What did you eat as a kid...

11,485 Views | 123 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by spaceaggie1975
Old RV Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
pdc093 said:

LIMA BEANS!!!!
Oh, my - did my mom ever serve Lima beans - like 5 nights a week for years!!! When I first got married I told my beautiful, great wife I'll never say a bad word about anything you cook as long as I never see a Lima bean. Had 45'wonderful years together - and I never once saw a Lima bean!

Edit - when our kids would go over to grandma and grandpa's house they'd always come back and ask me "dad, can you pleeaaasssse ask grandma to quit making us eat Lima beans!?"
spud1910
AG
Totinos frozen pizza. I don't think I have had one since I left home for TAMU in 1981.
aeon-ag
I ate what mother cooked or went hungry!!!!!!
jickyjack1
TequilaMockingbird said:

Sugar tits- white bread heavily buttered and covered in sugar

Beanie Weenies

Those so-called "sugar tits" should be packaged and offered as a painless way to commit suicide. A couple of months, every day, should do it. And it wouldn't be messy except for the urp.
zephyr88
AG
PlanoAg98
AG
Quote:

Quote:

MouthBQ98 said:
Peanut butter mixed with maple syrup....
This sounds delicious.
A peanut butter and syrup sandwich was a common staple in our house. It was much better than just a peanut butter sandwich. Sometimes we'd even grill them.
Hey Nav
AG
I thought peanut butter and banana sandwiches were a common thing - went off to college and found out people though I was nuts.

That said, I did draw the line on banana and mayo sandwiches.
Drawkcab
Charpie said:

A better version of that is buying Kraft Deluxe Macaroni and Cheese. Brown some ground sirloin with truffle salt and then mix them all together.

Add a can of Rotel and you got yourself a fine meal there.
expresswrittenconsent
Old RV Ag said:

pdc093 said:

LIMA BEANS!!!!
Oh, my - did my mom ever serve Lima beans - like 5 nights a week for years!!! When I first got married I told my beautiful, great wife I'll never say a bad word about anything you cook as long as I never see a Lima bean. Had 45'wonderful years together - and I never once saw a Lima bean!

Edit - when our kids would go over to grandma and grandpa's house they'd always come back and ask me "dad, can you pleeaaasssse ask grandma to quit making us eat Lima beans!?"

Ugh. Speckled lima beans and butter beans were so nasty.
TexAg2001
AG
Processed cheese slices. As a kid, I don't recall ever having "cheese" that wasn't orange/yellow processed cheese slices AKA American Cheese.

Never purchased it as an adult.
TexAg2001
AG
PlanoAg98 said:

Quote:

Quote:

MouthBQ98 said:
Peanut butter mixed with maple syrup....
This sounds delicious.
A peanut butter and syrup sandwich was a common staple in our house. It was much better than just a peanut butter sandwich. Sometimes we'd even grill them.
Peanut butter and honey sandwiches were a staple in my house growing up. Of course, that was only because we could get honey for free from a beekeeper neighbor.

Never tasted maple syrup until I was an adult. As a kid, I knew nothing except the generic syrups made with high fructose corn syrup. I actually prefer the generic version as an adult, even though I should know better now...
VaultingChemist
AG
Boiled cow's tongue (looks disgusting).

Raw hamburger meat seasoned with salt and pepper (tastes great and different from cooked).
Bruce Almighty
AG
Tuna fish
Reed McDonald 92
AG
PlanoAg98 said:

CiCi's Pizza
Howdy, Plano Ag! I used to feast at the original CiCi's @ Spring Creek and Custer. Is that one still there?

...edited to say I assume you wouldn't know.
Hey Nav
AG
Sundays after church - way too overcooked roast beef and those little white potatoes and carrots. Those little dinner rolls. Ugh. I hated it (even though today, it was probably pretty good food).

Always headed home if the Cowboys were on the TV.

Every once in awhile we went to Luby's (one of the originals - Harlingen). Everything was made from scratch. I'd get the fish square, tartar sauce, mashed potatoes with gravy, a roll. Piece of pie. Good stuff. Just had to beat the Baptists to the line...

