Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,860,017 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 8 hrs ago by TCTTS
Texags is garbage
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Clone Wars cartoon hit Netflix yesterday!
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Nice.
RebAg13
brents1975
VORE!!!

This is Madness: Star Wars Character Tournament. Yoda won last year lol...

http://thisismadness.starwars.com

1. Wedge Antilles - meant to pick Porkins but I screwed up
2. Mace Windu - tough choice over Qui-Gon but figured Mace got taken out by the greater of the two Sith so he got the nod
3. General Veers - led the Imperial attack against the Rebel Base on Hoth. His AT-AT took out the power generator. Admiral Piet got strong consideration but in the end he was punked by Vader
4. Greedo - had the balls to try and claim the bounty on Solo... got punked by Han shooting first. AND HE DID SHOOT FIRST!

redline248
AG
There's a bunch of characters on there that most people might not know. Then again, those people will probably never find this bracket.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
The final will be Vader vs. Yoda, just like every other time this happens.
jabberwalkie09
AG
Finished watching the Clone Wars (marathoned the show). I have to say I actually enjoyed the show. Started off a little juvenile in nature, but got a little more mature as the series progressed and by the end, you certainly felt the darkness of Revenge of the Sith impending. Watching the series connected a lot of dots for me personally as I am not knowledgeable of the EU at all, and only the movies.
benMath08
AG
I just finished season 6 episode 5, not bad so far. I realized that the voice actor for Clovis also did the demon hunter in Diablo 3 (and apparently 500 other games as well, including minor characters in about 10 different star wars games).
fig96
AG
I'm in S4 right now and it's definitely gotten better as it's progressed.

Some of the animation during dialogue sequences is pretty bad, but the action sequences overall are really well done.
jabberwalkie09
AG
I will admit that I fast forwarded/skipped through/watched the beginning and end of the episodes that were Jar Jar Binks centric. I don't feel that those really added anything to the story other that to provide cheap humor, and I found them fairly hard to pay attention to.
TCTTS
AG
Hope it's ok to post non-Clone Wars news here, but it looks like the search for the Episode VII lead is officially down to five actors...

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/star-wars-4-1201125355/

[This message has been edited by TCTTS (edited 3/12/2014 5:33p).]
TCTTS
AG
I've only ever heard of three of those guys, and really don't have an opinion either way. The main take-away seems to be that if the race of the lead is interchangeable, that probably means he isn't Luke's son. Biologically, at least.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Seems they're fairly set in going the "unknown" route. (Or semi-unknown at least.)

Seems to be a Star Wars tradition at this point.
redline248
AG
Please not the dude from Eragon
redline248
AG
quote:
if the race of the lead is interchangeable, that probably means he isn't Luke's son

Wonders can be worked with CGI
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Maybe the black guy would be Mace Windu's ******* son.
fig96
AG
I've been meaning to watch Attack the Block for quite a while now, need to find it for rent somewhere.

quote:
I will admit that I fast forwarded/skipped through/watched the beginning and end of the episodes that were Jar Jar Binks centric. I don't feel that those really added anything to the story other that to provide cheap humor, and I found them fairly hard to pay attention to.

You aren't far off
benMath08
AG
Yea I've skipped some Jar Jar and Padme-centric Clone Wars episodes.
TCTTS
AG
quote:
Maybe the black guy would be Mace Windu's ******* son.

I will say it's weird that all three white guys look like they could definitely be Luke's son. Even the dark-haired guy, Matthew James Thomas, kind of has a Mark Hamil vibe (or maybe I'm just seeing things)...

Either way, knowing how second-hand and secretive all this info is, I'm wondering if the two black guys could potentially be up for a different character. And it'll be incredibly lame if that character is related to Mace Windu OR Lando Calrissian in any way...
redline248
AG
Lol, I'm telling you JJ is taking star wars back in time just like he did Trek
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Maybe Luke married him a sista?
jabberwalkie09
AG
God I hope that the red matter/rimbaldi device does not make an appearance in this movie like it did in the Star Trek reboot.... I am totally not into seeing any of that crap again. As for the news, meh. Still as cryptic as ever. I think that TCTTS is spot on with saying that they all look very similar to Mark Hamill.

As soon as real casting news is put out, everyone will go absolutely bonkers with the news if comment sections and forums (IMDB) are anything to go by.

@redline- I don't see how they could explain going back in time in the Star Wars universe like they did in the Star Trek universe. File this under the incredibly lame idea as well.

[This message has been edited by jabberwalkie09 (edited 3/12/2014 11:55p).]
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
And it'll be incredibly lame if that character is related to Lando Calrissian in any way...

They should do this and name him Colt.
ChipFTAC01
AG
quote:
And it'll be incredibly lame if that character is related to Mace Windu OR Lando Calrissian in any way...

While I agree with you, have we seen any other black guys in the galaxy?
ChipFTAC01
AG
Oh, there was Padme's security guard with the eyepatch.

As a side note, either that guy was a terrible, wooden actor, or Lucas' writing is so stiff its tough for normal actors to find any sort of rhythm with it.
redline248
AG
All about the directing
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
The guy with the eyepatch (Captain Typho) only came into play because Captain Panaka (Hugh Quarshie) wanted more money and a bigger role for Attack of the Clones, and Lucasfilm said, "Hey, how about instead, we write you out of the story in a novel, and make this guy your nephew? How's that sound, sport?"
TCTTS
AG
With only TWO MONTHS 'til filming, I still can't believe there hasn't been any official news yet. That seems insane to me.

