The Divorce Thread

75,187 Views | 336 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Gilligan
The Fife
How long do you want to ignore this user?
We're closing in on when the final divorce papers can be filed and people keep bugging me about it so it's time for the divorce thread. I know someone will ask, yes we did go to counseling. Multiple times, there was an attempt.

I wrote out the whole thing but went with a tl;dr version instead... which is still tl. The reason I called it last summer was because things were never going to work out. I took care of the kids, cooking, cleaning, the house, cars, and earning most of the income while she sat around on the computer and her phone all the time. She talked about how she would change but I can't think of anything that lasted longer than a week because change requires willpower.

Budgeting didn't work because she'd drop $20-100 on stuff from Amazon all day. Dead bedroom which she finally came out of the closet about a few months before the split up, no surprise there. The kids weren't getting the attention they needed from her because she couldn't handle the stress from them being around. When they acted like little kids she'd lose her temper at them and pawn them off on her mom (who in turn used the kids as leverage against her). The internet and her phone were her top priorities. She'd stay up until 2 or 3 most days and it screwed up her sleep and basic hygiene. Internet addiction is definitely a thing.

It was clear there would be no end and that this was the right choice. Since then the house is somehow a lot cleaner, mountains of clutter gone, and the kids are easier to handle and better behaved. She has them on weekends where they go BSC at her mom's house. She has yet to have them on her own but swears it'll happen someday.

I'm doing a lot better but not much of an update on life from her end. Same old crap plus the train wreck that is the WSW online dating world. The only reason I pay attention is because in theory someday she'll have the kids on weekends and it would be good to know.
chick79
AG
Page one
PneumAg
Can we get a tl;dr for your tl;dr
Drawkcab
She must have been really hot and amazing in the sack (at first, before the whole coming out thing) to put up with all that. Congrats on the sex!
Shakes the Clown
Was she at least hot?

You know the rules pal. Don't dikc us around.

THE_CHOSEN_ONE
Are you a transgender person?
hbc07
AG
Host, then post.
chipotle
Sorry about this whole thing. Especially with kids.
The Fife
Drawkcab said:

She must have been really hot and amazing in the sack (at first, before the whole coming out thing) to put up with all that. Congrats on the sex!
Just finished going through a dead hard drive worth of recovered pictures and stuff. She looked pretty good long ago, terrible in the sack.

The thread is already at a high enough risk of getting nuked so you'll have to use your imagination.
Jbob04
AG
Glad you did the right thing and put your kids first. Prayers up
Ragoo
AG
The Fife
Kids are definitely doing better. They like it at grandma's more because they can run around and do whatever they want like take people's phones vs. no phone/tablet over here, but with me when I say something he knows I mean it. I don't have the crazy acting out to deal with.
John Francis Donaghy
The Fife said:

Drawkcab said:

Just finished going through a dead hard drive worth of recovered pictures and stuff. She looked pretty good long ago, terrible in the sack.

The thread is already at a high enough risk of getting nuked so you'll have to use your imagination.

My imagination is much more likely to get the thread nuked than any pic you would likely post. Better go ahead and post the pics to protect the thread.
ShinerBlonde
AG
Congratulations, this is where the second half of your life begins. In all seriousness, divorce is a horrible thing to go through but there is a good life on the other side of it. I moved out of my house 5 years ago this month and my divorce was final shortly thereafter. Best decision I ever made. So glad I didn't waste any further years on a bad situation. I have never once in the past 5 years regretted my decision for a second. If anything having seen how my ex has spiraled since the divorce makes me even more relieved about my choice. It's hard for the kids and it's an adjustment but you will find a new normal. Dating post divorce is tricky and my advice is take it slow and focus on yourself for awhile. Figure out what you like to do, make new friends, take up new hobbies, go to therapy, travel and really get good with yourself and then see what's out there.
goodAg80
AG
Sux that you got into that kind of situation.
ChoppinDs40
AG
You turned her gay? Damn
JD Shellnut
AG
Out of curiosity, how long did y'all date before getting married, and looking back now where there any "red flags" that you noticed but chose to overlook from before getting married?
THE_CHOSEN_ONE
THE_CHOSEN_ONE said:

Are you a transgender person?

