Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,858,335 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 6 min ago by TCTTS
Texags is garbage
How long do you want to ignore this user?
quote:
https://i.imgur.com/L4tL4XH.jpg

I try to avoid hyping movies up too much these days, but I couldn't contain myself after that line.
Texaggie7nine
quote:
That's not real right? Fatty has to be joking...right?!?

Correct
7nine
jr15aggie
AG
I feel like my Star Wars buzz is starting to wear off. A hangover might follow, but that was a heck of a party, eh!?
DB Coach
AG
quote:
So good...

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2015/10/20/star_wars_the_force_awakens_trailer_premiered_new_john_williams_music.html
I'm still somewhat speechless every time I watch the new trailer again, and I truly think that the music is the reason, hands down....it's a great score from beginning to end. Reading that blog that TC posted just adds to it. So freakin' awesome!
The Collective
AG
It is totally the music. The part where it shows what I assume is the Knights of Ren standing in the rain is just spectacular.
twilly
AG
I haven't heard anybody talking about Leia's role in the movie, or the universe for that matter.

She's a Skywalker. I'm assuming she's strong in the Force. How strong is she? Has she been trained? Has she trained anyone? Does she have her own lightsaber?

I would think that having two Force-sensitive Skywalkers in the film, both of their Force growth stories would need some development/explanation?

With today's culture demanding stories about strong women, I can't see how Leia would be relegated to Suzie Q Politician when she has a powerful gift.

What do you guys think?
DB Coach
AG
Interesting question...I have always wondered since the end of ROTJ, if she would learn the ways of the force.
jabberwalkie09
AG
I think that she will be passively strong in the Force. Meaning that she didn't train in the ways of the Force, but still has a strong connection to it and can see and feel things. IMO, Luke will be the one between the two of them to carry on the legacy of the Skywalker clan in learning the ways of the Force.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
I would guess/hope that Leia follows the path that she does in the "Legends" where she trains passively as a Jedi but very rarely fights, instead using her powers as a diplomat and politiican, helping her read others thoughts and intentions and be a good, fair negotiator.

Just watching it for my third time today - I now tear up every time like the 9-year-old I was in 1983 when Han Solo says "The dark side ... the Jedi .. they're real."

I think a lot of it has to do with the jaded way Harrison Ford treated Star Wars for a couple of decades, which I really do think I understand. Either you're 100% fan friendly like Mark Hamill, or it starts to drive you insane that people can't differentiate between you and your character.

Still, somehow, someway, Lucasfilm and JJ Abrams got him invested in this. Maybe Ford was grateful for the chance to play Indy again and is doing this as a thank you, maybe he's getting the wish granted that he wanted for ROTJ, or maybe he just realizes it's his chance to do something truly, truly great again on screen. Whatever the reason is, as much as I look forward to seeing Luke again in this movie, seeing Han Solo, humble and emotionally invested even for a few seconds, is the best thing about the trailer for me.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
Just watching it for my third time today - I now tear up every time like the 9-year-old I was in 1983 when Han Solo says "The dark side ... the Jedi .. they're real."

Seriously. This, combined with that music, is easily my favorite part. The more I see it, the better it gets.

Harrison/Han are both awesome.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to listen to this damn song.

Duncan Idaho
I've been listening in to the "aftermath" audiobook while I've been running and the writing style works a little better in that format.

The Collective
AG
quote:
I now tear up every time like the 9-year-old I was in 1983 when Han Solo says "The dark side ... the Jedi .. they're real."

Pull yourself together, man.
MSFC Aggie
AG
quote:
quote:

Seriously. This, combined with that music, is easily my favorite part. The more I see it, the better it gets.

Harrison/Han are both awesome.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to listen to this damn song.

It's amazing....listening to that track....you can almost hear traces of his other great works...Jaws, Superman, Close Encounters, etc.

How will Williams stack up with Bach, Beethoven, etc. in the distant future?
InnerCityAg
Well, he is obviously WAY better than those other guys.
Bruce Almighty
AG
If we stayed in the Big 12, its possible that Sherman doesn't get fired.
If Sherman doesn't get fired, its possible that Manziel transfers.
If Manziel Transfers, the stadium expansion doesn't happen.
Sherman likely gets fired anyway, but Sumlin is probably at ASU or UCLA.
Charlie Strong is probably our current coach if we were in the Big 12.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
quote:
DAMN YOU DARK SIDE
Bruce Almighty
AG
How the hell did that end up on this thread? I wasn't even on it.
Flashdiaz
AG
quote:
and that would lead to hatred and suffering.
InnerCityAg
quote:

Are you trying to say Sumlin=Lando and Strong=Finn?
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Manziel needs to lay off the deathsticks.
COOL LASER FALCON
If ESPN doesn't get a huge ratings bump from Johnny, Disney may not be able to acquire Star Wars.
dave94
AG
quote:
If ESPN doesn't get a huge ratings bump from Johnny, Disney may not be able to acquire Star Wars.
The Collective
AG
So, Johnny brought balance to the force?
mazag08
AG
Just got two reserved tickets smack dab in the middle of the 3D XD theater at Cinemark in College Station for the December 18th, 10:30 PM showing. PLENTY of open seats.

If any of you want to wait until the second night, you might think about making the trek to the studentless CS.
The Collective
AG
What are the Cinemark XD 3D presentations like? I've never tried.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
The Collective
AG
On an actual SW note, I've always felt like Luke & Leia collectively bring balance to the force. It's not necessarily a light/dark thing. Don't feel like typing a paragraph right now, so I'll leave it at that.
jr15aggie
AG
We would have loved the trailer anyway... But the music makes it have an emotiona cconnection as well. John Williams is a genius, but let's give credit to the people that cut that trailer and the music to go with it. All around pro job and students of film should study it.

Regarding Leia, I think its fairly certain she was not combat trained, but she is sensitive to the force obviously. I personally think it would be awesome if she is very passive / diplomatic in the new movies, but at some point she is forced into a very critical situation and she lashes out with a really powerful force push that she didn't even know she had.
AliasMan02
AG
I imagine Leia keeps being Vader's daughter under wraps. Might keep being Luke's sister under wraps, as well, if his self imposed exile stems from him doing something terrifying.
AcctAg11
AG
quote:
So, Johnny brought balance to the force?
I think this Hot Reelz from the TAILGATE today will answer that:

Start at 3:17 if you dont want to remember what happened on Saturday.
mazag08
AG
I know its been said a million times, but I didn't see the trailer until about an hour ago..

The slowed down music gets me every time.
Flashdiaz
AG
quote:
I imagine Leia keeps being Vader's daughter under wraps. Might keep being Luke's sister under wraps, as well, if his self imposed exile stems from him doing something terrifying.
interesting. I would think that Vader being her father would be politically disastrous as a leader of the new republic (or whatever happens after Return of the Jedi).

There's probably stories being told of the events that had happened by rebels but those are probably not widely accepted. I'm sure the Empire stated that the Emperor died when terrorists blew up the death star and vader died in a related attack on Endor. No mention of the Luke, Leia and Vader connection.
amercer
AG
Other than the emperor and vader, no one else in the empire would have any idea that vader even had kids. Not sure anyone still living besides Han on the rebel side would know it either.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
It would be an awesome reveal if Leia were to reveal her lineage to the new kids not by telling them, but by maybe displaying a bit of force knowledge. Maybe lifting something, or something cooler.
amercer
AG
Everyone assumes one or more of the young characters are Luke or Han/Leias kids. I don't see that as a first movie reveal.

Maybe I'm wrong (and the spoiler people might already know) but that seems like a movie two twist.
First Page Last Page
Page 223 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.