Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,859,163 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 4 hrs ago by TCTTS
Fat Bib Fortuna
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
It's a writing question.
Yeah I was teasing you, I'm going to email you from my dummy TxAgs Survivor pool email in a second.
Murder Hornet
AG
Most theaters do English language movies. In fact I think the Germans prefer to watch them that way
COOL LASER FALCON
Thanks
Rex Racer
AG
quote:
quote:
Does anybody else find the Gone with the Wind stuff to be BS... has this every really been questioned? I mean, I know new movie releases were rare back then and this movie was in the theater for like at least a couple years I think. But did they really have an accurate count of tickets purchased?

There are just countless number of screens in todays world compared to the 30's that had like, what, five or six total (I know, not really). I just find it odd... there was only a small % of the population back then that had somewhat easy access to a movie theater.

I'm sure somebody can explain why I'm so wrong.
The reason is that it was frequently re-released, and since there weren't a bunch of movies out every year, people went to see it lots and lots. According to Wiki it was initially out for seven months in 1939-1940, and re-released in 1942, 1947, 1954, 1961, 1967, 1971, 1974, 1989, 1998, 2013, and 2014.
That shouldn't count, then. If it does, they should count the Special Editions of Star Wars that were re-released in 1997.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
Does anybody else find the Gone with the Wind stuff to be BS... has this every really been questioned? I mean, I know new movie releases were rare back then and this movie was in the theater for like at least a couple years I think. But did they really have an accurate count of tickets purchased?

There are just countless number of screens in todays world compared to the 30's that had like, what, five or six total (I know, not really). I just find it odd... there was only a small % of the population back then that had somewhat easy access to a movie theater.

I'm sure somebody can explain why I'm so wrong.
The reason is that it was frequently re-released, and since there weren't a bunch of movies out every year, people went to see it lots and lots. According to Wiki it was initially out for seven months in 1939-1940, and re-released in 1942, 1947, 1954, 1961, 1967, 1971, 1974, 1989, 1998, 2013, and 2014.
That shouldn't count, then. If it does, they should count the Special Editions of Star Wars that were re-released in 1997.
Uh, they do count that.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
quote:
They do.

Star Wars' Special Edition release helped it overtake E.T.'s box office record:

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I loved these ads Lucas, Spielberg, and Cameron used to put out. Think they send one to JJ if he overttakes Avatar?

AgMarauder04
AG
Titanic.
Pocahon...err..Fern Gu...atar.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
The last Hunger Games opens this week. I'm going to make a wild guess that TFA will outgross its opening weekend by at least 20%.

I'm thinking $180m for Mockingjay, $215m+ for TFA.
Guess I really overestimated how much Mockingjay would do. Figured it'd be the top grosser in the series since it's the big finale, but guess not. Opened to $16M in Wed/Thurs night previews, compared to the $50M TFA has already grossed.

Whatever Mockingjay does opening weekend, TFA may damn near double it.

No question now it'll be the top grosser of the year, only question now is by how much it can top JW's $208M opening.
Bruce Almighty
AG
I think a lot of people are like me in that I loved the first two Hunger Games, thought Mockingjay part 1 was meh and am in no big rush to see part 2 because of how mediocre part 1 was.
jr15aggie
AG
quote:
quote:
No question now it'll be the top grosser of the year, only question now is by how much it can top JW's $208M opening.

The bigger question might be what is the average % of screens that this thing shows on? For example, if a theater has 10 screens, how many will be playing Star Wars? As far as I know the only new opening movie will be Alvin and the Chipmunks. So you really only need 1 screen for Chipmunks and then a few more that will still allow movies like Mockingjay, Creed, etc. to run a few times a day.

