Star Wars Discussion Thread

AGGies0311
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
But Kenobi was a hermit who did nothing out in the wastelands of Tatooine, sure he fought Maul for half a minute but thats it. Theres no story there
jabberwalkie09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

jabberwalkie09 said:

CJS4715 said:

What has never made sense to me is Anakin going from Jedi to executioner so quickly. If maybe Padme had already been killed, I'd get that as it would be a clear breaking point. His turn against the Jedi in the films just happens so fast that it barely makes sense. I will say that if you've spent time with the animated series, it really does help you get there mentally, but it is poorly executed in the films.
Looking back on the films, and I guess this may be some what tainted by having seen TCW in its entirety, but I really remember Anakin in ROTS acting like a child. He had been pretty frustrated with the Jedi Council and the way they ran things, and it kind of came to a head in ROTS and Palpatine just nudged him over the edge with his manipulation. Anakin was pissed over not being granted the rank of master, yet being on the Council.

I've always just thought that he saw Palpatine as someone who sympathized with him and could give him what he wanted, more power.

But yeah, his frustration with the Jedi was not so communicated very well in ROTS as to why he went over.
had the same problem with Finn in TFA. One minute he decides to spring Poe, next minute he's killing everybody he knows with the guns of a TIE fighter.
Yeah, about the only thing I can think of why Finn had such a drastic change is that self-preservation kicked in and he decided to fly away rather than fight against.

Really though, I don't know a whole lot about his character background other than he grew up knowing only the First Order.
BrownCoat
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AGGies0311 said:

But Kenobi was a hermit who did nothing out in the wastelands of Tatooine, sure he fought Maul for half a minute but thats it. Theres no story there
For a guy who did nothing for 20 years he sure did have a good idea about the Empire and it's capabilities. That is one thing I noticed during my latest viewing of ANH. The comments he makes during the movie give the hint he is more familiar with "current" Imperial tactics and weapons than a simple hermit would be. Given that when he went into hiding the Empire was still using clone war technology how would he recognize a TIE fighter so quickly and know about the current weaponry/"precision" of current Storm Troopers?

I think he was up to something, not anything large scale but possibly limited to his system/planet.
jabberwalkie09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
AGGies0311 said:

But Kenobi was a hermit who did nothing out in the wastelands of Tatooine, sure he fought Maul for half a minute but thats it. Theres no story there
I don't know about that.

Kenobi, while he definitely lived in seclusion to watch over Luke, he did have some dust ups with the Hutt Cartel. I'd imagine they could do a pretty good story out of that.
Flashdiaz
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
BrownCoat said:

AGGies0311 said:

But Kenobi was a hermit who did nothing out in the wastelands of Tatooine, sure he fought Maul for half a minute but thats it. Theres no story there
For a guy who did nothing for 20 years he sure did have a good idea about the Empire and it's capabilities. That is one thing I noticed during my latest viewing of ANH. The comments he makes during the movie give the hint he is more familiar with "current" Imperial tactics and weapons than a simple hermit would be. Given that when he went into hiding the Empire was still using clone war technology how would he recognize a TIE fighter so quickly and know about the current weaponry/"precision" of current Storm Troopers?

I think he was up to something, not anything large scale but possibly limited to his system/planet.
wasn't the whole point of going to Mos Eisley to get a ship and pilot to take them to Alderaan? If Kenobi has no way of getting off the planet, kind of limits his movements in the system and research of the Empire. I suppose he could have googled it.


That being said, you can still do a lot with Kenobi. I doubt he was just sitting around. They can even have several stories of him protecting Luke without the Lars even knowing about it.
Sandpeople for one, took Shmi easily. What's to say they didn't try again but Kenobi put them down.

Or maybe others were aware of Luke and wanted to Kill him. Either 'good' guys that knew he was Anakin\Vader's kid and feared he would turn evil, or the Emperor's peeps wanting to make sure Vader didn't have any reason to turn away from the dark side.

