Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,859,004 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 3 hrs ago by TCTTS
Liquid Wrench
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

twilly said:

I went to the show in Dallas a few months back. You literally watch the entire movie while the symphony plays the score.

It's a very unique way to watch the movie. It's really cool when you get to see the intense music parts, like the trench run or tie fighter chase. Go see it!!!
What kind of $$$ am I looking at when the Houston Symphony does TESB?
The cheapest seats I saw were Obstructed View for $39 and No View for $29. I ended up skipping The ticket prices, or least those that were available, exceeded my interest level.

Went to see Carmina Burana today instead.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
TheBruceWayne said:

Would love some KOTOR.
Only if Ed Asner plays the live action Master Vrook.
amercer
AG
They do a Star Wars movie + live orchestra probably 10 times a year in DC. Either at the Kennedy center or outdoors at wolf trap. I'd go for that instead of 150$ a ticket in Houston or Dallas....
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
This is so badass.

double aught
AG
Love that 80s synth sound.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Liquid Wrench
Slow news day?

Superheroes and sci-fi stars given 16th-century makeover

(This gallery also could have gone in the Marvel or DC threads, but I had to pick one).
Ag Since 83
AG
People going to Celebration:

You might be aware of this already / it might already be on this thread for all I know, but I just learned this. Between now and Monday you can sign up for lotteries to reserve a spot in the big panels.

https://www.swclottery.com/group_lotteries/swc_pl_2019/Star_Wars_Celebration
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
It's a double-edged sword. Already signed up for the lotteries, and it will avoid having to camp out and do hours and hours of waiting, but on the other hand, we could be shut out of every single one.

Guess we'll see.
twilly
AG
Hey guys, Celebration is only a....
SpreadsheetAg
AG
twilly said:

Well done
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Urban Ag
AG
twilly said:

I get this.

*********it all I get this. I had the f'n action figure. Nice.
bearamedic99
AG
Care to explain to the non dorks?
Urban Ag
AG
bearamedic99 said:

No problem non-dork.

I had the action figure when I was a kid. He was called Weequay (I had to search that to get the spelling right). Was a guard/bounty hunter/whatever for Jabba. The figure came out sometime after Return of Jedi.

"Weequay" sounds kind of like "week away"

Now you know.

Urban Ag
AG
and it appears some of the above posters were also kids in the 80's cause I can't think of why any of would remember that otherwise.

Of course I can't remember what I ate for dinner last night but I can remember this.
jabberwalkie09
AG
Urban Ag said:

bearamedic99 said:

No problem non-dork.

I had the action figure when I was a kid. He was called Weequay (I had to search that to get the spelling right). Was a guard/bounty hunter/whatever for Jabba. The figure came out sometime after Return of Jedi.

"Weequay" sounds kind of like "week away"

Now you know.

?cid=19f5b51a5ca76eec61493161498467ef
Urban Ag
AG
serious business
jabberwalkie09
AG
Urban Ag said:

serious business

Of course. It's the internet, and this is TexAgs.

But *******, I need some Episode IX stuff now.
The Collective
AG
One week from now, we will be watching the Episode IX panel.
jokershady
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
redline248
AG
Urban Ag said:

and it appears some of the above posters were also kids in the 80's cause I can't think of why any of would remember that otherwise.

Of course I can't remember what I ate for dinner last night but I can remember this.
I first learned it sometime in the 90s, but that species was also in various games and even in the Clone Wars series, or maybe in Rebels.

Was the original toy supposed to be that one's name, or just species? Like, I doubt an Admiral Akbar toy would have said "Mon Calimari." But the Ewoks who were unnamed in ROTJ had names on their toys.
AliasMan02
AG
A lot of the early toys mixed up names and species and stuff. Like Walrusman, whose name was actually retconned to Panda Baba.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
TCTTS
AG
WHAT A ******* ASSH*LE!!!

Seriously, though, Johnson continuously comes across as the nicest, most gracious guy ever. I just wish he would have made a better movie. While I'm not for retconning Rey's lineage at this point, it is good to hear that Abrams and Terrio are basically doing their own thing, and that Johnson is somewhat out of the loop.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Quote:

While I'm not for retconning Rey's lineage at this point
I am. Otherwise what the heck was the point of the music when she got the lightsabre from Kylo in the snow forest? John Williams' scores for these movies have always told a story, and the choice of that music, the same from A New Hope when Luke sees his dead family and realizes his destiny has arrived, still suggests to me a relationship/identity that TLJ took a huge dump upon.
TCTTS
AG
I think you answered your own question. Rey finally embraced/realized her own destiny in that moment. That, and it was Luke's lightsaber. I think the music worked perfectly fine without having to allude to her lineage. That, and at this point do we really want them to double back? If Johnson did one thing good with TLJ it was to say that bloodlines don't matter. I really like that message. And now we want them to go back on that and say, "Actually, screw that, Rey needs to be related to someone cool to make a difference in the galaxy." At this point, that would make no sense to me.
Flashdiaz
AG
Ugh ""I want him to do stuff that I wasn't expecting him to do""

This was my biggest problem with RJ is that he did things in TLJ for the sake of being unexpected as opposed to where the story took him.
TCTTS
AG
Exactly. My biggest gripe as well.
Urban Ag
AG
TCTTS said:

I think you answered your own question. Rey finally embraced/realized her own destiny in that moment. That, and it was Luke's lightsaber. I think the music worked perfectly fine without having to allude to her lineage. That, and at this point do we really want them to double back? If Johnson did one thing good with TLJ it was to say that bloodlines don't matter. I really like that message. And now we want them to go back on that and say, "Actually, screw that, Rey needs to be related to someone cool to make a difference in the galaxy." At this point, that would make no sense to me.
So after reading this I was about to say that I guess we are just supposed to completely right off Rey's vision scene and the fact that is so completely powerful in the force. Means nothing. Bloodlines don't matter.

