Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,858,946 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 3 hrs ago by TCTTS
amercer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Although I do agree that the first trailer strongly hinted at that being in this film.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
quote:
quote:
So, Johnny brought balance to the force?
I think this Hot Reelz from the TAILGATE today will answer that:

Start at 3:17 if you dont want to remember what happened on Saturday.
The lens flare at the end.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
Everyone assumes one or more of the young characters are Luke or Han/Leias kids. I don't see that as a first movie reveal.

Maybe I'm wrong (and the spoiler people might already know) but that seems like a movie two twist.
You also have to remember that Lupita's character went by a code name (Rose IIRC) for awhile, and the Rey not having a last name being provided is intentional per JJ. I'm still not entirely convinced that Rey is really her name to begin with, but rather an alias she is using for whatever the reason is. I don't have anything to substantiate that though. I want to say that the question as to her lineage is something that JJ was quoted as saying that the topic would be presented but not necessarily answered in the film.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
The logical answer is Leia boinked Lando when Han was in carbonite to produce Finn, then knocked boots with Han at the celebration on Endor to produce Rey and/or Kylo. Then 9 months later when Finn popped out, Han broke off the engagement, leaving Leia a pregnant single mother. Eventually she was on welfare, standing in line for food stamps with Greedo's widow and Boba Fett's Toydarian baby mama (don't ask). Inside Edition did a piece on her and the Resistance reached out, offered her a spot at the reception area. Before you know it, she's running the place.
The Collective
AG
quote:
The logical answer is Leia boinked Lando

Was Nien Nunb involved?
AggieSouth06
Total thread derail question from an amateur, but I don't want to start a new thread for a topic that's already being actively discussed...

I'm the guy that loved SW as a kid, saw the first prequel in theaters in my early teens, and that caused me to exit that world completely. Didn't see any of the other prequels in their entirety (and won't), and haven't watched the originals since I was really young.

But seeing the new trailer got me interested again, which brings me to my question: Is there ANY way to watch the old movies unaltered anymore? Can I send cash to some bootlegger or something?
InnerCityAg
I have them on vhs.
jabberwalkie09
AG
I'm sure some Nigerian prince can hook you up.

In all seriousness, I'm sure that some one can hook you up with some VHS copies.
AggieSouth06
quote:
I have them on vhs.

SOLD!

Follow up question: does anyone have a VCR I can borrow?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Suck it up and watch the blurays.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
quote:
quote:
The logical answer is Leia boinked Lando

Was Nien Nunb involved?
No, but he capitalized on his Battle of Endor fame by releasing a album of Sullustan Greatest Hits called "Comfortably Nunb" six months later.
allycakes
I have A New Hope on laserdisc. I love stopping 3 times to flip/change the disc.
jr15aggie
AG
All good stuff regarding Leia and the whole Vader / Force connection. The real answer may be more deeply discussed in books, but the movies have to sorta gloss over that stuff. I had always sorta assumed the rebellion knew Luke was a bad mofo Jedi type figure. But in reality he was promoted because he blew up the friggin Death Star. Makes sense he didn't mention a dead Jedi ghost helped him do it... I guess we sorta have to read between the lines on that stuff.

In general, we can always overthink anything in these movies. For instance, if the Rebellion didn't know about Luke being a secret wizard, it would have been very odd for him to disappear on Endor instead of leading like most Commanders do. Better not to think too much about the hows & whys and take it at face value. But I agree with y'all it will be cool for Leia to be very much secretive about it until there is a really good time to reveal herself and her power. Darth Vader Daughter type power!
jeffk
AG
Yeah, this ks the same military organization that promoted Lando to general after betraying Han to the Empire.

Go figure.
AggieSouth06
quote:
Yeah, this ks the same military organization that promoted Lando to general after betraying Han to the Empire.

Go figure.

Something something something TANAB!

#exposition
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
When did the Battle of Tanab supposedly occur? Before Lando infiltrated Jabba's security or after they got Han out.

How much time supposedly passed between rescuing Han and the battle of Endor?
wordman4077
AG
A little while back, some people were able to splice together the blue ray version of the trilogy with some older (unaltered) versions of the films, to create a high definition version of the original movies. They called it "Star Wars Despecialized".

Its pretty neat. This YouTube link has an explanation of how they did it, along with some links of how to download it.

Red Five
AG
quote:
When did the Battle of Tanab supposedly occur? Before Lando infiltrated Jabba's security or after they got Han out.

How much time supposedly passed between rescuing Han and the battle of Endor?
IIRC it was in the very early days of the rebellion. Before Episode IV.

edit: just looked it up, it was just after Yavin and the first Death Star. Although this comes from Legends, so who knows. It was just a throwaway line Lucas put in anyway.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Boyega's full trailer reaction:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1512716692386243&id=1431375647187015
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
A little while back, some people were able to splice together the blue ray version of the trilogy with some older (unaltered) versions of the films, to create a high definition version of the original movies. They called it "Star Wars Despecialized".

