Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,859,065 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 3 hrs ago by TCTTS
BillOnCapitolHill
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The same thing could be said about bens deception with the troopers, lukes "negotiation" with jabba, quigons cheating the dice, etc etc.

Why cant anakin learn jedi healing? My god they are putting him on the council. He is one of the strongest they have ever seen, surely Jedi House can teach him a few tricks.

Why couldnt portman go to jedi healer when she is sick by herself? Do the benevolent jedi refuse dying people?
BillOnCapitolHill
Oh shtt. I completely forgot about Luke sith choking the gamorrean guards as he entered jabbas palace.
BillOnCapitolHill
They didnt even pose a threat, just hold on sir let me get my boss, and he kills em. Two scenes later: BOOM! Youre a jedi knight! Clearly a guardian for justice in the galaxy.
mazag08
AG
Two things..

1. I think the girl who plays "hit girl" from kick ass would make a great character in this universe.

2. Can we have battle scenes like this please?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adZR-Pp_JO0
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
Oh shtt. I completely forgot about Luke sith choking the gamorrean guards as he entered jabbas palace.

He had very little "Jedi training" at that point, he probably didn't know he was using the dark side at the moment.
redline248
AG
quote:
I completely forgot about Luke sith choking the gamorrean guards as he entered jabbas palace

Luke wasn't exactly the shining pinnacle of the Jedi at this point in his development.
redline248
AG
No, I think he knew what was going on, Brian.
Ulrich
Bill has been reading some of the crappy far future EU books playing with moral relativism, or at least he's copying the arguments.
BillOnCapitolHill
quote:
quote:

He had very little "Jedi training" at that point, he probably didn't know he was using the dark side at the moment.

That is not true, yoda says his training is complete.

And it's not moral relativism showing duplicitous jedi.
BillOnCapitolHill
quote:
Bill has been reading some of the crappy far future EU books playing with moral relativism, or at least he's copying the arguments.

The only EU I have really brought into the discussion was the Jedi Academy series where Luke is in his 40s. It seems relevant to this thread.
jeffk
AG
quote:
They didnt even pose a threat, just hold on sir let me get my boss, and he kills em. Two scenes later: BOOM! Youre a jedi knight! Clearly a guardian for justice in the galaxy.

They were obviously trying to get him to take one of those consumer surveys. Everyone hates those things.
fig96
AG
quote:
Luke wasn't exactly the shining pinnacle of the Jedi at this point in his development.

I believe it was sometime during the making of the prequels that Lucas mentions we've never seen fully developed Jedi in their prime, all we'd seen to that point were old men and young kids who didn't really understand everything.

That being said, uneven application and use of the force is what bothers me most about the Star Wars films and the prequels in general. If you can move things around with your mind and leap giant distances to land with pinpoint accuracy, randomly losing your balance and falling should generally be a non-issue.
Simplebay
AG
brents1975
I looked through all 17 pages so hopefully the thread police will approve of this message. But for those wondering:

LOS ANGELES – March 20, 2014 – IMAX Corporation (NYSE:IMAX; TSX:IMX) and The Walt Disney Studios, a division of The Walt Disney Company (NYSE: DIS), today announced an agreement to release several of Disney’s upcoming films in IMAX® theatres under an extension of the companies’ long-running relationship.

Under the agreement, IMAX will be part of Disney’s release strategy for its most highly-anticipated live-action tentpole films, including Marvel’s Captain America: The Winter Soldier (April 2014), Maleficent (May 2014), Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy (August 2014), and Marvel’s Avengers: Age of Ultron (May 2015), Tomorrowland (May 2015) and Star Wars: Episode VII (December 2015).

star wars

“Disney has enjoyed a terrific ongoing collaboration with IMAX, and we are thrilled to extend this relationship with a collection of exciting, highly anticipated cinematic events that are perfect for the immersive IMAX format,” said Alan Bergman, President, The Walt Disney Studios.

“For the last several years, Disney and IMAX have worked together to deliver extraordinary cinematic experiences to audiences around the world,” said IMAX CEO Richard L. Gelfond. “The combination of the great product being created by Disney and the overwhelming enthusiasm of moviegoers to see films in IMAX theatres makes this agreement really exciting.”

