Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,860,078 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 9 hrs ago by TCTTS
The Collective
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
so I simply stated that their husbands also don't run marathons, do multi-week long hiking treks or keep any semblance of a physical shape other than round. I hate arrogant *****es who make fun of someone because of the movies they love or the music they listen to. Aggravated the hell out of me.

All in.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Good for you. I can't abide that **** either.
BassCowboy33
quote:
quote:
I've always sort of wondered if some of the rotten reviews for a movie that is in the 95-98% range are just doing so to be contrarian and pull clicks to their websites (if they have any) or blogs.
One of the things I admired about Roger Ebert was that he always reviewed films objectively. He admitted to not liking comic book movies but always reviewed them with the comic book fan in mind and compared them to other comic book movies. I think most critics are like that. Some critics are not like that. If they don't like action movies, they will never give action movies a good review. Then you have blowhards like Armond White who gives any movie above a 90% a bad review.

This is evident in Christopher Nolan films. There is a segment of critics out there who HATE his films and refuse to give the review any kind of objectivity.
Malachi Constant
AG
Well the joke's on you because I don't even know what twitch is!
Cave Johnson, CEO
AG
quote:
People asked me yesterday at our department meeting why I took a random Thursday off before Christmas. I told the I was going to see Star Wars. They wondered why I took the full day and I explained I was going to the marathon that starts at 3AM tomorrow morning. Multiple women (basic *****es) mocked me and mentioned how they'd never seen the films and they were glad that their husbands didn't watch that 'crap'. We are a small department, so I simply stated that their husbands also don't run marathons, do multi-week long hiking treks or keep any semblance of a physical shape other than round. I hate arrogant *****es who make fun of someone because of the movies they love or the music they listen to. Aggravated the hell out of me.
That **** would annoy me too, I don't know why people feel the need to make comments like that, as if what others enjoy doing on their own time is any of their business anyways.
Cave Johnson, CEO
AG
quote:
Well the joke's on you because I don't even know what twitch is!
It's a gaming website where people stream themselves playing video games and what not.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Armond White gave Toy Story 3 a negative review.
wangus12
AG
quote:
Does he not have a soul!
Farmer1906
AG
quote:
Good for him. That movie sucked.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Your trolling is weak, old man.
wangus12
AG
This is how anyone should have felt during Toy Story 3

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Anyone know where I can get one of these?

jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
Multiple women (basic *****es) mocked me and mentioned how they'd never seen the films and they were glad that their husbands didn't watch that 'crap'.
Their husbands sound like they are a joy to talk to at the office parties......
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Dat gif quality tho
The Collective
AG
I liked the ending to TS3, but part of me wanted to see Woody just leave LotsO hanging. Everyone has a dark side, right?
Bruce Almighty
AG
quote:
Off the top of my head, Armond White has given a negative review to

Every single Pixar movie including all three Toy Stories
Every single Nolan movie
Every single MCU movie
Every single Spider-Man movie
District 9
40 Year Old Virgin
Bridesmaides
Knocked Up
12 Years a Slave
wangus12
AG
quote:
quote:
Multiple women (basic *****es) mocked me and mentioned how they'd never seen the films and they were glad that their husbands didn't watch that 'crap'.
Most of them are finance people that make awesome money. I work in medicine & exercise. We don't have a lot of crossover. Luckily, I see them tops like 3x a year
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
And a positive review to Jack and Jill.
The Shank Ag
Gay Black Pentecostal... I could see how he hates everything
Farmer1906
AG
quote:
Your trolling is weak, old man.
Good call, but I don't think we're that far off on age, kiddo.
jr15aggie
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
Most of them are finance people that make awesome money. I work in medicine & exercise. We don't have a lot of crossover. Luckily, I see them tops like 3x a year
I'm such a people pleaser I can't imagine having to have that conversation, but man if you piss me off I can 180 on your ass really quick!!!

Seriously, who says that... makes fun of a man for doing something he enjoys on a day off work and then goes so far as to say 'glad my husband isn't like that'. Again, I'm a people pleaser, but I'm pretty sure I would have gone "Red Ross" on her! Probably would have busted out with something like, "well, believe me lady, if I was your husband I probably wouldn't watch it either after you killed my will to live having to lay in the same bed with you every night!"

