Ever seen an act get booed off stage?

21,530 Views | 82 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by TXAGBQ76
Dallasag02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This came up in the RATM thread, and I've never seen it before. Anybody seen a band get booed off stage before? I figured there should be some good stories out of this.

[This message has been edited by Dallasag02 (edited 2/27/2008 5:35p).]
superunknown
AG
I'm at work and can only do short hit and run posts but I'll tell my STP story later tonight.
Scriffer
AG
Ashley Simpson at the Orange Bowl. I wasn't there but 60K people were, and another bajillion watching on tv.
NoACDamnit
Close.

1993 - Metallica has just finished a massive world tour and kicks off a mini tour immediately after it in the US. They have Alice in Chains and Suicidal Tendencies slated to open. Pretty freaking energizing lineup.

Layne goes back into rehab and AiC is pulled from the tour only to be replaced by CANDLEBOX.

I have no idea how anyone could think this was a good idea.

Suicidal Tendencies gets the crowd ROARING with energy. And that gets followed up with some crappy "Seattle" band singing "Cover me, n'yeah." (whatever the hell that meant)

The crowd grew increasingly irate during their set culminating in outright boos, but they kept playing.

I'd have felt sorry for them had I not thought they sucked.

----------------------------------------------------

the next attack will probably be in NY...maybe a nuck... -- overwater
AggieOO
melvins.

opened for tool.

technically didn't get booed off stage since they finished their set, but they were booed throughout the entire set.
91_Aggie
AG
Candlebox was the SUCK!
Guitarsoup
AG
Rob Thomas in San Antonio in the 90s.
maniacalclown
Candlebox did that song Far Behind, though, so they get a free pass.
dreyOO
i saw a Selena impersonator that didn't get the highest marks. it was sad. but i laughed
MookieBlaylock
AG
that was at the AlamoBowl this year
superunknown
AG
NoAC, I might have told you this story in the past, so don't blame me. Also, my story also has Suicidal Tendencies involved.

In high school, I was a total metalhead, and Megadeth was on their "Foreclosure of a Dream" tour. During the first leg of the tour (fall of '91) Suicidal Tendencies were the opening act, so my buddies and I were all really jacked for the show. As mentioned on this board before, San Antonio's a big time metal town, so we knew the show was going to be freakin' awesome.

We get to the show (at the Freeman, hell yeah) and it was actually like the 3rd or 4th show on the second leg of the tour. Suicidal Tendencies was no longer on the tour (I think they went to the studio to record "Art of Rebellion", but my ST timeframe might be a bit muddy) and had been replaced by this pretty much unknown band Stone Temple Pilots. STP had one song out ("Sex Type Thing", I believe) and we'd heard the song but yeah, nothing special...a buddy of mine had the STP album and said it was good, so we thought it'd be OK.

STP comes out on stage like they're the biggest rock band on the planet. They play a couple of songs and people react with indifference bordering on boos. Weiland's getting more pissed and more pissed, and he's jawing with the crowd in between songs which inspires people on the floor to begin chanting "We want Dave! We want Dave!" He breaks out the bullhorn for a song ("Crackerman", I believe) and by then people are visibly laughing and pointing....Weiland's getting more pissed as the chant gets louder, but the rest of the band looks a little freaked out. After Crackerman was done, Weiland towels himself out and throws the towel in the crowd and it lands on this dude a few rows in front of us (we were 6th row, I think) and the guy in the crowd throws it back. Meanwhile, the "We want Dave!" chant is thundering through the rest of the Freeman, and Weiland goes NUTS when the towel gets tossed back to him. He screams into the microphone "Eff you guys" and then (and I know this sounds cliched, but it happened) "They love us in Cleveland" and random people start yelling "well go back to Cleveland!" and the Bexar County sheriff's deputies working security start making their way down the aisles and getting in front of the first row. Weiland paced back a couple of steps, throws the mic down and walks out. People start cheering wildly, the rest of the band looks really confused, then a little scared, and finally they leave too. For a solid minute or so, people are scrambling around on stage, the crowd's going nuts with happiness, and then the house lights abruptly come on and the PA starts playing random metal, just like they did before the show. Roadies come on and rush the STP gear off the stage, and about 15-20 minutes after Weiland stomped off, Megadeth comes on to a HUGE ovation/cheer, and they speed through a couple of songs that strangely enough pacified the crowd. Dave Mustaine finally takes the mic and addresses the crowd...and slyly says something like "Well, I guess you guys just couldn't wait, eh?" and the crowd goes nuts again, and they played a pretty long set and everyone went home happy.

A couple of months later, "Plush" came out, STP became huge, and they wound up playing a sold out show later that summer.

NoACDamnit
I had not heard that story, but it's awesome.

walton91
Hello Cleveland! Hello Cleveland!

RAB97
AG
NoAC, the Candlebox story was what came to my mind as well. Summer '93 with Metallica and Suicidal Tendencies at the Starplex in Dallas. I remember the singer of Candlebox begging the crowd to be patient because they only had a couple of more songs left.
NoACDamnit
quote:
I remember the singer of Candlebox begging the crowd to be patient because they only had a couple of more songs left.

Etched firmly into my memory.

After what felt like hours into their set he noticed the crowd wasn't having any of it.

"You guys aren't really here to see us are you?"

"BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"

"Well we only have a few more left."

"GET OFF THE ****ING STAGE!!!!!!"

I'll give them this, I wouldn't have had the stones to finish the entire set.

dreyOO
^
i'd cover another song just to piss the crowd off further...play some barry manilow and really enrage them
CoolaidWade
AG
I have seen the fighting texas aggie band booed off the field before. it was in austin, however. does that count?
roveram
AG
Any more stories? This topic is especially funny to me because of Rock Band. My three sons play the game like a religion.

