Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,859,995 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 8 hrs ago by TCTTS
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
Yesterday at Disney's biannual fan convention D23 Expo 2015, during which the company announced the creation of two Star Wars-themed parks, The Force Awakensdirector J.J. Abrams spoke about going to composer John Williams' house and hearing the music for the first time:

"He played me on the piano music he was going to conduct. It was like hearing music from the gods."
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Also, it just came to my attention that we are exactly four months out from release day.

Four months, folks!
TCTTS
AG
So close, yet so far away...
jr15aggie
AG
quote:
So close, yet so far away...
How far away... like a galaxy far... far... away.

Ehhhhh.... *sigh*.... jokes are getting bad... release the friggin movie already!!!
AliasMan02
AG
Part of Disney's blitz with the movie. These were leaked and Disney is PISSED, but what's out there on the Internet is out there forever! A new core set/expansion of the X-Wing miniatures game. New molds for the T-70 X-Wing. The copy speaks strictly of the First Order and Resistance.

TCTTS
AG
That copy sounds a lot like an opening crawl...
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
That sounds exactly like a SW opening crawl. Might it be straight from the movie?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Damn it TC. Beat me to it.
TCTTS
AG
Honestly, I think it's a little too short to be the exact one, but I bet it's pretty damn close.
twilly
AG
Even if it was the crawl, with 4 months to go, they could certainly change it.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Has anyone read How Star Wars Conquered The Universe? Worth the read?
TCTTS
AG
Bought it a couple months back but was saving it 'til the fall. Come September, I was going to read that, a couple of the new canon books, and then rewatch the original trilogy over the next two or three months. Just immerse myself in all things Star Wars in the lead up to the movie.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Reads more like a scrawl for an Xwing Movie before Episode IV
AliasMan02
AG
I'm in the same boat. Just started reading new comics last night. Really enjoying diving hard into the universe.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Got the e-book last night and am a chapter in. Can already tell this is a gonna be a great read.
Infected Nation
This is a really good article that shows how the original trilogy and prequel trilogy are connected through a literary device called "Ring Theory". I thought it was fascinating, and it gave me a new perspective and appreciation of the prequel trilogy.

It's a very long article/essay, but I recommend any hard core Star Wars fan give it a shot.

http://www.starwarsringtheory.com/ring-composition-chiasmus-hidden-artistry-star-wars-prequels/

Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Good read so far, as it echoes what I have always thought of the Star Wars movies. But you know there are folks on here who will belittle you for daring to post an article that goes against the collective. That the prequels are the worst movies ever, well except maybe for Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, and that George Lucas sucks.
Saxsoon
AG
That was a fantastic article. Lots to think about.
TCTTS
AG
I don't care how intricately the prequels may or may not mirror the OT. Fact of the matter is, above anything else, a movie should be entertaining and engaging on its own merit. "Ring Theory" only tells me that Lucas potentially spent way too much time focused on parallel/coinciding mumbo jumbo for no other purpose than the novelty of it. It's almost masterbatory in a way. I would have much rather had competent, entertaining movies with streamlined, propulsive plots and not horrible acting.
Saxsoon
AG
I don't see it as masturbatory at all, but whatever. It helped make me appreciate some things about the prequels. I also always hated when people said you can drop phantom menace, because despite its flaws. I found that an enjoyable movie (minus a few things) and I think that article made some good points about its importance.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
I feel like making up a ridiculous rumor about the upcoming movies before this thread veers off into Prequel Wars for 8 pages.

Hey, you guys see that Melissa McCarthy is up for the part of young Jabba in the Han Solo anthology?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
And there it is.
Duncan Idaho
quote:
This is a really good article that shows how the original trilogy and prequel trilogy are connected through a literary device called "Ring Theory". I thought it was fascinating, and it gave me a new perspective and appreciation of the prequel trilogy.

It's a very long article/essay, but I recommend any hard core Star Wars fan give it a shot.

http://www.starwarsringtheory.com/ring-composition-chiasmus-hidden-artistry-star-wars-prequels/

And I thought the posters on the politics board were delusional goal tenders.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Nothing delusional about that article. Watch the documentary on the making of Phantom Menace. Even if you hate the movie itself, the documentary is pretty interesting and very well done.

Lucas talks about what he's trying to do with the new trilogy, and he mentions this composition. "It's like poetry, it rhymes." Regardless of whether you think it worked or not, this was intended from day one.

Now let's move on before TC blows a gasket.
Duncan Idaho
By day one, you mean day of working on the prequels? Or do you mean you still believe the nonsense that it was all originally planned as some 6 or 9 episode epic from the start?

One supports tctts position. The other is the delusions of a crazy man
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Yes, the prequels.
Saxsoon
AG
Malachi Constant
AG
Throughout my life I have heard people all the time talk about how "I could have done a better job than that!" and there are two instances in which I truly feel I could have done a better job:

1. 2002 Football game vs. Texas Tech - our FG kicker missed TWO Extra points. I can say honestly that I could have gone down there and done a better job. I kicked extra points in high school football.

2. The story for the prequel trilogy. I am a complete amateur writer, I've never had anything published, but I could have done a better job than what we got.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Regarding the "final shots", this is the best one of the series, IMHO.

This is one particular case where I think the callback to the OT was a grand slam.
amercer
AG
The prequels are movie Ebola. The new movies will relegate them to Timothy Dalton Bond territory.
Saxsoon
AG
quote:
Throughout my life I have heard people all the time talk about how "I could have done a better job than that!" and there are two instances in which I truly feel I could have done a better job:

1. 2002 Football game vs. Texas Tech - our FG kicker missed TWO Extra points. I can say honestly that I could have gone down there and done a better job. I kicked extra points in high school football.

2. The story for the prequel trilogy. I am a complete amateur writer, I've never had anything published, but I could have done a better job than what we got.

You would not have hth
jabberwalkie09
AG
ROTS was the best film of the PT, no question.
Infected Nation
quote:
Good read so far, as it echoes what I have always thought of the Star Wars movies. But you know there are folks on here who will belittle you for daring to post an article that goes against the collective. That the prequels are the worst movies ever, well except maybe for Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, and that George Lucas sucks.

I knew I was going to get blasted for it. I still think that the prequel trilogy has tons of flaws, but as I said in my post, this article gives a different perspective. I wish the prequel trilogy was as good as the original. But it's not, and that's not going to change. So I am not going to waste my time *****ing and moaning about something I can't control. This article helped me get a little more joy out of the prequels. If it helps somebody else, terrific.

I didn't meant to derail this into a prequel trash fest, but I thought this was the best thread to post the link.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
About halfway through the article.

Actually very well written and thought out. Had never noticed how closely Phantom Menace follows Jedi.

Even the music at the end of both is the same, just played in different tempos and styles. (Parade music at the end of TPM is the Emperors Theme.)
First Page Last Page
Page 162 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.