stubhub sent me to collections

33,043 Views | 117 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by The Lost
62strat
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Now that I disputed the collections account, SH is supposed to contact me in 2-3 weeks.

But I don't really know what else to say. I'm not paying this ridiculous $500 fee.
Old RV Ag
AG
62strat said:

coastsrs said:

You keep saying you dont want to waste 30 mins to resolve this on the phone, but 100% certain youve spent over 3x that tines worrying, starting a texags thread, reading responses, responding more, and reading this reply.

I enjoy reading and writing on texags. I don't enjoy talking to a customer service rep on the phone.

So I called stubhub. It was 15-24 minute wait so I did the call back. They called me back, and I still waited 5 minutes for a rep.

The SH rep reminded me that I did contact the buyer. I remember now, after I spoke with a SH rep through forum about getting buyer info, I ended up seeing the buyer email in the sale page of my listing. Again, I was new to SH, I had no idea you weren't supposed to contact the buyer. On ebay, this is common practice.

I emailed buyer asking if he could meet me outside the venue. I emailed him 3 times, but never heard back from him. In my last email I said if I don't hear back from you we may have an issue because I'm not 100% sure I can mobile transfer the ticket, so it would be best to meet at the venue. My emails were on 7/9-7/17. I received an email on 7/17 (per this guy on the phone.. I kind of remember it but didn't keep it) from SH saying I'm not supposed to contact the buyer. OK.. didn't know that.. duly noted.

Back to phone call today, SH rep says this buyer is a known reseller/flipper, not an end user, and he had already sold it to someone else. (I don't know how you'd make any money, SH takes 25% off buying and selling, so he paid $575 or so, he'd have to sell for $750+ to make any money.. when I sold for $500.)
SH rep said it's in collection company hands now, not Stubhubs. I called collections, and they are marking it as disputed so it will go back to stubhub.

So basically, this buyer of my ticket got freaked out thinking he wasn't going to get his ticket (and in turn be able to give it to his buyer) since I was saying this may have to be canceled if you don't agree to meet me outside the venue, and so on 8/29, (more than a month after my attempted email communication with him) he had SH cancel my order. HE Canceled the order, still before my deadline to upload the ticket. Sure, I threatened that I wasn't 100% sure I can transfer the ticket, but I never canceled it, and it was still a week before my deadline to upload.

No way I owe them $500 when we he canceled the order due to his own fear. He was reselling a ticket that he didn't even have yet.. kinda like me, except my ticket was from the source; ticketmaster, so I was 100% sure I would have one. He can't say the same. That's his problem, not mine.

62strat
AG
seller policies
https://www.stubhub.com/legal/?section=sp9
section 6;

Quote:

6. Other things you're not allowed to do
6.1 Misusing buyer contact information or StubHub's Site and services

We provide you with the buyer's contact information so you can ship tickets to them. However, don't use this information to contact the buyer for anything other than delivering the tickets you sold to the buyer and do not tell a buyer that you are affiliated with or a representative of StubHub.

You are not allowed to use the StubHub Site or services to:
  • contact other StubHub users
  • ask other StubHub users to contact you
  • buy, sell, or deliver tickets outside of StubHub

*'Don't contact buyer for anything other than delivering ticket's.
I contacted buyer in an effort to get him the ticket (the delivery), so I feel I'm good there. I did not tell him I was affiliated with SH.

*'Not allowed to use stubhub site or services to contact or buy/sell/deliver tickets outside of stubhub.'
That's a bit vague. I didn't use 'stubhub site or services' in order to contact him. I emailed him directly through email which SH gave me and it was from my personal email. I would equate this rule to a setup like ebay, where you can contact a buyer or seller directly through ebay messaging interface and try to set up a sale outside of ebay, in an effort to avoid fees. I certainly wasn't doing that.

Proposition Joe
You contacted the buyer (3 times) to tell him his mobile transfer ticket you might have to meet him outside the venue to give to him.

That's an easy cancel. I would have cancelled too. The guy paid $500 for a mobile transfer ticket, you were trying to change the terms of delivery.

(And all of this ignoring that Metallica went out of their way to tell anyone buying for this show that tickets would not transferable, and you still tried to sell a ticket as mobile transfer).
62strat
AG
Quote:

And from what I read they didn't open transfer until morning of show so you still would have missed your transfer deadline (though I could be wrong on that).
The 9/8 ticket became available in my acct on 9/6, the day of the first show. I went to both.

