Movie Filming Locations in Texas

55,076 Views | 164 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by policywonk98
MandaPanda
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I think Selena or at least some of it was filmed in San Antonio on the Riverwalk.
old-Rudyjax
You know what guys? Selena was filmed in San Antonio.
MandaPanda
I just realized someone already posted about Selena. Oops!
old-Rudyjax
It's ok. Half the posts are duplicates of what someone else has posted.

It's like, people don't read the thread!
Slicer97
AG

filmed in Austin and Huntsville

filmed in Austin and Taylor

filmed in Austin, Bastrop, and Smithville

Gig me
AG
How has no one said this...the greatest movie of all time!
AggieSouth06
quote:
Texas Stadium home of the Dallas Knights in Any Given Sunday...

The visitor's locker room was still painted with Dallas Knights logos and colors every time we played there in high school. It was painted that way for at least a year or two.
ro828
If I'm repeating, sorry.

Dennis Quaid in THE ROOKIE= Austin, Round Rock, Taylor, The Ballpark in Arlington.

Meat Loaf in ROADIE= Austin

Peter Fonda and Warren Oates in RACE WITH THE DEVIL= Bandera, Castroville, Leakey, San Antonio

Peter Fonda again in OUTLAW BLUES= Austin and Hunstville

The original PIRANHA= San Marcos, Seguin, Wimberley

Sissy Spacek and Eric Roberts in RAGGEDY MAN= Maxwell and Seguin

Ellen Burstyn in RESURRECTION (one of the best movies you'll ever hope to see)= Kyle, Shiner, Gonzales, Faber, Lytton Springs, Uhland

Dolly Parton in WILD TEXAS WIND= Austin

Vanessa Redgrave and Rod Steiger in BALLAD OF THE SAD CAFE= Austin and Seguin
old-Rudyjax
Did you read the thread?
Agnzona
We've never been licked!

Good Lord Almighty new army sucks!
old-Rudyjax
Someone read the thread.
Longstreet
Climbing into the way-back machine here.

Mackintosh and T.J. was Roy Roger's last movie. Filmed all over the Panhandle, including Matador, Guthrie, Floydada, Lubbock, and the spectacular 6666 Ranch. Rogers was in his mid 60's, and still did all his own stunt and horseback work.

I was 12 when that movie came out. Daddy had family in Matador, farming and ranching all over that area. We couldn't wait to go see it, and see all the places we knew from all the times we visited aunts and uncles and grandmas and granddaddys and cousins...
Agnzona
John Wayne in Hellfighters!
ro828
OK. Somebody help me out here. Encore Westerns had a movie with (I think it was) Gene Autrey that was filmed in Dallas at the State Fair. It was in black and white, from the late 30's or early 40's.
HtownAg92
AG
D.O.A. in Austin and San Marcos (Dennis Quaid version)

"Thursday" with Thomas Jane (totally underrated movie) was set in Houston, don't know if actually filmed there.
SW AG80
AG
In the late 1960s there was a movie with Steve McQueen, Sally Struthers and the girl from "Love Story" (can't remember her name) filmed in San Marcos, the Riverwalk in San Antonio and, I think, Alpine. Really good movie. "The Getaway" might be the name of the movie.
LHIOB
AG
quote:
Dennis Quaid in THE ROOKIE= Austin, Round Rock, Taylor, The Ballpark in Arlington.

I was there the night they filmed it. Pretty cool.
Slicer97
AG
oh, and

filmed in Bracketville, Alpine, Ft. Davis, and Del Rio
Agnzona
Wasn't the opening scene in Chuck Norris's Missing in Action showing some helicopters flying over the foothills just North of Galveston?
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
I believe parts of Friday Night Lights and Selena were filmed in Texas. And how could anyone forget Revenge of the Nerds being shot in College Station?

(Can someone go check on Rudyjax please?)

quote:
The Chase with Charlie Sheen was filmed on a unopened stretch of 290 in Houston back in 1994 I recall.

