Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,858,871 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by TCTTS
Dekker_Lentz
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TCTTS said:

For those who want Rey to still indeed be related to someone "special," I guess at this point my question is why? I see a lot of "Johnson shouldn't have done what he did" type sentiments. And on some level, I agree. But what's done is done. So I'm literally asking, in your minds, is it worth going back on the conclusion/message of his movie (that Rey is nobody from nowhere) to now do ANOTHER retcon and say, "Just kidding"? Forget whether Johnson was right or wrong in dong so. Right now, given the story as it currently exists, if you still want Rey's lineage to be of importance - at the risk of ANOTHER retcon - why? I'm genuinely curious.

I think the biggest issue with what happened in the TLJ is that it makes the Force seem random. Star Wars has always been about that everything happens for a reason. Han and Obi-Wan debate this in the very first movie. And the conclusion is the Force guides everything.

So, TFA presents that the Force selected Rey but the reason is unknown. TLJ rather clumsily suggests that Rey was not chosen by the Force because of her lineage, but I think TLJ still leaves it open that Rey was chosen. I think Episode 9 is going to have to provide us a reason why Rey was chosen. So I think Episode 9 is going to have to revisit the issue, but I think they can do it in a way that maintains the story setup in TLJ.

Here is Han Solo's Star Wars arc in a nutshell:

Episode 4:

Han Solo: Kid, I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other. I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything to make me believe there's one all-powerful Force controlling everything. There's no mystical energy field that controls my destiny. It's all a lot of simple tricks and nonsense.

Episode 7:

Han Solo: I used to wonder about that myself. Thought it was a bunch of mumbo-jumbo. A magical power holding together good and evil, the dark side and the light. Crazy thing is... it's true. The Force. The Jedi... All of it... It's all true.

I think Episode 9 is going to have to deliver on the Force is guiding the destiny of the universe and I think they will require delving into Rey some more.

The unanswered question is why is Rey the champion of the Light Side. I think "just because she is there" is going to be very unsatisfying answer. I also think this question being unanswered is a huge component of the Rey "Mary Sue" complaints.
Flashdiaz
AG
Rey was the Force's answer to finally put an end to the *******ization of the force that is known as the Skywalker lineage.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I laughed
SpreadsheetAg
AG
(Then I rage-cried over Ep8 .... again)
redline248
AG
Flashdiaz said:

Rey was the Force's answer to finally put an end to the *******ization of the force that is known as the Skywalker lineage.
Skywalker saga is not a *******ization of the Force. Maybe having Anakin being conceived by the Force is cheesy, or whatever. That doesn't mean the story of a powerful Jedi being seduced by the Dark Side, who helps overthrow the galaxy, and whose force sensitive child helps turn him back and end the Empire is somehow lessening the Force.

Maybe having Kylo be a Skywalker was a mistake, since it was just a repeat of Vader.
Flashdiaz
AG
Anakin was conceived without a father and possibly from someone manipulating the force, thus the force was manipulated and created an imbalance. Anakin, Luke, Leia and Kylo shouldn't have existed in the first place. The force is now using Rey to correct that mistake.

(from a certain point of view)
TCTTS
AG
I dig this idea.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
Flashdiaz said:

Anakin was conceived without a father and possibly from someone manipulating the force, thus the force was manipulated and created an imbalance. Anakin, Luke, Leia and Kylo shouldn't have existed in the first place. The force is now using Rey to correct that mistake.

I like this idea as well. At least it makes it rational for her NOT to have a lineage and to be SO powerful. I am going with this until they screw it up in the movie.
TCTTS
AG
Dekker_Lentz
AG
Flashdiaz said:

I can get behind this as well. But they are going to have show this in Episode 9.