Proposition Joe said:

But ultimately once you brought into question your ability to deliver tickets as promised, they moved forward.

So just because I was questioning my ability to provide the item before the deadline, they can up and cancel the contract before that deadline? Seems unlikely to me, but I'm not a lawyer. I guarantee this 'flipper' isn't paying a $700 fee for his lost sale.

Proposition Joe said:

But rest easy in knowing credit score is just the financial industry trying to sell you a different product. As long as it's not bad, it will matter very little in your life.
I have an 820+ credit score with no plans to buy a house/car or anything else in near future. I'm not paying $500.. they can put it on my credit (if they can even do that without an SSN number), I don't even care.
Proposition Joe
62strat said:

Quote:

I have an 820+ credit score with no plans to buy a house/car or anything else in near future. I'm not paying $500.. they can put it on my credit (if they can even do that without an SSN number), I don't even care.

If you bought a car you saw at the dealership and went to pick it up at your local dealership and they said "oh you'll actually need to drive to another state to pick it up, but it's there... trust us... here's the pickup location", would you be cool with that?
Punked Shank
AG
62strat said:

Quote:

And from what I read they didn't open transfer until morning of show so you still would have missed your transfer deadline (though I could be wrong on that).
The 9/8 ticket became available in my acct on 9/6, the day of the first show. I went to both.

Proposition Joe said:

But ultimately once you brought into question your ability to deliver tickets as promised, they moved forward.

So just because I was questioning my ability to provide the item before the deadline, they can up and cancel the contract before that deadline? Seems unlikely to me, but I'm not a lawyer. I guarantee this 'flipper' isn't paying a $700 fee for his lost sale.

Proposition Joe said:

But rest easy in knowing credit score is just the financial industry trying to sell you a different product. As long as it's not bad, it will matter very little in your life.

I would cancel as well if i wasnt guaranteed a ticket. Whats so hard about that?

Im not risking a maybe for something im willing to pay $500+ to see.

I think you should keep ignoring them since you dont care.
62strat
AG
Proposition Joe said:

You contacted the buyer (3 times) to tell him his mobile transfer ticket you might have to meet him outside the venue to give to him.

That's an easy cancel. I would have cancelled too. The guy paid $500 for a mobile transfer ticket, you were trying to change the terms of delivery.

(And all of this ignoring that Metallica went out of their way to tell anyone buying for this show that tickets would not transferable, and you still tried to sell a ticket as mobile transfer).
But he canceled before my deadline to transfer ticket. I had no opportunity to live up to my end of the contract. Had he not canceled, he would have gotten his ticket.

For your last clause there. .yeh yeh.. my bad for not researching. It was my first time using stubhub. I had no idea they were strict on no communication with buyers. I sold tons of tickets on ebay back in the day, and believe it or not, actually met up with buyers at venues (when there was no time to ship).

It all comes down to this: This buyer was backed by StubHub guarantee:
Quote:

• Get valid tickets to any event or your money back.
  • We go out of our way to find replacement tickets if there is an issue with your order.
  • A full refund if your event is cancelled and not rescheduled.

He had no reason to cancel before my deadline to transfer ticket, since he was guaranteed a valid ticket, or a replacement if there was an issue.

Had he not canceled, two things could have happened; there is an issue and I can't transfer, so then stubhub replaces his ticket, and has way more of a legit case to get money from me to fund that replacement ticket, or, I got the ticket on 9/6 and I'd transfer it to him, no issues.
Either way, he's fine. So it's on him that he canceled out of fear.
62strat
AG
Proposition Joe said:

62strat said:

Quote:

If you bought a car you saw at the dealership and went to pick it up at your local dealership and they said "oh you'll actually need to drive to another state to pick it up, but it's there... trust us... here's the pickup location", would you be cool with that?
Drive to another state? I was asking him to meet me outside the venue of the concert ticket he was buying. This is a poor comparison lol.

I'll have you know that a texagger paid me money on pure faith that I would be outside the chase center to give him a ticket. He traveled from Texas in order to do so as well. Again, I point to the stubhub guarantee.. the buyer was 100% protected if I didn't live up to my end of the deal. But it was canceled before my deadline to transfer.
62strat
AG
coastsrs said:

I would cancel as well if i wasnt guaranteed a ticket. Whats so hard about that?

