Why is dating after 35 such a beating?

203,815 Views | 1572 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Stat Monitor Repairman
LupinusTexensis
How long do you want to ignore this user?
BenFiasco14 said:

LupinusTexensis said:

BenFiasco14 said:

LupinusTexensis said:

Sea Speed said:

Single women in this thread, you said wanted someone reasonably successful. What does that mean? Ags4dqwin used 70k/year. Is that what you think or are you looking for someone making 2x that? 3x that? I'm just curious what your salary floor is.

$70k is probably a good floor. I certainly don't need someone supporting me, but I expect them to have their financial house in order as I have mine in order. To me this means able to pay your basic bills, save for retirement/emergencies, have a little fun money. I am quite independent and will go on vacation wherever alone if no one can afford to go where I want, but I generally travel extremely cheap and stay in hostels and get around on the cheap. I prefer to camp and backpack. So really whatever salary you can get by on with your bills paid and a bit saved for the future, most can afford my "extras"

You'd be fine with a guy making $70k? How much do you make? You live in Colorado, correct? 70k doesn't go far there. It's like Austin.

Are you okay with $70k because you're loaded?

$70k doesn't go anywhere unless it's supplemental income. Sure you can make way less but you're probably a demographic not on this board.

To answer the question floated above - I would think women looking for men in their 30s would expect $200k+ to shut their traps. Depending on trashiness level, "six figures" may be enough to keep them quiet.

Anyway for purposes of this thread I'm assuming women would want a guy to be making $200k+. That's purchasing power to buy a house and give them what they want.

If I'm wrong let hear it.

I make a good salary and have a house in Tx and Co and split my time between the two. I certainly find joy in the simple things vs having luxury vacations.

"Split your time"? What do you do?

Did you invent the bidet or something? Settlement from a former nfl husband? That's nuts at 34 but I'm all ears jokes aside.

I'm an engineer that's moved up the management track as I have social skills. I can work remote for chunks at a time and choose to do so from Colorado.
BenFiasco14
AG
LupinusTexensis said:

BenFiasco14 said:

LupinusTexensis said:

BenFiasco14 said:

LupinusTexensis said:

Sea Speed said:

Single women in this thread, you said wanted someone reasonably successful. What does that mean? Ags4dqwin used 70k/year. Is that what you think or are you looking for someone making 2x that? 3x that? I'm just curious what your salary floor is.

$70k is probably a good floor. I certainly don't need someone supporting me, but I expect them to have their financial house in order as I have mine in order. To me this means able to pay your basic bills, save for retirement/emergencies, have a little fun money. I am quite independent and will go on vacation wherever alone if no one can afford to go where I want, but I generally travel extremely cheap and stay in hostels and get around on the cheap. I prefer to camp and backpack. So really whatever salary you can get by on with your bills paid and a bit saved for the future, most can afford my "extras"

You'd be fine with a guy making $70k? How much do you make? You live in Colorado, correct? 70k doesn't go far there. It's like Austin.

$70k doesn't go anywhere unless it's supplemental income. Sure you can make way less but you're probably a demographic not on this board.

To answer the question floated above - I would think women looking for men in their 30s would expect $200k+ to shut their traps. Depending on trashiness level, "six figures" may be enough to keep them quiet.

Anyway for purposes of this thread I'm assuming women would want a guy to be making $200k+. That's purchasing power to buy a house and give them what they want.

I make a good salary and have a house in Tx and Co and split my time between the two. I certainly find joy in the simple things vs having luxury vacations.

Did you invent the bidet or something? Settlement from a former nfl husband? That's nuts at 34 but I'm all ears jokes aside.

I'm an engineer that's moved up the management track as I have social skills. I can work remote for chunks at a time and choose to do so from Colorado.

Good for you. Having gone to A&M, I obviously know tons of engineers around our age range (I'm 30) and none are "splitting their time" between residences, unless they came from a very wealthy family where they had access to these things before their career.

So either you inherited a bunch of money, in which case good on you - no salt off my back. Or, you invented something extremely valuable and are playing coy.
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
jwoodmd
BenFiasco14 said:

LupinusTexensis said:

BenFiasco14 said:

LupinusTexensis said:

BenFiasco14 said:

LupinusTexensis said:

Sea Speed said:

Good for you. Having gone to A&M, I obviously know tons of engineers around our age range (I'm 30) and none are "splitting their time" between residences, unless they came from a very wealthy family where they had access to these things before their career.

So either you inherited a bunch of money, in which case good on you - no salt off my back. Or, you invented something extremely valuable and are playing coy.
Dude, you are coming across as totally insecure.
BenFiasco14
AG
jwoodmd said:

BenFiasco14 said:

LupinusTexensis said:

BenFiasco14 said:

LupinusTexensis said:

BenFiasco14 said:

LupinusTexensis said:

Sea Speed said:

Dude, you are coming across as totally insecure.

