Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,859,146 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 4 hrs ago by TCTTS
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Well here's the news I've basically been expecting since TFA's opening weekend. Ep VIII moved to December 2017.

http://www.starwars.com/news/star-wars-episode-viii-to-open-december-15-2017

Not the least bit surprised, and in fact I'm kind of relieved we'll have a year between Rogue One and Ep VIII. They were flirting with over-saturation having them release five months apart.

Now we essentially have a game of chicken between Star Wars and Avatar. There's no way Cameron doesn't move, he is all about the slow burn, building success off word of mouth and lack of competition.

Expect Avatar 2 to move pretty soon.
wangus12
AG
Naturally bummed about it moving, but it was expected and I'm perfectly happy with them taking their time with these movies
AliasMan02
AG
Wife just texted me a teary-eyed emote in response to the news, coupled with "Those BAST#RDS!"
redline248
AG
Keeper. Buy her some flowers today.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
I'm going to need a complete plot synopsis for Episode VIII by the end of the week to compensate for this blatant slap in the face.
AgMarauder04
AG
quote:
I'm going to need a complete plot synopsis for Episode VIII by the end of the week to compensate for this blatant slap in the face.

Snow planet
Walking tanks
I'm your dad
Muppet
Etc
Saxsoon
AG
quote:
Well here's the news I've basically been expecting since TFA's opening weekend. Ep VIII moved to December 2017.

http://www.starwars.com/news/star-wars-episode-viii-to-open-december-15-2017

Not the least bit surprised, and in fact I'm kind of relieved we'll have a year between Rogue One and Ep VIII. They were flirting with over-saturation having them release five months apart.

Now we essentially have a game of chicken between Star Wars and Avatar. There's no way Cameron doesn't move, he is all about the slow burn, building success off word of mouth and lack of competition.

Expect Avatar 2 to move pretty soon.
Good, I was afraid Disney was going to eff this up with too close releases.

Also, they had to realize the money they could make with this.

Also something to consider, Disney has a vested interest in Avatar doing well so they will ask him to move to the early early summer (April or even march as we learned from Cap 2).

This is the mock up of the new Pandora land being added to Animal Kingdom.

Slight kink is the land is supposed to open in 2017. Maybe Disney is foreseeing delays in construction and is taking a combination of successful release of Episode 7 and shifted some puzzle pieces around.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
Seriously though, this is Disney. They are not taking the hero kid from the cartoon my 8 year old loves and making him the most evil person in the galaxy.

They MIGHT however set up a way to bring that kid back into the new movies as an awesome Jedi who's been in hiding for 40 years.
Lor San Tekka?

Could have worked, but they killed him off real quick for a major tie-in like that.

Force ghost training?
dave99ag
AG
Pandoraland will be pretty cool in Animal Kingdom.

I'm really geeked about the Star Wars installation in DW. Can't wait to take my kiddo when he's old enough.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:

I'm really geeked about the Star Wars installation in DW. Can't wait to take my kiddo when he's old enough.

I've been to Disney and Universal 8 combined times.....and I vowed never to go again last time.....and then they announced the SW plans and I found out about Pandora.....my kids are all grown pretty much so i'm still skeptical that i would go again but it's possible.....

my trips:

Disney World October 1999 - kids were 1.5 and 4.5

Disney World Summer 2002 - kids were 4 and 7

Disneyland and California Adventure (and Legoland) 2005 - kids were 7 and 10 (his 10th birthday at Legoland)

Disney World 2008 - kids were 10 (her 10th birthday in Magic Kingdom and Princess encounter meal) and 13

Universal Studios June 2010 - grand opening of Harry Potter - with me and daughter (12) only

Universal Studios March 2011 - Harry Potter with the whole family kids were almost 13 and 16

Disney Land and California Adventure October 2014 - just me, I was at a conference, rode single rider line on a bunch of stuff at night

Disney World and Universal Studios July 2015 - vowed this was the last trip, kids were 17 and 20, did a nostalgia tour of our favorites in Disney and the new Harry Potter Wizarding World 2nd phase (Gringotts and Hogwarts Express and Diagon Alley) opening, etc.

damn i've spent a lot of money on that place.

