Ever seen an act get booed off stage?

21,481 Views | 82 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by TXAGBQ76
Jackal99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
NoAC, I saw that Metallica concert in Houston that year. Pretty much the same thing happened at that one, too.

I saw Big Audio Dynamite II open for U2 way back in, uhm, well, it was the Achtung Baby tour, so probably 91, 92? They sucked. The Astrodome wasn't too full, and most of the people there were booing BAD II. I think they wound up cutting their set short. Public Enemy came on next (some lineup, huh?), and didn't draw that many boos (though they came close when they hung a dummy of a KKK member on a gallows and burned it).
Peter Gibbons
I'm sure nobody knows of a guy called Joe King Carasco. Spring Break 1989-ish...Port Aransas holds a Joan Jett concert ON the beach. Local "hero" JKC is playing and it's so bad that not only was he being booed, everybody was throwing sand and beer cans on stage at him. One of my friends hit him in square in the forehead with and empty Miller Lite can from about 20 yards away.

We left before Joan Jett came on...right before the riot. Awesome.
SB in H-Town
Dont know if anyone remembers the Texas Jam or not but they used to hold it in Houston (and I think Dallas). Must have been early in the 80's. I went to the show in Houston at the Dome. Ted Nugent came out and got the crown into a frenzy. Next was Sammy Hagar in his glory days, just tore it up. Then the headliner comes out, Styx (think they were supporting Kilroy was here at that time). Their singer said "Anyone want to here a little piano music?". Half the people walked out and the other half booed. They finished the set but it was bad. I actually felt bad for them.

[This message has been edited by SB in H-Town (edited 2/28/2008 10:43a).]
Trigger06
AG
Went to see Queens of the Stone Age in Austin. The Eagles of Death Metal were supposed to open, but they canceled and some band called Throw Rag took their spot. They were horrible. They got booed a lot, but not off the stage.
sunnyday04_
They weren't booed off the stage, but they definitely received boos...and that would be Collective Soul. Think of them what you will. But, this was in Portland back in December at the KINKfm Holiday Benefit concert they had there. The line-up was: Ingrid Michaelson, Brandi Carlile, KT Tunstall, David Gray and Collective Soul. In my opinion Collective Soul doesn't fit in with that line-up AT ALL, and they were given the headliner slot...which meant they were designated the longest set (clearly). No one was ever happy about this, but it was what it was. However, after David Gray's set (who only got to play for 20 minutes) people were cheering for an encore. Due to time constraints, the radio station wouldn't let him come back on and thus when Collective Soul came out people were less than pleased and were not shy about vocalizing their disgust. Thus, boos. We left and went drinkin' before they started their set. We had front row/ center spots and still were uninterested.

I still felt bad for them, but come on... are they really that relevant now?

[This message has been edited by sunnyday04_ (edited 2/28/2008 10:55a).]
Max Power
AG
Somehow Crazy Town got onto Ozzfest after the song Butterfly got big. Not only were they booed off stage, but they left the tour and were probably fearful of their lives after the show. I've never seen a band get laughed at, booed, and threatened because they sucked so bad, it was terrific.
Blacque Jacque Shallaque
In 1982, I saw Van Halen in Norman, Oklahoma, and the opening band was "The Cats." Never heard of them and I think they made in through 4 songs before the crowd turned on them. Boos and chairs were flying at the stage...people were leaving and milling about the concourse and they either walked off the stage or the promoter pulled them off and then turned the lights back on. They got a standing O when they left because they sucked so bad.
BQAG02
AG
I saw an Elvis Impersonator get booed at a Rockets halftime. It wasn't his fault - it was the DJ's. The DJ apparently couldn't pull up the version without the words and so when he finally did play the song the guy was basically just singing along with the regular version. Felt bad for the guy.

Well, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
Dallasag02
AG
I think the closest I ever came was at an Aggie basketball game a few years back during the Melvin years. Anybody remember when they had the Blues Brothers impersonators come perform at halftime?

Those guys were absolutely terrible. Everyone was booing them, and they fought through it and kept trying to pump up the crowd. That was painful.
FAST FRED
AG
I remember a show Harlem Globetrotters gave at G. Rollie White back in the early '60s and I've posted this about it before:

Aggie basketball was pretty good back then, under Coach Shelby Metcalf.

In fact, basketball was Aggieland's most successful sport when I was in school, although we were never ranked in the top ten.

Anyway, that evening, the Globetrotters played around with their hapless, touring foils, the New York Generals.

They did all the famous set pieces and their athletic talents and comedy were well received by the Aggie audience.

