Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,858,603 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by TCTTS
Max Power
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I think the scene with Simon Pegg pretty much sums it up for me. Created some films I truly love, is the current Scottie on Star Trek, and it looks like the most exciting thing he's ever done is get in a costume and sweat his ass off all to be in Star Wars.

Plus, that score. I don't know if there is any other music on the planet that I associate with my childhood, it makes me so happy. So excited for this.
ChipFTAC01
AG
Looking at that comic book makes me think about how much more I'd rather see a Chewbacca movie than a Han Solo movie. One of the great sidekicks in movie history.
Mr. White
I'd love to know what Ford was thinking when he sat in that pilot's chair.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
quote:
I'd love to know what Ford was thinking when he sat in that pilot's chair.
Can't crash this one.
joemeister
AG
The look on his face said "I'm too old for this ****."
Texas Ag 15
AG
Been telling people the same thing ever since it was announced they were making it. People seem to forget how crazy people went over Revenge of the Sith. This movie reaches the older generation who grew up with the movies then my generation who watched it with their parents and then the younger kids just getting introduced to the movies. I'd bet all the money this will be highest grossing movie of all time.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
quote:
It's not the years honey, it's the mileage.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
quote:
Finally watched just a bit ago. Goosebumps.

Urban Ag and I are the same age, and my genuine earliest memory is watching Star Wars from the back of a really ugly station wagon sometime in the summer of 1977. I had to cover my eyes when Obi Wan pulled out his lightsaber in the cantina.

I've got a nephew who's 2 1/2 now, and the idea that his dad and I can share this with him in a year or two, and that dads and kids all over the world will be doing the same thing, is truly magical.

I'm 41 as well. And as I've posted before, saw Star Wars with my dad and brother in 1977. We've been to all 6 together, and are already anticipating TFA in December. I have twin daughters who are the same age now that I was in 1977, and despite their mom's best attempts to forestall it, they already know their R2D2, their Luke, their Yoda, and their Chewbacca.
Farmer1906
AG
quote:
quote:
It's not the years honey, it's the mileage.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
To all you older folks.

Atreides Ornithopter
AG
quote:
BRYAN BISHOP 6:13:15 PM PDT

"We didn't write the character of Finn to be any color. We didn't write the character of Rey to be any color."
does this actually have an implication? the Rey comment
Saxsoon
AG
It could mean no relation to Han and leia
AliasMan02
AG
Finished Heir to the Jedi today and it ends stronger than it starts. It's still very average, but there are some neat moments with Luke and his discovery of the Force, and the dangers of trying to do it on your own.

One of the quotes from yesterday rings true in regards to the book. I think it was JJ that talked about not just being a fan, and how the movie can't be good just because it has the Falcon in it, and callbacks to the original trilogy. HttJ is FULL of those, for no reason other than to have them it really detracts. It also has the most eye rolling, groanworthy math joke of all time.

I've started Lords of the Sith. I almost didn't pick it up because it sounds kinda lame, but even 30 pages in, the writing is MUCH better and it is pretty compelling. Has some good stuff in there for Clone Wars fans as a bonus.
joemeister
AG
I finished HttJ not too long ago. It would rate way down the list against the older EU stuff.

** Spoiler Alert **

The way they killed Luke's new girl friend was ridiculous. It was almost like, well, this is before ESB and RotJ so Luke can't really have a love interest, here's a random grenade to the face.

If that had been older EU, no way she would have died. They would have given her the Bria treatment and had her disappear mysteriously and reappear again after RotJ in the clutches of a Hutt Lord or something. I thought she was a cool character and probably the best part of the book.
AliasMan02
AG
*** spoiler ***

Yeah, I figured from the beginning that she was either an Imperial, or was doomed. Pretty quickly the former was ruled out, so it was just a ticking clock.

Sith Lords has been much much better (reading on a road trip).
joemeister
AG
If you haven't read Tarkin yet, I would recommend it. I found it to be much better than the other two New-EU books I've read (HttJ and A New Dawn).
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
If you haven't read Tarkin yet, I would recommend it. I found it to be much better than the other two New-EU books I've read (HttJ and A New Dawn).