Silly to think there's no story fathomable for Kenobi.
CJS4715
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Well, they were in possession of something that the Empire was searching for, so it may not have been as simple as piloting a ship to leave the planet (assuming Kenobi had that capability or knew how to communicate with the Rebels). They needed someone familiar with how to smuggle cargo.
Belton Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
BrownCoat said:

AGGies0311 said:

But Kenobi was a hermit who did nothing out in the wastelands of Tatooine, sure he fought Maul for half a minute but thats it. Theres no story there
For a guy who did nothing for 20 years he sure did have a good idea about the Empire and it's capabilities. That is one thing I noticed during my latest viewing of ANH. The comments he makes during the movie give the hint he is more familiar with "current" Imperial tactics and weapons than a simple hermit would be. Given that when he went into hiding the Empire was still using clone war technology how would he recognize a TIE fighter so quickly and know about the current weaponry/"precision" of current Storm Troopers?

I think he was up to something, not anything large scale but possibly limited to his system/planet.
Maybe but the script was written in 1976 and I seriously doubt Lucas had all that backstory fleshed out to the point where they'd be dropping subtle hints into the movie on the off chance they'd be exploring it later on down the road.
Mr. Nobody
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm done trying to be a nerd about these movies. These are simply popcorn flicks that just merely scratch the surface of what could be some really deep stuff.

These are so similar to the marvel movies now that it makes me wanna puke.
CJS4715
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Mr. Nobody said:

I'm done trying to be a nerd about these movies. These are simply popcorn flicks that just merely scratch the surface of what could be some really deep stuff.

These are so similar to the marvel movies now that it makes me wanna puke.
Presley OBannons Sword
How long do you want to ignore this user?
jabberwalkie09 said:

CJS4715 said:

What has never made sense to me is Anakin going from Jedi to executioner so quickly. If maybe Padme had already been killed, I'd get that as it would be a clear breaking point. His turn against the Jedi in the films just happens so fast that it barely makes sense. I will say that if you've spent time with the animated series, it really does help you get there mentally, but it is poorly executed in the films.
Looking back on the films, and I guess this may be some what tainted by having seen TCW in its entirety, but I really remember Anakin in ROTS acting like a child. He had been pretty frustrated with the Jedi Council and the way they ran things, and it kind of came to a head in ROTS and Palpatine just nudged him over the edge with his manipulation. Anakin was pissed over not being granted the rank of master, yet being on the Council.

I've always just thought that he saw Palpatine as someone who sympathized with him and could give him what he wanted, more power.

But yeah, his frustration with the Jedi was not so communicated very well in ROTS as to why he went over.

It's because revenge of the sith does, in fact, suck huge wookie balls.
BrownCoat
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Oh I agree that Lucas didn't have a solid plan in 1976. The new Story Group, on the other hand, does have a solid plan and they will do what they can to ensure any Obi-Wan movie ties directly to ANH and the rest of the original trilogy.
jabberwalkie09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Well given the two preceding installments, I tend to give ROTS a little more optimism.

But I'm not going to disagree with you.
Presley OBannons Sword
How long do you want to ignore this user?
jabberwalkie09 said:

Well given the two preceding installments, I tend to give ROTS a little more optimism.

But I'm not going to disagree with you.

It deserves no optimism or benefit of that doubt. It is terrible.
Solo Tetherball Champ
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Saul Goodman said:

Sweet Kitten Feet said:

I've never understood the obsession with Boba Fett.

Give me Vader, and Kenodi.


Agreed. The Boba Fett obsession always confused me.

The throw away line from Vader to Fett: "No Disintegrations" piqued a whole lot of interest.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yet another poster confused about what the word 'fact' means.
Solo Tetherball Champ
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Living Legend said:

Shocked to see so many people have a Kenobi movie over Vader...for the people that chose this can they explain more in detail? Star Wars is my FAVORITE franchise, but i've never been attached to Kenobi.
Well, for one we know what Vader was doing: He was the Emperors right man, enforcer, and he hunted down the Jedi. Out of all the possible movies liste, a Vader centered one is the second most compelling.

However, I don't think there is a lot of room to make a film, considering he is armored and masked, and while I wouldn't call his speech spartan, he generally doesn't speak more than he has to. He works best as a force that everyone reacts to, rather than the central character. A movie about him hunting down the Jedi would be an FX feast, but probably a poor story unless told through the eyes of imperial officers who's job is to support Vader.