Their "Sweet Georgia Brown" circle drill went over big.

And Meadowlark Lemon and that bald-headed dribbling dude named Curly both did their things.

There was a water bucket full of confetti, instead of water, to throw on the audience at courtside and a basketball with an elastic string to pull it back after a shot.

It was fun to watch.

The halftime entertainment was Cab Calloway with his swing jazz band of about fifteen musicians.

Now, Calloway was the original jive hep cat who had been an international star since his days at Harlem's Cotton Club in the 1930s.

His headlining heydays were now far behind him, though, and his part in this show hadn't even been advertised to my knowledge.

He came out in an orange zoot suit with a long watch chain, suspenders and spats and when he removed his snappy hat he revealed processed hair with a single curl pasted to his forehead.

If you don't have a mental image of this yet, picture Sammy Davis Jr., pimped out for his role as "Sportin' Life" in George Gershwin's "Porgy and Bess."

Or Prince at the Super Bowl halftime.

Yeah, Mister Calloway was every bit that flashy.

Cab started out by singing and dancing to his signature number, "Minnie the Moocher," and he followed it up with his famous call and response trademark tune, "Hi-De-Hi-De-Hi."

Personally, I thought this opportunity to experience a little musical diversity from a true show business legend was cool, but I was in the extreme minority.

Well, actually, Cab Calloway and his band of all Black musicians were the minority.

I dug what they were doing, but.....

If what music went over best at Aggieland in those days is assessed by remembering which recorded tunes were played most often on loud phonographs from open dorm windows to the Quad below, then "Teach Me, Tiger" by April Stevens and "A Six Pack To Go" by Hank Thompson and his Brazos Valley Boys would top the list.

The English Invasion by The Beatles, The Animals and The Stones was coming very soon, but it hadn't reached culturally isolated College Station yet.

Aggieland was horny, caucasian and country.

Anyway, the less than impressed, all male and all White, student crowd, few of whom had any idea what to make of this unfortunate booking miscalculation, first yelled derisively at Calloway and his band, then loudly booed him and even pitched numerous pennies, which fell onto our hardwood basketball court.

He played a short halftime show and left the stage.

It was not one of Aggieland's more cosmopolitan moments, but surely one a sharper booking agent would have foreseen.

If Cab Calloway had only been accompanied by some dancing girls, he could have had a much warmer reception.

Heck, we probably would have been the most enthusiastically responsive crowd since the Apollo Theater, if he'd only brought a few, lovely showgirls with him.

We'd have loved that and been grateful.

Heck, if he'd simply been advised to yell "Howdy" at us before he started jiving around in Jolly Rollie, he might have had a fighting chance at winning our favor.

The Aggies booed him off the stage.

And this was back when Aggies never booed.

It wasn't a proud moment.

Thankfully, Aggieland has, seeks, supports, accepts, welcomes and embraces more diversity now.

We are sincerely supportive of all our students and student athletes, especially our basketball teams these days, regardless of their sex or ethnicity.

And if a legendary artist like Prince, or maybe even Cab Calloway, were booked to entertain an Aggie crowd at a basketball halftime now, he'd quickly turn Reed Arena into a giant, accepting, appreciative, applauding mosh pit.

And the happy thought of all that makes me very proud of what our fine, modern Texas A&M University has become.

Gig 'em, FAST FRED '65.

Before the world wide web, village idiots usually stayed in their own village.

[This message has been edited by FAST FRED (edited 2/28/2008 1:50p).]
AgKJ
AG
Came close twice:

1. Guns N Roses in Dallas in '91? maybe '92? - some outdoor ampitheater place. I forget who the opening band was, but they were pretty good and the crowd was into it. The Axl decided to do one of his trademark "make everybody wait until I'm G** D*mn ready to go onstage" routines.
Almost TWO HOURS went by in between the opening act and when GNR finally took the stage. Then Axl proceeded to suck - his voice was just torn to sh*t and so he only sang about every third line instead of the whole song.
The booing started and it got bad - I thought we might see them bail, but they played the whole set.

2. KISS in Galveston Spring Break of '89 or '90. A bunch of us went down from A&M all excited about seeing KISS play on the beach. There was a BIG crowd - nice big stage right on the sand etc.
Well, KISS proceeds to come out and play exactly TWO songs and then thanks everyone for coming and leaves! People were loving the "show" up to that point and then it went from shock like "that's it??" to rage. Bottles, cans etc were flying everywhere.

I favorite memory is the announcer got on the mic and sounded all stoned as he said, "dudes, stop throwing bottles - you're gonna hit KISS and stuff". They were long gone - hilarious.