Every time they get boo'd off it's an instant blame game with ensuing fights. I can't help but LMFAO.
Mooch98
AG
I was at that Metallica concert in '93 and must have been too incoherent to remember how bad Candlebox sucked. I vomited for what seemed like an eternity after that concert.
Professor Frick
AG
beck, odelay tour. patriot center on george mason campus. the cardigans come out, no one all that interested, but the crowd is civil. then ****ing atari teenage riot comes out. just nothing but screeches and blips and just REALLY REALLY LOUD. It felt like after a while they were dropping the cranked up bass just to try and it hit the brown note. It was literally the most physically painful show i've ever been to. they got booed off, and screamed "eff you all" in their thick german accents. ****ing terrible.
superunknown
AG
nice one professor! the brown note. awesome.

Notafraid
Once about 20 years ago I went to an open jam at JJs Blues bar in Arlington Tx., and the house band was letting guys come up. I went up, and they played a song that was kind of a real fast boogie woogie in B minor. The singer came up to me and said, “this is in B minor” before the song. Well I never played anything in B minor so I was a little hesitant to just kind of rip loose in the place where I thought I needed to start. Also, boogie woogie types of blues songs are not my favorite either.

Any way, I doddled around a little bit, hitting 5 or 6 notes, and none of them really satisfied my fears that I should go on any further, so I kind of pretended like my guitar was out of tune after that, and the singer even announced to the crowd after te song “uh oh, sounds like someone’s guitar was out of tune”, I packed up my guitar and headed out after that fully embarrassed.

In hindsight, I was starting in the right place., I had found B, and the little pentatonic riff I was doing would have sounded quite adequate enough if I had just keep working it out. I was simply paralyzed by uncertainty and insecurity. Moral of the story. Don’t be an idiot like me! Just go for it!

[This message has been edited by Notafraid (edited 2/27/2008 10:38p).]
GCRanger
AG
Why in hell would someone pick ATR to open for Beck. I like both but completely different types of music.

edit. not sure why I put a winky face.

[This message has been edited by GCRanger (edited 2/27/2008 10:45p).]
Gunter12
Winger...

Opened for Cinderella...crowd got hostile early...didn't help matters when Kip Winger started cussing the crowd for being disresepectful....he got a "**** YOU KIP" chant for his troubles...crowd got the double-bird in return and Winger exited stage left.
Trajan88
AG
Maybe 7-8 years ago at Dallas' Bronco Bowl... the band The Misfits were one of 2-3 openers for Megadeth... not booed off the stage per se, but they were pretty much done after someone from the crowd took the lead singer's belt after a stage dive and others in the front rows kept flicking lit cigarettes hitting the singer.

Misfits... thumb's down.
roveram
AG
Metallica and Megadeath seem to be a common theme.
Urban Ag
AG
Scorpions Crazy World tour, fall 1991 at the Tacoma Dome. They had Mr Big (haha) open followed by Great White.

The crowd was hardcore Scorps fans ranging from 20's up to 50's. Anyway, Mr Big comes on in full GNR life big hair regalia. They suck it hard. I was 18 and up in the front with a mouthful of Redman. Shoes and bottles and garbage are hitting the stage and the lead singer stops the band and starts berating the crowd. I remove said large wad of Redman from mouth and hit the lead square in the neck with it. He freaks out, the crowd roars, five minutes later they walk off stage. Great White came out about half hour later and basically begged the crowd to stay in control.

Was a fun night. True story.
superunknown
AG
quote:
I remove said large wad of Redman from mouth and hit the lead square in the neck with it. He freaks out, the crowd roars, five minutes later they walk off stage. Great White came out about half hour later and basically begged the crowd to stay in control.

Dude, that's pretty damn awesome. Mr. Big just makes me laugh. Apparently they are huger than huge in Japan.
FtBendTxAg
AG
only a comedian. never a band.

and of ALL places it was atx

[This message has been edited by FtBendTxAg (edited 2/28/2008 12:18a).]
RockinAg10
a couple of years ago. The Walkmen opened for Incubus in san antonio. They were absolutely horrible. Out of tune, the guitarist even blew out his amp. people booed. I think they finished their set. At the end of their set though, they threw out some of their cds to the crowd. A lot of the people threw them back. The singer got so pissed and lauched one as hard as he could into the crowd as he was walking off.
FtBendTxAg
AG
Im no Walkmen fan, but ever since The OC made them bigger than they should be, people seem to like them.

I dont wish humility upon anybody (except for tu) But thats kinda funny.

They dont sound like they'd be a good live act.

BTW... Is Incubus good live? Me and a friend had tickets to see them back in 02 or 03, but only one of the tickets were valid so we didnt get in, and i wasnt a big enough fan to watch by myself.

We drove a freaking hour, sat in traffic and walked a mile to get to the venue too. They sounded like they were rocking pretty good from outside of the pavilion, though.

[This message has been edited by FtBendTxAg (edited 2/28/2008 3:04a).]
roveram
AG
Some friends of mine have seen them and said they dominate.

I guess that means they didn't get boo'd off.
jetch17
AG
Blood brothers at the engine room in houston.... terrible.
rdag04
AG
very close to it....

i was at the willie nelson 4th of july picnic several years ago..and some idiot scheduled toby keith to play the same day as the dead....all the jerry bears booed toby keith from start to finish. anyone else would have gotten off the stage..but that arrogant ***hole just kept playing like the crowd loved it.....

...the dead was awesome though..
TheCzar
AG
quote:
Ashley Simpson at the Orange Bowl. I wasn't there but 60K people were, and another bajillion watching on tv.

Greatest thing I've ever seen, it was right after all the lip-synching SNL stuff too
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.