Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,859,141 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 4 hrs ago by TCTTS
jeffk
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I can't find Waldo.
thaed137
AG
So I have always had a question about the light saber duels in the Star wars universe. I've never understood why the Jedi actually have to fight with the light saber. I would think someone apt in the force would simply use the force to control the light saber. The Jedi could be safely far back and simply using the force to control the light saber and kill everything.

I had always hoped that would be the way Yoda would fight. You see him sitting in the middle of the room as the bad guy enters. Bad guy says something about old and he is about to die. Bad guy takes out his light saber. Yoda remains silent in deep meditation. The bad guy goes to strike down Yoda except at last second a light saber blocks him. He is in shock as Yoda is using the force to control the Light Saber. He then proceeds to fight a losing battle as Yoda doesn't have to guard his body from strikes as he is not connected to the Light saber and quickly dispatches the bad guy.

Oh well I'm sure there is some explanation about it.
AgMarauder04
AG
quote:
So I have always had a question about the light saber duels in the Star wars universe. I've never understood why the Jedi actually have to fight with the light saber. I would think someone apt in the force would simply use the force to control the light saber. The Jedi could be safely far back and simply using the force to control the light saber and kill everything.

I had always hoped that would be the way Yoda would fight. You see him sitting in the middle of the room as the bad guy enters. Bad guy says something about old and he is about to die. Bad guy takes out his light saber. Yoda remains silent in deep meditation. The bad guy goes to strike down Yoda except at last second a light saber blocks him. He is in shock as Yoda is using the force to control the Light Saber. He then proceeds to fight a losing battle as Yoda doesn't have to guard his body from strikes as he is not connected to the Light saber and quickly dispatches the bad guy.

That would take a lot of SUPER precise control.

Not saying someone like Yoda doesn't have it, but it's a lot more than moving stuff around
Flashdiaz
AG
quote:
sure. sounds like a boring movie. Kids (and adults) want to act out a lightsaber duel, not a meditate.
The Collective
AG
quote:
The best part? "George said to me, 'Darth Vader is Luke's father.' And I said, 'No ****?' I thought that was the greatest thing I'd ever heard." Kasdan realized that Empire was actually a second act.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
quote:

I always thought it was silly when Dooku tells Yoda that they are going to fight with lightsabers instead of the Force. No way Dooku can use the Force like Yoda.

I agree 100%, Jedi Masters shouldn't have to use a lightsaber. Why couldn't you just pick a guy up and throw him against the wall, or choke him out? I realize those are pretty dark actions, but when you're fighting for your life against another Force user, you gotta take some shots.

I think in some of the EU texts, the first Jedi used lightsabers both to set themselves apart and because they were largely defensive weapons against people without lightsabers- they could block blaster bolts and generally redirect them where they wouldn't hurt someone else. But then again you think, well couldn't the Jedi just use the force to yank the blaster out of the guy's hand? Dunno.

I would imagine the "how do jedi practice fighting each other" probably has something to do with it, as does the actual process of building a lightsaber being a practical lesson.
cr0wbar
AG
Battlefront day!
AcctAg11
AG
quote:
But then again you think, well couldn't the Jedi just use the force to yank the blaster out of the guy's hand? Dunno.

Doesn't Vader do this in ESB to Han?
Duncan Idaho
quote:
quote:
The best part? "George said to me, 'Darth Vader is Luke's father.' And I said, 'No ****?' I thought that was the greatest thing I'd ever heard." Kasdan realized that Empire was actually a second act.

False. According to all of the prequel apologists, it was the 5th act. Not the second.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Yes, and he also stops blaster bolts with his hands.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
quote:
Yeah but I never thought Vader could do this because of the force, it was because he was mostly machine
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

False. According to all of the prequel apologists, it was the 5th act. Not the second.
Second act of a second trilogy.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
quote:
Yeah but I never thought Vader could do this because of the force, it was because he was mostly machine
I could never tell if he was absorbing it with his robotic arm, or if he was actually stopping the blast before it reached his hand.

Let's not forget that Yoda was able to deflect/block Dooku and Palps' lightning like it was nothing.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Sure, lots of examples, I think the guy's question is more why Jedi/Sith fight each other with lightsabers.
AgMarauder04
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
I could never tell if he was absorbing it with his robotic arm, or if he was actually stopping the blast before it reached his hand.

Let's not forget that Yoda was able to deflect/block Dooku and Palps' lightning like it was nothing.
Didn't he do that with his hand?
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
yeah but I would say that is because force lightning is "part force" so a stronger user could deal with it. the blaster fire is not.

That is what I would say to everyone about Vader potentially trying to force choke Luke. If he was a lot more powerful in the force he could do it, but not if they were even. And thus why most Sith/Jedi just resorted to lightsaber duels.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I'm thinking the lightning was never reaching Yoda's hand, similarly the blaster shots weren't reaching Vader's hand. Not sure though. Maybe not even Lucas is sure.
Duncan Idaho
quote:
Sure, lots of examples, I think the guy's question is more why Jedi/Sith fight each other with lightsabers.

They would end up fighting over the one lightsaber.
AgMarauder04
AG
quote:
I'm thinking the lightning was never reaching Yoda's hand, similarly the blaster shots weren't reaching Vader's hand. Not sure though. Maybe not even Lucas is sure Lucas isn't even sure.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
So the "rebels" in Syria are attacking Raqqa?
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Looks like the Rebels are attacking a flowchart.
TCTTS
AG
http://makingstarwars.net/2015/11/star-wars-the-force-awakens-supreme-leader-snoke-speaks/
AliasMan02
AG
Do I want to read that?
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
quote:
http://makingstarwars.net/2015/11/star-wars-the-force-awakens-supreme-leader-snoke-speaks/
Ha there is a countdown on that site to Episode VIII 555 days. get on it Brian Earl Spilner
TCTTS
AG
Yes, it's fine. Just a couple more very minor tidbits about his character.
AgMarauder04
AG
quote:
http://www.wired.com/2015/11/building-the-star-wars-universe
That was a FANTASTIC article.
AgMarauder04
AG
quote:
Yes, it's fine. Just a couple more very minor tidbits about his character.
It claimed a potential minor spoiler, but I saw nothing I didn't already know.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
quote:
Ha there is a countdown on that site to Episode VIII 555 days. get on it Brian Earl Spilner
I'll start that one on December 18.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
The last Hunger Games opens this week. I'm going to make a wild guess that TFA will outgross its opening weekend by at least 20%.

I'm thinking $180m for Mockingjay, $215m+ for TFA.
AgMarauder04
AG
quote:
The last Hunger Games opens this week. I'm going to make a wild guess that TFA will outgross its opening weekend by at least 20%.

I'm thinking $180m for Mockingjay, $215m+ for TFA.
There are movies coming out in between now and TFA?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Nothing important. There's big movies, then there's Star Wars.
The Collective
AG
I'm getting nervous about Snoke. I don't want to dislike the character.
Flashdiaz
AG
quote:
jr15aggie
AG
quote:
It's like a blind date!!!
First Page Last Page
Page 264 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.