Saxsoon
AG
quote:
quote:

I've been to Disney and Universal 8 combined times.....and I vowed never to go again last time.....and then they announced the SW plans and I found out about Pandora.....my kids are all grown pretty much so i'm still skeptical that i would go again but it's possible.....

my trips:

Disneyland and California Adventure (and Legoland) 2005 - kids were 7 and 10 (his 10th birthday at Legoland)

Disney World 2008 - kids were 10 (her 10th birthday in Magic Kingdom and Princess encounter meal) and 13

Universal Studios June 2010 - grand opening of Harry Potter - with me and daughter (12) only

Universal Studios March 2011 - Harry Potter with the whole family kids were almost 13 and 16

Disney Land and California Adventure October 2014 - just me, I was at a conference, rode single rider line on a bunch of stuff at night

Disney World and Universal Studios July 2015 - vowed this was the last trip, kids were 17 and 20, did a nostalgia tour of our favorites in Disney and the new Harry Potter Wizarding World 2nd phase (Gringotts and Hogwarts Express and Diagon Alley) opening, etc.

Let me put it this way. My parents own two timeshares with Disney at old key west and boardwalk villas. We have been to WDW probably 12-15 times, 4 Disney cruises, not including the times at Disneyland.

Also worked in the Disney college program my freshman year for 4 months.

We are going to aulani in Hawaii in May.

Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

my trips:

Let me put it this way. My parents own two timeshares with Disney at old key west and boardwalk villas. We have been to WDW probably 12-15 times, 4 Disney cruises, not including the times at Disneyland.

So does this mean you've seen Walt's head in the cryo-container?
Saxsoon
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

my trips:

So does this mean you've seen Walt's head in the cryo-container?

No but I got my haircut underneath dumbo, this was before the new fantasyland construction and they moved dumbo.

You have to be a level 44 Disney Masonic wizard before you get to see walts head. My family is only level 10
double aught
AG
You guys are nerding up the Star Wars thread!
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
To be fair, Disney is part of the Star Wars universe now. Well, the other way around, but, same difference.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Apparently some rewrites going on for Ep VIII. I wonder if they delayed the movie due to rewrites, or if the rewrites came due to having 7 extra months. Either way, these sound like good changes. In fact I'm surprised our new trio weren't bigger roles to begin with.

quote:
Rian Johnson is reportedly rewriting his script for Star Wars -- Episode VIII.

The rumor comes from the Meet The Movie Press video podcast. Therein it's stated that filming on Johnson's iteration "has been pushed about a month." The delay, if true, is the result of the writer/director reworking his script in response to the strengths of The Force Awakens. Specifically, the roles of Daisy Ridley, John Boyega and Oscar Isaac's characters Rey, Finn and Poe will be expanded some while a pair of new characters' roles will be reduced. Gugu Mbatha-Raw, Tatiana Maslany, Bel Powely and Gina Rodriguez have been rumored to be up for those mysterious new roles.

I said before there were two young female roles, now I actually heard that the rewrite will make these roles smaller," says The Wrap's Jeff Sneider on the podcast. "They want to get to know better the characters they already have. So the new rewrite is shrinking the new roles in order to spend more time with Rey, Poe and so on.
Saxsoon
AG
quote:
Apparently some rewrites going on for Ep VIII. I wonder if they delayed the movie due to rewrites, or if the rewrites came due to having 7 extra months. Either way, these sound like good changes. In fact I'm surprised our new trio weren't bigger roles to begin with.

quote:
Rian Johnson is reportedly rewriting his script for Star Wars -- Episode VIII.

The rumor comes from the Meet The Movie Press video podcast. Therein it's stated that filming on Johnson's iteration "has been pushed about a month." The delay, if true, is the result of the writer/director reworking his script in response to the strengths of The Force Awakens. Specifically, the roles of Daisy Ridley, John Boyega and Oscar Isaac's characters Rey, Finn and Poe will be expanded some while a pair of new characters' roles will be reduced. Gugu Mbatha-Raw, Tatiana Maslany, Bel Powely and Gina Rodriguez have been rumored to be up for those mysterious new roles.

I said before there were two young female roles, now I actually heard that the rewrite will make these roles smaller," says The Wrap's Jeff Sneider on the podcast. "They want to get to know better the characters they already have. So the new rewrite is shrinking the new roles in order to spend more time with Rey, Poe and so on.