[This message has been edited by AgKJ (edited 2/28/2008 12:47p).]

[This message has been edited by AgKJ (edited 2/28/2008 12:48p).]
Big 12-0
hen Cheap Trick opened up for Aerosmith here in Lubbock, they played a few songs when Rick Nielsen took to the mic. He said thanks to everyone for coming, but no thanks to Bob Knight who wouldn't let Cheap Trick rehearse in the arena before the concert. I think he was surprised by the chorus of boos that drowned out the rest of his speech.

They played a few more songs, but he didn't get a reaction during the his "The Dream Police arrested me right here in Lubbock Texas!" chant.

He walked off stage, leaving the other three members standing there. They looked to the drummer who merely shrugged, stood up and waved to the crowd, and walked off.

"Ain't that a Shame"?? I was a bigger Cheap Trick fan than Aerosmith so was hoping to see their whole show.
Human
AG
Not a concert but...I heckled Carrot Top in San Antonio(Aztec) about 4 years ago.

I was yelling out the punch lines before got to them.

What made it even better is, my friend got us balcony seats.

I was drunk yes, but it was cool.

He was pissed.

"Look- an Amish drive by.."

SlimM
AG
Jackal...was that Met concert at the Fort Bend County Fairgrounds? I know I was there for it, but I can't remember where they played!

laserbeam
Speaking of Prince, I saw one of his shows at the O2 in London last summer, and the opening act was MIA, who is awesome. But her set went over like a lead balloon with that crowd, given that a) the average age of the crowd must have been about 40; b) the sound in the O2 is pretty bad (consolation for those who missed Led Zeppelin), especially for beat-heavy stuff like hip-hop; c) MIA herself was dressed like she was going to pirate-themed party for fashion victims; d) her album had just come out and nobody knew any of the new songs yet, and she didn't play many of more pop-y stuff from the new record anyway.

All that meant that she got booed pretty roundly about halfway through the set, but she soldiered on, played some more uptempo stuff toward the end, and more or less got away intact. But it was bad.
chick79
AG
There were some boos at Bob Dylan's performance at ACL last year........
SlobberKnock
AG
Great stories everyone...

AggieOO...there must be something about the Melvins...check out my post on the riot thread...
Jelly Bean
Cow Palace in San Francisco. It was a benefit concert of some sort and had all sorts of acts from Alice in Chains to Beastie Boys.

Well, Rage Against the Machine are on and the Beastie Boys are supposed to be next. The bands are only supposed to play 2-3 songs. At that time, Rage was only known for Bulls on Parade and they played it first. They went on with a couple more unknown songs but didnt stop. They kept singing song after song. You could see the Beastie Boys at stage left waiting and getting pissed. Finally, all 3 of them come out and start removing the Rage guitars, amps and mic stands themselves. The crowd, who was already booing Rage at this point, went ape sh** crazy. That was the first and last time I have ever seen one band get removed from the stage by the band they were opening for.
drivinwest
AG
Great thread.

Fast Fred, as a fan of the Blues Brothers, that story makes me sad. But I can see it happening in that era.

And Big 12-0's Cheap Trick story always kills me.

This doesn't really qualify as being booed off the stage, but back in the mid 90s Nine Inch Nails toured with David Bowie, with NIN opening. Anyone that's ever seen them knows they put on a great show and that night was no exception. Well the crowd was riled up when Bowie took the stage and he opened with one of his slower tunes from the 70s. The crowd became listless after his third song and began leaving. I stuck around for most of his show as I've always been a fan, but I'll bet there wasn't a quarter of the original crowd remaining by the end.
Trajan88
AG
To: SB in H-Town... re: "Texas Jam"

Actually they tricked it up and spelled it "Texxas Jam" (maybe trademark issue). Anyway, I went to three Texxas Jams ('84 headliner was Rush - Grace Under Pressure; '85 Deep Purple's Perfect Strangers; & '86 Van Halen's 5150)... all good stuff... I'm still sunburned and my ears are still ringing ;-)

One of the Jams had Keel for a mid-day set... ah, I said forget that and walked to the indoor A/C'ed beer garden outside the Cotton Bowl and got fired up for the later, better acts.

To: AgKJ... believe that was G&R's Use Your Illusion tour with Trixter (or was it Skid Row??? I'm old) opening at the Starplex (at Fair Park Dallas)... lead singer was in a leg cast after some accident. You're right on having to wait for Axl & company to hit the stage... was one of the first shows after a riot broke out at a venue where Axl walked off the stage after one or two songs. Luckily, G&R came out semi-sober and completed their songs without incident.

