Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,859,573 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 6 hrs ago by TCTTS
redline248
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
quote:
You know, I never realized this, but it makes total sense that Anakin hates sand, which in turn makes him hate sand people.

Poetry
I always thought that sand conversation was put in just to explain why Vader didn't go down to Tattoine (?sp) to look for the droids himself in a New Hope.

Why would Vader need to go look for droids himself? They're droids. The stormtroopers actually did a good job tracking them back to Luke's place.
The Collective
AG
The acting is good there, but I hate the high ground bull**** and the look of the planet so much that I am overly distracted.

The score in the third act of ROTS is amazing. I wish the movie lived up to it.
Duncan Idaho
quote:
The acting is good there, but I hate the high ground bull**** and the look of the planet so much that I am overly distracted.

The score in the third act of ROTS is amazing. I wish the movie lived up to it.

Sith MIGHT have been a decent movie if lucas had been hamstrung by 1977 technology and forced to tell a story not try to dazzle people with ****ty green screen work.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
Sith MIGHT have been a decent movie if lucas had been hamstrung by 1977 technology and forced to tell a story not try to dazzle people with ****ty green screen work.
LOL.... "I have the high ground Anakin!" I don't know about that it might have been a decent movie. Most people I think would agree that ROTS was the best of the PT, not that is saying much really. ROTS could have, and probably should have been, a pretty dark movie except for the ray of sunshine that comes from the birth of the twins. Lucas obviously didn't want to go there, and it ended up being poorly handled.
MGS
quote:
With AOTC on the mind, I am choosing this as the video for this week. This is probably the best acting in the prequels.

I could never quite figure out what was going on in this scene My best guess is that he's sowing the seed of distrust between the Senate and the Jedi - but why tell him then have him executed? Perhaps Dooku sending out feelers to see if maybe he could recruit Obi Wan to be his apprentice?

One thing's for certain, Christopher Lee was criminally underused in the prequels.
Duncan Idaho
I don't think you realize how intentionally generous I was being in that post.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
ROTS could have, and probably should have been, a pretty dark movie except for the ray of sunshine that comes from the birth of the twins.
You don't think murdering children and wiping out the Jedi is dark?
The Collective
AG
quote:
Perhaps Dooku sending out feelers to see if maybe he could recruit Obi Wan to be his apprentice? .

I think he is recruiting (and maybe secondarily sowing mistrust). In the expanded universe (Clone Wars), Dooku has other force wielders under him, so it would make sense. I believe his motivation was to overthrow the Jedi and stop Sidious as well.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
It's an interesting question. He's either sowing the seed for mistrust as you say, or trying to turn Obi-Wan and using him to overthrow Palpatine together. (In typical Sith fashion.)

He probably figured there was only two outcomes from that conversation. Either Obi-Wan would trust him and they'd destroy Palpatine with the help of the Jedi, or he'd refuse to believe him and he'd die in the pit.

He took a gamble and was trying to save his own ass. Sort of like Waltz's character at the end of Inglourious Basterds, imo.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
quote:
ROTS could have, and probably should have been, a pretty dark movie except for the ray of sunshine that comes from the birth of the twins.
You don't think murdering children and wiping out the Jedi is dark?
I think he avoided showing most of the actions of one of the heroes of The Clone Wars that would paint Anakin in a really negative light. His betrayal should have been more of a focal point. I'm not saying that it wasn't dark, the purge itself was and hinting at the slaughter of the younglings was dark of itself. However, the birth of the Empire and its oppressive nature from those ashes along with Anakin's transformation to a Sith Lord felt rather lackluster. Hope should have felt like it was gone at some point until the twins' birth, and I never really got that feeling.
The Collective
AG
So, I cheated and searched on this topic, as I have never given it much thought. Google returned me a result of a thread on theforce.net which I vowed to never visit again after one visit. I am now breaking that vow and found this post in the discussion.

quote:
Is he a poor actor, or was that poor acting intentional? Does he start off with a lie, really camp it up theatrically to make it obvious, so that Obi-Wan immediately starts off distrusting him?

"Oh no, my friend. This is a mistake, a terrible mistake. They have gone too far, this is madness!"

He's basically saying "See the way I play the concerned, outraged friend? Now you know I'm full of ****!"

" I will petition immediately to have you set free." Sure you will.