My sisters would make bolagna sandwiches with mustard. Sometimes just mustard sandwiches. Never was my thing.
Alte Schule
ptothemo said:

Alte Schule said:

In my early teen years I would take Tasters Choice instant coffee pour about a cup into a big mug, add enough water to get it wet,and then add a little milk and sugar. It had the consistency of pudding.

I don't know whether to be grossed out or applaud the reckless abandon. Or both.
My mom was from the UK and started drinking tea and coffee at an early age so my folks didn't mind when I started drinking coffee when I was about ten. .I found out early on that I liked my coffee extra strong. Still do.
I would fill my coffee cup half way with regular coffee from the pot then add a spoonful or two of instant. My recipe above was just a natural progression from that. Sometimes, If there was any left from the morning pot, I might add that.

It's been close to 50 years since I last brewed up that sludge.
concac
AG
VaultingChemist said:

Raw hamburger meat seasoned with salt and pepper (tastes great and different from cooked).
You grew up in France?
Old RV Ag
AG
RealTalk said:

VaultingChemist said:

You grew up in France?
Don't need to grow up in France. We use to (and still do sometimes) eat raw beef (hamburger, carpaccio, etc.). Would not do it with store bought - but, as we butcher our own beef, we have significantly better quality control.

Now, I hate cow's tongue. Had one some that loved cow tongue sandwiches a lot!
Duncan Idaho
Spam was key in winning WW2. Not for us but it kept the Russians fed and allowed them to continue fighting.

Spam is literally freedom meat.

https://warontherocks.com/2015/07/foods-of-war-spam-3/
THE_CHOSEN_ONE
RealTalk said:

VaultingChemist said:

You grew up in France?

Both are popular dishes in South Texas, parisa and lengua, both are delicioso.
americathegreat1492
Nothing. I just stopped eating those things because I don't want to die of beetus. That stuff still tastes mmm mmmm good.
MRB10
AG
Koolaid powder straight out of the can. Was like a fun dip if you licked your finger.

Not going to lie... I'd still eat the **** out of some cicis pizza.
MouthBQ98
AG
My grandpa fought in Korea. He loved spam. He'd even eat it right out of the can. But he wouldn't touch rice. Hated it.
Duncan Idaho
Koolaid out of a can with the sugar already in it?....damn look at Mr richie rich over here.
VaultingChemist
AG
Quote:

You grew up in France?
Nope. West Texas. Poor as dirt.
goodAg80
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

Spam is literally freedom meat.
I thought that was something else.
V8Aggie
AG
Entire mouth stuffed with crickets...
Comanche_Ag
AG
Pimiento cheese sandwich
Tuna helper
Kid Cuisine frozen dinners
Sunny D
Most sugary cereals
Hot pockets

Hey Nav
AG
Quote:

Entire mouth stuffed with crickets...

A bit curious on this one. What's that about?

I'm no snake-eater, but I've been to a number of survival courses and have eaten a few bugs.
gooberhead
AG
Fish sticks
Hamburger helper
Spaghettios

Tried spaghettios a couplle years ago. OMG, nasty doesn't even describe them! But I loved them as a kid.

And fried bologna is the tits!!!
BennyBlancoFromTheBright
AG
When there was no meat, we ate fowl
and when there was no fowl, we ate crawdad
and when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand.
Liquid Wrench
auxneer said:

I can't believe how many people don't like vienna sausages! My teenage sons will fight me for them.

On a camping trip recently I finished a can of them and was still hungry so I slammed the leftover juices. Don't do that. It was a bad idea.
One winter I left a can out on the kitchen counter with no heat on in there. when I opened it the next day, it all came out as one piece of gel with wieners in it.
ptothemo
AG
Did you do the classy thing and put it on a plate and eat it with a fork and knife?
Claude!
BennyBlancoFromTheBright said:

When there was no meat, we ate fowl
and when there was no fowl, we ate crawdad
and when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand.
You ate sand?
deadhead aggie
AG
^
That's right.

So growing-up Catholic, Good Friday meant no meat. My mom's main entree would be half a pear (from a can), served on a leaf of iceburg lettuce, with a healthy dollop of Miracle Whip served in the cavity of the pear, all covered with shredded cheddar cheese.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.