“Disney’s and Marvel’s larger-than-life characters and dynamic universes clearly resonate with our core audiences,” said Greg Foster, Senior Executive Vice President of IMAX Corp. and CEO of IMAX Entertainment. “We are delighted to build upon this longtime association and continue to collaborate to bring many of the most iconic and cutting-edge properties in the world to life in the most immersive way possible.”
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
It's actually Rick Mcallum who mentions about us never seeing a Jedi in his prime in a tantalizing preview of Episode I that came on the CD-ROM (god, I'm old) entitled Star Wars: Behind the Magic.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Late 90's interactive CD-ROMs.
BillOnCapitolHill

[This message has been edited by BillOnCapitolHill (edited 3/21/2014 11:22a).]
redline248
AG
It's well known that Luke was teetering b/w light and dark during most of Return of the Jedi.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Yeah, good point. Probably wanted to make it dramatic, make the audience think he might turn at the end.
jeffk
AG
quote:

RIP

Died too young.
InnerCityAg
He killed Jabbas pet who was just hungry.

He also killed everyone on the first Death Star. There were probably some really good people on there.
fig96
AG
Good catch on the quote, I stand corrected.

Any of you mid-90s Ags remember McCallum's talk at Rudder? I'm not making that up in my head, right?

[This message has been edited by fig96 (edited 3/21/2014 2:31p).]
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
i was there 92-96 and dont remember mccallum there, i surely would have gone.

saw robert rodriguez at rudder once. that was cool
LeonardSkinner
Just thinking out loud...

Billy Dee Williams is on Dancing With the Stars, and looks pretty bad, to be honest. Is this an audition for the chance to be in episode VII, or to have a larger role?
redline248
AG
Part of a contract to be in the new star wars could have been a stint on Dancing
israeliag
AG
quote:
and looks pretty bad, to be honest. Is this an audition for the chance to be in episode VII, or to have a larger role?

Maybe it was some kind of weird workout-regiment-middle ground that both sides agreed on.
fig96
AG
quote:
i was there 92-96 and dont remember mccallum there, i surely would have gone.

saw robert rodriguez at rudder once. that was cool

I was in the ballpark but wrong guy. It was Lucas exec Howard Roffman and Steve Sansweet, former head of Fan Relations for Lucasfilm.

Only reference I can find is this one from a book I've never heard of.
TCTTS
AG
Filming begins May 14 in Morocco...

http://badassdigest.com/2014/04/01/episode-vii-shoots-april-14th-in-morocco/

... which almost assuredly means a return to Tatooine.

Still can't believe a new Star Wars movie shoots exactly six weeks from tomorrow.

[This message has been edited by TCTTS (edited 4/1/2014 5:55p).]
TCTTS
AG
Also still can't believe a single cast member hasn't been announced yet. Surely there will be some kind of announcement in the next couple of weeks...
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Whoop for Tatooine!
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
Also still can't believe a single cast member hasn't been announced yet. Surely there will be some kind of announcement in the next couple of weeks...

Yep, pretty unbelievable. Not understanding how the process of filming works, is it possible they are filming scenes for scenery shots or back ground shots to use later on blue screens so that filming can begin but still have some time to announce the cast?
TCTTS
AG
^ Doubtful. They're shooting on location as much as possible this go-around. And even if they did shoot that stuff in advance, it wouldn't speed up the process any. Backgrounds and all that are usually shot by a second-unit while the main unit is doing their thing, anyway.

I actually think they've probably already cast the vast majority of the movie. I'd even bet that most of the bigger roles have already been in training for lightsaber fights and what not. They probably have one or two secondary roles left to cast, and are waiting to announce the entire cast all at once. Maybe Disney is waiting 'til after Captain America debuts this weekend?

[This message has been edited by TCTTS (edited 4/1/2014 8:10p).]
israeliag
AG
^ I know JJ Abrams is pretty serative, but with a project this big and hot wouldn't we have some credible leaks by now? (I guess there's the one about the villain)
TCTTS
AG
Not if they're prepping/training in London (which is where the production is based). Plus, the smaller the name, the easier it is to keep under wraps. I'm not saying it's definite, but a lot of in-the-know people seem to think there's been a lot more going on behind the scenes than is being let on.

I mean, we KNOW there will obviously be light saber duels in the movie, and we know those take weeks to train for. So something has to be going on as we speak...
redline248
AG
It's actually pretty impressive that so little (or nothing) has leaked. With everyone in the world holding a camera + Twitter account...
First Page Last Page
Page 17 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.