And I started thinking, again, how lame that is. The vision at Maz's place seemed to absolutely be a huge piece of the puzzle in this trilogy. But you go me thinking here about re-interpreting the vision scene from TFA. So I broke down the vision scene again and I am thinking more now that JJ and RJ may have more on the same sheet of music than most of us have thought.

First, she is drawn to the saber. Why? Rey (as we come to find out soon) is very powerful in the Force. The saber was the weapon of one of the most powerful Jedi ever, Anakin. The saber was in the possession of a powerful Jedi who defeated him, Obi Wan. The saber was later given to the son of Anakin who also became a powerful Jedi, Luke. The saber could be said to have some sort of mystical force imprint on it of the Jedi that formerly had it.

Next scene is the hallway in Cloud City that leads to the platform where Vader lops off Luke's hand, holding the saber, and tells him he is Luke's father. You can clearly here the aggrieved Luke "noooooooooo". Why? Two thoughts. First, it underscores that Rey needs to find Luke, not just for the resistance but to help her understand the Force. Second, Rian hits on the concept of "balance" between the light and the dark. The saber was wielded by Anakin/Vader when he became a Sith (the dark) and by Luke (the light).

Next scene is a grieving Luke at the scene of the massacre, most likely assumed to be after Kylo and the KOR kill all of his students. Why? Again, it underscores Rey's need to seek out Luke for the reasons mentioned above.

Next scene Is Kylo and the Knights of Ren at the massacre. Why? To underscore the ruthless nature of the dark side, of Kylo, and that they massacred the next generation of Jedi students. In other words, this is your enemy Rey.

Next is little Rey on Jakku with Unkar Plutt crying watching a ship take off. Why? Maybe because of exactly what Kylo told her. Her parents were drunks that abandoned her. This one is hard to rationalize because why was grown Rey living alone in a rusted out AT-AT if she was sold or left to Plutt? But I think the point is, yes, your parents are scum that left you behind. You came from nothing.

Then to Starkiller Base. Obi Wan's voice is clear. Why? Probably just because Obi Wan had a strong connection with the saber and he seems to be calling out a warning to Rey through the Force. Then Kylo appears with saber ignited. This clearly drives home the point that it is her destiny to face him, to destroy him if need be. It is inevitable.

TL, DR: I think the title "The Force Awakens" really means just that. The Force awakened in Rey. A nobody, from nobody parents, who is being guided by the Force. The Force brought her to BB8, to Finn, to Han and Chewie, to the Saber, to Luke, the cave, and to face Kylo, not once but twice already. Not saying any of this changes my tune on TLJ. It doesn't, I think it sucks. But maybe there was more coordination between JJ and RJ than many of us thought. based on the vision sequence almost everyone determined that Rey was somehow a Skywalker or a Kenobi or even some spawn of Palpatine. But all along, she was just Rey.

redline248
AG
So, in most of the OT we don't get much about the Force. Luke is told his dad was a Jedi and he needs to learn to use the Force. No explanation of why he can train but Han can't. Then later we are told the Force is strong in Luke's family. That the twins were separated and hidden bc the offspring of Anakin would be special. That basically establishes that bloodlines matter.

Then in the prequel trilogy we get a little more about the why (effing midiclorians). But we also are told that the reason Anakin can pod race is bc of his sensitivity to the Force. This establishes that those with the Force exhibit it early in life, and it's always there. That's why the Jedi take them as babies or whatever.

So why, then, would the Force need to "awaken" in Rey? Are we ever given any indication that she excels at things bc of the force? She finds junk and trades it, she can fly stuff, she can fight. She is drawn to the saber, and she has dreams or visions of an island in a sea, most likely where Luke is. Is it already there or not?

Then, Last Jedi says it magically manifests in a random nobody bc Kylo is getting powerful in the dark side. So, Kylo is strong bc of his bloodlines, Rey is powerful by accident. Got it. Lucky for us that old man lived on Jakku.

For the record, I don't have a problem with the idea that bloodlines don't matter. I just assumed that was obvious all along. You don't get an order of 1000s of Jedi by using the same families. But TFA giving so many hints to Rey having some lineage, only for TLJ to say nah it's all random...that requires people to make up their own rationalizations about stuff like urban did.

TCTTS
AG
redline248 said:

But TFA giving so many hints to Rey having some lineage, only for TLJ to say nah it's all random...that requires people to make up their own rationalizations about stuff like urban did.

I've never understood this sentiment. TFA only portrays Rey as waiting on her family, but that family is never once alluded to as special. The fact that this aspect of the story is presented as a mystery doesn't automatically mean that her family is of an important bloodline. What else in the movie hints at some kind of lineage? Han giving Rey a look in the Falcon could mean just about anything - I feel like that's something that has been blown way out of proportion - and Maz asking "Who's the girl?" is likely nothing more than genuine curiosity. Rey's Force vision has nothing to do with family - it's more about destiny - and anything to do with Kylo and Snoke talking about Rey is frustration that some random girl - granted, one who is mysteriously strong in the Force - is screwing things up. But none of it is about Rey's family. Or even her past, really. It's just a bunch of semi-vague comments that are more a byproduct of Abrams' stupid mystery box storytelling style than anything actually hinting at Rey's family being of importance. When you really look at the evidence, there's literally nothing there. Is there something I'm missing?
TCTTS
AG
Love this.
PatAg
AG
I still think she will turn out to "be" someone and not just a random.
First Page Last Page
Page 803 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.