Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,859,115 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 4 hrs ago by TCTTS
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Here are a few more magic moments from his chat with Abrams, the director and co-writer of "The Force Awakens," who has spent the last three years making the "Star Wars" film:

"At 2:30 in the morning (today) we finished the mix of the movie," said Abrams, talking about "Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens." He casually added, later "I was talking to John Williams last night."
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
With perhaps the most important job in entertainment right now, the director informed Colbert that he had completed "The Force Awakens" just hours earlier.

"We were working on the final mixes at 2:30 this morning," the helmer said. "I left with six very small, but important things that (still) need to be done because I said, 'I have to get to the Montclair Film Festival.'"

Later in the evening when a fan asked if he wanted the project to "just be over," the director got candid.

"I wish you could zip line down here and hug me," Abrams said to the fan. "The truth is working on this movie for nearly three years, it has been like living with the greatest roommate in history for too long. It's time for him to get his own place. It's been great and I can't tell you how much I want him to get out into the world and meet other people because we know each other really well. But really, 'Star Wars' is bigger than all of us. So I'm thrilled beyond words (to be involved) and terrified more than I can say."
Donald Glover
AG
I knew Daisy Ridley was hot but man she looked great in that SNL video
512Ag
AG
Agreed.
stick95
AG

For some reason, this just seems way bigger than Episode I. Is it because Episode I-III we, shall we say, less than most fans hoped? Or is it because it is Disney? Or is it bringing back Harrison Ford? Or D) All of the above?
Try and make something idiot proof, and all they do is make a better idiot.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I agree that this feels bigger. Case in point: I came down to the valley for the holiday, and my mom asked me if I am excited for the new Star Wars. My parents aren't all that plugged into pop culture and Hollywood, so the fact that they're aware of it enough to ask me about it says a lot to me. I took them to see Avatar and they didn't even know what it was, other than what I told them.

I think Harrison is a huge part of that. Everybody loves him, and he's returning to arguably his most iconic role after 32 years. It feels like an event in a way that the prequels didn't.
jr15aggie
AG
quote:
I agree that this feels bigger. Case in point: I came...

Dude! I just quoted you verbatum.... Keep it PG please!
wanewman
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Supposed to be an exclusive scene from TFA on the American Music Awards in a bit. Not quite sure how much more of it I can stand.

REMINDER - Jimmy Kimmel's all-Star Wars episode is TOMORROW NIGHT
Gig-Em2003
AG
It feels bigger because it's a continuation of the story, not a prequel to it.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Maz - a pumpkin wearing glasses?

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Sort if wish it was Colbert doing the SW episode, as je is a huge fan. Should be great either way.
jabberwalkie09
AG
Too much time doing the fake bake.
RebAg13
AG
Colberts ratings have been dropping
wanewman

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Yesterday news hit the web that advance ticket sales for J.J. Abrams movie are at $50M, and sources in exhibition pre-sales this morning tell me that figure is at $54M and could rise to $100M by the time the film debuts on Dec. 18. Here's why: Disney has only run a minimal part of its ad campaign. One non-Disney source says that figure is as low as 5% and is going to swell this coming week as we head into Thanksgiving, a prime time for eyeballs at the multiplex. Furthermore, we're also a month out from opening. The fact that Force Awakens has reached $54M in advance tickets sales is stunning for both distributors and exhibs.

With nearly a month to go, Fandango's pre-sales for Force Awakens have already topped the total pre-sales of their previous record holder, the first Hunger Games movie, back in 2012. Fans are even buying advance tickets beyond opening weekend, through Christmas week and into 2016, while theater chains are continually posting new showtimes on Fandango to meet the fan demand. Imax reported yesterday that Force Awakens is their current record pre-seller at $18M. Imax reps a third of digital and large format screens, and its domestic build out will reach close to 400 hubs in time for Force Awakens. Despite these record pre-sales figures, there are still millions of tickets left for opening weekend. Keep in mind, when Disney/Marvel'sThe Avengers hit a $207.4M opening, the average theater had a capacity of 63%, so it wasn't a total sell-out situation.