That is a little shocking, but less Tatiana is a little disappointing.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Don't get it...didn't JJ say the script was pretty much awesome as was?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I doubt they are significant, plot-altering changes.
Chipotlemonger
AG
quote:
I doubt they are significant, plot-altering changes.

Ah you think JJ was just referencing mainly the plot and not any of the dialogue per day?
amercer
AG
I hope they don't have to cut much of New Cloud City.
wangus12
AG
Something I haven't thought about yet. With Rey bringing Anakin's lightsaber to Luke, who already has one, what will happen to it. Will she continue to use it or will she eventually build her own?
AgMarauder04
AG
quote:
Something I haven't thought about yet. With Rey bringing Anakin's lightsaber to Luke, who already has one, what will happen to it. Will she continue to use it or will she eventually build her own?

She'll build her own, ans attach both to her staff.
jeffk
AG
quote:
quote:

She'll build her own, ans attach both to her staff.

Use all three to make her LIGHTSABER TRIDENT.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
I think it really depends on how much time passes between Episode VII and VIII. If it's been 3 months, she'll have Anakin's. If it's been 3 years, you'd think it would be hers.

Although, if they're going to emulate ESB, she should use Anakin's lose it in a fight, and then come back with her own in Episode IX, and wouldn't that be a great opportunity to drop in the double-bladed yellow sabre staff?

Not sure if anyone else feels this way, but I am thinking about TFA and the f uture of the franchise like all day some times. So much so that I can't even post all the things I'm thinking because if it would take forever to type them all out.
AgMarauder04
Ag Since 83
AG
Am I the only person who wants to never see a double bladed lightsaber again?
Farmer1906
AG
quote:
Am I the only person who wants to never see a double bladed lightsaber again?
I'll be frank, Yes.
AgMarauder04
AG
Pocahontagully 2 release moved to not compete with Episode VIII

Don't know how that happened...trying again:

Duncan Idaho
quote:
I think it really depends on how much time passes between Episode VII and VIII. If it's been 3 months, she'll have Anakin's. If it's been 3 years, you'd think it would be hers.

Although, if they're going to emulate ESB, she should use Anakin's lose it in a fight, and then come back with her own in Episode IX, and wouldn't that be a great opportunity to drop in the double-bladed yellow sabre staff?

Not sure if anyone else feels this way, but I am thinking about TFA and the f uture of the franchise like all day some times. So much so that I can't even post all the things I'm thinking because if it would take forever to type them all out.

I will be through with the "saga" movies if this next one ****ing "rhymes" with esb.

**** get some orginal ****ing ideas.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
quote:
quote:

I will through with the "saga" movies if this next one ****ing "rhymes" with esb.

**** get some orginal ****ing ideas.
I just got a sneak peek at the Episode VIII opening scroll!

Episode VIII
The First Order Retaliates

It is a gloomy time for the
Resistance. Although Starkiller Base
has been destroyed,
First Order troops have driven the
Resistance forces from their oddly small
base and pursued them across
the galaxy.

Evading the really scary First Order fleet of starships, a group of freedom
fighters led by Finn and Poe, Best Bros!
has established a new secret
base on the out-of-the-way snowy world
of Snowth.

The evil lordling Kylo Ren,
who has met Poe for like 30 minutes and thought he already killed Finn
, has dispatched
thousands of drones into
the far reaches of space....

redline248
AG
I won't be done with it, but I do hope it's not that similar to Empire.
Knife_Party
There will undoubtedly be some similarities simply because we have two novice/journeyman force users that will need some training to fight against the evil/good. Now that I think about it, it would be pretty interesting for them to juxtapose Rey and Kylo's training. Of course they'll have to decide how much time they want to have passed.
Saxsoon
AG
http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/01/22/avatar-2-wont-open-in-2017-against-star-wars-episode-8?utm_source=IGN%20hub%20page&utm_medium=IGN%20(front%20page)&utm_content=2&utm_campaign=Spotlight

Avatar won't open against Star Wars

double aught
AG
quote:

fighters led by Finn and Poe, Best Bros!.

First Page Last Page
Page 359 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.