Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,859,511 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 6 hrs ago by TCTTS
AliasMan02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
Even for Android though?

Reviews of the platform conversion have been very positive.
Duncan Idaho
quote:
Why all the Miles hate? (I see a lot in the comments of other blogs). I kinda think he's a good actor. I think he could pull it off.
Can't see Dave Franco in the role. Just can't.

My personal choice would be Joseph Gordon Levitt. But then again, I'm a fan.

Is miles even allowed to be on a movie without that Woodley chick?

The casting people are really struggling with trying to find some one that has the right dbag / softie balance. I can see why they looked at franco. Not my pick but I get it.
wangus12
AG
My first thought was Ingruber because of Age of Adaline.

I don't Miles or Franco are a good fit and Ansel is a definite no
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
quote:
I bet a lot of people thought recasting someone as a young James Tiberius Kirk would never work, either. Weren't most people generally happy with Chris Pine in that role?

Maybe Spock and Quinto was less well received, though.
Good point. Still, I don't know why, but that feels different for some reason.
For me, part of the reason they worked is because of the reboot their life experiences would have been slightly different so while the mannerisms were similar (Urban as McCoy is almost a direct copy, and a good one IMO) their reactions to some situations being different was understandable. AFAIK, most people's negative reaction to Spock's portrayal didn't really happen until

I think that a younger Han could work well enough if they do it at a transition point in his life, such as when he wins the Falcon from Lando or meets Chewie.

Edit: Though really, the only actor on that list that strikes me right off the bat in being able to pull off the looks of Han is Logan Lerman. Don't want Dave Franco.
boogieman
AG
He was in a movie called Two Night Stand with the Analeigh Tipton ( girl from Crazy Stupid Love) that wasn't half bad.

Not that I'm wanting him to win the part or anything. Just saying.
wangus12
AG
Mother of God!

George Lucas back to the Star Wars movies petition

These people are so ****ing dumb
The Collective
AG
I don't even know what to say...

quote:
I'm signing this petition because we need good storytelling in movies nowadays and not just a lot of flashy camera angles and explosions like what JJ Abrams or disney would make.

Paul Larcom, becker,

quote:
I knew Disney and JJ Abrams were going to play it safe and try very hard to please the fans after all the negative reactions from the prequels, but I didn't expect just how far back they were gonna stay within the lines. It was a pretty much a plot-point by plot-point remake of "A New Hope" and extremely heavy-handed on nostalgia and winks to the fans. It lacks injecting anything truly new and interesting into the Star Wars Universe. Because the movie relies so much on these elements, it made the overall story very small. Even the "Phantom Menace" is much bigger in concepts and grandeur in comparison. There were parts during the movie where I actually got bored because I could figure out exactly how certain scenes or plot twists would play out just by knowing how things occurred in the original trilogy.

JJ Abrams' reliance on emotional buildups didn't help in some of those scenes either. Several times he would play out a sequence just a bit too long, and the stretch of these "dramatic tension" would end up becoming too-telling of what will occur next. I also felt the movie suffers from a weak script that didn't address much needed story setups, and many of the character motivations are very very vague with following actions that are also unclear. "Why are you dong this?", "Why is that happening?" How did he do that?" keeps popping up in my mind during the film.

I wouldn't say "The Force Awakens" is a bad movie overall but it does fall short in several areas. It lacks a grand vision and George Lucas is the man who can put it back into the franchise. PLEASE BRING HIM BACK!

Chi Wang, Orlando, FL

5 days ago
Ag Since 83
AG
I was wondering when that petition would be brought up on here. It's like some people just ignore all the stupid things Lucas says and does
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:
I was wondering when that petition would be brought up on here. It's like some people just ignore all the stupid things Lucas says and does

It's like they never saw the prequels at all.....I could tear into those with 1000 complaints each. Ugh.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
The response to this movie has pretty much convinced me of what I already knew - Star Wars fans will always ***** about anything and everything. Some "fans" hate more of the movies than they actually like.

To these people I say the following - you are not a Star Wars fan. If the franchise makes you unhappy more than it makes you happy, it's time to move on.
The Collective
AG
quote:
The response to this movie has pretty much convinced me of what I already knew - Star Wars fans will always ***** about anything and everything. Some "fans" hate more of the movies than they actually like.

To these people I say the following - you are not a Star Wars fan. If the franchise makes you unhappy more than it makes you happy, it's time to move on.

It's simple really. You just deny that a few movies were even Star Wars to begin with, and it works itself out.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
500 days until Episode VIII.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
quote:

It's like they never saw the prequels at all.....I could tear into those with 1000 complaints each. Ugh.

SapperAg
AG
quote:
It lacks a grand vision and George Lucas is the man who can put it back into the franchise. PLEASE BRING HIM BACK!