"There are no bounty hunters here that I'm aware of. The Geonosians don't trust them." I'm sure the Geonosians don't trust bounty hunters, (who can blame them?), but Dooku knows Jango is there. Lies mixed with truth.

Even when he brings up a very dear subject in Qui-Gon, he's still deceiving, even himself. Tyrannus thinks he's deceiving, but Dooku is telling the truth. He's "just" using the connection to Qui-Gon to manipulate Kenobi, but there's so much conflict. I'm sure Qui-Gon did speak highly of Kenobi. Truth. "I wish he were still alive. I could use his help right now." "Don't be so sure, my young Jedi. You forget that he was once my apprentice, just as you were once his." There's so much dissonance there. Tyrannus wants one thing, Dooku another. I'm sure Dooku does wish Qui-Gon was alive, I'm sure he misses him. Maybe Qui-Gon would help Dooku out of this Sith mess....or maybe he would join Tyrannus and the Sith.

Is Tyrannus trying to turn Kenobi, or is Dooku looking for redemption?

Then he goes on about the Senate and Sidious.

"He knew all about the corruptions of the Senate, but he would never have gone along with it if he had known the truth as I have." Dooku does know the truth, but actually is going along with it in a way, temporarily, at least.

"What if I told you that the Republic is now under the control of a Dark Lord of the Sith?" "The Dark Side of the Force has clouded their vision, my friend. Hundreds of senators are now under the influence of a Sith Lord called Darth Sidious." "The Viceroy of the Trade Federation was once in league with this Darth Sidious, but he was betrayed ten years ago by the Dark Lord. He came to me for help; he told me everything."

All truth, all intended to deceive. The idea of Gunray coming to Dooku is rather amusing, yet it's probably true, not that it matters.

The thing is, if you replace the references to Qui-Gon in the conversation with references to Palpatine/Sidious, it even starts to hint at why Dooku would join Palpatine/Sidious, if you twist it a little. Who knows about the corruption in the Senate better than Palpatine/Sidious? Who could deal with the problem of corruption better than him? While Qui-Gon was once Dooku's apprentice, just as Obi-Wan was once Qui-Gon's, Tyrannus is now Sidious' apprentice.
Who else was betrayed ten years ago by the Dark Lord? Dooku. Palpatine was partially responsible for Qui-Gon's death. Who really came to Dooku? Was it Gunray, or Palpatine? (Or both?) Did Palpatine tell Dooku everything? Or did Dooku come to Palpatine and tell him everything? A bit of both? Who knows?

And then he ends the conversation with a rather final, regretful, pathetic lie....with a hint of truth. "It may be difficult to secure your release". Of course, Dooku runs the show and can release Kenobi at any time. Or can he? Maybe he kinda wants to let Kenobi go...but is too weak, too cowardly, to actually do it.

Count Dooku, he tells the truth, even when he lies, and he lies, even when he tells the truth.

I love this scene! It doesn't matter what you believe, that this scene can be read so many different ways is what makes it great.

And Lee, Lee knocks it out of the park. Theatrical lies one moment, genuine sincerity the next, and at times both at the same time.

http://boards.theforce.net/threads/dookus-revelation-of-sidious-to-obi-wan.50021865/
double aught
AG
quote:
quote:
With AOTC on the mind, I am choosing this as the video for this week. This is probably the best acting in the prequels.

I could never quite figure out what was going on in this scene My best guess is that he's sowing the seed of distrust between the Senate and the Jedi - but why tell him then have him executed? Perhaps Dooku sending out feelers to see if maybe he could recruit Obi Wan to be his apprentice?

One thing's for certain, Christopher Lee was criminally underused in the prequels.

Most of you likely know this, but, if you haven't, you should check out Christopher Lee's wikipedia. That guy led a badass life.
Duncan Idaho
And he only has one kid
twilly
AG
I always thought it's fairly simple. Turning Kenobi is one less Jedi you have to fight in the coming war, and also a powerful fighter to have on your side.

The plan all along was to start a war to disrupt the Jedi/Republic. Turning a powerful Jedi or even sowing the seeds of doubt goes a long way to foster that cause.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
This is going to be a running joke for the foreseeable future, isn't it?
double aught
AG
I don't get it.
3rdGen2015
AG
quote:
I don't get it.
And nobody can explain it to you because libel.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-3801713/Disney-CEO-confirms-Star-Wars-Story-film-2020-reveals-project-writer-attached.html

Edit: Actually, that is kind of a worthless article with no new info. Writer is not revealed.
redline248
AG
I always felt that scene was just another example of George Lucas's directing ruining another great actor. I don't think it has anything to do with what was actually happening in the scene.