Rock, be rocked, or step aside.

Trajan88
TAMU '88
Law Hall (may it R.I.P.) Ramp 9 Mule
fup!

[This message has been edited by Trajan88 (edited 2/28/2008 11:16p).]
AgKJ
AG
Trajan - yup, it was Skid Row that opened for GNR now that you mention it.
If you were there, do you remember that during the long wait for GNR the camera started showing chicks raising their shirts on the big screen? That got us through about 45 minutes!
SlobberKnock
AG
drivin west....i went to that show in Dallas...it's exactly as you mentioned it...Bowie sang Hurt with Trent and then went on to some of his more obscure stuff and the crowd dwindled...i thought Bowie was good...but had plenty of room to move around
ro828
Michael Jackson as the Superbowl halftime act. Huge show, special effects, dancers, whatever. Thanks to the long lenses you could see the people in the stands totally ignoring what was happening on the field, walking back and forth. Hilarious.

Not a band, but...1994 Academy Awards. David Letterman- whose only tie to the movies was a small part in CABIN BOY- tried to host the awards. He completely bombed. The audience clearly wanted him off stage but he wouldn't cut his monologue short. They didn't actually boo him, but they didn't encourage him. And he wasn't back the next year, either.

A friend of mine went to a show in Vegas. Hal Linden, from the TV show BARNEY MILLER, was the opening act. She said he was terrible. Not a good singer, bad jokes. The whole audience pretty much ignored him and nobody clapped or anything, just kept their conversations going on while he was trying to perform, but he toughed it out and did his whole set. Wow. He was probably booked for at least two weeks. I wonder if this happened every night.

[This message has been edited by ro828 (edited 2/29/2008 11:40p).]
Tanelorn
I was at that show. The way I remember it…Atari Teenage Riot opened the whole night. They screamed and droned their bass slams into everyone's heads. I don't recall them getting booed off stage though. The Cardigans came on next and I remember people yelling at them in between songs to shut the **** up and 'I only cam here because you are hot'. Beck had no complaints. But what I remember was the cardigans getting heckled, not Atari teenage riot. A year or two after that I saw Cypress Hill open for The Offspring there at Patriot Center. That was a good show too
maroon barchetta
Letterman was back the next year.

Billy Crystal hosted and there was an intro video of him trying to get to the Oscars or something and Letterman was piloting a small plane with Crystal in it and the plane was going down.
maroon barchetta
Human said:

Not a concert but...I heckled Carrot Top in San Antonio(Aztec) about 4 years ago.

He was pissed.

Human
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
Human said:

He was pissed.

1) That just seems dickish to everyone in attendance.
2) Who goes to see Carrot Top?
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
Where is the RATM thread? I'm apparently blind. And dumb. Probably both if we're honest.
StinkyPinky
AG
Melvins opening for NIN. Pissed me off because I love The Melvins. Was 1994 in Dallas at the minor league hockey arena (Starplex?). There was plywood over the ice which was ultimately the pit. People were tearing up pieces of the particle board and throwing it on stage at Buzz. Reznor had to come out and tell everyone to cut it out or they weren't going to come on. Best part is that the floor was so torn up by the time NIN came out the pit was literally all ice. Was insane. Jim Rose circus was also there and performed (Enigma actually also played guitar with Nails which was wild). Never will forget that show.
C@LAg
george carlin. caesar's reno.

some time late 1990s.
MAROON
AG
Parents saw Jerry Lee Lewis at Gilley's. He was so drunk he fell off the piano seat and the house lights went up and the show was over. Obviously boos cascaded after that!
johnnyblaze36
AG
Cake 4.20.1997 Edgefest at Starplex in Dallas. Felt bad for them. They sounded horrible, people booed, and they left the stage after awhile. Beck and INXS would later go on to kill it though after them and moby before them. Was a great day.
Trajan88
AG
~Mid 90s... Bronco Bowl in Dallas... one of the openers for Megadeth (maybe Motley Crue) was The Misfits.

Someone(s) flicked a lit cigarette at the lead singer... he said something to the effect "You can hate/boo us, but this flicking of lit cigarettes has to stop."

He also jumped from the stage into the front rows and someone stole his belt... he got it back after asking for it nicely. .

Guy was a trooper and finished the set.

agdoc2001
AG
Steve Earle Lollapalooza 1996. Steve Earle is awesome and sounded great, but that was not his audience.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Trajan88
AG
Mr. Big... cha.... riiiight.

Anyway ... Billy Sheehan may be considered a "great" bassist, but damn, come on dude... what's with all the head bobbing and jerky movements when you're playing?!
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.