He was guaranteed a ticket, by 9/7, through stubhub's guarantee protection. Say he shows up to chase center per my request, and I'm no where to be seen. He gets a replacement ticket, or a refund. he canceled on 8/29.

Problem is, he resold it, so he was getting scared of making his own deadline I'm sure!
Proposition Joe
62strat said:

Proposition Joe said:

62strat said:

Quote:

Drive to another state? I was asking him to meet me outside the venue of the concert ticket he was buying. This is a poor comparison lol.

So the guy who bought a mobile transfer ticket from you that you emailed him multiple times telling him you need to meet him outside of the venue instead.

You want that guy to go to a big time concert and sit outside waiting for you until show time hope you don't have another "oops my bad" ? Yeah, I'd pass on that too. Even if I was going to the show and not flipping it, why would I put my trust in the guy who already screwed up delivery method once? I'll just buy from someone else that knows what they are doing instead.

You tried to make a quick buck re-selling tickets but didn't read the fine print. It happens. Take your lumps and move on.
62strat
AG
Proposition Joe said:

62strat said:

Proposition Joe said:

62strat said:

Quote:

You tried to make a quick buck re-selling tickets but didn't read the fine print. It happens. Take your lumps and move on.
Turns out.. he did the same thing.

From seller policies:

Quote:

Speculative tickets - You must only list tickets that you already have in your possession ('In Hand') or that have been allocated to you. Speculative tickets or 'spec tickets' are tickets that are listed for sale or sold before the seller actually own s the tickets or before the tickets have been allocated to the seller. Listing or selling speculative tickets on StubHub is not allowed and may result in account suspension, fees, charges or other consequences. Sellers who regularly list tickets that are not in their possession and who are known to have listed speculative tickets in the past, may be required to provide an earlier In Hand Date than is normally required (for In Hand Date, see Section 2 below).
He violated this policy when he relisted mine for sale. The ticket was allocated to me by Ticketmaster, so I was not in violation by listing it for sale, but he listed a speculative ticket, which violates the policy.

Ehh. f-it. I made more money selling the ticket on texags anyway. Shoulda just done that to begin with.
Punked Shank
AG
62strat said:

coastsrs said:

He was guaranteed a ticket, by 9/7, through stubhub's guarantee protection. Say he shows up to chase center per my request, and I'm no where to be seen. He gets a replacement ticket, or a refund. he canceled on 8/29.

Problem is, he resold it, so he was getting scared of making his own deadline I'm sure!

Well im more willing to buy ag to ag than stubhub, especially if the SH seller started changing xfer means and methods.
Proposition Joe
62strat said:

Proposition Joe said:

62strat said:

Proposition Joe said:

62strat said:

Quote:

From seller policies:

Quote:

Speculative tickets - You must only list tickets that you already have in your possession ('In Hand') or that have been allocated to you. Speculative tickets or 'spec tickets' are tickets that are listed for sale or sold before the seller actually own s the tickets or before the tickets have been allocated to the seller. Listing or selling speculative tickets on StubHub is not allowed and may result in account suspension, fees, charges or other consequences. Sellers who regularly list tickets that are not in their possession and who are known to have listed speculative tickets in the past, may be required to provide an earlier In Hand Date than is normally required (for In Hand Date, see Section 2 below).
He violated this policy when he relisted mine for sale. The ticket was allocated to me by Ticketmaster, so I was not in violation by listing it for sale, but he listed a speculative ticket, which violates the policy.

Ehh. f-it. I made more money selling the ticket on texags anyway. Shoulda just done that to begin with.

He wasn't speculating. He had a contract from you to deliver it, he had paid for it.

But even if that weren't the case, you have absolutely no idea who his end buyer was -- it wasn't necessarily a SH buyer.
Hey Nav
AG
How were you able to list tickets on stubhub without a credit card?

I've never been able to do that.
62strat
AG
coastsrs said:

62strat said:

coastsrs said:

Well im more willing to buy ag to ag than stubhub, especially if the SH seller started changing xfer means and methods.
The issue is, why can a buyer just cancel a ticket in the first place? Seems too easy to cancel something you bought and then later regretted.

He should be paying the fee, not me. Stubhub has no record of conversation between the buyer and me (I asked guy on phone. He said the buyer simply told SH that I contacted them. Phone guy kept saying 'whatever you said to buyer I guess he didn't like).

