Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,860,274 Views | 43820 Replies | Last: 2 min ago by The Porkchop Express
The Collective
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Damn it Brian, I was hoping you'd come out swinging.
Dekker_Lentz
AG
Is anyone reading any of the new Star Wars comic books? Are they any good?
Render
AG
Oh, I had no idea. Thanks for the heads-up.

I still like her take on fan frustrations. "Go make a new franchise if you want those things. Don't kick people out of their own house."
Render
AG
A friend read Thrawn and said it was a pretty good read. Scoundrels is a newer Legends book and is good. It's an Ocean's 11-style heist with Han and Lando.

Edit: Oh wait you said comics; ha my bad. Still good books, though.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
solution: stop getting your star wars news from twitter and youtube; watch the movies and the shows read the books and the comics and decide if you like them.
Dr. Teeth
AG
Dekker_Lentz said:

Is anyone reading any of the new Star Wars comic books? Are they any good?Is anyone reading any of the new Star Wars comic books? Are they any good?
I liked the main Star Wars title and the Darth Vader series. The first Vader series by Jason Aaron follows Vader trying to figure out who the Force-strong pilot was that blew up the first Death Star... well worth the read. The newer series by Charles Soule takes place right after Ep. III when he first became Vader.

bangobango
AG
CJS4715 said:

Grace has 3/4 of a million subscribers, it is amazing to me. I watch her a lot and disagree with her on just about everything. When she is sourcing info, I imagine she is on theforce.net or reddit getting info and then twisting it into her argument. Like I said earlier, she has been after Kennedy for over a year. Kennedy may end up taking the fall, and many things could have been better, but this is the mess you get when the film timeline is based on Wall Street.

I don't think that is accurate. She gave a very positive review for the TLJ.
Ag Since 83
AG
The idea of Hamill and Johnson on the awards circuit together is amusing. The comments are predictable

PaulSimonsGhost
AG
The Last Jedi is now on Netflix.

Meh.

Saiki K. has new episodes.

Sweet.
The Collective
AG
This is causing quite the stir.
Render
AG
These prequel apologists, I swear...
Quote:

He was supposed to be monotone, moody, and confused. He was supposed to be numb and callous. Everything someone who's depressed, held back, and emotionally beaten coming from a life of slavery should be. I can't see anyone else playing Anakin now.

Christensen did what Lucas wanted him to do perfectly. The problem is that what Lucas wanted Christensen to do wasn't good. Just because a person executes a bad idea, doesn't make the bad idea, good.

israeliag
AG
Do people really think Hayden Christiansen was the worst? He perfectly played the dad of the kid who "was gonna go to Tosche Station to pick up some power converters"
YouBet
AG
I just watched the first 10 min of TLJ on Netflix. My second viewing of movie. I turned it off. Ive never turned off a SW movie before.

The opening scene with Poe phone pranking him is just nauseating.

Tidbit I didn't notice on first viewing is that he is only one out there. Leia orders him to return so they can haul ass. He says no and switches off comms. A minute later the entire bombing wing appears out of nowhere and proceeds to WWII bomb the dreadnought in space against Leias wishes and against the laws of physics.
AliasMan02
AG
YouBet said:

I just watched the first 10 min of TLJ on Netflix. My second viewing of movie. I turned it off. Ive never turned off a SW movie before.

Tidbit I didn't notice on first viewing is that he is only one out there. Leia orders him to return so they can haul ass. He says no and switches off comms. A minute later the entire bombing wing appears out of nowhere and proceeds to WWII bomb the dreadnought in space against Leias wishes and against the laws of physics.
Poe's exchange is very Star Warsy and the opening 20 minutes of the movie is really great; its issues emerge later.

The bombers arrived via hyperspace, which is indicated (not said explicitly, but clearly implied), so shouldn't be a mystery.

The WWII vibe is the basis of ALL space combat in Star Wars.

It makes every bit of sense in regards to the physics. Why don't people understand how artificial gravity works in Star Wars, especially when in that scene you JUST witnessed someone FALLING between decks? How do you think Star Wars bombs would/should work?

There are a lot of things about TLJ to dislike, but I don't understand why suddenly the established tropes and physics are suddenly some sort of travesty.
double aught
AG
I enjoyed the movie when I saw it opening weekend. Afterward, the nonstop barrage of negativity had me second guessing myself. But I watched it on Netflix last night, and my initial impression was reaffirmed. It's a solid film.
FL_Ag1998
AG
AliasMan02 said:

YouBet said:

Poe's exchange is very Star Warsy and the opening 20 minutes of the movie is really great; its issues emerge later.