Though, I keep thinking back to that old rumor a few months ago saying that some kind of special "announcement trailer" might be attached to Captain America: The Winter Soldier. With only three weeks 'til that movie hits, I wonder if there might have actually been any truth to that? Announce the cast that week, then slap some kind of one-minute, specially-shot teaser with Mark Hamill and watch the world explode...
redline248
AG
Just finished the Clone Wars cartoon. Awesome that Hamill was able to contribute his voice (don't want to spoil).

How long ago was that final season filmed/rendered/whatever term fits for cgi? I wonder how much of it will fit into the new movies (or tv show).
fig96
AG
The last season of Clone Wars was brand new for Netflix, so created sometime in the last year. Season 5 aired in fall of 2012.
redline248
AG
So we have to assume Disney/Lucas both signed off on the story. I think that means rule out new villain as Vader or Palpatine apprentice, personally.
LeonardSkinner
quote:
With only TWO MONTHS 'til filming, I still can't believe there hasn't been any official news yet. That seems insane to me.

Though, I keep thinking back to that old rumor a few months ago saying that some kind of special "announcement trailer" might be attached to Captain America: The Winter Soldier. With only three weeks 'til that movie hits, I wonder if there might have actually been any truth to that? Announce the cast that week, then slap some kind of one-minute, specially-shot teaser with Mark Hamill and watch the world explode...

I feel like we may have known a little bit more about the movie, but the way you phrased that reminds me of when we first saw the Star Trek (reboot) teaser, when we're watching the Enterprise being built and Spock reciting the famous lines.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
Announce the cast that week, then slap some kind of one-minute, specially-shot teaser with Mark Hamill and watch the world explode...

That would be like pouring gas on a fire.

[This message has been edited by jabberwalkie09 (edited 3/13/2014 8:52p).]
TCTTS
AG
quote:
I feel like we may have known a little bit more about the movie, but the way you phrased that reminds me of when we first saw the Star Trek (reboot) teaser, when we're watching the Enterprise being built and Spock reciting the famous lines.

Exactly. And yeah, we obviously knew more about the movie and knew that the teaser was coming, maybe a couple weeks before it debuted. For Super 8, though, Abrams released a teaser - unannounced - before filming even began. Before anyone had ever even heard of the movie.

Point is, Abrams LOVES not only teasers, but surprise teasers as well. Shot specifically for marketing purposes, outside of regular filming. The difference here is that it's Disney calling the shots, and they will no doubt have final say when it comes to the marketing/announcement rollout.

I see three potential scenarios:

1) Because the cast needs to be announced soon regardless, and Disney will want to make a huge splash, they not only make some kind of big cast announcement, but time it with a custom-shot teaser of some sort and attach it with Captain American: The Winter Soldier (another Disney movie) in three weeks. This has been very vaguely rumored, but I'd take it with a giant grain of salt.

2). Huge cast announcement is made sometime in the next month, or to announce the start of production closer to May. No special announcement teaser. Instead, Disney waits to release a trailer featuring actual footage from the movie with Guardians of the Galaxy on August 1st. CA2 doesn't really need the extra boost from a potential Star Wars trailer, but GotG most definitely does. Plus, it's yet another Disney space movie. Then again, Disney may very well not want to "compare" the two movies in that way, and let GotG stand on its own, without the trailer for their other giant space franchise potentially overshadowing it. But Comic-Con is the weekend before GotG hits theaters, and I could definitely see Disney using that one-two punch to show off Episode VII for the very first time, with almost three months of filming complete by then.

3). Huge cast announcement is made sometime in the next month, or to announce the start of production closer to May. No special announcement teaser. No Comic-Con presence (Disney may not want to overshadow their Marvel stuff). Instead, Disney waits 'til Thanksgiving or more likely Christmas to debut the first trailer, exactly one year from release. Disney has a huge musical with an insane cast called Into the Woods hitting theaters Christmas day, so they could easily wait and attach a trailer with that.

Either way, Disney will DEFINITELY release the first trailer with one of their own movies. Besides the three mentioned above, the only other blockbuster they have this year is Maleficent, but that seems like a weird limbo time to release a SW teaser - after the cast has been officially announced, after filming has begun, but before Comic-Con. I just don't see it happening. My best bet would be scenario two, taking advantage of the one-two punch of Comic-Con and GotG.

All I know is we're almost assuredly getting a new Star Wars trailer THIS YEAR, and that kind of blows my mind.

[This message has been edited by TCTTS (edited 3/13/2014 10:17p).]
fig96
AG
quote:
Exactly. And yeah, we obviously knew more about the movie and knew that the teaser was coming, maybe a couple weeks before it debuted. For Super 8, though, Abrams released a teaser - unannounced - before filming even began. Before anyone had ever even heard of the movie.

Point is, Abrams LOVES not only teasers, but surprise teasers as well. Shot specifically for marketing purposes, outside of regular filming. The difference here is that it's Disney calling the shots, and they will no doubt have final say when it comes to the marketing/announcement.

Same thing happened with Cloverfield if I recall, several teasers before anyone knew a thing about it.
First Page Last Page
Page 12 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.