Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,859,538 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 6 hrs ago by TCTTS
fig96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:

The guys on Collider mentioned how Gareth Edwards does a really good job of showing scale in his films, especially Godzilla.

He nailed it as far as showing how massive the Death Star really is.
I really like Edwards as a storyteller and I think he's gonna kill it on this film.

For anyone looking for an interesting watch, check out Monsters (not the sequel). Super low budget scifi thriller that's a lot of fun for what it is.
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, I re-watched Godzilla the other day, and it actually gets better with every viewing. The way that story is told is really, really cool - where Edwards decides to cut, get out of scenes, come back to them, etc. is so expertly done, and always leaves you wanting more. My only complaint is killing off Cranston's character so early. That was a fatal error in my opinion (no pun intended).
Duncan Idaho
Loved monsters
jeffk
AG
http://www.buildabear.com/shopping/store/Star-Wars-Wicket-the-Ewok/productId=prod11700018

M.C. Swag
AG
True, but I also applaud him for having the guts to do it. Also, the intro scene that depicts his mother's death, is extremely well done. Really hit me in the feels.The movie falls apart in the human interactions, when the focus goes from the strain between a father and son, to then relying on a useless Elizabeth Olsen and the mailed in performance of Aaron Taylor Johnson (who I really like). But nearly every scene with Godzilla was pretty well done.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
quote:
Alls I know is, I can't wait to see this done with 2016 visual effects.

Wasn't that the test firing?
It was a "demonstration", if I remember correctly. They'd probably tested it themselves before demo'ing it to the Rebels.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
I believe it was a demonstration of it at its full power. So I guess they could get away with it as long as it was a smaller planet or moon.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Edit: I see that this has been addressed.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
quote:
quote:

It was. Tarkington said to Leia, "we shall now test this station's destructive fire power on your home planet of Alderaan".

But I wonder... She seemed to know what to expect when he said that, so it could be possible the Empire had tested it already.
fig96
AG
quote:
Yeah, I re-watched Godzilla the other day, and it actually gets better with every viewing. The way that story is told is really, really cool - where Edwards decides to cut, get out of scenes, come back to them, etc. is so expertly done, and always leaves you wanting more. My only complaint is killing off Cranston's character so early. That was a fatal error in my opinion (no pun intended).
I actually haven't seen Godzilla since in theaters, would be interesting to give it another watch. Enjoyed it the first time around though.
wangus12
AG
quote:
But I wonder... She seemed to know what to expect when he said that, so it could be possible the Empire had tested it already.
Well they knew that it was a secret weapon and had the plans at that point so it is possible she knew what it could be capable of
jeffk
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
It was amazing in IMAX.
Zemira
AG
When I need my dose of nerdy for the day I just check this thread.
Zemira
AG
Double post of nerd love on the Star Wars thread.
Duncan Idaho
And that is all they need to set the time of the movie. Hell have that on an business card as you walk in the theater or as a break out in the corner of the poster.

I mean if dune came with a glossary cheat sheet.
512Ag
AG
I made a slight modification to that graphic:

jeffk
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Well done.
Duncan Idaho
The Collective
AG
quote:
quote:
But Clone Wars had a narrator for each episode introduce a la the crawl

I didn't lie that at all

It is for kids, so makes sense...
dave94
AG
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Manuel_Both-Hanz
512Ag
AG
RIP, Manny.
wangus12
AG
TheDoctor
AG
quote:

SwigAg11
BryanAggie2013
redline248
AG
That's just perfect
When I heard the unknown voice explaining her list of charges, I took that to mean she was captured by the Empire as a result of stealing the plans or trying to steal the plans--as in, those weren't pulled from her backstory, but what she was being charged with as a result of the events of this movie. The movie has a darker feel, so I could see it not having a 100% positive ending.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

It was. Tarkington said to Leia, "we shall now test this station's destructive fire power on your home planet of Alderaan".

Notice he said test ... destructive power. They're not testing the laser or its effectiveness (that's already been done, which we shall see in Rogue One) they are testing its destructive power. "Just how big of a planet CAN we blow up!?"

My assumption is previous tests started with asteroids, then moons, then smaller planetoids... Alderaan may be huge and they want to see if the death star can take it down.
TCTTS
AG

http://makingstarwars.net/2016/03/star-wars-episode-viii-pinewood-set-photo-of-ahch-to/
jr15aggie
AG
Noticed something new watching the Blu-Ray... At the end when Rey is looking for Luke she has a blaster strapped to her leg. Reminded me of Luke in empire when he knew the force, but still had the blaster.
jr15aggie
AG
Rofl! So my middle child (she's 9)... We're playing a family game after dinner and she had to excuse herself for the bathroom (#2)... She comes out of the bathroom and looks at us as says, "tell that to Konji-Club!"

I about died!
redline248
512Ag
AG
That's fantastic!
First Page Last Page
Page 409 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.