I'll agree with you on the Star Wars physics stuff, but the opening "your mom/on hold" phone prank? C'mon, that was not Star Wars at all, and it was completely stupid and cringeworthy...literally...when I saw TLJ the first time, my thought at this exchange was, "Seriously? Uhhhhh, I hope the movie gets better than this fast."
PatAg
AG
FL_Ag1998 said:

AliasMan02 said:

YouBet said:

I'll agree with you on the Star Wars physics stuff, but the opening "your mom/on hold" phone prank? C'mon, that was not Star Wars at all, and it was completely stupid and cringeworthy...literally...when I saw TLJ the first time, my thought at this exchange was, "Seriously? Uhhhhh, I hope the movie gets better than this fast."
That was honestly one of the things that bothered me most in the movie, and set a bad precedent for the rest of the movie. I still liked it, because its star wars and I love that ****, but i didnt love it
Urban Ag
AG
I just got back from a two week vacation and hit the treadmill and noticed TLJ was on Netflix. So of course, I played it.kin

Honest to God, I have never railed against the politics of the new SW movies. But got dam, all the First Order officers are angry white males.

Second observation, whoever the F was Rose's sister should have had a starring role because she is smokin pilot Asian hotness, damn Son. And the A-wing white girl, same. Yeah.

Damn Disney, if you gonna PC this all up, get the right hotties in place. I've got the Jumangee cast on line juan.

The Debt
PatAg said:

FL_Ag1998 said:

AliasMan02 said:

YouBet said:

That was honestly one of the things that bothered me most in the movie, and set a bad precedent for the rest of the movie. I still liked it, because its star wars and I love that ****, but i didnt love it

Poe isn't Starlord.

The writing isn't as funny as they think it is. TFA did this too. Poe is captured by stormtroopers and he is kneeling before Kylo ren "....." "....." "who talks first? You talk first?"

There is minimal humor in ep4-6. Ep 1-3 tried it with jar jar and r2 doing oil slicks. Just stick to fantasy in space ffs.
cbr
AG
oh and lol, how is it possible for any ******* to make a star wars franchise movie and get a 46% score at rotten tomatoes? LOL.

i'll tell you how, make a movie worse than phantom menace (55%), finish off two of the most iconic characters in movie history in an insulting, asinine way, and fill it full of PC bull**** agendas....
Render
AG
cbr said:

oh and lol, how is it possible for any ******* to make a star wars franchise movie and get a 46% score at rotten tomatoes? LOL.

i'll tell you how, make a movie worse than phantom menace (55%), finish off two of the most iconic characters in movie history in an insulting, asinine way, and fill it full of PC bull**** agendas....
The Collective
AG
I will do my part to make sure these posts persist for the next year.
fig96
AG
cbr said:

Actually, it's largely because there was literally an organized campaign from some very sad individuals who wanted to torpedo the film. Which you'd know if you'd paid any attention at all.
YouBet
AG
cbr said:

Yeah, you can't trust RT anymore. It's been comprised. I would ignore reviews there.
redline248
AG
Since it was brought up...

In my 2 viewings I did not get the implication that the bombers came out of hyperspace. Is it that hard to show them do so?

Also, did none of those bomber or fighter pilots have radios that connected to Leia's cruiser? Or did they all also ignore the general's direct order?
AliasMan02
AG
redline248 said:

Since it was brought up...

In my 2 viewings I did not get the implication that the bombers came out of hyperspace. Is it that hard to show them do so?

Also, did none of those bomber or fighter pilots have radios that connected to Leia's cruiser? Or did they all also ignore the general's direct order?

What does showing them emerge from hyperspace add? What does it matter if they came from the next system over or were hiding behind a moon or whatever?

We never saw Leia contact anyone else. I assumed that Poe cutting her off and then ordering everyone into the fray put them in a situation they couldn't just pull out of; they were already committed. Really it's just advancing the plot, which is fine. People making big mistakes they shouldn't is pretty much central to every adventure movie ever.
OnlyForNow
AG
I think the speed is the hyperspace argument.

If you're traveling at a high rate of speed in space and you drop something, it will also have a high rate of speed.

If you're moving faster than another object, you could effectively aim correctly and get whatever it is you're dropping to hit that object.

Flashdiaz
AG
this bomber sequence discussion is tired... how about we discuss how easy to destroy the bombers are. no shields, 1 tie can take out a ship, in fact, I think 1 tie took out 2.

to summarize, the bombers:
- move slow
- are easy to destroy
- have to be directly above their target to work.
The Collective
AG
Were the bombers completely new to SW lore or were they in some expanded universe game or other media?
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
CJS4715 said:

Were the bombers completely new to SW lore or were they in some expanded universe game or other media?
AliasMan02
AG
OnlyForNow said:

I think the speed is the hyperspace argument.

If you're traveling at a high rate of speed in space and you drop something, it will also have a high rate of speed.

If you're moving faster than another object, you could effectively aim correctly and get whatever it is you're dropping to hit that object.

Not sure I'm following. What are you talking about? The bombers?
The Collective
AG
I remember those. I was curious about the low-speed version the Resistance was using. The tie bombers look a little quicker.
Dro07
AG
Hyperspace is either going really fast or jumping a worm hole... depends on who you talk to i guess.
OnlyForNow
AG
Yes.
AliasMan02
AG
OnlyForNow said:

Yes.

The bombers we're in realspace when they attacked so I'm not sure what your comments t is about.
First Page Last Page
Page 738 of 1253

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.