Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,858,997 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 3 hrs ago by TCTTS
3rdGen2015
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Plus the book doesn't release until mid-January 2017
Ag Since 83
AG
quote:
Plus the book doesn't release until mid-January 2017
This x 1000000
TCTTS
AG
An ego thing? No. I just dislike accommodating people who want everyone to adhere to their extremely narrow spoiler rules. That doesn't make any sense to me. I genuinely thought, "Wow, these are awesome images" and thought everyone would enjoy them. I seriously thought people would see those two new aliens and go, "Cool! i wonder who they are?" Or see Vader and be like, "Sweet! Darth Vader is in the movie!" It legit never crossed my mind that any of it was spoilery. I saw all that as pure excitement. Guess I was WAY wrong.
Ag Since 83
AG
TC, I want to apologize for overreacting. I actually had forgotten that we had basic confirmation that Vader was in the movie (didn't we find out who was playing him?) and this just reminded me of something I wish was a surprise.

Please explain though, how you don't see why someone would want it to be a surprise that Vader's in the movie.
TCTTS
AG

quote:
But hey, I'm not in the entertainment industry, I'm just a fan, so my opinion doesn't matter on TC's precious entertainment board.
Also, I'm really ****ing sick of reading sh*t like this. I'm passionate about movies, plain and simple, and I enjoy discussing them. I'm sorry if that passion comes across as some kind of authority, but that is never my intention. That, and thinking of myself as some kind of self-appointed "king" of a message board is about the lamest thing I can possibly think of.
TCTTS
AG
We all got heated and I shouldn't be either. My apologies as well.

Here's my basic thinking, though... if Vader is featured THIS prominently in some leaked marketing materials, there's no way he's not going to be shown in a trailer or two. The only way Vader's appearance is a surprise is if we avoided all marketing material whatsoever. And that's never going to happen. So, my thinking then shifts to, "Wow, it's really ****ing cool that Darth Vader is going to be in this movie, let's get excited about that." Especially considering it has already been discussed ad nauseam here.
Ag Since 83
AG
And I apologize for saying that so sarcastically. But you know you come across that way. It kind of sucks to give my opinion and be told by you "no, I'm going to do it the way I want to do it. If you don't like it, leave." All this taking place on a thread that only exists because you asked people to stop talking about the EU on the other thread, so Brian created this one. And then everyone left that thread so you followed us over here. So I'm sorry if I feel at times you are unwilling to listen to other opinions.
Phat32
AG
If Vader is in this movie, they're going to market the hell out of it. It won't be a surprise by the time the movie rolls around.
Ag Since 83
AG
Let me be clear: more than anything, I wish Lucasfilm kept Vader's appearance under lock and key (or not put him in the movie at all, but that's another debate). So my disappointment is with them first and foremost.

My one regret about Episode VII is that I knew as much as I did (Starkiller Base, for example) before going in. As someone who loves Star Wars and loves talking about Star Wars, it's hard to simultaneously talk about it online and avoid spoilers.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
TC - Does it honestly never cross your mind that not everyone is as plugged into the industry as you are?

I'm a huge movie nerd so I'm constantly following this type of stuff, so I had seen it. But like I said, I was torn about posting it because is spoiler-ish (and most sites that have posted the images have clearly labeled them as such).

I don't see why asking you to add a similar warning seems to be upsetting you so much . Had I posted it before you, I would've added a warning on my post. It's just common courtesy. If you can do so going forward we can just avoid this altogether. I'll do the same.
GiveEmHellBill
AG

reminds me of:

TCTTS
AG
Ha, that EU thing will haunt me on here forever, won't it? Just to be clear, that was like four people DOMINATING an EPISODE VII thread with EU talk. It was getting old for a lot of us who had never opened one of those books, having that talk basically take over what, again, was an Episode VII thread. So I asked if we could dial it down a notch and all the sudden I'm the great oppressor or something.
hunter2012
AG
I don't get why you all are upset. Vader is the most iconic villain of all time. The story takes place in the universe, about a project that is extremely important to Vader, and it is known that Vader is alive. What chance is there at all that he wouldn't make an appearance in the first anthology movie?

I can only imagine the mass disappointment if he doesn't make an appearance.
Ag Since 83
AG
I'll grant you that (the thread was called Episode VII, wasn't it?), but combined with the other "no I'm going to decide what spoilers are, I don't care what you think spoilers are" it's a bit much.

Here's my point on Vader: Let's assume they only use him in one key scene (which is what I'm hoping). Now, let's suppose we were watching the movie and had no idea he was showing up, and then all of a sudden, BAM, there he is, and it's done in a well executed way. It would be AWESOME to be surprised by that.

Maybe it's just not possible to keep something like that under wraps in this day and age, but every now and then movies surprise you.
TCTTS
AG
quote:
TC - Does it honestly never cross your mind that not everyone is as plugged into the industry as you are?

I'm a huge movie nerd so I'm constantly following this type of stuff, so I had seen it. But like I said, I was torn about posting it because is spoiler-ish (and most sites that have posted the images have clearly labeled them as such).

I don't see why asking you to add a similar warning seems to be upsetting you so much . Had I posted it before you, I would've added a warning on my post. It's just common courtesy. If you can do so going forward we can just avoid this altogether. I'll do the same.

