Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,858,794 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by TCTTS
Knife_Party
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Did they come with a topless blond?
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Finally got in my 2nd showing yesterday afternoon. 1:50 p.m. showing, normal theater, 100% sold out. I sat next to 2-3 women who were easily in their 60s, and who had clearly never seen it before. They cheered aloud when Rey caught the lightsaber, and it had me thinking, and this isn't meant to be a 'bash the prequels' knock again, but there are a lot of powerful scenes in TFA, that's what I noticed more than anything on a second showing.
Farmer1906
AG
quote:
Did they come with a topless blond?

I'll let you know in 5-7 days.
Jaydoug
AG
My wife just sent this to me and my boys:

"friendly reminder that leia has lost her adoptive parents, entire planet, father, husband, son and been abandoned by her brother and yet has never been tempted by the dark side even once
take notes skywalker boys ya'll weak"
redline248
AG
That's brilliant
Knife_Party
That's a good catch. There are many scenes and sequences that are meant to leave a mark on the audience emotionally. The prequels were all about "spaceships are cooooool cgiiiiiiiiiiii" which is hilarious because of what Lucas said about star wars being about people with problems and not about spaceships.
AliasMan02
AG
In my third viewing today I continued to be more and more emotional. Lump in my throat several times from the opening crawl to the look on Rey's face as she stood before Luke.
InternetFan02
AG
I had the same reaction where it was a much more emotional experience overall on the 3rd viewing.
MW03
AG
Sadly, someone on the nerdery board ruined it by posting a thread titled "Han dies" which I saw before it was deleted. I thought it was faked until I was reading at Dark Tower movie thread on Reddit and someone posted randomly about the bad guy and who he was and what he did.

I'm not a fan boy, so it didn't ruin it for me. However, it still sucks that some people are *******s just for the sport of it.

Speaking of, I never was a huge fan of the original movies. I just saw them too late in life for them to take hold had I seen them as as kid. That being said, I enjoyed this movie quit a bit. Carrie Fisher continues to be a terrible actress, but I thought the rest of them did a pretty good job.

I haven't read through these crazy long threads, but I'm assuming everyone loved that the whole thing was basically an homage to the first original movie. Was it designed to seem like the same movie on purpose, kind of like a new reboot? Even for someone that had only seen the original trilogy once or twice, it seemed pretty close to the first one.
redline248
AG
Maybe JJ is a fan of BSG and all that "this has all happened before and will happen again" babble.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Some new official images to dissect to infinity.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
The fact that they were considering making Snoke a female early on blows a pretty big hole in the Plagueis theory. That said, it could be misdirect.
amercer
AG
quote:
The fact that they were considering making Snoke a female early on blows a pretty big hole in the Plagueis theory. That said, it could be misdirect.

You're assuming they have all three movies mapped out already.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I'm not. I'm assuming they know what Snoke's backstory is.
amercer
AG
quote:
I'm not. I'm assuming they know what Snoke's backstory is.

Right, but I'm not sure they do.

JJ made a masterful film, but after thinking on it a couple of weeks I think he really is the worlds best reboot artist. I'm not sure they really do know where they are going, and I'm kind of ok with that. Let as many talented people as possible (and the nerds at Lucasfilm) keep molding the coolest story they can.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
They definitely don't know where they're going. But that doesn't mean they don't know where their characters have been.

If JJ wrote Snoke, Rey, etc without having at least an inkling of their history and backstory, then that's pretty disappointing. I'm sure things will continue shifting here and there, but I'd think the foundation of those characters was created while they were developing TFA.
AggieSportsGuy
AG
I'm sure it's been discussed, but Rey's memory may have been wiped a la Revan in KOTOR.
amercer
AG
I'm not a huge fan of the memory wipe idea. Plus she would have been 4 or 5 when Kylo went bad right? Even if she was at Lukes academy, how much would she remember? I like the idea that she knows a lot more than she is letting on. That would also explain why she's such a badass.

As for Snoke, he has to be either Palps old master, or something greater than a Sith. Some sort of a dark side puppet master running the galaxy in secret from the outer rim for centuries. Like an evil Foundation using the force to see and mold the future.

Since all sequels need higher stakes than the movies that preceded them, Snoke really had to be some sort of ultimate evil IMO.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
quote:
I'm sure it's been discussed, but Rey's memory may have been wiped a la Revan in KOTOR.
Speaking of Revan, I've not posted my replay of KOTOR update in a while. Found the Star Maps on Dantooine and Kashyykk, currently on Tatooine wiping the floor with Sand People with my Jedi Consular Kylo Ren, Bastilla Shan, and Canderous Ordo. The game is the best thing ever.
Texaggie7nine
So is Rogue One going to be the "boba fett" movie we wanted or is that later?
7nine
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
So is Rogue One going to be the "boba fett" movie we wanted or is that later?

Doesn't appear so.
redline248
AG
I really don't care about a Boba Fett movie.
OnlyForNow
AG
Rouge One is going to be about the pilots who steal the Death Star plans just prior to A New Hope.
Bruce Almighty
AG
I never understood the fandom of Boba Fett.
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
Rouge One is going to be about the pilots who steal the Death Star plans just prior to A New Hope.

And, likely, the battle (first Rebel victory) during which the heist takes place.
Texaggie7nine
Vader respected Boba as the best at what he did. Bounty hunters are cool. So Boba is the coolest.
7nine
redline248
AG
Went out like a chump
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I don't necessarily want a Boba Fett movie. What I DO want, is either a Netflix series or a movie based on the concept art for Star Wars 1313, and the bounty hunters of Coruscant.

That **** would be tight.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Coolest thing about Boba Fett (not even him really), was this.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
The idea of seeing X-Wing space battles again with present day technology gets me harder than Aniston's nipples on the set of Friends.
JJxvi
AG
I was just thinking about the prequels, and the idea came to me that you could probably remake the prequel trilogy almost plot point by plot point with minor alterations as star trek movies and they might actually be pretty good.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:
I was just thinking about the prequels, and the idea came to me that you could probably remake the prequel trilogy almost plot point by plot point with minor alterations as star trek movies and they might actually be pretty good.
minus Jar Jar.
JJxvi
AG
Jar Jar would just be some random alien that Spock and Kirk have to deal with while settling this damn trade dispute the federation sent them to do. I think he could have almost no alterations and it'd be good just by having Kirk and Spock interacting with him rather than what we got. Qui-gon already comes off to me as kind of a Kirk like figure, he flies by the seat of pants gambling their whole mission on crazy stuff. Of course you'd have to fix the part where that character dies, and I'd probably swap the love interest with the queen to Kirk rather than the kid who goes on to rebel against the federation or whatever, or maybe the kid ends up having an unrequited crush on her and thats why he turns on everybody, especially Kirk.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Simon Pegg should play the Jar Jar character via motion capture just for the sake of irony.
JJxvi
AG
The George Lucas prequel storytelling style of having two characters sit and talk to each other about whats going on in front of a green screen also seems to fit the Star Trek style better, where such discussions do happen on the starships or in communications. The fact that none of the characters are fleshed out in the prequels is fine because we'd simply be pasting already existing the audience knows about onto the characters in those roles that need no such introductions. And the themes of those films with trade disputes, political manuevering, dealing with moral dilemmas like using clones as an army seem to fit more of a moral based star trek plot.
First Page Last Page
Page 343 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.