Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,859,482 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 5 hrs ago by TCTTS
fig96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
redline248 said:

He back tracked and said watch it
With I'm sure no outside factors influencing that
TXAG 05
AG
Kind of a random question, but a long time ago, I remember talking about how Anakin became Vader, and my friend told me that he and Kenobi had a fight and Anakin was burned in lava. This was early 90s before the prequels were even announced and really before the internet was a thing. How did he know this or was it just a wild lucky guess?

This was just something that popped into my head this morning in the shower. Maybe it was talked about in the EU books, I don't know. Just wondering if it was known before the prequels how Vader got into the condition he was in.
Ag Since 83
AG
It was pretty widely known. I think Lucas had said it in interviews explaining why Vader needed the costume. If not, it was probably mentioned in some EU material.
Flashdiaz
AG
it came from Lucas during some interviews. That's how we knew about the Kenobi-Anakin fight and how Anakin 'fell' into a volcano or lava.
I believe it was in some concept art as well.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
6:00 pm, Thursday, RPX 3D.

I'd say watch the trailer. I think there is a lot of misdirection in it, and I honestly doubt any of us knows what will actually happen in this movie, save for a couple of big action scenes.

But that's just me. Your call.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
TXAG 05
AG
Thanks for the answers guys, I figured it was something like that.
MASAXET
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

So in every prior poster, the bad guy (or eventual bad guy) is at the top looking over everything. In the latest poster, Luke is at the top looking over everything.

hurleyag
AG
I like to ignore AOTC too.
twilly
AG
MASAXET said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

So in every prior poster, the bad guy (or eventual bad guy) is at the top looking over everything. In the latest poster, Luke is at the top looking over everything.

There seems to be a lot of smoke that points in this direction. Maybe the "big reveal" in TLJ is the bad guy isn't who we think it is...that's he's been hiding in the distance all along.

While I'm not sure what to think about this, I'm becoming more and more open to this possibility.

"Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny. Consume you it will."
Maybe that wasn't a warning, but a prophecy?
AgMarauder04
AG
Rey takes Kylo's hand, kills him, then Snoke, then Luke.

Finn wins her back with the power of love.
redline248
AG
Luke turning is dumber than Rey turning
TXAG 05
AG
twilly said:

MASAXET said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

There seems to be a lot of smoke that points in this direction. Maybe the "big reveal" in TLJ is the bad guy isn't who we think it is...that's he's been hiding in the distance all along.

While I'm not sure what to think about this, I'm becoming more and more open to this possibility.

"Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny. Consume you it will."
Maybe that wasn't a warning, but a prophecy?
A "phantom menace" if you will?
The Collective
AG
I remember a rumor when I was a kid that he was in an accident piloting a ship.... volcano rumor was also prevalent in the early 90s.
twilly
AG
AgMarauder04 said:

Rey takes Kylo's hand, kills him, then Snoke, then Luke.

Finn wins her back with the power of love.
Rey is the hero here. She and Kylo join forces to take down Luke, who unknowingly turned to the dark side at the end of ROTJ.

The thing that really makes me think this in the new trailer, when Luke says he was afraid...the old Yoda prequel quote "fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate". Why is Luke afraid? That's a dark side trait.
Flashdiaz
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
If they wanted to rival the "I am your father" moment, what if, and hear me out ...

What if Luke killed Rey?

That's a 1-2 punch of killing the main character, and having it done by the "good guy", the guy we love and root for.

Luke thinks he's doing it for the good of the galaxy, and doesn't even realize he's turned to the Dark Side.

And then it turns out this trilogy was actually about Luke's redemption, by his nephew Kylo.
The Collective
AG
To the TLJ thread...
Flashdiaz
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

If they wanted to rival the "I am your father" moment, what if, and hear me out ...

What if Luke killed Rey?

That's a 1-2 punch of killing the main character, and having it done by the "good guy", the guy we love and root for.

Luke thinks he's doing it for the good of the galaxy, and doesn't even realize he's turned to the Dark Side.

And then it turns out this trilogy was actually about Luke's redemption, by his nephew Kylo.
Disney is not going to kill a female lead and have 2 males be the heroes...
twilly
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

What if Luke killed Rey?

Other than Disney killing off a powerful female hero...

But what if the scene where Luke falls to his knees with R2 is a "what have I done moment!" a la Anakin in ROTS after he slices up Mace Windu?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
It's a wild-ass theory that will never happen.

But honestly, think about Luke and his mentality at this point in his life. He WOULD want to end the Jedi because he's afraid of them falling to the dark side and the cycle continuing.

Thus, Luke unwittingly falls to the dark side due to fear. He may not even realize he's fallen until it's too late.
The Shank Ag

Kylo needs Rey
twilly
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

It's a wild-ass theory that will never happen.

But honestly, think about Luke and his mentality at this point in his life. He WOULD want to end the Jedi because he's afraid of them falling to the dark side and the cycle continuing.

Thus, Luke unwittingly falls to the dark side due to fear. He may not even realize he's fallen until it's too late.
I'm thinking something along those lines.

It goes a long way to explain Luke's self imposed exile...to protect the galaxy from the darkness growing within. Would also mean that Rey was hidden to protect her from Luke.
fig96
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

6:00 pm, Thursday, RPX 3D.

I'd say watch the trailer. I think there is a lot of misdirection in it, and I honestly doubt any of us knows what will actually happen in this movie, save for a couple of big action scenes.

But that's just me. Your call.
Cool, thanks.
redline248
AG
I hope Rey tells Luke "don't be a p-ssy." Force users will fall to the dark side whether they know about the Jedi or not. It's still a better option to prepare them for the temptation and hope they resist.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
https://instagr.am/p/BaDQtHXhfAu

Damn onions.
MASAXET
AG
hurleyag said:

I like to ignore AOTC too.
Didn't forget it at all. That's why I was very intentional in saying "(or eventual bad guy)" so I'd be accurate.
3rdGen2015
AG
So this looks cool

Cyprian
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Luke is holding the same style light saber in the poster for Star Wars as Kylo uses now ?
TCTTS
AG
Flashdiaz
AG
I wonder if we'll get a teaser in front of The Last Jedi.

Han is supposed to come out in May.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Still hoping it gets pushed to December.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
Cyprian said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Luke is holding the same style light saber in the poster for Star Wars as Kylo uses now ?

That just lens flare.
/jj
This message has been approved by Brad, Jerry and Mitch..
The Collective
AG
ja86
AG
anywhere to watch past seasons?
First Page Last Page
Page 622 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.