So who is to say this guy just regretted his purchase (because maybe he tried flipping it and was forced to sell at a loss since demand went way down as time went on), so he tells SH, hey this guy contacted me, he violated policy, cancel it. He gets off scott free, and I'm stuck with a fee? And remember it wasn't cancelled sa soon as I emailed buyer. It was 7 weeks later.

That's bs. I don't think I clearly and undoubtedly violated a policy. Sure, I emailed him and asked him questions and probably put some doubt in his head, but I still had time to deliver and fulfill contract.
62strat
AG
Hey Nav said:

How were you able to list tickets on stubhub without a credit card?

I've never been able to do that.
You remove the credit card from your account. As a seller, I had no reason why I needed a card in my account, so I removed it.

Glad I did, cause they probably would have just charged my card.
DE4D
AG
Quote:

The issue is, why can a buyer just cancel a ticket in the first place? Seems too easy to cancel something you bought and then later regretted.

honestly he could have bought your ticket to keep the market at his desired price point and after his ticket sold backed out of your ticket. Thats what I would do if i had the capacity to control the pricing in a small market
Hey Nav
AG
Yes, that's why they require a credit card. It ensures you fulfill your end of the bargain.

I use stubhub because they guarantee to me, the buyer, that I will receive the tickets I paid for. If the seller does not perform their end of the deal, stubhub has to find me similar tickets.
ORAggieFan
Did you get any money from Stubhub?
62strat
AG
Proposition Joe said:

62strat said:

Proposition Joe said:

62strat said:

Proposition Joe said:

62strat said:

Quote:

From seller policies:

Quote:

He wasn't speculating. He had a contract from you to deliver it, he had paid for it.

But even if that weren't the case, you have absolutely no idea who his end buyer was -- it wasn't necessarily a SH buyer.
Yes, we did have a contract, and I had 7 more days to deliver it to him, but he canceled. That is his issue, not mine.

Stubhub clearly states they can't guarantee a valid ticket for entry. Only guarantee is a refund if you don't receive a ticket, or receive a fraudulent ticket, or guarantee an equal or better seat if you receive something different than you purchased. That is very much a speculative ticket. As we have clearly found out with my debacle. If you sell something you are not guaranteed to get, that is speculative.

Ticketmaster guarantees a valid ticket and entry into venue, every time, outside of an event cancel, in which you get a refund. I sold something I was guaranteed to get, outside of event cancellation which was covered by TM and SH.

62strat
AG
ORAggieFan said:

Did you get any money from Stubhub?
No. You don't get funds until you upload/transfer the ticket. Stubhub facilitates this both ways so buyer/seller are both protected to get what they deserve. As a buyer, I assume they charged him when he purchased it, hold funds during the interim period, then release funds to me once I upload ticket.
62strat
AG
sw@n said:

Quote:

honestly he could have bought your ticket to keep the market at his desired price point and after his ticket sold backed out of your ticket. Thats what I would do if i had the capacity to control the pricing in a small market

Good point as well.. considering I was selling below market value. I wanted a quick sale. Comparable seats to mine were 30-50% higher than my listing.
62strat
AG
Hey Nav said:

Yes, that's why they require a credit card. It ensures you fulfill your end of the bargain.

I use stubhub because they guarantee to me, the buyer, that I will receive the tickets I paid for. If the seller does not perform their end of the deal, stubhub has to find me similar tickets.
Right. So have you ever canceled a purchase before the seller's deadline to upload, just because you feared the seller wouldn't fulfill his end? Buyer knew tickets would be available to him 9/7 when he purchased on 7/9.

This is basically what has happened to me. I was not given until the deadline specified in my contract to deliver the ticket. It was canceled a week prior to this date.
Hey Nav
AG
Quote:

...because I'm getting emails from ticketmaster saying they are non transferable.
62- not trying to be argumentative - just looking at things from the other side. I'm confused by your original post (the part about non-transferable tickets).
babyshark
I exclusively buy and sell through ticketmaster resale. Third party sites aren't as reliable as they used to be.
62strat
AG
Hey Nav said:

Quote:

...because I'm getting emails from ticketmaster saying they are non transferable.
62- not trying to be argumentative - just looking at things from the other side. I'm confused by your original post (the part about non-transferable tickets).
So originally when tickets went on sale in May I think, it was known that the tickets would be delayed delivery (delivered on 9/6 for a 9/8 show, 100% electronic/mobile entry, no hard tickets), and there was word going around that the tickets would be non transferable. This was a very hot topic of debate and confusion in the Metallica forums. Ticketmaster, to most people's knowledge had never had tickets that couldn't be transferred.

