Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,859,844 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 7 hrs ago by TCTTS
Ulrich
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I really hope they don't try to explain everything, maybe even anything. I'll give them a pass for one major item such as the Kessel run, obtaining the Falcon, or teaming up with Chewie. There are two reasons.

First, Han is a romantic, mysterious character, like the drifter who rides into a western town as a force for good or evil, but we don't know which until he acts. Giving him a thorough biography kills that. I think it's important for deep worlds to have loose ends. It's impossible for us to know everything that happened in a real world, so the world feels smaller and smaller as the mysteries are solved. Much more so with Han, whose whole point as a character is the unpredictability which rises from the many unexplained references to nefarious incidents in his shrouded past.

Second, 100 minutes showing stuff we already know about is kind of boring. In Rogue One we already had a movie dedicated entirely to fan service and filling in the blanks. I didn't like it all that much and have had no desire to rewatch. It was choppy and they didn't have time for all the stuff they tried to cram in. The characters and story suffered for being placed second to narrative objectives that the audience already knows. Time runs forward for a reason, true prequels will always be tough.
israeliag
AG
I'm guessing of all the Star Wras films this will be the most independent (doubt anyone thought much otherwise). Except for the characters of Han, Chewie, Lando, and the Falcon there prob won't be much tie to the other films or to the larger Empire. Wed prob only see the Empire as the cops that they have to avoid.

The reference to Serenity is a good one. Hoping this will be more of a western genre than anything else.
Zemira
AG
I saw the last Jedi trailer today at the theater and it was awesome! So much better than at home.

That is all
Urban Ag
AG
I think this is all going to depend on whether they break the mold and make a Start Wars movie that takes place over more than a few days. TPM, ANH, ESB, ROTJ, TFA, and R1 all take place across a few days. AOTC and ROTS could be argued to cover a couple of weeks. To hit on:
Han leaving Imperials
Winning the Falcon
Rescuing Chewie
Dumping his contraband thus getting on Jabba's bade list

you would think at a minimum that would have to cover months, if not years. That doesn't feel right to me for a SW film. My guess is that some canon event from the past will actually happen in the film (I'm guessing winning the Falcon) and that others (say, rescuing Chewie) is explained in more detail but doesn't actually happen during the film. Thus staying with the formula and Han Solo is 4-5 days in the life of as opposed to some kind of biography.

AliasMan02
AG
Urban Ag said:

I think this is all going to depend on whether they break the mold and make a Start Wars movie that takes place over more than a few days. TPM, ANH, ESB, ROTJ, TFA, and R1 all take place across a few days. AOTC and ROTS could be argued to cover a couple of weeks. To hit on:
Han leaving Imperials
Winning the Falcon
Rescuing Chewie
Dumping his contraband thus getting on Jabba's bade list

you would think at a minimum that would have to cover months, if not years. That doesn't feel right to me for a SW film. My guess is that some canon event from the past will actually happen in the film (I'm guessing winning the Falcon) and that others (say, rescuing Chewie) is explained in more detail but doesn't actually happen during the film. Thus staying with the formula and Han Solo is 4-5 days in the life of as opposed to some kind of biography.

I think you'll get a Rogue One-esque open with some establishing event occurring to kick things off that tackles Han and Chewie meeting, then jump into the main story.

I don't think Han bailing out of the academy is really a movie-worthy subplot in a film where I think we expect the Imperials to be a tangential presence with the focus being on the underworld. That's something they'll cover in the inevitable companion novel.

I'd bet that winning the Falcon and making the Kessel Run could be the same event, or at least closely related. I'd wager that winning the Falcon will be related to a race, not a card game. Edit: I take that back. Apparently the sabaac game is canon via one of the technical manuals.
Ulrich
Stealing a bit from the discarded canon: Han is drummed out of the military for striking a senior officer who was beating Chewie, a slave laborer on an imperial project. He takes his last paycheck to the local cantina and uses it to win the Falcon in a game of chance. Lando was going to make the Kessel run for Jabba, so without a ship he talks Han into taking on the contract for a cut. Needing someone to help load the ship, Han breaks Chewie out. They make the run in 12 parsecs but an imperial cruiser is waiting on the other side so Han dumps the cargo.

Everything we know about Han in 90 minutes. Great story if it was original, but it's not. It's predictable and kills the mystery.
Duncan Idaho
I don't think you can have him lose his car get on the same run that he completes the Kessel Run in 12 parsecs.