Its pretty neat. This YouTube link has an explanation of how they did it, along with some links of how to download it.

Was gonna post this. I can't recommend it enough. You'll be shocked how different it was from what was later released.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1512716692386243&id=1431375647187015
I'm loving how the actors in the film are enjoying the ride as much as we are. Even though they know what is going to happen, I can't imagine the amount of pride and excitement they must have with this film.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
SeattleAgJr
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
AggieChemist
AG
Is it worth my time to binge watch clone wars and Rebels? I have both on Netflix/Amazon. By the way, the Lego Star Wars cartoons are a riot. I bought them for my five year old and I laugh as much as he does. They are full of inside jokes.
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
Is it worth my time to binge watch clone wars and Rebels? I have both on Netflix/Amazon. By the way, the Lego Star Wars cartoons are a riot. I bought them for my five year old and I laugh as much as he does. They are full of inside jokes.

Yes, but don't be afraid to skip episodes of CW that look too kiddie. I bet you could find a viewing guide online that picks up the highlights and main plots.
AgMarauder04
AG
Rebels is good. Especially the series opener and season 1 conclusion. There are other important ones too.
jr15aggie
AG
quote:

That was really really good! I think I was talking about it a few pages back... these actors just do a job. They are there on a set or on location with no music, special effects, lighting adjustments, etc. They shoot it out of order and do so many takes & scenes that end up on the cutting room floor they have little idea how it's gonna look at the end. Sometimes the final product is very different from the original script they read.

No doubt it's a crazy deal, especially for a very young actor, to see yourself on screen... especially holding a flipping lightsaber!!!!!
jr15aggie
AG
I think I'm starting to piece together a very vague outline of events for the movie... I won't go over everything, but I'm pretty sure the movie will open with the invasion scene of that "village" or whatever.

Will mirror the original in many ways. No need for a lot of dialogue and what not, just a very cool and direct way to say, "hey audience, these are the bad guys". We see Kylo & his ship, storm troopers, and Phasma in this scene per the trailer... me thinks this is the opening. Will get the usual opening text crawl, then we see Kylo & Troopers drop ship descending on a planet, then the 1 sided fight... after this scene we cut over to a lone girl on a desert planet. JJ is copying Lucas!!!
The Collective
AG
quote:

Bet he imagined what that scene would look like. So cool.
Brahma
Is it just me or is it weird that we've really only seen one of the villains? Other than a few shots of Captian Phasma walking around looking like a badass, all we've really seen is Kylo. We know there are several more just based on casting and stuff, we just have no idea what role they will play.

It's so refreshing that we know almost nothing of what will be going on in this movie!
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
TCTTS
AG
We know that scene is at least very, very early in the movie, and I'd be willing to bet you're right. Both of J.J.'s Trek movies open with intense action sequences - same goes for Lost - and I'm almost positive he'll do the same thing here. I'm guessing:

OPEN WITH:

- Kylo/Stormtropper village raid / we meet Fiinn
- Something horrible happens
- Finn freaks out / begins to question his commitment to The First Order

CUT TO:

- Rey the next day
- We get a sense of her life on Jakku / see her scavenging as shown in the trailer
- Something fateful happens

CUT BACK TO:

- Finn doing whatever he does to defect / escape The First Order

EVENTUALLY (in the first act):

- Finn and Rey meet somehow/some way on Jakku.

That said, Poe definitely gets in the mix early with those characters. I have a hunch he'll be involved in the opening as well somehow, I just have no idea how,
AgMarauder04
AG
quote:
We know that scene is at least very, very early in the movie, and I'd be willing to bet you're right. Both of J.J.'s Trek movies open with intense action sequences - same goes for Lost - and I'm almost positive he'll do the same thing here. I'm guessing:

OPEN WITH:

- Kylo/Stormtropper village raid / we meet Fiinn
- Something horrible happens
- Finn freaks out / begins to question his commitment to The First Order

CUT TO:

- Rey the next day
- We get a sense of her life on Jakku / see her scavenging as shown in the trailer
- Something fateful happens

CUT BACK TO:

- Finn doing whatever he does to defect / escape The First Order

EVENTUALLY (in the first act):

- Finn and Rey meet somehow/someway on Jakku.

That said, Poe definitely gets in the mix early with those characters as well somehow. I have a hunch he'll be involved in the opening as well somehow, I just have no idea how,

Port gets captured early and tortured. I can't imagine Finn knows how to pilot a TIE. I bet Poe flied them both out of there. It's how Finn ends up with a resistance flight jacket.
jeffk
AG
Saw this this morning and meant to post it earlier.

http://grantland.com/hollywood-prospectus/ranking-star-wars-jackets/
First Page Last Page
Page 224 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.