Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,859,858 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 7 hrs ago by TCTTS
Aggrad08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Who wants a desktop wallpaper:

Saxsoon
AG
And I think it time . . .

CheeseSndwch
Just when I thought I was out...they pull me back in!
redline248
AG
After watching the trailer a few times I have some general thoughts/questions about Star Wars.

1. Do we all agree/assume that at the end of Jedi the civil war is essentially won by the rebellion and the Empire replaced by another republic?

Say someone like Leia or Mon Mothma are leading or influencing the new republic...Wouldn't they suggest strongly to either do away with the stormtrooper image or change it so it's not so reminiscent of the Empire? Pretty lousy marketing idea to keep them around 30 years later.

Does the shot of tie fighters shooting at the Falcon make it seem as if nothing had changed in the galaxy 30 years after the fall of Palpatine?
GiveEmHellBill
AG

.....so...happy............words......failing......
Red Five
AG
quote:
After watching the trailer a few times I have some general thoughts/questions about Star Wars.

1. Do we all agree/assume that at the end of Jedi the civil war is essentially won by the rebellion and the Empire replaced by another republic?

Say someone like Leia or Mon Mothma are leading or influencing the new republic...Wouldn't they suggest strongly to either do away with the stormtrooper image or change it so it's not so reminiscent of the Empire? Pretty lousy marketing idea to keep them around 30 years later.

Does the shot of tie fighters shooting at the Falcon make it seem as if nothing had changed in the galaxy 30 years after the fall of Palpatine?
the empire was broken up into sectors governed directly by the moffs, each with their own fleets most likely. Palpatines death might have broken the empire, but it would most likely have resulted in many independent imperial sectors that could have persisted for a very long time considering the rebellion was in no way organized enough to just assume governance of an entire galaxy.
redline248
AG
Yeah, but we are talking 30 years, here. You don't think eventually those little moffs lose their power or assimilate back into the republic?
jr15aggie
AG
I think the consensus is that the Republic broke the Empires stronghold over the galaxy, but they still controll several loyal star systems. Not everybody was ready to be part of a start up Republic. So basically the war still rages, but the Empire is no longer in control.

Not sure if the Sith are even involved with the Empire... Most likely it's led by a Governor of sorts and the remaining generals and admirals run the fleet. I'm sure the Sith will eventually lead or use the Empire for their doing, but my guess is the Sith are "dead" for 30 years and their return are a big reason for the turn of events in this movie.
HeadGames
AG
I love the X-Wing scene. I've always been a huge fan of the starfighters and their space dogfights!

If you look at these new upgraded X-wings, they appear to not need astromech droids?

Oh, and Storm Troopers are no longer clones. The picture is a good example of height differences between them.
Saxsoon
AG
The stormtroopers actually look menacing. You known JJ is going to have a blaster shot kill someone as a nod to how terrible of an aim they should have.
Inspector Spacetime
AG
quote:
Yeah, but we are talking 30 years, here. You don't think eventually those little moffs lose their power or assimilate back into the republic?
All these questions of "would things still be this way THIRTY years later?" just has me cursing Christopher Nolan for making me consider how long 30 years is between different planets/gravities/whatevers.

Damn, did Interstellar just ruin all movies with space travel for me?

More on topic: Trailer looks incredible. Expectations are now raised big time considering how much I've enjoyed the JJ Abrams Star Trek films-- and I wasn't a Trek fan beforehand. And since I'm certainly not one of "those" Star Wars purists, I say go do what you do best, JJ.
redline248
AG
quote:
Finally, something to inspire the rotund masses out from mommy's basement.

George Lucas will pollute culture with yet another Star Wars film inflicted on us. I detest the series, along with its successor Harry Potter. They steal, very poorly, from Wagner, and Americans eat this **** sandwich like its a cure all diet pill for their morbid obesity.

Standing ovation
Saxsoon
AG
In the Oscar Isaac XWing shot, you can still see the targeting computer. Everything looks old and faded. Probably not a lot of chance for technological advances the past 30 years. Definitely going with the technology of the original trilogy than the newer trilogy.
Fighting Texas Aggie Class of 2012
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
12 million views between both youtube links in 7 hours.

And only 10 of those were me.
SUPAGGIE
A suggestion for the new light saber

Thunder18
Duncan Idaho
Not sure if posted
YellowPot_97
AG
quote:

Also, note that the millennium falcon has a new square antenna instead of the big round one. I also like the broadsword mod on the light saber.

Well Lando did knock off the round one in the second Death Star.

Oh and that trailer kicked ass. LOVED the view like you're right on the tail of the Falcon.
AustinAg2K
Those of you *****ing about the lightsaber need to remember these are jedis. I doubt they're too concerned with accidentally cutting off a finger. They've got those lightsaber things mastered.
GiveEmHellBill
AG

This reminded me of a menorah, so the first thing that popped into my head was:

"That's funny......he doesn't look Druish"

Oh, btw....Drew McWeeny has confirmed that the voice of the narrator is none other than Andy Serkis.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Wasnt the Galactic Empire based on Nazi germany? If so...just as Nazis have loyal and faithful followers long after Hitlers death (skinheads, aryan brotherhood etc..) maybe Emperor Palpatine had that too?
mid90
AG
The music in the trailer is soooooo freaking perfect. The crescendo right as the black stormtrooper comes on screen in the desert, clearly afraid for his life was magnificent.

I WANT THIS MOVIE NAO
Saxsoon
AG
Malachi Constant
AG
i hope it's Revan
RingyAg

wangus12
AG
quote:
i hope it's Revan
Unfortunately Revan never "existed" since it is no longer canon.

If you hadn't figured it out, the x-wing scene was filmed at the Skelligs in Ireland. I have pictures that look like that backdrop of the attack
R0GUE
AG
quote:
The crescendo right as the black stormtrooper

The blormtrooper?
jlb2957
AG
Maybe I missed it... but am I the only one who was psyched to see Wedge?

Isn't Wedge supposed to be an even better pilot than Luke?
AgMarauder04
AG
quote:
Maybe I missed it... but am I the only one who was psyched to see Wedge?

Isn't Wedge supposed to be an even better pilot than Luke?

That wasn't him. The actor was asked, but turned down the role.
PooDoo
AG
quote:
Up on youtube.

I thought the link was a spoof when the huffing & puffing stormtrooper that happened to be black popped up.
lazuras_dc
AG
I thought he was going to say "we ain't found ****"
jr15aggie
AG
I guess that one saber is suppose to look like a cock-n-balls on purpose... If not I guess it's just my immaturity. I enjoyed the pics... The Internet is funny
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
redline248
AG
Every one of those lightsaber images, including the gif, is awesome.
First Page Last Page
Page 82 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.