What did you eat as a kid...

11,433 Views | 123 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by spaceaggie1975
justcallmeharry
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
Baby Ruth Candy Bars. They were the reason for FDA approved amounts of insect parts in food products.
expresswrittenconsent
deadhead aggie said:

^
That's right.

So growing-up Catholic, Good Friday meant no meat. My mom's main entree would be half a pear (from a can), served on a leaf of iceburg lettuce, with a healthy dollop of Miracle Whip served in the cavity of the pear, all covered with shredded cheddar cheese.

That is the most "white lady read this in a magazine" thing I've ever heard. Sometimes all you need is one recipe to determine that someone is a terrible cook.
Doctor Rosenrosen
AG
justcallmeharry said:

Baby Ruth Candy Bars. They were the reason for FDA approved amounts of insect parts in food products.
I always liked getting that random rancid peanut M&M that tasted like dirt.
Liquid Wrench
deadhead aggie said:

^
That's right.

So growing-up Catholic, Good Friday meant no meat. My mom's main entree would be half a pear (from a can), served on a leaf of iceburg lettuce, with a healthy dollop of Miracle Whip served in the cavity of the pear, all covered with shredded cheddar cheese.
I remember my mom making that. Was that a Catholic dish or more of a 1950s/1960s dish? I can't remember if my mom just did it on Fridays.
gooberhead
AG
I still fix this about once a month, but with mayo instead of miracle whip. It's delish!
deadhead aggie
AG
^

Oh, so that's the key to the recipe.....mayo instead of Miracle Whip.....it all makes sense now.
V8Aggie
AG
Hey Nav said:

Quote:

Entire mouth stuffed with crickets...

A bit curious on this one. What's that about?

I'm no snake-eater, but I've been to a number of survival courses and have eaten a few bugs.
Lol it was a one-time thing when I was really little. Apparently I was in Sunday school and they had to call my mother to come get me b/c I wouldn't stop eating crickets.
Tanya 93
Chocolate covered donuts from Shipleys after church
BostonAg74
gooberhead said:

I still fix this about once a month, but with mayo instead of miracle whip. It's delish!
I think for Good Friday, it kinda has to be Miracle Whip though....
Tree Hugger
AG
BostonAg74 said:

gooberhead said:

I think for Good Friday, it kinda has to be Miracle Whip though....
I never could (and still can't) eat the Miracle Whip "salads"

Pea Salad (canned peas, MW, chucks of cheddar cheese)
Pear Salad (similar to the pear thing described above, only all chopped up)
My aunt mad some kind of abomination with MW, olives, pimentos, and "Acini de Pepe" pasta

I'm just know getting to where I can stomach a lightly dressed cole slaw (mayo, not MW) and I still can't do potato salad.
Duckhook
AG
Body By Fisher said:

deadhead aggie said:

^
That's right.

I remember my mom making that. Was that a Catholic dish or more of a 1950s/1960s dish? I can't remember if my mom just did it on Fridays.

My family isn't Catholic and it was a regular for us in the 60's. If it was a special day, there might be a cherry on top.

And Miracle Whip is the way to go, not that nasty real mayo for this dish.
PlanoAg98
AG
Poor man's quesadillas.

A slice of processed cheese on top of a tortilla nuked in the microwave. Fold & enjoy!
Buck Turgidson
Fried bologna is good (even though I hardly ever eat it as an adult). So are Totinos.
JMac03
AG
Oh man I hadn't thought of these in years - I used to make it when I was first married. I think I would gag now:

oldschool87
AG
Mic Drop!!!

ptothemo
AG
I get the "enlarged to show texture" or whatever, but those peas are effing huge
oldschool87
AG
Marathon candy bars and Now and Laters by the bag full....
Rutedown
Pennies
Dirt
Crayons
Vienna Sausage
Spam
FishrCoAg
AG
Spam
Spaghetti sauce made from box of powder
spaceaggie1975
AG
Boiled cabbage
Liver
Sardines

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.