Because then bragging about it would be like bragging that he lost his cargo
AliasMan02
AG
Also, having to dump the cargo FEELS like a recent development in Episode IV. Jabba has only just put a bounty on his head. Jabba is willing to lift the bounty and give Han an extension. That's not how this plays out if Han has been dodging Jabba for years.
Ulrich
I could come up with minor clarifications/adjustments to address both of those, but I won't because my whole point is that I do not want to see that movie. I just don't think it's out of the question that they'll end up making a single movie that fits in a few days/weeks and covers virtually everything we know about Han's past.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Lucas is super dramatic. The whole Anakin "I'm in agony" speech, and then Padme's "I've been dying a little each day since you came back into my life" line....

First of all, y'all have been together for what, a week? Secondly, y'all have spent all day every day together, calm down. All of this agony just because she ain't getting that D? You're still together all day, just relax.

I think everything they needed to get across would've been more than expressed if they'd just had a scene of them on Naboo and they desperately go at it and **** like rabbits. And then bam, we know they dig each other.
Flashdiaz
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Lucas is super dramatic. The whole Anakin "I'm in agony" speech, and then Padme's "I've been dying a little each day since you came back into my life" line....

First of all, y'all have been together for what, a week? Secondly, y'all have spent all day every day together, calm down. All of this agony just because she ain't getting that D? You're still together all day, just relax.

I think everything they needed to get across would've been more than expressed if they'd just had a scene of them on Naboo and they desperately go at it and **** like rabbits. And then bam, we know they dig each other.
I like how Padme shows up in this outfit in a room with a romantic fire burning and then feels uncomfortable because this guy likes her...

the whole scene (minus padme in leather) was odd... why is she dressed like that, why are the meeting in a dark room to discuss their feelings?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Who the hell dresses like that unless she's trying to get some dick?
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Who the hell dresses like that unless she's trying to get some dick?

c*** tease!
Dro07
AG
Best part from robot chicken

redline248
TCTTS
AG
That was hilarious. The prequels are the gift that keeps on giving in that just when I think they couldn't be any worse, I'm proven wrong time and again.
The Collective
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I would have at least introduced a force finger bang into canon.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Worst romance ever on film.

I caught AotC the other day in that middle section. And I nearly vomited.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
And on the flip-side, I feel the Han/Leia romance in ESB is one of the best examples of it.

It's funny, feels organic, and never feels forced. But bottom line is it's entertaining. Their scene on Hoth as Han is leaving is greatness.
boogieman
AG
Flashdiaz said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

I like how Padme shows up in this outfit in a room with a romantic fire burning and then feels uncomfortable because this guy likes her...

the whole scene (minus padme in leather) was odd... why is she dressed like that, why are the meeting in a dark room to discuss their feelings?
Right?!?

...and don't get me started on the implication
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Flashdiaz said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Where are the servants and attendants?
redline248
AG
Quote:

Anakin put a sock on the door.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
redline248 said:

Quote:

Anakin put a sock on the door.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Happy 40th birthday to the greatest film franchise of all time.
twilly
AG
40 years ago today....

fig96
AG
This is really neat...

https://instagr.am/p/BUf-18FBzwL
Zombie Jon Snow
AG

Nice job getting the correct opening crawl - Star Wars and NOT Episode IV.

Most people don't believe me when I tell them that because the crawls they see on almost every release on VHS and DVD, etc had Episode IV and Tv broadcasts show it too.
The Collective
AG
Zombie Jon Snow said:

Nice job getting the correct opening crawl - Star Wars and NOT Episode IV.

twilly
AG
This kinda explains my feelings on the matter....
GROWING UP WITH STAR WARS IN 1977 CHANGED MY LIFE FOREVER
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
I'd say this likely means a July announcement at D23, but who knows.
TCTTS
AG
SpreadsheetAg
AG
TCTTS said:

Disney's Lumpy (3D)

The adorable son of Chewbacca, Lumpawarrump, must battle against the perilous fauna that lurks among the wroshyr trees in the shadowlands of Kashyyyk in order to earn his rrakktor and pass his hrrtayyk. The village of Rwookrrorro is counting on him...

zgood10
AG
SpreadsheetAg
AG
zgood10 said:

That is hard to look at, even if IFN
First Page Last Page
Page 594 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.