Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,860,072 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 9 hrs ago by TCTTS
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm sure TLJ will ultimately prevail, but Beauty and the Beast will definitely give it a run for its money.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

$1B domestic is definitely possible. I wonder if a possibly darker tone could hinder the repeat box office though.

I think that would be offset - some would enjoy the darker tone and be more likely. Many fanboys were turned off by the light nature of TFA....they would see TLJ more times if it was darker (more Empirey). I know I would. I only did TFA twice in theaters because it was good/great but not WHOA!!!!!!

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Possibly. I also forgot about Fast 8. Last one did $1.5B.
The Collective
AG
TCTTS said:

I'm sure TLJ will ultimately prevail, but Beauty and the Beast will definitely give it a run for its money.

I keep forgetting about this movie. So much money being printed by the Mouse...
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Mentioned this on another thread - Disney will probably get close to $5B between TLJ, BatB, and Guardians 2 alone.

And that's assuming Pirates 5 disappoints and Guardians outgrosses it.
TCTTS
AG
They also have Cars 3, Spider-Man, and Thor 3. They're going to absolutely destroy whatever single-studio yearly record currently exists.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Spider-Man is still Sony, pretty sure.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
CJS4715 said:

TCTTS said:

I keep forgetting about this movie. So much money being printed by the Mouse...

Live action Cinderella in 2015 only did $550M WW....I'm skeptical. However I know it has Emma Watson and B&TB was huge in animation with over $400M in 1991....

I'd say it tops out around $1.1-1.2B WW though with more than half being domestic maybe 650/550.

The Collective
AG
Seems fair, though I'm no expert. I know it is bigger than Cinderella just based on timing.... 1991 animated release puts this thing right in the wheelhouse of people currently raising little kids. Nice timing.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I hear you but Beauty and the Beast is from the Disney Renaissance era, meaning most 25-35 year olds grew up loving that movie, and will probably watch it with either parents, kids, or friends. Nostalgia is a hell of a thing. (See: Star Wars)

Edit: What CJS said but more words.
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, I think you're right. Totally forgot about that. So does Disney only make money on Spider-Man when he's in a true, Disney/Marvel Studios movie? If so, then I wonder how it works with Sony getting to use Iron Man in their movie? Does Disney see at least a slice of that or is it a good-faith trade-off kind of thing?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Seems like a fair enough trade. Sony lets Spider-Man in Avengers and Marvel lets Iron Man on Spider-Man.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Yoda
AG
I like her.
Beat40
Yoda said:

I like her.

I think the dude was telling the girl about Plagueis. He nerded out to the girl.
SpreadsheetAg
Yoda
AG
Fantasy ruined.
AgMarauder04
AG
Beat40 said:

Yoda said:

I like her.

I think the dude was telling the girl about Plagueis. He nerded out to the girl.
Probably then nerded out to his hand.
wangus12
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I think this was in large part due to Walker's death and everyone thought it would be the last one
GiveEmHellBill
AG
wangus12 said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

I think this was in large part due to Walker's death and everyone thought it would be the last one
Agree. This one will be a massive success, but won't reach the total the last one did. It'll still probably do $1B worldwide.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
We seem to be forgetting about a pretty significant death in the Star Wars family.

Edit: Misunderstood. You're saying F8 won't reach those heights. Agreed. Hm, now I wonder if that same phenomenon will cause a worldwide bump for TLJ.
Ag Since 83
AG
I will gladly be incorrect in this prediction, but I don't think TLJ outperforms TFA at the box office. Episode VII was arguably the most anticipated movie of all time and unlike the last time we said that about a SW film, it delivered. It was a massive cultural event that will be tough to equal when we are only 12 months removed from the last Star Wars film.

Unless TLJ is amazing (like all time great( I don't think it'll have the same rewatch factor on a broad scale. Anecdotally I think Rogue One is a much better movie than TFA but I haven't seen it as many times in the theater.
AMW2010
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Wait We Found Another Jedi

or tie it directly to The Empire Strikes Back and subtitle it "No, There Is Another"

Seriously, I wonder if Episode IX might be called "Balance To The Force" or something along those lines. Crap, not needing to get to thinking about that movie just yet.
Flashdiaz
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

or tie it directly to The Empire Strikes Back and subtitle it "No, There Is Another"

Seriously, I wonder if Episode IX might be called "Balance To The Force" or something along those lines. Crap, not needing to get to thinking about that movie just yet.
it's going to be a combination of 7 and 8.... "the force awakens another jedi"
DannyDuberstein
AG
Midichlorian Snooze Alarm Goes Off
3rdGen2015
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

Nah it'll be "From the Darkness" or "Out of the Shadows" or something like that
TCTTS
AG
I haven't seen a single one of these, but interesting nonetheless...

Quote:

"Twelve O'Clock High was a big touchstone, for the feel and look of the aerial combat as well as the dynamic between the pilots. Three Outlaw Samurai for the feel of the sword-fighting, and the general sense of pulpy fun. And To Catch A Thief was a great film to rewatch, for the romantic scale and grandeur."

http://heroichollywood.com/star-wars-last-jedi-influences-challenges/
Zemira
AG
TCTTS said:

I haven't seen a single one of these, but interesting nonetheless...

Quote:

"Twelve O'Clock High was a big touchstone, for the feel and look of the aerial combat as well as the dynamic between the pilots. Three Outlaw Samurai for the feel of the sword-fighting, and the general sense of pulpy fun. And To Catch A Thief was a great film to rewatch, for the romantic scale and grandeur."

http://heroichollywood.com/star-wars-last-jedi-influences-challenges/

Sorry slight thread derail.

You have NEVER seen To Catch a Thief?!
TCTTS
AG
There are A LOT of old movies I haven't seen. This may come as a surprise, but I'm not a big cinephile. I've seen maybe 20 movies released before 1975 or so. Some I truly love, but for the most part, what I live for is the (relatively) modern movie-going experience. Old movies almost feel like a completely different medium to me. That said, I find myself wanting to catch up with some of the classics more and more.
TCTTS
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Awesome.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG

so we've established the IX title will be contained in the crawl for VIII...and likely some cryptic Yoda quote as well.
The Collective
AG
Episode IX - Always two there are
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Episode X - Mine! Mine! Mine!
First Page Last Page
Page 544 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.