Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,858,969 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 3 hrs ago by TCTTS
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Mark and Carrie used to make out.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Oh ***** Mark crying got me.
wangus12
AG
Its worth it though
Ag Since 83
AG
Got wristbands for Rebels (streaming from the other stage, but still cool) and Battlefront II panels today
AliasMan02
AG
Which one of you is reppin us on the Star Wars Show Live? Good job.
Ag Since 83
AG
Getting to watch an episode
AliasMan02
AG
Last season for Rebels, as many of us suspected. Going out on a high is always the right decision.

I wonder about the next series, though. I bet it takes place right after Jedi.
Ag Since 83
AG
So how many months until I can say anything?

Also as I'm about 15 pages from the end of Thrawn I'd take a Chiss Ascendency show
Ag Since 83
AG
Got to the Del Rey panel. Sorry if this is already known but it looks like we are getting a Phasma novel.
SeattleAgJr
*********This is an incredible trailer for the final season on Rebels.

I am man enough to admit that I started to tear up by the end of that.

Bonus: I see we have a planet Mononoke
SeattleAgJr
Ag Since 83 said:

Got to the Del Rey panel. Sorry if this is already known but it looks like we are getting a Phasma novel.
serious question. does anyone actually WANT a Phasma novel?
AliasMan02
AG
SeattleAgJr said:

Ag Since 83 said:

serious question. does anyone actually WANT a Phasma novel?

I'm down with anything they want to give us.

Plus it will not really be a Phasma novel, I'm sure. It will be a story filling in the rise of the FO and take place almost exclusively in the Unknown Regions which is fine by me.

Also, more Sloane is almost assured.
Ag Since 83
AG
It's backstory and is literally called Phasma. That's all I got. Oh it also sounds violent and bloody

Also writing style be damned, Chuck Wendig is hilarious
AliasMan02
AG
Ag Since 83 said:

It's backstory and is literally called Phasma. That's all I got. Oh it also sounds violent and bloody

Also writing style be damned, Chuck Wendig is hilarious

Just saying her whole back story has to happen during the exile of the Imperial remnant and creation of the FO.
SeattleAgJr
fair enough. It is just there is nothing about her that is interesting and noteworthy other than her armor that drives me to want to know more about her.

yes, the backstory of things going on will be interesting, but she as a character just is not compelling.

I mean, FFS she got sucker punched by Finn.
AliasMan02
AG
SeattleAgJr said:

fair enough. It is just there is nothing about her that is interesting and noteworthy other than her armor that drives me to want to know more about her.

yes, the backstory of things going on will be interesting, but she as a character just is not compelling.

I mean, FFS she got sucker punched by Finn.

A little early to be down on Phasma. We already know her story on screen doesn't even begin until TLJ.
Ag Since 83
AG
And yet Boba Fett is beloved and it caused us to get a lame backstory

(I agree with you btw, but will read the book probably)
SeattleAgJr
Ag Since 83 said:

And yet Boba Fett is beloved and it caused us to get a lame backstory

(I agree with you btw, but will read the book probably)
I was going to mention that.

I am old enough to remember his introduction and the fans went ape**** because of his outfit , and he was somehow crowned to be the ultimate baddass.

Then.. he goes and gets Sarlacc'd - the absolute antithesis of baddass.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Leia will not appear in Ep IX. Confirmed by Kathleen Kennedy.
TCTTS
AG
This is a good thing. It would have been extremely distracting CGI. We got enough of that with Tarkin.
wangus12
AG
Most people weren't distracted by Tarkin
AgMarauder04
AG
Ag Since 83 said:

Got wristbands for Rebels (streaming from the other stage, but still cool) and Battlefront II panels today

Trailer looks like only empire campaign? Surely that's not right.
Ag Since 83
AG
Yes the campaign is about the Empire's Inferno Squadron, and what they do between Endor and The Force Awakens.