With such lofty advance sales, that near $300M opening may not be so crazy now. Said one rival major studio marketing chief, "When it comes to the opening of Star Wars: Force Awakens, there isn't an opening that would surprise me. You could put a 2, a 3 or a 4 in front of it. Nothing would shock me."

In fact the B.O. projection math per one exhibitor that gets us to a near $300M opening goes as follows: 12,000 auditoriums X 225 seats X $10 ticket X 18 shows a day X a 60% occupancy=$291.6M. Since Force Awakens has a running time of 2 hours and 15 minutes, exhibitors will be able to show the film as much as 18-24 times a day on 3-4 screens. While that's a normal number of showtimes for any city multiplex, sources believe that even suburban venues will pump up their showtimes for this movie beyond their typical norms.
The Collective
AG
quote:

Nazis
birdman
It feels bigger because it IS BIGGER. This feels like Empire Strikes Back buzz.

The prequels were good movies. But you weren't going to be surprised by anything. You knew all the characters who would survive, their relationships, etc. We have no idea how things will turn with Force Awakens.

Leia, Luke and Han. They certainly add some interest but not much. Almost everybody kinda figured they would be in this film. Maybe they hand things off to next generation and disappear. Or maybe they play larger role. Don't know and it makes me want to find out.

It is out of George Lucas hands. He just got burned out on Star Wars. I love Abrams taking over and injecting fresh blood into Star Wars. I know it will bring lots of energy to the franchise.

And lastly, the COOLEST TRAILERS EVER! Wow, were those awesome. If that didn't make you want to buy a ticket, something is wrong with you.
Duncan Idaho
I going to be in a town with an omnimax/imad dome on Dec 17. Should I try to get tickets to see it there or one of the liemax, or just a good traditional screena?

Duncan Idaho
quote:
quote:

Nazis

Nazis with suicide vests
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
quote:

Whoever thhose singers are should go away and not come back.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
quote:

Leia, Luke and Han. They certainly add some interest but not much.

Huh? I think Leia, Luke, and Han being in the movie is a HUGE source of interest for most people
jr15aggie
AG
quote:

Please stop... PLEASE!!!! We don't need anymore... we don't want anymore!

PS: Still looks amazing!!!!
S.A.Aggie2006
AG
quote:

anyone else a little bothered by Daisy talking with her hands so much in that scene? The whole "we got one" part she does with her hands does not seem real natural
GCRanger
AG
Lei, Luke, and Han being a part of this is one of the biggest reasons I want to see it. Id' be excited either way but those 3 are my emotional attachment to the SW universe.
Flashdiaz
AG
quote:
quote:
anyone else a little bothered by Daisy talking with her hands so much in that scene? The whole "we got one" part she does with her hands does not seem real natural

didn't notice it at first. watched it again, noticed but still not bothered by it.

Star Wars is full of hand gestures and full of finger pointing (Darth Vader and Han).

when you finally watch the movie, I hope you stop nitpicking and enjoy the movie.
wangus12
AG
Well that scene shows that Finn is definitely not a pilot.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
quote:
quote:

anyone else bothered that Finn is wearing a jacket and they are in the desert? SO FAKE
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

didn't notice it at first. watched it again, noticed but still not bothered by it.

Star Wars is full of hand gestures and full of finger pointing (Darth Vader and Han).

when you finally watch the movie, I hope you stop nitpicking and enjoy the movie.

That.
MSFC Aggie
AG
quote:
Well that scene shows that Finn is definitely not a pilot.
He also seems very "green" for being a stormtrooper.....alot of spots in the footage showing him not knowing how to do something
GiveEmHellBill
AG
quote:
quote:

Nazis
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
quote:

Nazis
S.A.Aggie2006
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

That.

Big difference what I am talking about. Everyone e said mark Hammil was not a very good actor but I was too young I didn't notice it. Sorry some got offended by pointing out that when you are running for your life your not goi g to make some exaggerated hand gesture. It is a sign of overacting
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG

quote:
when you are running for your life your not goi g to make some exaggerated hand gesture.
How do you know?
First Page Last Page
Page 272 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.