I'm sorta pissed off just hearing the story honestly! If you live anywhere near Austin and need backup you just let me know pal!
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
It has begun...

http://www.smh.com.au/business/media-and-marketing/star-wars-the-force-awakens-tipped-to-biggestever-local-box-office-hit-20151216-glonqf.html
jr15aggie
AG
I said I wasn't going to read any reviews (even non spoiler reviews)... but I never said I wasn't going to watch one. I've been following the Collider guys for around 6 months now when I discovered their Jedi Council weekly segment. I'm checking out there non spoiler review right now. I'll post my thoughts on it after.... these guys are such fans and are so jazzed up it should definitely increase my hype!
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Same here. Only review I'm watching until after the movie.
Malachi Constant
AG
quote:
quote:

Every single Nolan movie
Every single MCU movie
District 9
40 Year Old Virgin
Bridesmaides
Knocked Up
12 Years a Slave

What films has he given positive reviews?
Bruce Almighty
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Every single Nolan movie
Every single MCU movie
District 9
40 Year Old Virgin
Bridesmaides
Knocked Up
12 Years a Slave

Tyler Perry
The Collective
AG
quote:

Here is what he said in his excerpt for a positive review of the 2010 version of Clash of the Titans... c/lol

quote:
"Leterrier certainly shows a better sense of meaningful, economic narrative than the mess that Peter Jackson made of the interminable, incoherent Lord of the Rings trilogy. " New York Press
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
This thread went from 10k to 11k real damn quick.

Farmer1906
AG
quote:
It has begun...

http://www.smh.com.au/business/media-and-marketing/star-wars-the-force-awakens-tipped-to-biggestever-local-box-office-hit-20151216-glonqf.html
Looking back at Australia's box office history. Best I can tell Avatar is the only film to do over 100 M since 2001. It did just under 106 M. The next closest is Avengers at 54 M then HP DH 2 at 51 M.

Sounds like it'll be #2 after two weeks.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
quote:

Here is what he said in his excerpt for a positive review of the 2010 version of Clash of the Titans... c/lol

quote:
"Leterrier certainly shows a better sense of meaningful, economic narrative than the mess that Peter Jackson made of the interminable, incoherent Lord of the Rings trilogy. " New York Press

wangus12
AG
I'm the same way. I also have such a broad range of interests that I usually am able to carry out conversations with someone based on things we have in common because there is almost always something. Except these guys. All the talk about is money and all they do is money and all they care about is money.....and the one thing I don't have....is money
wangus12
AG
quote:
Damn, I liked Clash of the Titans, but it was an ok movie. It's like saying high school baseball is better than the MLB which would be the LOTR trilogy
jr15aggie
AG
Some highlights from the Collider review... non spoilers, but don't read if you don't want any impressions of any kind. BTW, I recommend watching (it was linked on this thread a page or 2 back)... it will only get you more excited listening to these fan boys gush over the movie:

1. They LOVED the new cast. Each one on the review panel had a different favorite new character... Rey, Finn, Poe, & Kylo all mentioned.

2. Said it is NOTHING like the prequels... this feels like Star Wars. A couple guys said they had a few gripes, but not once did they have a "did they really just do/say that" moment like we had many times during the prequels.

3. They said Harrison Ford is so much more Han Solo in VII than he was Indiana Jones in Crystal Skull... meaning, the man is back and you could tell he was really digging it.

4. Best Star Wars since 83... they will have to view more than once to determine how it ranks against the originals.

5. The opening crawl is really good and gets you going from the very beginning!

6. Good humor in this movie... you will laugh.

7. This movie will leave you wanting more. Questions to be answered, characters that are begging for more screen time, etc. We will be satisfied, but we are going to be so ready for Ep. VIII.

What I found interesting about their non spoiler review... they didn't mention Luke or Snoke a single time. Leads me to believe that there are indeed big spoilers around both characters and both are probably featured very little in the film. I'm ready!
jabberwalkie09
AG
For those interested in keeping score of he positive vs negative reviews for TFA, the current count is apparently 125 positive and 4 negative reviews per theforce.net forums.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
127 to 4 now on RT
First Page Last Page
Page 322 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.