Which gets back to TCTTS original question, which is Episode 9 is going to have to explain more about Rey and her relationship to the story.
Flashdiaz
AG
I doubt they'll explain it like this, they'll probably just explain that she was an answer to Kylo.

but we'll know the truth
redline248
AG
There is zero chance they delve into Anakin's conception, and the whole premise relies on someone manipulating the Force, instead of Anakin being chosen by the Force. Which is the movies' stance on the matter.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
TCTTS said:

My dad bought that 2-LP album for me in the summer of '77. I still have both the poster and the album. The album is very well-worn, and the poster shows some signs of 42 years, but the poster is among my movie room collection.

TCTTS
AG
Wow, nice! Ha, I'd never once seen that poster before and it's been hanging on your wall for years. Awesome.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
TCTTS said:

Wow, nice! Ha, I'd never once seen that poster before and it's been hanging on your wall for years. Awesome.
I don't know how it managed to survive all these years. I even took it with me to A&M - good thing, too, as my Mom got rid of a lot of the things I left behind. Not sure how this poster made it through all the apartment moves I made in my time in Aggieland. After that, I acquired this cheap frame for it and it's been that way ever since.
bearamedic99
AG
I didn't see who posted this when I read it but I knew it was you anyway. An OG SW fan.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Well, I didn't ask for it, and it actually made my life a living hell, but one of my 6th grade nicknames was "Mr. Star Wars" ...
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
You should change your name to Nerf Herder Aggie
The Collective
AG
The Collective
AG
Did this video ever make the rounds here?
TCTTS
AG
This is super inside baseball, but also pretty hilarious and incredibly petty. Basically, every year, Comic-Con sets an exact date and time for press to register for hotels. It's this insane gold rush where, if you're even seconds late, you can end up with a hotel miles away from the convention center, and people are always getting screwed, and everyone's been *****ing about this system for years.

Anyway, this year, it was just announced that Comic-Con is purposefully waiting until right when Star Wars Celebration starts on Thursday - where many of the press will be who are attending BOTH conventions - and now all those press people are throwing fits who have to deal with the hotel registration ordeal instead of doing whatever Celebration thing they were going to do Thursday morning.

It's not THAT big of a deal, of course, but a blatantly petty thing on Comic-Con's part because Disney used to be their prize panel, except this year, in particular, Disney has Celebration and D23, where they'll be debuting all their footage and making their announcements instead. So Comic-Con is basically ******* with Celebration any way they can...

Sex Panther
AG
That's ****ing awesome. It's like the Pelicans acting like they were going to trade Anthony Davis to the Lakers this year just to piss all their players off and mess with the chemistry.
AliasMan02
AG
CJS4715 said:

Lots of folks on Twitter saying this is gonna be huge, fwiw.

DB Coach
AG
CJS4715 said:

Did this video ever make the rounds here?

What an @$$hat!

Yeah, he got what he wanted.
DB Coach
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

TCTTS said:

My dad bought that 2-LP album for me in the summer of '77. I still have both the poster and the album. The album is very well-worn, and the poster shows some signs of 42 years, but the poster is among my movie room collection.

That is a badass poster!
Ag Since 83
AG
Only panel lottery I've heard about so far is the Episode IX panel and I did not win
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Got into the Episode IX panel!

(And the TPM panel.)

CAN'T WAIT.
twilly
AG
Only got the Mandalorian. Nope on Galaxy's Edge and Ep IX. But I did get the LEGO and Funko exclusives. So all in all, I'd call it a stand up double.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Not gonna lie, was really hoping for those other 2 panels. (Mandalorian and Galaxy's Edge.)

But, I really can't complain with what I got. My weekend is made.
jokershady
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Got into the Episode IX panel!

(And the TPM panel.)

CAN'T WAIT.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Flashdiaz
AG
Ag Since 83
AG
Complete strikeout for me
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
That sucks, man. I honestly was bracing for this to be the case for me.
Ag Since 83
AG
Yeah, pretty disappointing, but I'll be watching the livestream somewhere, plus there's a few other panels later in the day hopefully I'll get into.

Reservations for two other stages are available tomorrow at 10, is that right?
First Page Last Page
Page 805 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.