Good lord, this Manny sock is still around?
LupinusTexensis
BenFiasco14 said:

LupinusTexensis said:

BenFiasco14 said:

LupinusTexensis said:

BenFiasco14 said:

LupinusTexensis said:

Sea Speed said:

It honestly isn't that hard to do- the houses I have in both places are very modest and purchased before the housing market blew up in either location. Certainly no McMansions here. I drive a 10 year old car and rarely eat out. I have priorities in what I want in life and that's reflected in how I spend my money.
Windowshopper
BenFiasco14 said:

LupinusTexensis said:

BenFiasco14 said:

LupinusTexensis said:

BenFiasco14 said:

LupinusTexensis said:

Sea Speed said:

It's possible to live that kind of lifestyle if you've made it up the ranks at a company. BUT doing that at 34 is pretty rare and to have two homes, one being in CO would probably require a large salary that only a top company could offer. And those top companies usually don't have execs at 34. So unless each house is a 200k house, something doesn't add up.
maroon barchetta
You guys are so intimidated by a 34 year-old single woman that lives modestly and puts her money into real estate and whatever else works for her.

No wonder there are so many single guys here that "just can't find a woman". You wouldn't be able to handle one that isn't a mail order bride.
Ryan34
AG
You're throwing out $200k as a minimum desired salary and don't think a single 34 year old can afford two residences?
BenFiasco14
AG
LupinusTexensis said:

BenFiasco14 said:

LupinusTexensis said:

BenFiasco14 said:

LupinusTexensis said:

BenFiasco14 said:

LupinusTexensis said:

Sea Speed said:

It honestly isn't that hard to do- the houses I have in both places are very modest and purchased before the housing market blew up in either location. Certainly no McMansions here. I drive a 10 year old car and rarely eat out. I have priorities in what I want in life and that's reflected in how I spend my money.

I'm not doubting you. Your experience is just wildly different than what I see from my peers. They buy their first home thanks to a nice gift or loan from their parents.

So what - did you a buy a cheap house somewhere near Houston after Harvey and then chose to rent it and buy in Colorado?
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
This is getting kind of weird.
LupinusTexensis
Windowshopper said:

BenFiasco14 said:

LupinusTexensis said:

BenFiasco14 said:

LupinusTexensis said:

BenFiasco14 said:

LupinusTexensis said:

Sea Speed said:

It's possible to live that kind of lifestyle if you've made it up the ranks at a company. BUT doing that at 34 is pretty rare and to have two homes, one being in CO would probably require a large salary that only a top company could offer. And those top companies usually don't have execs at 34. So unless each house is a 200k house, something doesn't add up.

I don't know what to tell you. I took a risk and stretched myself young and it paid off well. I refinanced everything during the rona lows and am lucky. I probably wouldn't have taken those risks if I knew I had kids and daycare and college coming up in the future. I created the life I want and it could've gone wrong, but it didn't. Both houses will be paid off in less than 15 years.
BenFiasco14
AG
Ryan34 said:

You're throwing out $200k as a minimum desired salary and don't think a single 34 year old can afford two residences?

Good lord. A single engineer is not, from my experience, making enough by 34 to do that what with student loans and the like.

Obviously every situation is different but come on. My engineering friends entered the field at like $60k with a bachelors, $85k with a masters. Some many years later are doing quite well - 180-225k range at a firm with their PE license or whatever.
LupinusTexensis
BenFiasco14 said:

Ryan34 said:

Good lord. A single engineer is not, from my experience, making enough by 34 to do that what with student loans and the like.

Obviously every situation is different but come on. My engineering friends entered the field at like $60k with a bachelors, $85k with a masters. Some many years later are doing quite well - 180-225k range at a firm with their PE license or whatever.

Did you know that with a little sweat equity you can turn a busted house into a house you love? It just happens slowly over time as you can afford it.

I worked through college and had scholarships and paid internships so my debt was very minimal

Please enjoy your priorities as much as I enjoy mine.
Ryan34
AG
BenFiasco14 said:

Ryan34 said:

I'm 34 and also an engineer who went the leadership track. It's plenty doable. At that age, we got out of college around 2010. Housing market was still low, so people who got in at that time have experienced significant gains.
Windowshopper
LupinusTexensis said:

Windowshopper said:

BenFiasco14 said:

LupinusTexensis said:

BenFiasco14 said:

LupinusTexensis said:

BenFiasco14 said:

LupinusTexensis said:

Sea Speed said:

I don't know what to tell you. I took a risk and stretched myself young and it paid off well. I refinanced everything during the rona lows and am lucky. I probably wouldn't have taken those risks if I knew I had kids and daycare and college coming up in the future. I created the life I want and it could've gone wrong, but it didn't. Both houses will be paid off in less than 15 years.