Alas, a few days before the concert, the tickets not only showed up in everyone's TM account, but it WAS transferable.

During that period of waiting I contacted this seller informing him of this rumor that they wouldn't be transferable, and if this was the case, could he meet me at the venue (as I was still attending the show).

I never heard back from him, and a month later on 8/29, my order was canceled. This was before my deadline to transfer tickets (9/7), and before I received the tickets from TM to even know if they were transferable.
Old RV Ag
AG
OP - 25 posts on this thread alone. Have you seen someone for OCD?
Hey Nav
AG
Well, this whole thing is a bummer.

Sorry it got so complicated.

I will say that I've gone thru stubhub many many times for concert and sporting event tickets, as a buyer and a seller. Always worked for me.

I have been burned on Texags by someone with an Ag tag, unfortunately.
Post removed:
by user
Proposition Joe
Just to summarize:

Metallica in the email they sent out to fan club members literally said because of resale issues with Night #1 that Night #2 would be fan club members only, and non-transferable. They event went so far to say "if you want to let someone use their tickets, you'll have to send them your phone!" or something corny like that.

*You bought fan-club tickets that were stated non-transferable.

*Listed them on Stubhub as mobile transfer.

*Removed your credit card from your Stubhub account.

*Sold them on Stubhub as a "quick flip".

*Contacted Stubhub to see if you could change them to meet buyer at venue (despite the Seller Policies warning that "request a change to your sale doesn't mean it has to be accepted. StubHub may in its sole discretion cancel the order without further notice or payment to you.").

*Contacted the buyer multiple times directly to tell them you may not be able to mobile transfer but you'll "meet them at the venue". (despite the Seller Policies warning "you are not allowed to use the Stubhub Site or services to ... deliver tickets outside of Stubhub").

*Emailed the buyer a final ultimatum "if I don't hear back from you we may have an issue because I'm not 100% sure I can <deliver the tickets>"

And you're here wondering why both Stubhub and the buyer might not have the utmost confidence in you? If I am Stubhub or the end buyer I'm thinking "this guy is either a scam artist or really slow".
Hey Nav
AG
Quote:

Was it one of the Nichols clan?
Were these the Twins?
Post removed:
by user
62strat
AG
Proposition Joe said:

Just to summarize:

Metallica in the email they sent out to fan club members literally said because of resale issues with Night #1 that Night #2 would be fan club members only, and non-transferable. They event went so far to say "if you want to let someone use their tickets, you'll have to send them your phone!" or something corny like that.

*You bought fan-club tickets that were stated non-transferable.

*Listed them on Stubhub as mobile transfer.

*Removed your credit card from your Stubhub account.

*Sold them on Stubhub as a "quick flip".

*Contacted Stubhub to see if you could change them to meet buyer at venue (despite the Seller Policies warning that "request a change to your sale doesn't mean it has to be accepted. StubHub may in its sole discretion cancel the order without further notice or payment to you.").

*Contacted the buyer multiple times directly to tell them you may not be able to mobile transfer but you'll "meet them at the venue". (despite the Seller Policies warning "you are not allowed to use the Stubhub Site or services to ... deliver tickets outside of Stubhub").

*Emailed the buyer a final ultimatum "if I don't hear back from you we may have an issue because I'm not 100% sure I can <deliver the tickets>"

And you're here wondering why both Stubhub and the buyer might not have the utmost confidence in you? If I am Stubhub or the end buyer I'm thinking "this guy is either a scam artist or really slow".
Yep.. meanwhile, I finalize the sale of the ticket elsewhere after buyer cancels because he's scared he's not going to get tickets to fulfill his resale,, and on 9/6 I'm able to transfer the tickets to the new buyer.

laugh/cry face.

End of the day, the buyer backed out before I my deadline to deliver my end of the deal, so screw em.

The SH rep through my forum communication said 'If Ticketmaster does not have a transfer option by 9/7, then we can look at other options to help when that time comes.'

That's when I said, ok. I'll wait until then. This was July. Ordered was canceled 8/29. SH has possibly dealt with this before, so they likely have solutions. But the time never came to figure it out.

I'd go find my messages and preserve them for my case, but I can't log in to SH anymore.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.