Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,859,578 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 6 hrs ago by TCTTS
Ulrich
How long do you want to ignore this user?
quote:
I always considered that Palpatine/Sidious was the "father" of Anakin. The dark side of the force is a pathway to many abilities. He talked about influencing the midichlorians to create life in EpIII.

In the EU, it's Plagueis's (Sidious's master) manipulations of the Force that cause Anakin to be born.

Personally, I don't think there needs to be an explanation.

EDIT: oops, forgot that I left this window open for a couple hours before hitting reply.

[This message has been edited by Ulrich (edited 3/18/2014 11:48a).]
redline248
AG
quote:
Most important question - who plays Han and Leia's daughter? Do you have anyone in mind or have some general descriptive ideas? Who is the Natalie Portman of 2014?

I don't know about that, but maybe JJ can convince Kate Upton into a couple scenes as a scantily clad Twilek dancer

[This message has been edited by redline248 (edited 3/18/2014 11:52a).]
Buck Compton
AG
quote:
Highly skeptical of Mark Hamill carrying the movie though.
Agreed on this. I don't think any of the old actors can. I think they all need to be in an auxiliary role for this movie to be better than the prequels. At least two of them (probably Han and Leia) shouldn't carry over to the 8th and 9th. I think they should be there, but you can accomplish a lot more from Hand and Leia's death than you can be keeping them around for 3 movies. I think you can keep Luke for 2 movies, but it has to be done right, and the younger actors have to be the clear protagonists.

I personally don't like the idea of a Dumbledore-esque Luke in the dark-side dabbles, but I do in that he is not the focus of the movies, especially early on. He is kind of a mystical figure that they discover more and more about even after he is dead. Actually, ESPECIALLY after he is dead. Some of the same things can happen with Luke. I think that is why the new characters shouldn't be directly related to any of the 3. It would allow them to discover Luke/Luke's past 30 years over the course of the movie as they are trying to accomplish whatever their goal is. I definitely don't think Luke should have kids. Han and Leia having a kid that is a protagonist is fine, especially if Luke has been a Hermit, etc. because then Luke will still be mysterious. I still haven't decided if I want a new Jedi Academy to be already up and running or if that only happens as a result of some emergence of evil in the first one.

What I hope they avoid is ruining all mystery by having everyone still friends and have kept up with each other the past 30 years. The only way they can get away with that, IMO, is killing off some of these familiar characters early. That way the movie is still about the new adventure/plot lines. If you fall into the trap of Luke having the Jedi Academy (even a small one) running over the past years, etc. you have to try a lot harder to make the story less about him/that and more about the new characters and their adventure.
redline248
AG
I really don't expect Hamill to have any larger role than Nimoy in the new Trek movies. Maybe just a bit more on-screen time, but about the same.
TCTTS
AG
At last, a tiny morsel of concrete news. It ain't much, but it's something...

- Episode VII takes place 30 years after Return of the Jedi
- It "will star a trio of new young leads along with some very familiar faces."

http://badassdigest.com/2014/03/18/star-wars-episode-vii-still-shooting-in-may-set-30-years-after-jedi

[This message has been edited by TCTTS (edited 3/18/2014 1:37p).]
TCTTS
AG
quote:
I really don't expect Hamill to have any larger role than Nimoy in the new Trek movies. Maybe just a bit more on-screen time, but about the same.

Both Hamill and Fisher are apparently set to film for a relatively significant amount of time. Not to mention, we know Abrams went back and bulked up their roles. That's what the whole issue was when he and Lawrence Kasdan took over screenwriting duties.
Aggie_Journalist
AG
quote:
Both Hamill and Fisher are apparently set to film for a relatively significant amount of time. Not to mention, we know Abrams went back and bulked up their roles. That's what the whole issue was when he and Lawrence Kasdan took over screenwriting duties.

Very interesting. I had expected Luke, R2D2 and C3PO to get pretty decent face time among the old cast. I wonder what a beefed up role for Leia, but not Han, means.

If we go with the 'they both die' idea, might she show up in flash backs or as a force ghost? Hopefully not another force ghost.

I hope it just means she's a major politician and therefore gets a lot of face time discussing the new threat at tactical meetings back home, trying to hold the republic together / rally it against whatever's coming.
redline248
AG
In story time, 30 years after Jedi would put Luke around 55 or 60, right? How old is Hamill?
Saxsoon
AG
Wasn't Luke a teen in New Hope, he should be 47-48. He may have gotten the Obi-Wan (Alec Guiness) treatment
Red Five
AG
19 in A New Hope, 23 in RotJ. That would put him at 53 if this is 30 years post RotJ.
Red Five
AG
dp

[This message has been edited by Red Five (edited 3/18/2014 2:02p).]
Ulrich
Luke is ~19 in IV and ~22 in VI, so he would be 52 in VII. He's 62 in real life. Between makeup and living a hard life, they can make that work.

[This message has been edited by Ulrich (edited 3/18/2014 2:03p).]
brents1975

[This message has been edited by brents1975 (edited 3/18/2014 11:01p).]
brents1975

[This message has been edited by brents1975 (edited 3/18/2014 11:00p).]
Simplebay
AG
30 yearsss eh?

TCTTS
AG
Do people even read previous posts before posting anymore?
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Just heard from my secret source that "It will star a trio of new young leads along with some very familiar faces."
BillOnCapitolHill
quote:
Do people even read previous posts before posting anymore?

There are 15 pages, Im am only reading a page back to find out what is being discussed.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
JJ Abrams is directing.
TCTTS
AG
quote:
There are 15 pages, Im am only reading a page back to find out what is being discussed.

Was referring to the news I posted on this page, which a couple people repeat-posted just below it. And have since been deleted, it looks like.
Farmer1906
AG
quote:
At last, a tiny morsel of concrete news. It ain't much, but it's something...