Kenobi, on the other presents numerous possibilities (as already discussed): A former Jedi Master in exile, tasked with protecting the child of his greatest enemy and former best friend on a corrupt and violent planet effectively ruled by a giant gangster slug? There are a lot of possibilities for a great story.
Presley OBannons Sword
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

Yet another poster confused about what the word 'fact' means.
Presley OBannons Sword
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Solo Tetherball Champ said:

Saul Goodman said:

Sweet Kitten Feet said:

I've never understood the obsession with Boba Fett.

Give me Vader, and Kenodi.


Agreed. The Boba Fett obsession always confused me.

The throw away line from Vader to Fett: "No Disintegrations" piqued a whole lot of interest.

Also the fact that he's that only person to ever backtalk Vader. Plus he used to have a cool voice.
Champ Bailey
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sweet Kitten Feet said:

I've never understood the obsession with Boba Fett.

Give me Vader, and Kenobi.


He does nothing the entire series. He even waits for Vader before capturing Solo, right?

Then he dies from a sarlacc. A guy with a jet pack dies by a hole monster.
Presley OBannons Sword
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Champ Bailey said:

Sweet Kitten Feet said:

I've never understood the obsession with Boba Fett.

Give me Vader, and Kenobi.


He does nothing the entire series. He even waits for Vader before capturing Solo, right?

Then he dies from a sarlacc. A guy with a jet pack dies by a hole monster.

He didn't count on blind Han Solo three stooging him with a stick.
Sex Panther
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sweet Kitten Feet said:

I've never understood the obsession with Boba Fett.


MY BACKPACKS... GOT JETS
I'M BOBA... THE FETT
I BOUNTY HUNT FOR JABBA HUTT
TO FINANCE... MY VETTE


Cinco Ranch Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
First vote would be for a Kenobi movie with Ewan MacGregor reprising his role. He was the best thing about the prequels.

How about a couple of lesser-known characters:



And I always wanted to know more about this guy, especially WTF is that thing he's carrying?


These stormtroopers were discussing something in kinda hushed tones while Obi-Wan Kenobi is slinking around the first Death Star.


And finally, this stormtrooper:
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
InnerCityAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Thought I'd pop in here for a second. What are the ground rules on this thread? Spoilers?

Is it safe to read the last 10 pages or so?
VanZandt92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
InnerCityAg said:

Thought I'd pop in here for a second. What are the ground rules on this thread? Spoilers?

Is it safe to read the last 10 pages or so?


I ain't reading *****
InnerCityAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
VanZandt92 said:

InnerCityAg said:

Thought I'd pop in here for a second. What are the ground rules on this thread? Spoilers?

Is it safe to read the last 10 pages or so?


I ain't reading *****


But you're here too. You're reading ****, my friend.
I literally haven't checked any posts previous to my last post since last week.
VanZandt92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
InnerCityAg said:

VanZandt92 said:

InnerCityAg said:

Thought I'd pop in here for a second. What are the ground rules on this thread? Spoilers?

Is it safe to read the last 10 pages or so?


I ain't reading *****


But you're here too. You're reading ****, my friend.
I literally haven't checked any posts previous to my last post since last week.


I ain't read anything other than what you posted. I assume this thread to be full of land mines or the Star Wars equivalent.
AggieDem
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
By this time tomorrow night I should be well into the final act. My body is ready.

VanZandt92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I just hope there is at least one new thread tomorrow.
RebAg13
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Been 186 replies to the other thread since I've looked at it
InnerCityAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
rebornaggie2013 said:

Been 186 replies to the other thread since I've looked at it


So, really... is this thread safe? The other one is as of right now. I just read the last 10 pages.
VanZandt92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
No idea. I haven't even seen previews myself. Really I wish there were more threads so I could pick and choose. I used to do that Jedi forum, but I never read the books and I don't keep a ton of interest between movies, so I lost interest.
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Guys, no spoilers have been posted in this thread or the other one. We've tried to be pretty clear about that. That, and there just weren't any spoilers to post. Before Saturday night, no one knew anything about this movie, plot-wise, other than what can be gleaned from the trailers. And since then, not a single spoiler has made it into either thread.

That said, The Last Jedi thread will become spoiler central come Thursday evening. So definitely stay away from that thread starting tomorrow, until you've seen the movie for yourself. This thread will be reserved for general, spoiler-free reactions until January 1st, at which point spoilers will be allowed.
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We made it, folks! It's that day.

Page 641 of 834
 
×
Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.