Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,859,948 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 8 hrs ago by TCTTS
80s Guy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
quote:
I have talked to a handful of people who didn't buy tickets yet, and also assumed that it was impossible to think about going for a week or so.
Of the two theaters here in Waco, one was sold out through Sunday afternoon. The other one (in Woodway) had was sold out for Friday all day, and Saturday after 3pm but had all times available for Sunday. I know it's Waco but still not nearly as hard to get tickets as I thought it would have been, Bought 4 tickets for the 330 pm Sunday screening.
The Collective
AG
Is the embargo up on Alvin and the Chipmunks tonight? I've been waiting patiently for RT to release its score.
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, I keep getting emails about theaters adding showings simply because of the demand.. That, and it's projected to make $80 MILLION in pre sales by tomorrow, which is insane. I don't think it'll backfire at all.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
quote:

Looks like Oswalt was drunk-tweeting last night....
The Collective
AG
quote:
Yeah, I keep getting emails about theaters adding showings simply because of the demand.. That, and it's projected to make $80 MILLION in pre sales by tomorrow, which is insane. I don't think it'll backfire at all.

The theater I am going to has 14 screens, I believe, and I count 6 other movies showing on Thursday night. Does that mean the other 8 screens are showing Star Wars? Maybe...
AgMarauder04
AG
Yes still, TWILIGHT opened on more screens than TFA.

WHAT. THE. HELL.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
^ That's the main reason I'm iffy on it breaking the opening weekend record. It would have to break not only the opening weekend record, it would have to obliterate the per-theater-average record.
Farmer1906
AG
quote:
^ That's the main reason I'm iffy on it breaking the opening weekend record. It would have to break not only the opening weekend record, it would have to obliterate the per-theater-average record.
AgMarauder04
AG
quote:

Does it? Last I read, it was the 2nd biggest opening for screen number behind ONLY twilight.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Not even close. If it's the rumored 4,100, it's not even the biggest of this year.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/widest.htm?page=WIDESTOPEN&p=.htm
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
And top per-theater averages:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/weekends/theateravg.htm?page=THTRAWOPN&p=.htm

Current record-holder is JW with $48,855.

If TFA opens to 4,100 theaters, for it to break $209M, it would have to average $51,000+.

It's doable, but it would have to play very strong all day every day of the weekend. We're talking sold out matinees and 10 PM showings.
TCTTS
AG
I'm almost positive that's a theater count and not a screen count. I could be totally wrong, but with the way a ton of theaters are throwing TFA up on sometimes 10 screens per theater, I could very well see it playing on the most screens ever. And that's all that matters when it comes to ticket sales, obviously.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Yeah I wasn't totally clear on it either, but I do know it's not opening anywhere near the most theaters.

I think Saturday will tell us everything we needs to know. We all know Thursday and Friday will be packed with fanboys. If it holds strong on Saturday, it probably breaks the record. (JW did $69m)
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Honestly, I still can't figure out how Jurassic World broke all these records. Came totally out of left field.
Donald Glover
AG
quote:
Honestly, I still can't figure out how Jurassic World broke all these records. Came totally out of left field.

That's exactly what i was thinking, very very average movie IMO
birdman
I can't imagine this movie doesn't break the records, regardless of theatre count.

On Friday night, the College Station cinema is showing TFA thirty times. All the other movies combine for 55 screenings on Friday.

I imagine that this is pretty standard for the nation. One-third of the screenings seems like a bunch to me.
wangus12
AG
quote:
Yeah I wasn't totally clear on it either, but I do know it's not opening anywhere near the most theaters.

I think Saturday will tell us everything we needs to know. We all know Thursday and Friday will be packed with fanboys. If it holds strong on Saturday, it probably breaks the record. (JW did $69m)
I saw Juarassic World on a Saturday mid-afternoon and every single Mexican who came brought the entire extended family to the movie. That's how it broke the record.

And the way those tweets are reading, they can probably just rely on the fanboys to carry it through the weekend. I know I have tickets to 3 showings
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
I bought tickets for Friday when they first went on sale back in October, but I was just able to buy tickets for opening night with very good seats for a showing that they added. Kind of surprised me that these were so easily had.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
http://deadline.com/2015/12/star-wars-the-force-awakens-advance-ticket-sales-are-staggering-1201667547/
TCTTS
AG
BOOM.

quote:
According to industry trackers, Thursday could break all previous preview records with a box office take of anywhere around $50M and counting, easily flying past Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 2 which took in close to $44M.
quote:
At this point in the sales cycle, MovieTickets.com is noting that Star Wars: The Force Awakens has sold more than double the number of advance tickets to the recent blockbuster Avengers: Age of Ultron (which took in $191.2M in its opening weekend in 4,276 theaters), 20% more than Jurassic World ($208.8M in 4,274 theaters)
TCTTS
AG
Even those numbers, I feel, are conservative. I still think this blows away opening weekend box office expectations.
aggiebonzo
AG
Is review embargo lifted midnight EST or PST?
Donald Glover
AG
PST i think
512Ag
AG
quote:

Choobs has always been my favorite.
The Collective
AG
quote:
PST i think

Correct. 12:01 PST per TCTTS.
fightinags2013
AG
I feel like I'm rolling the dice each time I look at this thread. I want to be in on discussion/buzz, but I'm still afraid of spoilers. Why the heck do I do this to myself??
tamusc
AG
wanewman
quote:
I feel like I'm rolling the dice each time I look at this thread. I want to be in on discussion/buzz, but I'm still afraid of spoilers. Why the heck do I do this to myself??
Same. I quickly read the first few words of each post and decide whether it is or isn't too much information to keep going.
tamusc
AG
Fun little browser game that uses your phone as the lightsaber
An Ag in CO
AG
From the business side of things:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-12-15/why-disney-blew-up-more-than-30-years-of-star-wars-canon
SwigAg11
AG
quote:
From the business side of things:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-12-15/why-disney-blew-up-more-than-30-years-of-star-wars-canon

I try not to think about it.
TCTTS
AG
Everyone here is doing a great job of posting/discussing reactions without even remotely spoiling anything. There's (currently) nothing to worry about. That said, even I'm not going to read a single official review before I see the movie on Thursday. That's where things can start to get dicey, spoiler-wise. So, again, please keep most plot-heavy reviews/links to the spoiler thread. Only post reviews/links here if they're super vague, plot-wise.
Donald Glover
AG
Darth Vader is Luke's father
Donald Glover
AG
crap, i just ruined the thread didnt i
Legal Custodian
AG
Wow, that's pretty cool
First Page Last Page
Page 319 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.