I'll probably end up reading them all in preparation for the next phase.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
quote:

I'll probably end up reading them all in preparation for the next phase.
FWIW, A New Dawn is a bit of a prequel to Star Wars Rebels and as such is builds on the canon because it has how Kanan and Hera met in it.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
My almost-2 year old's 2nd favorite stuffed doll is her 'Bacca (Bacca, Bacca, Bacca - because she repeats everything 91 times)...

She is hooked on Frozen and all things Disney, but as soon as she starts comprehending movies... she's watching Star Wars age 3-5 I think.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Is the Force treated the same way in the New Canon (NC) books as the Old Expanded Universe (OEU)? I didn't like some of the stuff they introduced in the OEU, "the Current", and some of that stuff was ... meh.

Just so long as they treat the Force in the NC and build on most of the core principles established in the OEU I will be happy to read them... I have been on Star Wars novel sabbatical for about 3-4 years now... it's about time to get back into it.
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
Is the Force treated the same way in the New Canon (NC) books as the Old Expanded Universe (OEU)? I didn't like some of the stuff they introduced in the OEU, "the Current", and some of that stuff was ... meh.

Just so long as they treat the Force in the NC and build on most of the core principles established in the OEU I will be happy to read them... I have been on Star Wars novel sabbatical for about 3-4 years now... it's about time to get back into it.

HttJ talks about this some, and it is very grounded as an "energy field." It behaves and is manipulated like an energy field should be. Sith Lords is on that same track.

Really the wild card is the mystical "living force" stuff from the Clone Wars, and how that might carry forward. I didn't care for it.

Also, what the "awakening" is.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Full panel is up on youtube.
Ulrich
Just watched the behind the scenes teaser. It was PERFECT. I especially like they way they ended with a strain music...

"you remember all the perfect awesome stuff you just saw? The practical effects, the excited actors from the original to the newbies 20 years old, the crazy characters? Well, on top of all that we've got John f****** Williams scoring this thing. How great is this going to be?!"

Still watching the Comic Con panel, but I love how everyone is so excited to be a part of it. There's no Hollywood "this is just another role, just collecting a paycheck even though I'm slightly embarrassed to be in a space opera." I love that they love it.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Having gone through 140ish pages of this thread with you guys, I'm going to go ahead and admit that a minute ago when I was watching the full panel video from comic con, and Harrison Ford came out and sat next to Mark Hamill, I teared up.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Crybaby
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I didn't tear up, but I definitely got emotional about the fact that all three of them were up there, talking about a new Star Wars movie.

I'll probably be a mess at the movie.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
This is pretty great too.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Not that she looks bad, but is Carrie's face stuck in permanent duck-face now?
jr15aggie
AG
quote:
Not that she looks bad, but is Carrie's face stuck in permanent duck-face now?
Your first statement was wrong... she just looks bad! She's in her late 50s and looks no younger than the guy in his 70's on the end. Listening to her gives every indication the drugs caught up to her in more than one way.

But I know she put on a good show when the cameras were rolling.
Farmer1906
AG
quote:
no younger than the guy in his 70's on the end.
Not a fair comparison. Ford just looks awesome at any age.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Well, she looked a hell of a lot worse a few years ago.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
This. And also, Hamill is really rocking that beard. Guy looks great.
Farmer1906
AG
She's got a little bit of a Hilary vibe to her.
COOL LASER FALCON
Biggest takeaway from that panel for me is that JJ Abrams is freaking hilarious. GO ASIANS. It was also good to see Harrison Ford engaged.
jr15aggie
AG
Speaking of Hamill... I found it really interesting that they had him doing the intro to that "trailer" we got. So far it seems like his role is limited in this movie as many early rumors suggested (such that "finding Luke" is a theme of the movie). Was a clever way to get him on screen for people to see, w/out showing any real footage from the movie that might spoil what his actual role is. I think most of us would rather not know exactly what's happening with Luke until we see it for ourselves!
First Page Last Page
Page 147 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.