- Episode VII takes place 30 years after Return of the Jedi
- It "will star a trio of new young leads along with some very familiar faces."

http://badassdigest.com/2014/03/18/star-wars-episode-vii-still-shooting-in-may-set-30-years-after-jedi

[This message has been edited by TCTTS (edited 3/18/2014 1:37p).]

Doesn't look deleted to me.
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
Agreed on this. I don't think any of the old actors can. I think they all need to be in an auxiliary role for this movie to be better than the prequels. At least two of them (probably Han and Leia) shouldn't carry over to the 8th and 9th. I think they should be there, but you can accomplish a lot more from Hand and Leia's death than you can be keeping them around for 3 movies. I think you can keep Luke for 2 movies, but it has to be done right, and the younger actors have to be the clear protagonists.

I personally don't like the idea of a Dumbledore-esque Luke in the dark-side dabbles, but I do in that he is not the focus of the movies, especially early on. He is kind of a mystical figure that they discover more and more about even after he is dead. Actually, ESPECIALLY after he is dead. Some of the same things can happen with Luke. I think that is why the new characters shouldn't be directly related to any of the 3. It would allow them to discover Luke/Luke's past 30 years over the course of the movie as they are trying to accomplish whatever their goal is. I definitely don't think Luke should have kids. Han and Leia having a kid that is a protagonist is fine, especially if Luke has been a Hermit, etc. because then Luke will still be mysterious. I still haven't decided if I want a new Jedi Academy to be already up and running or if that only happens as a result of some emergence of evil in the first one.

What I hope they avoid is ruining all mystery by having everyone still friends and have kept up with each other the past 30 years. The only way they can get away with that, IMO, is killing off some of these familiar characters early. That way the movie is still about the new adventure/plot lines. If you fall into the trap of Luke having the Jedi Academy (even a small one) running over the past years, etc. you have to try a lot harder to make the story less about him/that and more about the new characters and their adventure.

I didn't catch the Dumbledore thing. HP stole enough from SW that maybe it's time to return the favor.

I agree that Hamill carrying the movie would be a stretch. In my pitch, I think you could actually have Luke go into his imprisonment pretty early. In that case, his role would mostly be a Hannibal-type role, but in reverse; the villain coming to the hero for assistance. His old friend/new nemesis visiting him in his cell a few times through the film, needing something that Luke has. Some bit of information about his students, or a bit of knowledge of the future that he has seen.

I had thought of an angle where Luke is a Paul Atreides type, knowing the future and trying to change it or protect people from it, but I think that gets messy too easily. Not that JJ (or Star Wars) has a problem with plot holes, but prescience is a tricky narrative element.

Just in the back of my mind, I do have this thought: Isn't Hamill exactly the type of guy, and this the exact type of role, that has the potential for an out-of-nowhere outstanding performance? I'm not sure that JJ is the guy to get that out of an actor, though.
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
Most important question - who plays Han and Leia's daughter? Do you have anyone in mind or have some general descriptive ideas? Who is the Natalie Portman of 2014?

If it's my movie, my first call is to 17-year-old Hailee Steinfeld.

quote:
I don't know about that, but maybe JJ can convince Kate Upton into a couple scenes as a scantily clad Twilek dancer

I don't know what about JJ's history would suggest that this is NOT a possibility. I actually think it would be a pretty good pop culture cameo and homage. If you were going to include this sort of thing, why not book the most perfect female body on the planet, who also happens to be very bookable. She does ads for Hardees, for God's sake.
PatAg
AG
most perfect body?
AliasMan02
AG
Kate Upton? Yes. At least in contention.
TCTTS
AG
quote:
Doesn't look deleted to me.

Was referring to the repeated posts after it.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Alec Guiness was 61-62 years old when they filmed A New Hope and he had 2 "fight" scenes - the one with Vader and cutting Ponda Baba's arm off in the cantina.

I think you guys are really selling Mark Hamill short. I really hope he has a fight. The theater will erupt when he ignites his saber, probably even more so than when Yoda did likewise in AOTC.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I agree. He still looks pretty spry, plus he's lost weight recently.
fig96
AG
Not sure if it was posted somewhere earlier in this thread, but this image by artist Phil Noto really grabbed me. It just nails the right feel and made me really want to see an older Luke in the new trilogy:

jr15aggie
AG
quote:
I think you guys are really selling Mark Hamill short. I really hope he has a fight. The theater will erupt when he ignites his saber, probably even more so than when Yoda did likewise in AOTC.

JJ will be burned in the parking lot if Luke Skywalker doesn't get some lightsaber action in Episode VII!!! For pretty much everybody 30 years and older, it is THE reason we've wanted a sequel.
benMath08
AG
We know he was doing some extra fitness training to prep for the movie, depending on how intense that was (I imagine very) he could certainly pull off some decent fight scenes. Besides, his main power should be the force anyways, we don't need to see him do fifty backflips across the room *cough*yoda*cough*
BillOnCapitolHill
cone
AG
Mark Hamill is such greatness.

[This message has been edited by SuperDave03 (edited 3/19/2014 11:15a).]
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
I envision Luke appearing similar to how they bring back Flynn in Tron Legacy when all the youngsters are fighting in the club to Daft Punk and he appears and it's obvious he's way, way way out of anyone else's league and doesn't even fight the same way.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=yY5ecnUA5dc

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Totally hope Luke makes that type of entrance.

I envision a lightsaber battle between two young fighters, and suddenly a massive force bomb of some sort going off, knocking both of them down. Cut to a cloaked figure in the shadows, and out steps a bearded Luke in full Jedi regalia.

Pretty sure every theater would erupt line a bunch of Japanese schoolgirls.
First Page Last Page
Page 15 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.