Do you mow your own yard?

9,227 Views | 109 Replies | Last: 21 days ago by Aggie Therapist
Philo B 93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Do you mow your own yard? I do and it's pretty much the only time that I "think" without a screen in front of me or music/talk coming from some type of speaker/headphone. I just mow and think about stuff, usually stuff that makes me mad. I like mad mowing.

I also have a mower that is so old, I don't have any memory of purchasing it, although I know I did buy it at some point. Runs like a champ.
Fins Up!
AG
Yes. I love doing yard work.
texag06ish
AG
Yes. It's a chore but it's also very relaxing.
Anchorhold
The high school kids that mow around my house do a good job and are reliable. I still have faith in the future of this country.
TecRecAg
AG
I mow mine. Love it
Flashdiaz
AG
Yes but only because I make my kids help and do most of it.
B-1 83
AG
Nobody is touching "Ask the Agronomist's (TM)" yard but me!
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
Hwy30East
No. For the past 12 or so years, I've had it done. It takes the yard guys about 15-20 minutes to do what it takes me 1.5 hours to do by myself. And my wife and I like to be going places and doing other things. Now my wife does take constant care of her flower beds, and other gardening stuff.
wangus12
AG
Yeah. It takes me an hour to do it once a week.
JABQ04
AG
Yes I do. Takes an hour and a half to mow, weed eat, edge, blow all the clippings off. Nice to get out and listen to a podcast while doing it then crack open a cold beer and sit on my back porch and admire my handiwork.
JobSecurity
AG
Hwy30East said:

No. For the past 12 or so years, I've had it done. It takes the yard guys about 15-20 minutes to do what it takes me 1.5 hours to do by myself. And my wife and I like to be going places and doing other things. Now my wife does take constant care of her flower beds, and other gardening stuff.

Same. Gladly pay $30 to get that hour and a half back. Only get a few hours to do stuff on the weekends as it is
Ragoo
AG
Since I was 10 I've mowed the yard of the house I live in
maroon barchetta
I used to do it. The front at least. And part of the back. The far back is kinda wild.

In recent years I've paid a guy to do it. We don't irrigate so in dry times it doesn't grow and doesn't need mowed.

He does it so much faster than I can do it. He's got a professional mower and a guy with a weed eater and blower. They work fast. I get that time back.

We still have pruning to do and flower beds to work and roses and another flower bed to tend to so there is still more yard work to do.
JMac03
AG
We pay someone for the front yard. Hubs usually does the backyard. I don't mind doing it though - I actually enjoy the mowing part. Not the weed eater.
chiken
AG
Yep, but I'm not opposed to paying someone either. My yard is so small it takes maybe 10 minutes to mow front/back. I havent done weed eating yet. That will like add another 15 minutes because there are a lot of rock borders.

SOON
Jack Cheese
AG
I mow, edge, trim, blow the clippings. I generally enjoy it except it's damn hot right now and I'm getting older.

My simple old Honda mower just won't die. I'm about to replace it with something that is self-propelled which will keep me mowing the next few years.

Any thoughts on battery-powered mowers? I've generally avoided any lawn gear that isn't gas powered.
An L of an Ag
AG
Yep. Mow, weedeat, pruning trees, occasional gardening & mulch.

Bigger landscaping stuff, we hire someone.
NoahAg
Sons usually mow but secretly I hope they are too busy so I can do it. I love yard work. I do all our landscaping, irrigation repairs, planting. Don't care how hot it is.
dabo man
AG
I rent, so it's cut for me. My backyard is a good sledding hill in the winter. Seems to me that it would be a PITA to mow.

I made my money cutting several yards in high school, but they were all in Beaumont... flat.
dabo man
AG
I guess what I'm really asking is

Canyon Lake Agbu94
Just finished mine for the week. It is nice to admire the six pallets of sod I put down in the spring.

Relaxing and enjoyable but it was hot.
Buford T. Justice
AG
I mow my yard. 3 hours door to door with a push mower, and I cross cut the front yard. (That includes trimming time and blowing off the driveway, sidewalk and back porch.)
Sea Speed
AG
I've got several acres and a lot of trees and a pond so it would cost me a TON to get it done by someone else. Not worth it. Plus I enjoy it for the most part.
malenurse
AG
I mow my own yard. I hate it. But I hate giving money to people to do something I am perfectly capable of doing. I have a corner lot which means more trimming. Takes about two hours start to finish.

The big factor is I work three 12 hour shifts/week. I have plenty of off days to take care of it. I also do my own pool maintenance for the same reasons.
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But, it's still on the list.
fc2112
I am a man, so yes.
MemphisAg1
AG
I used to do it, for years, with a push mower. Then my three sons all get their turn. When they left and it came back to me, I hired somebody. I still do lots of outside work; our place is bigger now, but hiring somebody to do the basic mowing freed up a lot of time to do other stuff.
docb
AG
I mow my yard once a week. Takes 2.5 hours
agz win
AG
No. I was forced as a kid to mow acres of pasture and lake banks. Mowing is for suckers. No yard now, only needles and native plants.
Claude!
Jack Cheese said:

I mow, edge, trim, blow the clippings. I generally enjoy it except it's damn hot right now and I'm getting older.

My simple old Honda mower just won't die. I'm about to replace it with something that is self-propelled which will keep me mowing the next few years.

Any thoughts on battery-powered mowers? I've generally avoided any lawn gear that isn't gas powered.
I'm in the Ego battery powered system - mower, blower, and string trimmer, plus hedge trimmer, chainsaw, and cultivator. For my moderately sized suburban lawn, it works pretty well.
rwtxag83
AG
Thinking about getting one of these:

Everybody who owns one says their lawns have never looked better and they use far less fertiizer/chemicals.

Greater love hath no man than this....
Bruce Almighty
AG
Nope. I hate mowing, and I'd rather spend that time doing things I actually enjoy.
rwtxag83
AG
rwtxag83 said:

Everybody who owns one says their lawns have never looked better and they use far less fertiizer/chemicals.

They mow every day, just like at a golf course. They used to be a lot more expensive, but the price has come down. Husqvarna is the best, but some others are good and are half the price
Greater love hath no man than this....
An L of an Ag
AG
Same, more or less, but Ryobi.
malenurse
AG
rwtxag83 said:

rwtxag83 said:

They mow every day, just like at a golf course. They used to be a lot more expensive, but the price has come down. Husqvarna is the best, but some others are good and are half the price

I finally broke down and bought one fort the pool. Love it
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But, it's still on the list.
maroon barchetta
You mow your pool?
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.