As to that guy's question about Dooku looking for a way out...it's possible, but I doubt it. There was a clone wars era novel in which Yoda almost convinced Dooku to give up the dark side, but of course, Anakin f-ed it up (unintentionally).
TCTTS
AG
This is AWESOME news. Bradford Young is one of my favorite cinematographers working today, as he shot Selma, A Most Violent Year, and most recently, Arrival. Can't wait to see what he does with a Star Wars movie...

http://theplaylist.net/arrival-cinematographer-bradford-young-lens-han-solo-spinoff-emmanuel-lubezki-reteams-alfonso-cuaron-20160922/
TCTTS
AG
For reference...

SpreadsheetAg
AG
Now that Arrival movie looks pretty sweet
The Collective
AG
Did we ever decide if this is a bacta tank?
Ag Since 83
AG
Reminder: Rebels (and Thrawn) arriving on Disney XD tonight, so set those DVRs assuming you are watching football
Malachi Constant
AG
Thanks to the crappy college football games today, I flipped over to TNT just in time for Anakin to make his speech about sand.

Finest of all cinema.

http://i.imgur.com/a/X3YWD

Malachi Constant
AG
I officially can't figure out how to post a picture from imgur on my phone anymore.
Malachi Constant
AG
Also this whole sequence where obi-wan goes to the water planet and sees all the clones looks like a freakin cartoon. WTF?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Here you go.

AliasMan02
AG
That whole movie looks like it's a novelty video you make at a theme park. You know, like they set you up to make a call at a baseball game or a newscast or record a music video in front of a screen. Same production.
The Collective
AG
quote:
Also this whole sequence where obi-wan goes to the water planet and sees all the clones looks like a freakin cartoon. WTF?

Yep. It's hard to tell a difference between the animated series Clone Wars and AOTC in the scene. It's so sad too - should be a badass moment. Hang on for the battle droid plant scene and flying R2... ugh!
jr15aggie
AG
quote:

I caught some of AOTC the other night when it was on and the CG has not aged well. Not that it's horrible, but some stuff that I accepted back then feels really out of place now. The entire last 30-40 minutes was so CG heavy that it just looks and feels silly at times. Was there a good reason why ALL of the clone troopers had to be CG? And even when they did put a guy in an actual suite (Jango), they couldn't help but completely CG some of his action sequences.

It's painfully obvious that Lucas's obsession with technology is 80% of what's wrong with the prequels and additions to the originals. (In case you are wondering the other 20% is reserved for non technology things such as "sand", "NOOOoooo", "yipee", etc.)
TCTTS
The Collective
AG
quote:
(In case you are wondering the other 20% is reserved for non technology things such as "sand", "NOOOoooo", "yipee", etc.)

Oh poodoo
redline248
AG
quote:
I officially can't figure out how to post a picture from imgur on my phone anymore.

Remove the 'http:/m' and replace it with 'i'
AliasMan02
AG
Caught that scene the other day and it's so rough to watch. Ewan standing there on an empty sound stage, walking around and talking to himself, looking at a million clones that don't exist, trying to sell it.

Beyond that, the whole premise still doesn't make sense. Sifo-Dyas goes and orders a whole clone army a decade before and they just do it? Did he pay them all in advance for the creation, training, feeding, and housing of millions of troopers? Did they even question for a moment why they have had no contact and provided no progress reports for years and years? And they don't catch on to the fact that Obi Wan has NO IDEA what they're talking about through his whole orientation.

And who is Sifo-Dyas? I mean... I know who he is because I'm a super nerd, but why is this all tied up with a Jedi whose name we've never heard before? Where was even the mention of him or Kamino or the possibility of a clone army in Episode I (you know the answer to that, I'm sure)?

They also say it's one of the finest clone armies they've ever created. Who the hell else is buying millions of clone soldiers? They're members of the Galactic Republic, and they can create whole armies for highest bidders?

It's so remarkable that the clones and even the Kaminoans are so interesting and awesome in the Clone Wars, with such great personality and backstory.
First Page Last Page
Page 479 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.