The fact that this question has gone unanswered pretty much answers it.
Seven Costanza
AG
At what point in the relationship did she become this way (not the sexuality - just the behavior, inability or lack of desire to cope with stress, aloofness, etc.) ? Or was it always this way, and only really became highlighted once kids and responsibilities came into the picture?
62strat
AG
Man that sucks, especially for the kids.

I'd like to think that after years and years with someone, you really know them deep down. My wife and I dated for 7.5 years before getting married.. then another 4 years before kids came around, yet we bought our first house 2 years into relationship. I feel that something like this would never happen (like her coming out).. We've known each other pretty much our entire adult lives... but hell maybe I'm being naive.

I don't understand the whole kid thing.. you know, we had kids after we moved 1000 miles away from either parent. I'm almost glad we did. I see so many of my couple friends that grew up with parents a few miles away, and the kid pawning off was common between them all. We didn't have that option.. we had to figure it out and make it work. It makes you figure out how to deal with and eventually manage your stress, instead of just dropping the kid off somewhere else.

Charpie
AG
You and The Fall Guy have something in common. Here's hoping he joins this thread!
chiken
AG
hey man, thanks for finally sharing. And I'm happy for you taking control of your life. Those kids don't know how lucky they are you chose happiness.
diehard03
Quote:

I don't understand the whole kid thing.. you know, we had kids after we moved 1000 miles away from either parent. I'm almost glad we did. I see so many of my couple friends that grew up with parents a few miles away, and the kid pawning off was common between them all. We didn't have that option.. we had to figure it out and make it work. It makes you figure out how to deal with and eventually manage your stress, instead of just dropping the kid off somewhere else.

Grandparents that are close are usually a blessing, barring any dysfunction. What you're describing is more gratitude for a struggle rather than a benefit for doing it that way...not unlike having a poor upbringing.
Woody2006
AG
Enjoy getting your dick wet again. Stay off tinder, the people there are gross. Bumble worked the best for me but I've also heard good things about hinge.
Not a Bot
AG
Good luck to you.

Hopefully you find someone out there who is good for you and your kids.
Post removed:
by user
Bobby Petrino`s Neckbrace
Woody2006 said:

Enjoy getting your dick wet again. Stay off tinder, the people there are gross. Bumble worked the best for me but I've also heard good things about hinge.
Username checks out
Drawkcab
third coast.. said:

Did you at least try to get a threesome?

That's a post divorce activity with the new girlfriend and ex wife.
Beer Baron
AG
Tree Hugger
AG
I was surprised to the see the developments on this after all the home reno threads on the HI board the last few years. I knew you had split up but:

Did she really switch teams? I just thought she was going through some severe post partum stuff with a BSC mom that I thought had caused a lot of the problems.?
aglaohfour
AG
I'm sorry you went through all that, and especially sorry for the kids. Some women just aren't maternal and it sucks for their children, but it sounds like yours are really lucky to have you.
Duncan Idaho
Sounds like you wife became mentally ill and you decided the best thing for your family, your vows and and your faith was to abandon her instead of getting her the help she needs.

So congrats on that I guess.

And before anyone gets pissy....remember what board he posted this on. If he wanted support or kudos try somewhere else.
hph6203
AG
The pride parades are being relocated to your house as we speak. Watch out for the glitter, it's a ***** to get rid of.
Canyon99
yikes!
Duncan Idaho
hph6203 said:

The pride parades are being relocated to your house as we speak. Watch out for the glitter, it's a ***** to get rid of.

I'm not the one that turned my wife gay and then didnt even try to get a threesome out of it.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.