That's awesome, glad the risk paid off.
BenFiasco14
AG
LupinusTexensis said:

BenFiasco14 said:

Ryan34 said:

Did you know that with a little sweat equity you can turn a busted house into a house you love? It just happens slowly over time as you can afford it.

I worked through college and had scholarships and paid internships so my debt was very minimal

That's awesome for you. Not discounting that. But your experience is an outlier at best and not representative of most folks in our age range. Sounds like you struck gold - awesome and congrats.
BenFiasco14
AG
Ryan34 said:

BenFiasco14 said:

Ryan34 said:

I'm 34 and also an engineer who went the leadership track. It's plenty doable. At that age, we got out of college around 2010. Housing market was still low, so people who got in at that time have experienced significant gains.

Well, awesome! You and Lupi are made for each other.

As many greats have said before me -

Another successful texags hookup
Ryan34
AG
Over/under on how many guys have tried to PM Lupinus now.
Ryan34
AG
BenFiasco14 said:

LupinusTexensis said:

BenFiasco14 said:

Ryan34 said:

That's awesome for you. Not discounting that. But your experience is an outlier at best and not representative of most folks in our age range. Sounds like you struck gold - awesome and congrats.

She's way too close to 35 for me.
LupinusTexensis
Ryan34 said:

BenFiasco14 said:

LupinusTexensis said:

BenFiasco14 said:

Ryan34 said:

Nothing overcomes biology.
B-1 83
AG
maroon barchetta said:

You guys are so intimidated by a 34 year-old single woman that lives modestly and puts her money into real estate and whatever else works for her.

No wonder there are so many single guys here that "just can't find a woman". You wouldn't be able to handle one that isn't a mail order bride.
I'd keep her occupied just asking about what she was doing and how. Not only does it sound cool, it keeps her talking about herself. There, is the key, dickless gentlemen.
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
Ryan34
AG
LupinusTexensis said:

Ryan34 said:

BenFiasco14 said:

LupinusTexensis said:

BenFiasco14 said:

Ryan34 said:

You can't distract me with your money and fancy lifestyle.
LupinusTexensis
Ryan34 said:

LupinusTexensis said:

Ryan34 said:

BenFiasco14 said:

LupinusTexensis said:

BenFiasco14 said:

Ryan34 said:

You can't distract me with your money and fancy lifestyle.

You too can ride in my old ass beater living the high life.
BenFiasco14
AG
maroon barchetta said:

Man. I just want to point out this lame troll attempt.

Went over like a fart at a funeral. Not your best work, Barch
The Fife
LupinusTexensis said:

Windowshopper said:

I get it, at 34 I had the place I (we) lived in plus two rentals. No kids yet, no divorce yet. It's definitely doable.

Nowadays it's just the kids and me but no rentals and their mother stops drawing blood from us in about 20 months.
TexasRebel
AG
Ryan34 said:

I absolutely would, but I don't think two engineers could ever make it work.

She's a catch though!
ATX_AG_08
AG
Ryan34 said:

I tried to send her a d pic but the file was too large.
maroon barchetta
BenFiasco14 said:

maroon barchetta said:

Man. I just want to point out this lame troll attempt.

Went over like a fart at a funeral. Not your best work, Barch

No troll. Just stating the obvious.
LupinusTexensis
I appreciate you and the other men who validated my experiences as possible so other men could imagine that a young (but not for much longer) person can in fact achieve goals with planning, sacrifice, and some luck.
LupinusTexensis
TexasRebel said:

Ryan34 said:

She's a catch though!

Just imagine the socks and sandals combos we could have with no one there to mock us.
maroon barchetta
LupinusTexensis said:

I appreciate you and the other men who validated my experiences as possible so other men could imagine that a young (but not for much longer) person can in fact achieve goals with planning, sacrifice, and some luck.

Mostly I'm just jealous you can go backpacking whenever you want. And planned well enough to get a house where there is great backpacking!
Sea Speed
AG
No no no, you just don't understand. HE KNOWS OTHER ENGINEERS. you're obviously lying or have family money.
LupinusTexensis
maroon barchetta said:

LupinusTexensis said:

Mostly I'm just jealous you can go backpacking whenever you want. And planned well enough to get a house where there is great backpacking!

It's nice being able to fly fish after work. There's nothing more peaceful than listening to the river and maybe making a catch or too. I'm sad it's too hot right now most days.
maroon barchetta
Sea Speed said:

No no no, you just don't understand. HE KNOWS OTHER ENGINEERS. you're obviously lying or have family money.

And eleventy billion in student loan debt.
TexasRebel
AG
LupinusTexensis said:

TexasRebel said:

Ryan34 said:

She's a catch though!

Just imagine the socks and sandals combos we could have with no one there to mock us.
I was thinking about all of the half finished projects around the house that would be patentable if we ever got around to finishing any of them once the challenge is gone.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.