I bet Star Wars will command 50% of the screens at most theaters, but that's just a guess. Maybe somebody with more insider knowledge can let me know if that is reasonable. I just know Jurrasic World opened in June against a larger summer crowd of movies... pretty sure Star Wars will have a lot more screens than JW did opening weekend. Thus it should Hulk smash those numbers.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG

Ok, this is pretty badass, have to admit.
Texaggie7nine
quote:

I'm probably just being too picky, but I don't really like new shot types added. I don't believe a zoom in shot like that was ever used in any of the original movies. Yes, as a fan boy I want the look and feel to be as close as possible to the original.
7nine
JCRiley09
AG
So are we thinking that after the "return of the Jedi," the empire/first order made the necessary adjustments to fight hand to hand with a lightsaber? Or is this an elite crew that follows Kylo? All of the above?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
This theater may be an anomaly since it's in maybe the biggest metropolitan area in the country, but AMC Empire in Times Square has 25 screens and is showing on at least 13 screens as of now, by my count. That's Thursday though. Not sure beyond that.

If I had to guess, I would say that on Thursday night, it'll show on at LEAST half the screens of most multiplexes of major cities around the country. Some may even have it on all their screens.
amercer
AG
quote:
So are we thinking that after the "return of the Jedi," the empire/first order made the necessary adjustments to fight hand to hand with a lightsaber? Or is this an elite crew that follows Kylo? All of the above?

Im going to guess they could have spent that money better on a blaster firing range for stormtroopers.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
I'm thinking that at some point, they started training stormtroopers to be able to fight in hand-to-hand combat as you see there, though maybe not necessarily against lightsabers.

So maybe that would explain how Finn is actually able to hold his own against Kylo, or at least not get killed in seconds.
Duncan Idaho
Do you also insist on the overuse of screen wipes?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
quote:

I'm probably just being too picky, but I don't really like new shot types added. I don't believe a zoom in shot like that was ever used in any of the original movies. Yes, as a fan boy I want the look and feel to be as close as possible to the original.
Texaggie7nine
That's not one of the originals. Thats from the prequel filth.

YES screen wipes!!! Lots of them!!!
7nine
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Yes, I assumed you wouldn't want to count this.
Duncan Idaho
quote:
quote:

Im going to guess they could have spent that money better on a blaster firing range for stormtroopers.

I will take the simpler answer and say that the first order are the stormtroopers that the old Ben and everyone in the EU thought of storm was talking about when they talked about the storm troopers and not the cannon fodder that was shown in the original movies.

Just like I will take the Boba fett of the Christmas specials over the Boba fett of jedi.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Maybe that guy is Kylo's workout partner when things are dull around the STarkiller base.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
new quote from Mark Hamill in Empire mag.

"It reminded me of when I was in Tunisia on the salt flats [shooting the first Star Wars]. If you could get into your own mind and shut out the crew and look at the horizon, you really felt like you were in a galaxy far, far away. I had that same wave of emotion happen to me when I was on Skellig Michael in Ireland. I wasn't anticipating it."
Flashdiaz
AG
quote:
doubt they would make a weapon to counter a lightsaber because those are pretty rare.
possibly this new weapon can be used like a cattle prod to be used on civilians or to block enemy fire (pew pew). Could explain why Finn is able to use a real lightsaber since he trained before with those light batons of justice.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
I don't think it was meant to counter a lightsaber, he just knew it would from being around Kylo. I also hope that after about 5 hits it "breaks" because Finn's lightsaber is a real one, or at least better constructed or something.
TCTTS
AG
Be warned. I suggest the same basic idea a few days ago and people thought I was crazy.
AgMarauder04
AG
quote:
Be warned. I suggest the same basic idea a few days ago and people thought I was crazy.
Maybe we just don't like you.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Lol. Cattle in space.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
jr15aggie
AG
Val Kilmer?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
So who do we think will get the "I've got a bad feeling about this" line in TFA?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
AgMarauder04
AG
quote:

hurleyag
AG
quote:

Okay, so this got me thinking. Maybe Finn was trained with this weapon as a storm trooper. That could explain why he is comfortable using the light saber so soon in his character arc. Luke didn't use it to fight until Empire.
First Page Last Page
Page 270 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.