Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,859,782 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 7 hrs ago by TCTTS
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Darth Plagueis was talked about in Revenge of the Sith. He was Palpatine's master, who taught him everything and was killed in his sleep by Palpatine.

Welp, three posts at the exact same time, lol. There you go.

[This message has been edited by Brian Earl Spilner (edited 5/6/2014 3:35p).]
InnerCityAg
Darth Plagius was talked about in Episode 3. Get with the program Mr. movie review guy.
TCTTS
AG
Ha, wow. I saw Episode III ONCE, in the theater, and have had zero desire to ever revisit it. The prequels are trash, and I apologize for not remembering a name Palpatine uttered to Anakin in a movie nine years ago.

That said... I like the idea. I just don't know how they'd pull it off or explain where he's been all this time. Maybe he's a Force ghost, and that's who Sydow is playing? Could explain why he wasn't at the script reading. Abrams wanted to go super-method...
Red Five
AG
quote:
C'mon man, Plagius was mentioned in Revenge of the Sith by Palpatine to Anakin at the opera. He talked about how he used the dark side to prevent death.
To be even more specific, Palpatine mentioned as well that Plagueis could create life with the Force. My opinion is that Palpatine learned that from him before killing him and used that knowledge to create Anakin, injecting some sense into the otherwise stupid idea that Anakin was conceived without a father.

[This message has been edited by Red Five (edited 5/6/2014 4:16p).]
InnerCityAg
His father was that flying Jewish guy.
Red Five
AG
Swore I could remember this discussion coming up already. yep, on pages 14/15.
TCTTS
AG
If he can prevent death, it's safe to assume he's still around, right? At least in Force ghost form?
Red Five
AG
EU Alert! We already had that discussion too. Sith can't become Force Ghosts, that is a Jedi-exclusive power.

That being said... it's reasonable to expect they could overturn that in favor of having Plagueis as the villain.
redline248
AG
TCTTS, you might as well watch Sith again.
redline248
AG
quote:
EU Alert! We already had that discussion too. Sith can't become Force Ghosts, that is a Jedi-exclusive power.

That being said... it's reasonable to expect they could overturn that in favor of having Plagueis as the villain.

Again, this is probably technically canon, based on a Yoda episode in the final Netflix only season of clone wars.

As to Plagueis showing up...there's always the possibilities of holocrons (relic with recorded teachings/messages/etc, for the non EU crowd)

[This message has been edited by redline248 (edited 5/6/2014 4:30p).]
TCTTS
AG
quote:
TCTTS, you might as well watch Sith again.

I'm sure I will, but will wait closer to when Episode VII hits. Putting it off as long as I can...
TCTTS
AG
quote:
Sith can't become Force Ghosts, that is a Jedi-exclusive power.

Then did we ever get any kind of indication as to what "preventing death" actually meant? I took that to mean it was Plagueis who was the one who discovered how to live on as a ghost. If not, then did he actually figure out how to stay in physical form? Maybe he was off on some planet that had some thing keeping him alive that he could never leave until now?
redline248
AG
Well first, there is the possibility that Palps lied to Anakin about that.

If I remember, Palps said he could prolong life, but died before teaching his apprentice (pretty much accepted as palps). Either way, plagueis should be dead.
TCTTS
AG
Gotcha.
Red Five
AG
In the EU, Palpatine was able to use the force to transfer his consciousness into clone bodies to extend his life. I believe it was mentioned that he was so corrupt that the force was destroying his body constantly. He was also able to do this to other people, in particular I remember a story about the designer of the death star who was forced to suffer being killed and reanimated every time Palpatine got upset over some hitch in the construction process.
redline248
AG
Slight correction, Palps says Plagueis taught the apprentice everything. So I think it's likely that he lied to Anakin about keeping people alive, since he later told Vader he didn't know how to keep Padme alive. Of course, that could be a lie too, so Vader would continue following his plans.
Ulrich
Plagueis is dead according to both the movie and the EU.

Per the EU, Plagueis and Palpatine's manipulation of the Force is what caused Anakin Skywalker to be born. The means are deep into the midichlorian concept, but the story could still work.
redline248
AG
I will be disappointed if the movie uses Plagueis for much or if they revisit Anakin's conception
InnerCityAg
If the do talk about midichlorians and Anakins conception, then I hope they at least go into a lengthy explanation of it all. We need to understand as it plays a significant part to all 9 movies.
COOL LASER FALCON
I'll have a hard time enjoying the new movies if eps 1-3 are required viewing. I've seen them all, but would need to watch them again to refresh my memory. I really don't want to do that.
TCTTS
AG
quote:
I'll have a hard time enjoying the new movies if eps 1-3 are required viewing. I've seen them all, but would need to watch them again to refresh my memory. I really don't want to do that.

This.
redline248
AG
I'll doubt they are required viewing. However, imo, sith is the best of 3...and how can we take your opinions seriously if you can't remember somewhat key elements to the story's plot?

TCTTS
AG
My opinion is that the prequels are steaming piles of crap and not worth re-watching for any reason. That alone should be enough for you to take my additional opinions seriously.

[This message has been edited by TCTTS (edited 5/6/2014 6:42p).]
TXAG 05
AG
Geez. They weren't great, but they weren't that bad.
Rudyjax
AG
quote:

Are you kidding?
TCTTS
AG
Hmmm...

Devin Faraci ‏@devincf
Little birdies tell me Sophie Turner, aka Sansa Stark, met with Bad Robot.
Sex Panther
AG
quote:

Yes they were. The only reason people defend them at all is because their love for the original trilogy clouds their judgement.
YellowPot_97
AG
all the haters be damned, I still enjoy the hell outta Ep1 and 3, and parts of 2.
InnerCityAg
quote:

Yes, they were. They got slightly better as they went on from what I remember... but maybe its because I watched them less and less.

I think I watched Episode 1 three times (mostly just to verify that it sucked that bad). I watched Episode 2 twice and Episode 3 just once.
redline248
AG
I wonder a possible role in Star Wars would affect Sophie and Game of Thrones...

Edit: then again, could be for anything

[This message has been edited by redline248 (edited 5/6/2014 7:44p).]
Quinn
AG
So if I only saw Episode 1 when it came out (I was in middle school, I think), I don't need to see II and III? I feelike I should for completist sake. Are they on Netflix of Amazon Prime?
Bruce Almighty
AG
I thought ep 1 was decent, 2 was poor and 3 pretty good. To be honest, Return of the Jedi has just as many faults as the prequels. Of the six movies, only two of them are great.
COOL LASER FALCON
quote:
So if I only saw Episode 1 when it came out (I was in middle school, I think), I don't need to see II and III? I feelike I should for completist sake. Are they on Netflix of Amazon Prime?
I think you should probably check them out. Have really low expectations and you won't hate them as much as most people.

If you have cable, I think Spike usually does a marathon on Memorial Day, July 4 and/or Labor Day. Not even available for rent on iTunes or Amazon, so pirating might be your only other option.
COOL LASER FALCON
As far as the prequels, I really hated all 3. Episode 1 had no redeeming qualities outside of the Darth Maul fight IMO and I just couldn't even focus on anything in Ep 2 and 3 because of how annoying Hayden Christensen was. All magnified of course by how much I wanted to like them.

[This message has been edited by CPt skateboard mcpizza (edited 5/6/2014 8:24p).]
Rudyjax
AG
The worst part about the prequels was the directing. He took amazing, quality actors, and made them seem like they were reading their lines.
First Page Last Page
Page 29 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.