Do you mow your own yard?

9,321 Views | 109 Replies | Last: 29 days ago by Aggie Therapist
malenurse
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
maroon barchetta said:

You mow your pool?

I assume people would make the connection. I should have known better
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But, it's still on the list.
TX AG 88
AG
Ragoo said:

Since I was 10 I've mowed the yard of the house I live in

Same here. And a few other folks lawns at various times for various reasons. Never for pay.

Probably less than 10, maybe less than 5, times in my life, while traveling, I've paid someone to mow mine.
ac04
no. last time i mowed a lawn was august of 2020. i am not sure i will ever mow one again.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
fc2112 said:

I am a man, so yes.

F that. I am also a man, but not a poor man, so no, I pay some poor people to cut it for me. Wooooooooooo!
C@LAg
My butler's butler has a staff that mows it.
docb
AG
Milwaukees Best Light said:

fc2112 said:

I am a man, so yes.

F that. I am also a man, but not a poor man, so no, I pay some poor people to cut it for me. Wooooooooooo!

Rich man poor man has nothing to do with it. Some of us just enjoy getting our hands dirty.
agz win
AG
Running wild on a Zero Turn with your Air Pods kicking out rock ballads is not getting one's hands dirty. It's a waste of life. Miniature goats would be better.
docb
AG
agz win said:

Running wild on a Zero Turn with your Air Pods kicking out rock ballads is not getting one's hands dirty. It's a waste of life. Miniature goats would be better.

To each their own I guess. I certainly don't use air pods. I don't even own any. I always admired a man that could fix things and do things themselves. But I guess we are all different and that's ok.
Matsui
AG
Yes
agz win
AG
Didn't mean to be harsh. Just sensitive to one neighbor mows three times a week. Needs a psychiatrist.
scd88
AG
I mow my own yard.

Front on one day, St Augustine.
Back is Tif Tuf Bermuda, so it needs to be mowed more frequently.
I have a Honda mower for the front, and a different Honda mower for the back.
I mow, edge with a trim line weed eater, and sweep up.

It's hard work, but it gives me an opportunity to see how my grass is doing and it's good exercise. It's one of the few things related to my house that I'm good at.
CowtownAg06
AG
I did for a long time (as a kid and adult). Moved to a bigger lot in 21 and was shocked how cheap it was. My compromise with myself was not paying someone to do the pool and learning that.
deer corn
Sea Speed said:

I've got several acres and a lot of trees and a pond so it would cost me a TON to get it done by someone else. Not worth it. Plus I enjoy it for the most part.

This minus pond. Riding mower is like a go cart drive. Pretty.nice.
Sweep4-2
Nope. I hate yard work and have many other things I'd rather be doing on the weekend.
Consistency: It's only a virtue if you're not a screw-up.
Caesar4
AG
I'm looking forward to no yard work, because I'd rather focus on something else and I'd rather pay someone to do yard work.

But, we've tried a number of services and haven't yet been happy.

So, for now, it remains:
  • My wife mows the yard. She enjoys it. Yard is small. Mowing can be done in about 20 minutes.
  • I edge/trim/blow. Depending on the season (Central Tx), that can be 30 mins or 8 hours. Yikes!
Big Tuna
I do not mow.

It is something I've considered taking back up. Though my career and the kids activity schedule, coupled with the cost associated with buying the equipment to mow an acre plus has thus far kept me from restarting the activity.
bmks270
AG
Big Tuna said:

I do not mow.

It is something I've considered taking back up. Though my career and the kids activity schedule, coupled with the cost associated with buying the equipment to mow an acre plus has thus far kept me from restarting the activity.

Equipment pays for itself since you won't be paying someone else.

bmks270
AG
Yardwork is the only cardio I get. So that's one reason I like to do it myself.
eye-gor
AG
Been mowing for the past 8 years, takes me right at an hour start to finish and it is a good work out. This year, my 12 year old daughter starting mowing with me, cut our time in almost half and we enjoy our time together. My 11 year old will start working with us soon, hell I may just start a business. Have a 6 year old in the wings.
ARKY AGGIE
AG
I mow my yard, My friend's mom's back yard and sometimes his yard. It takes about 2.5 hours to mow it all.
BTHO bacon bits!!!
MouthBQ98
AG
Yes. I enjoy it. Setting chaos to order is satisfying. Same when aI am shredding the pastures.
Bonfired
AG
Yep. It actually looks like something has been accomplished when it's done.

The only yard chore I don't enjoy is raking, because it never looks completely done...10 minutes later, more leaves are down. Pfft.
Sea Speed
AG
MouthBQ98 said:

Yes. I enjoy it. Setting chaos to order is satisfying. Same when aI am shredding the pastures.

Wow. I never thought of it this way but this must be why I like it.
MAROON
AG
did it for a lot of years. Was always a PITA. Would try to do it on Friday night so I didn't have to wake up early Saturday morning and do it before it got to hot. Finally, my mower crapped out. I looked at buying a new one then made the decision to pay someone else. Best decision ever. We still do work on the beds and cut back bushes etc. But no more cutting, edging, bagging yard waste. My crew can knock it out in 15-20 minutes.
TXAG 05
AG
agz win said:

Didn't mean to be harsh. Just sensitive to one neighbor mows three times a week. Needs a psychiatrist.

What's wrong with that? You don't like your neighbor keeping his yard looking good? If I was retired, I'd mow at least twice a week, and really should now since it is growing so fast. It looks shaggy about 3 days after I mow.
B-1 83
AG
Mowed mine this morning, as a matter of fact.
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
Sea Speed
AG
Just got done mowing a couple acres for an elderly neighbor who broke her neck.
Jack Cheese
AG
Sea Speed said:

Just got done mowing a couple acres for an elderly neighbor who broke her neck.

Was she doing it herself before?
Sea Speed
AG
Not sure honestly, but since she broke her neck another neighbor has been helping out. Kids went over there to help with picking up her yard after the hurricane and that's when we learned her neck was broken and she wasn't living at home right now, so we connected with her daughter to help out where we can.

ETA her husband died just before we moved here a year ago so I think things have been changing pretty drastically for her. We had only met her once before.
Aggie97
AG
I used to mow my yard. I would never do it on weekend. I would start about on a Tuesday 6:30pm and finish about 8pm with the mowing and trimming.
ToddyHill
AG
I mow about three acres a week on my zero turn. About an acre of that is the front, back, and side areas of our home. The other two acres is the adjoining field. The two acres front a rather large creek that empties into the Tennessee River. I actually enjoy that part as I'm able to take in the beauty of it all and just 'escape' from the craziness of life. Further, the view of a two acre mowed 'lawn' is pretty cool. .
BeastmodeAg
AG
Proud to mow my own yard. Takes less then a hour and feels great.
TexasAGGIEinAR
I'll always mow my own yard. I'm part of the 5% of my subdivision that does. I like sweating and getting dirty. I've been mowing my yard since I was a child. I'll never pay someone to do something that I can do for free…and probably better.

The post yard work beer(s) are the absolute best.
scd88
AG
Celebratory post mow beers are the best.
ABATTBQ11
AG
Yes. Front yard is small and usually looks like crap because it's full of weeds and only about half grass. Backyard is much larger and mostly immaculate zoysia you can walk barefoot over. Sometimes I mow it twice a week to keep it low and get it to spread out and get thicker. Last week I mowed the front and back, both of my neighbors' front lawns, and the guy two houses down because they were getting tall (like 6") and I felt like doing them all a favor.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.