Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,859,373 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 5 hrs ago by TCTTS
gougler08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
CJS4715 said:

americathegreat1492 said:

I'm anxiously awaiting Brian's non-spoilery thoughts. Im about one hour out from seeing the movie myself.

Here is my guess. Brian loved it; TCTTS hated it. The truth will be somewhere in the middle.
Seems like this is a strong bet
InnerCityAg
Maybe Maz will have a new pair of goggles... just for TCTTS
TCTTS
AG
My lengthy reaction is on page four of the spoiler thread whenever you guys are ready to find out.

In short... not great, but not bad either. Some amazing moments sprinkled through what was ultimately a frustrating story overall. Didn't feel any animosity toward in the end, but it wasnt really all that engaging either. Was just kind of numb to it leaving the theater. Anxious to see more reactions pour in over the weekend, though...
The Collective
AG
Oh damn. Tell me that I have pages and pages of bickering to look forward to, please.
TCTTS
AG
Ha, sorry. Sadly, it's just not a movie worth fighting over. Haven't even spoken directly to Brian. And unfortunately my sentiments are shared more often than not in the spoiler thread it seems.
Saul Goodman
AG
I'll raise my hand as one who is really into this movie. I thought it was great, but it did leave me feeling a little hollow in regards to a couple of characters. My extended thoughts are on page 10 of the spoiler thread.

I'm not surprised people on this board are so divided. The movie takes a lot of risks, is very different, and I think it just depends on the individual and what you want out of a Star Wars movie. Count me as one that is on board with 90% of it.
The Collective
AG
TCTTS said:

Ha, sorry. Sadly, it's just not a movie worth fighting over. Haven't even spoken directly to Brian. And unfortunately my sentiments are shared more often than not in the spoiler thread it seems.

Damn. One of my close friends texted me just a few minutes ago, and said, "Hey, I know you haven't seen the film yet, but if I were expressing this in terms of another film that we saw together - this is Star Trek V". Star Trek V is kind of our doomsday, oh **** this sucks reference.
jabberwalkie09
AG
CJS4715 said:

TCTTS said:

Damn. One of my close friends texted me just a few minutes ago, and said, "Hey, I know you haven't seen the film yet, but if I were expressing this in terms of another film that we saw together - this is Star Trek V". Star Trek V is kind of our doomsday, oh **** this sucks reference.
I'm not sure if that person has seen the PT then.
TCTTS
AG

Same. People cheered at times, no doubt, but I was surprised by just how bored I and everyone around me seemed to be for the most part. I'm finding this divergence far more fascinating that the movie itself.
The Collective
AG
Also worth mentioning that the review on Star Wars News Net called this a "generationally unifying masterpiece". Wonder how that viewpoint will age; it's not looking like a correct opinion right now.

Anyway, I'm just using this to distract me from going and looking at all any real details. Now, I am going into this movie with tempered expectations, so I wonder what impact that might have on me.
Buck Compton
AG
I'm seeing it tomorrow morning, but maybe I'll understand more then... the opinions being so diverging is just confusing. Did people just want a retread of ESB? Do people just have some ore-defined expectation of Star Wars movies? We're they expecting a Marvel-like popcorn flick where you don't have to think at all? Or did certain people's 40 year attachment to certain characters set their expectations?

I'll see tomorrow I guess, but surprising to see the reaction be so severe.
tremble
AG
Buck Compton said:

I'm seeing it tomorrow morning, but maybe I'll understand more then... the opinions being so diverging is just confusing. Did people just want a retread of ESB? Do people just have some ore-defined expectation of Star Wars movies? We're they expecting a Marvel-like popcorn flick where you don't have to think at all? Or did certain people's 40 year attachment to certain characters set their expectations?

I'll see tomorrow I guess, but surprising to see the reaction be so severe.

It just comes across flat to me. They've definitely "Marvelized" the humor in parts of the movie. It's a Star Wars movie, but IMHO it's just not a very good one. I enjoyed TFA more than I did this, and R1 sits head and shoulders above both.

There's a lot of stuff that could have worked really well if they had simply cut one useless portion of the film out and expanded those storylines.
TCTTS
AG
Straight up, it's just overly long, boring at times, and kind of flat. With a few amazing moments sprinkled in, along with a few holy-crap-that-was-dumb moments as well. My opinion has nothing to do with any preconceived notions or set expectations. There's some brilliant story telling in it, and some decidedly not so brilliant storytelling in it. And I think certain people are simply latching onto either of those threads more than the other.
The Collective
AG
Discussion for another day, but it will be an interesting discussion around mid-January:

What are everyone's thoughts on Rian Johnson being handed the keys to the kingdom for the next saga? Disney liked what they saw. Most critics liked what they saw. Fans are lukewarm at best.