This guy must negotiate trade deals for a living. That's the only group I could imagine with such an overinflated sense of the "grand vision" of the prequels.
AliasMan02
AG
quote:

I dabble in a business that relies almost entirely on fandom to survive. Having to cater to this crowd is unbearable, believe me. I'm glad Star Wars is above pandering.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Raging nerd boner.

SwigAg11
512Ag
AG
From the comments section of that video:
"Fake, his fingers did not come off when he touched the beam."

But really. That's awesome.
Simplebay
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Interesting theory I saw on reddit:

Knights of Ren wiped out the Jedi Academy, but Kylo couldn't bring himself to kill Rey, who was likely a small child at the time. Obviously they didn't want her to continue being trained, so they mind wipe her, then take her to Jakku to hide her from Luke and make him think she's dead.

Thoughts?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I don't love it if only because it makes it an awfully big coincidence that Max Von Sydow's character just happened to be so close to Rey. If he was on the light side and was watching over her, then Luke would know she's alive.
Flashdiaz
AG
quote:

Knights of Ren wiped out the Jedi Academy, but Kylo couldn't bring himself to kill Rey, who was likely a small child at the time. Obviously they didn't want her to continue being trained, so they mind wipe her, then take her to Jakku to hide her from Luke and make him think she's dead.

Thoughts?
not bad.
-explains how she picked up\remembered the force so quickly.
-Kylo not wanting to kill her in the fight and taking it easy on her in the interrogation room.
-explains how someone can leave a child with a scummy pawn shop dude... (doesn't explain the female 'we'll come back for you' in her vision).
-explains Luke's loss for words.
Flashdiaz
AG
quote:
I don't love it if only because it makes it an awfully big coincidence that Max Von Sydow's character just happened to be so close to Rey. If he was on the light side and was watching over her, then Luke would know she's alive.
darn, didn't think of that.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:

Knights of Ren wiped out the Jedi Academy, but Kylo couldn't bring himself to kill Rey, who was likely a small child at the time. However, they didn't want her to continue being trained, so they took her to mind wipe her, and take her to Jakku to hide her from Luke and make him think she's dead.

Thoughts?

possible....but a bit cheesy....i mean he just spares her? convenient. and all that trouble to hide her.

would have expected Kylo to recognize her then, through force power if nothing else and he does comment she is strong but never makes that correlation, or does and chooses not to mention it. bit of a reach.

although i will admit i think Kylo's reactions and even statements to her are odd at best.

when he tells her he can feel it too, what exactly?

and he could have easily killed her - he immobilized her at one point with the force and swung his saber near her neck. he didn't even need info from her any more so why not kill her? and then instead he chooses to fight her in hand to hand combat with sabers when he has show he could disable enemies and even lasers with the force. it is like he wanted her to discover her power.

odd...the more i think about his behavior the more odd it becomes - but then again he is strange and unpredictable.
Ag Since 83
AG
I think it would make sense: sparing her could be one of the consequences of his struggling with/being tempted by the light side.

Any voices she hears from her family could be explained away as fake memories he gives her

Also, in terms of what he remembers, keep in mind that (Episode VII novelization spoiler ahead)...

in the novel, when she catches the lightsaber, he says "it is you."

End spoiler

So it's a plausible theory. I don't think they'll go that route, but I like it.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Hmm. Here's a thought - he wants her to discover her powers because a) She comes from a dark side user/family, or b)the KOR and Snoke were always planning to hide her from Luke and turn her to the dark side when it was the right time.
Ag Since 83
AG
I guess the only problem is why would he be so surprised this girl from Jakku is strong in the Force? Unless he's pulling some Vader-esque long con against Snoke - which of course he probably is
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I can see it already - Kylo tracks down Rey and takes her to Snoke, and Snoke tries to turn her by telling her the terrible truth: "I am your father."

Slided bread
AG
InternetFan02
AG
quote:

Thoughts?
i had a similar theory on the spoiler thread in the early days when it was getting 100 posts an hour. The theory revolves around Kylo and Snoke tempting her to the dark side and playing her against Luke. "Luke abandoned you and left you to die. I actually rescued you and made sure you were safe in Jakku"
The Collective
AG
She has the rebel pilot doll. I assume that is one of the item's from her actual childhood, so I don't expect some dark side parent twist.
Flashdiaz
AG
quote:
She has the rebel pilot doll. I assume that is one of the item's from her actual childhood, so I don't expect some dark side parent twist.
maybe it's a rebel pilot VOODOO doll
The Collective
AG
She could be Palps' granddaughter. I bet he was getting lots of action as emperor.
redline248
AG
If Snoke/Kylo wanted to turn little child Rey to the dark side, why dump her on some random planet (also inhabited by a friend of Luke/Leia), instead of just take her off to the First Order headquarters and train her all along?
AgMarauder04
AG
quote:
I guess the only problem is why would he be so surprised this girl from Jakku is strong in the Force? Unless he's pulling some Vader-esque long con against Snoke - which of course he probably is

She didn't meet Kylo on Jakku.
First Page Last Page
Page 352 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.