A couple years later when they finished the by-pass around Waller, there was a little trick to get on the open portion before it was connected. No traffic, no cops. Redlined my truck all semester on that stretch.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
quote:
quote:Please please please give me a map quest location of these waterfalls. They have driven me crazy ever since I saw them in that movie as a kid that I have tried to locate them since everytime I went with my family downtown for the Astros or something.

is this a real question? here you go

I think Gradin was probably asking about these fountains, not are beloved quinceanera backdrop:

Those are the ones I remember most from the movie anyway.

That's Tranquility Park in Dowtown.
http://www.yelp.com/biz/tranquility-park-houston

The house is just outside of Downtown at Taft & Clay, so you might as well cruise that while you're down there. Some site lists it as 409 W. Clay. I'm not sure if that's it, but it's definitely the right neighborhood (and you can finish your Reality Bites driving tour at Cecil's Pub just around the corner on West Gray).

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=%22409+W.+Clay,+Houston%22&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=409+W+Clay+St,+Houston,+TX+77019&gl=us&ei=5WXOS9zJH5KW8ATEkuzZDA&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CAcQ8gEwAA

Houston Architectural Information Forum tracked down most of the locations, but site seems to be down right now.
old-Rudyjax
Aggro
Hey Nav
AG
Trying to remember some that I like (apologies if already mentioned).

The Getaway (Yeah, mentioned already, I just like the photo)

Wings

Filmed in Claude, like Hud.

The 2004 version

The Great Waldo Pepper

[This message has been edited by Hey Nav (edited 4/22/2010 1:12a).]
TheSheik
AG
Independence Day - not the alien invasion movie, but the wife beater movie with David Keith was filmed in Anson
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0085724/
still a couple of "sets" and store fronts left over from that production can be seen around town

as was the Robert Duvall movie "The Stars fell on Henrietta"
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0114534/
a Clint Eastwood - Malpaso production - quite a few Clint and Robert sightings around Abilene back then....
YellAgs
AG
No one's mentioned Hope Floats? It was filmed in Smithville (it's between la grange, bastrop, and giddings.
Mucho austin
AG
I didn't see Man of the House mentioned.
With Tommy lee jones, I think it was filmed in austin.
B/CS Dreaming
AG
Miss Congeniality and Spy Kids were both at least partially shot in Austin.
b dog
AG
i feel obligated to include this as a native of sugar land...
Saxsoon
AG
I don't know the movies, but I remember there being 5-10 movies filmed in El Paso near Cattleman's about 20 minutes out of town. I also remember that the Day After Tomorrow filmed in El Paso when everyone was crossing the border.
rhoswen
AG

Rick Deckard
AG
nm

[This message has been edited by Rick Deckard (edited 4/25/2010 6:03p).]
NorthshoreAg
AG
parts of Rushmore were filmed at North Shore High in Houston as well as St. Johns - I was soph or junior and they paid a bunch of us to be extras - bill murray was really nice to us and stuck around to sign autographs
ag97tx
AG
Courage Under Fire with Meg Ryan, Lou Diamond Phillips, Matt Damon, & Denzel Washington. Filmed outside San Marcos at the Gary Job Corps Center. My husband was in the Corps at A&M and they used cadets as extras in the movie.

Pearl Harbor (Ben Affleck, kate beckinsale, Josh Harnett) - aircraft carrier & pilot meetings filmed in Corpus Christi. I went to Corpus one weekend and the USS Lexington was flying Japanese flags & had Japanese zeros on the deck.
HardMan
AG
Home from the Hill
Robert Mitchum
Dallas , Paris
SW AG80
AG
According to the Internet Movie Database, over 3800 movies have been filmed in Texas. I thought people were pulling my leg that "Revenge Of The Nerds" was filmed at A&M, but part of it was. Most of "Bonnie and Clyde" was filmed in Texas.

That is an interesting website to peruse.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.