Of course that crosses my mind. But I honestly, legitimately, did not equate seeing those images with being "plugged into the industry" or being spoilery at all. Again, the fact of the matter is that we've talked about Vader's appearance in Rogue one over and over and over again in this thread. And for that reason alone, it never crossed my mind to put a "spoiler" tag up. Every other image - save for the two awesome-looking aliens - are characters we've seen before.
Ag Since 83
AG
Another thing to remember, not everyone has read every page in this thread. I certainly don't remember it all...
TCTTS
AG
But again, then you're asking us to accommodate what YOU have and haven't read. And that's impossible. Because, again, I guarantee you that someone out there finds even just the basic time-frame of the movie a spoiler. So I don't know when I'm supposed to post spoiler tags and when I'm not. The only other solution is to put tags before EVERY Rogue One post, and that's asking a lot. I'm all for trying to find a solution, though.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I totally get it. Not upset about it, honestly. But after several of us pointed out that it's a bit spoilery, and you still refusing to just add a simple warning, is what's rubbing me the wrong way.

We were really good about keeping spoilers off this thread for a pretty considerable amount of time after TFA came out, so I don't see why this is a huge deal, but you seem intent on "not accommodating us", so I'll let it go.
TCTTS
AG
I'm literally asking - because we all have different definitions of the word "spoiler" - what do you want me to do? Do I have to put a spoiler tag at the beginning of every Rogue One post? If not, which ones are exempt? I'm not trying to be difficult or sarcastic. I'm literally trying to figure out how to REASONABLY handle this.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Anything that involves the word "leaked" should tip you off. These images are unofficial and unreleased. (Leaked pictures of unreleased toys, books, etc could easily let spoilers out, and they often do.)

Obviously anything released by Lucasfilm or any official Star Wars account is fair game. (Trailers, clips, tweets, official announcements, that sort of thing.)
Farmer1906
TCTTS
AG
Fair enough. That's a good starting point.
Brian Earl Spilner
Ag Since 83
AG
I understand your point. Let me try and put it this way: I enjoy the speculation, but I don't want to know it's true. In my view, Vader being in this movie is as big of a plot point as knowing somebody dies. Now maybe I'm wrong and he'll be in the first scene and throughout the movie (please don't do this Lucasfilm), but I think it is a major plot point.

If you use Luke in Episode VII as an example: there were a lot of rumors and discussion that he wouldn't have a large role, and it was fun to discuss what it might mean for the movie. But if someone had leaked the opening crawl last May and I'd scene "Luke Skywalker has vanished", knowing that's what the movie was about would have been pretty disappointing.
TCTTS
AG
I can understand that. I love discussing speculatively and can do that all day long. And when I learn that something we touched on turns out to be true, I'll try my best not to tip my hat - or, if I do - will make sure it's appropriately tagged.
3rdGen2015
AG

quote:
In my view, Vader being in this movie is as big of a plot point as knowing somebody dies.

Well to be fair if Vader does indeed show up, lots of people are going to die. And it'll be epic.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
Maybe it's just not possible to keep something like that under wraps in this day and age, but every now and then movies surprise you.
Not possible? Eh, I dunno but I'd say it's very, very difficult. Various forums/boards had AOTC completely figured out before it hit theaters. Even some sites had the first two acts of TFA pegged. The third act on the other hand was largely a mystery. A decent amount has made it out about R1. And this is with all the precautions that Abrams/Lucasfilm/Disney have in place to try and minimize leaks.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
Pretty sure the bigger spoiler for this movie would have been if Darth Vader WASN'T in it. Why would anyone think that a movie as described " dealing with the plans of the first death star being stolen" and " picking up right before Episode IV" wouldn't have Vader in it? If it came out that Ashoka or Boba were in the movie that is a bit more, but Vader?
TCTTS
AG

quote:
Not possible? Eh, I dunno but I'd say it's very, very difficult. Various forums/boards had AOTC completely figured out before it hit theaters.

Ha, ironically - and I've mentioned this before - but I was responsible for the most prominent one, featured at TheForce.net, in the form of having my own section/column on the site I updated regularly.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:

quote:
Not possible? Eh, I dunno but I'd say it's very, very difficult. Various forums/boards had AOTC completely figured out before it hit theaters.

Ha, ironically - and I've mentioned this before - but I was responsible for the most prominent one, featured at TheForce.net, in the form of having my own section/column on the site I updated regularly.
I remember. It seems that Making Star Wars pretty much took over a large portion of that by supplying the information then people throwing stuff together and figuring out the majority of the order for TFA. It's actually where I read the first two acts pretty much for TFA.
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, those guys basically came out of no where to just dominate that space with Episode VII. So crazy.
The Shank Ag
Nerd fight
jabberwalkie09
AG
Not a new thing in this thread.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:

quote:
In my view, Vader being in this movie is as big of a plot point as knowing somebody dies.

Well to be fair if Vader does indeed show up, lots of people are going to die. And it'll be epic.

Can't even imagine how awesome this moment will be. Hoping his introduction is something like a rebel being hurled across the room to his death, then you hear the breathing. Camera pans to reveal him in all his glory.

Aside: What was more badass, Han shooting Vader as soon as he sees him on Bespin, or Vader stopping the shots?
redline248
AG
Vader deflecting the blasts was more badass. Han's give no f.cks attitude was great, though.
First Page Last Page
Page 430 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.