They did say, however, that you would cross paths with various characters (such as Luke) and that at times you would play as those characters as well.
AgMarauder04
AG
Bold move to alienate half the fanbase.
jabberwalkie09
AG
AgMarauder04 said:

Actually, I'm for this because it reminds me of Republic Commando. They needed to do something to change it up since we've pretty much always seen things from the rebel perspective.

I don't think this will be as divisive as you might think. I mean Vader (not Anakin) has a pretty devoted following.
Ag Since 83
AG
An Imperial centric story alienates you? I think with Thrawn, Lost Stars, etc. they have proven they can tell some great stories focused on people doing their duty in service of the Empire.
AgMarauder04
AG
Think they could have offered both. Just means I'll hope battlefront 3 offers a resistance perspective.

They'll be fine without my $70.
TXAG 05
AG
Tie Fighter was Empire only, and it was awesome
Chipotlemonger
AG
AgMarauder04 said:

What fanbase are you talking about?

Ag Since 83
AG
Question: Anyone else reading Thrawn? How long until it's fair game to talk about plot points without spoiler tags?
SeattleAgJr
Ag Since 83 said:

Question: Anyone else reading Thrawn? How long until it's fair game to talk about plot points without spoiler tags?
SeattleAgJr
It has been out the better part of a week.

It should be fair game to discuss.

My copy shows up tomorrow.
Ag Since 83
AG
OK here's my Thrawn review: it's awesome. Zahn once again nails the Chiss admiral, and introduces another really interesting human character in Eli Vanto

Now that's out of the way, here's my Thrawn theory/wishlist. I'm going to go ahead and black out a couple key plot points from the book just in case nobody wants it spoiled. But the book takes place before Rebels, so of course Thrawn survives.

The book starts with a slight reimagination of Zahn's old short story Mist Encounter, in which Thrawn is discovered by Imperials after being exiled by the Chiss Ascendancy due to the events of the book Outbound Flight (an excellent book in and of itself). Things are slightly different in the new canon (most notably the introduction of Vanto), but Thrawn is taken by the Imperials back to Coruscant where his rise through the Navy begins, although he hopes to one day return from exile.

Now, later in the book, it is revealed Thrawn's exile was faked and he was sent by the Chiss to contact and observe the Empire. And at the end of the book, he sends Eli to go work with the Ascendancy in the Unknown Regions fighting whatever the threats are out there. So there's always the possibility Thrawn could return to the Ascendancy.

Which brings us to Rebels/Rogue One/A New Hope. Thrawn is a pretty big threat to the fledgling Rebel Alliance in Rebels, and A New Hope's opening crawl makes it clear that Scarif is the first major victory for the Alliance. Now, if the Rebels defeat Thrawn before Scarif that's a bit of a contradiction. So, I think we have the following options.

• They defeat Thrawn pre-Scarif and pretend like it doesn't contradict the "first major victory" thing
  • Thrawn is killed but not by the Rebels (hey, they are introducing Rukh)
  • Rebels ends at Scarif and the Chimaera is one of the Star Destroyers destroyed at the battle (plausible, and I think it's likely Scarif is in the final season of Rebels)
  • Scarif happens before the end of the season and then Thrawn is defeated after Scarif (unlikely given the Kanan/Ezra last Jedi bit....although would we actually contradict anything as long as they are out of the picture before the events of ROTJ?)
  • Thrawn survives the series, in which case we are left with a "well where was he during the original trilogy?" question. You either retcon something like the Chimaera being destroyed at Endor, or you are left with the possibility of more Thrawn story to tell

So my sure-to-be-wrong-wishlist: Thrawn survives, and maybe he is able to return to the Chiss Ascendancy, where he stays out there for maybe 30 years? Del Toro could still be Thrawn, but I doubt they go that route. What it would do, however, is allow more time for Thrawn stories via either book or TV show. I'd go for the next animated show being called Star Wars: The Unknown Regions
Ag Since 83
AG

First Page Last Page
Page 581 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.