Another discussion point. Rian mentioned in an interview that working on Star Wars was great, because there was never a budget constraint. Is that actually hurting Star Wars films at this point.
Farmer1906
AG
TCTTS said:

Straight up, it's just overly long, boring at times, and kind of flat. With a few amazing moments sprinkled in, along with a few holy-crap-that-was-dumb moments as well. My opinion has nothing to do with any preconceived notions or set expectations. There's some brilliant story telling in it, and some decidedly not so brilliant storytelling in it. And I think certain people are simply latching onto either of those threads more than the other.
I felt it was the opposite of boring. There might have been too much going on. I felt like I needed to take a nap after because I was spent. Big emotional stuff happened early and often.
tremble
AG
He's done enough movies that I've liked, and there's enough good things in TLJ, that I'm fine with him helming a brand new story in the universe.

Maybe dropping him mid-stream with all of the balls floating in the air wasn't the best call though.
Farmer1906
AG
tremble said:

He's done enough movies that I've liked, and there's enough good things in TLJ, that I'm fine with him helming a brand new story in the universe.

Maybe dropping him mid-stream with all of the balls floating in the air wasn't the best call though.
huh?
The Collective
AG
TCTTS said:

I'm finding this divergence far more fascinating that the movie itself.

The divergence in this direction for blockbusters has to be pretty short, right? This is like Indie film level stuff where you see an audience loathe something that critics enjoy.
Buck Compton
AG
CJS4715 said:

TCTTS said:

The divergence in this direction for blockbusters has to be pretty short, right? This is like Indie film level stuff where you see an audience loathe something that critics enjoy.
Thats my point. If all that's true, then what are the critics seeing?
Beat40
Buck Compton said:

CJS4715 said:

TCTTS said:

Thats my point. If all that's true, then what are the critics seeing?
Yeah, it's a huge disparity. Guess I'll find out Saturday evening.

I can't help but feel like there were some really high expectations. I also can't help but feel like releasing this on the heals of Thor didn't help - that and the release of the Infinity War trailer right after Thanksgiving.

I also am not sure if this being the 3rd Star Wars in 3 years is part of that affect as well.
tremble
AG
Mid-stream, in media res, right in the middle of a trilogy which he didn't start and which he isn't going to finish.

He took a scalpel to the first movie and excised a good chunk of the OT, which is fine. But he didn't have a lot of well-executed ideas to replace them with.
Farmer1906
AG
He had some input with JJ. Was given plenty of time and obviously plenty of freedom. I think he was set up to succeed.
Ag Since 83
AG
I guess I owe this thread more than the 1 or 2 phrases I posted last night while getting dinner after the movie. I'd say I agree with the overall sentiment. I'm not sure I would go as far TCTTS in saying that it wasn't engaging. Parts of it were very engaging.

I feel I saw 2 different movies that didn't mesh well together. One movie, which centers around a small number of characters, was really well done. Character arcs, cool visuals, surprising moments, etc. The other movie the other characters were in was a wild, inconsistent, sloppy mess that wastes a lot of time.
AMW2010
AG
KYLO KILLS HAN SOLO!!!!
wangus12
AG
CJS4715 said:

Oh damn. Tell me that I have pages and pages of bickering to look forward to, please.
You have no idea how much bickering there is. But it isn't between BES and TC. They both presented level headed reviews.
AgEng06
AG
Ok nerds.... I need to get myself up to speed on the saga (and also my wife, who I don't think has seen more than 1 or 2 movies, but she wants to go watch VIII). What order should we watch all of the previous films to get the best affect?

Note: I have seen IV, V, and VI a few times each and used to own the VHS trilogy. I have also seen I and Rogue One.

Go!
VanZandt92
I keep getting this ad on my Texags on Chrome. Either they think I'm gay or they know I want to create my own Star Wars clothing.

[img][/img]
InnerCityAg
AgEng06 said:

Ok nerds.... I need to get myself up to speed on the saga (and also my wife, who I don't think has seen more than 1 or 2 movies, but she wants to go watch VIII). What order should we watch all of the previous films to get the best affect?

Note: I have seen IV, V, and VI a few times each and used to own the VHS trilogy. I have also seen I and Rogue One.

Go!

I would maybe watch 7.
InnerCityAg
VanZandt92 said:

I keep getting this ad on my Texags on Chrome. Either they think I'm gay or they know I want to create my own Star Wars clothing.

[img][/img]

That is ultra gay.
wangus12
AG
AgEng06 said:

Go!
IV,V,I,II,III,VI,VII

If you want to throw RO put it after III
VanZandt92
But you must admit it sort of works for Star Wars.
The Collective
AG
InnerCityAg
The prequels are not important to the overall story. You can trash I, II, and III.
The Collective
AG
Oops - can't edit now. There are no buttons in Star Wars, so that sweater is a no go.
InnerCityAg
VanZandt92 said:

But you must admit it sort of works for Star Wars.

First Page Last Page
Page 644 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.