Have you gotten any surprises from your DNA test?

32,427 Views | 170 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by AGBU94
84HartAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Susie Lee done fell in love;
She planned to marry Joe.
She was so happy 'bout it all
She told her Pappy so.

Pappy told her, "Susie gal,
You'll have to find another.
I'd just as soon yo' Ma don't know,
But Joe is yo' half brother."

So Susie put aside her Joe
And planned to marry Will.
But after telling Pappy this,
He said, "There's trouble still...

You cain't marry Will, my gal,
And please don't tell your Mother,
But Will and Joe and several mo'
I know is yo' half brother."

But Mama knew and said, "My child,
Just do what makes you happy.
Marry Will or marry Joe,
You ain't no kin to Pappy!"
dds08
AG
Look at all this. The Spirit of Truth, the Holy Spirit doing work!

This is a good omen!

Greater transparency is what we need. It keeps people honest. People will think twice about doing things they'd rather not later come to light.

Satan wants to keep people deaf, dumb, stupid and ignorant about their origins.

But seriously though, people don't know what huge disservice they're doing by not telling their young ones who they are or where they come from. There's even an app in Greenland that folks check to make sure they're not related before going on dates.

I've heard procreating with close relatives can be dangerous. You're basically playing with fire.
HarleySpoon
AG
DNA related: Thought I was mostly British....didn't have a clue I had any German. Turns out I'm quite the mutt with 29% German being largest component with an interesting 9% Jewish mixed in.

Non-DNA related: My mom was 43 in 1970 when she got a background check for a govt job and discovered her birth certificate didn't match her maiden name. Turns out she was born in a Salvation Army shelter under an assumed name while her dad was on the run from the federal authorities.

Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
I was raised by my aunt and uncle out in the desert. They told me I was an only child and my dad was a ship navigator. Took a DNA test, turns out I've got a twin sister who happens to be the only girl who ever kissed me and my dad is the 2nd biggest ******* in the universe!
Aggie Infantry
AG
Took it a while back (4 years?). Pure Northern European.
When the truth comes out, do not ask me how I knew.
Ask yourself why you did not.
Win At Life
AG
HarleySpoon said:

DNA related: Thought I was mostly British....didn't have a clue I had any German. Turns out I'm quite the mutt with 29% German being largest component with an interesting 9% Jewish mixed in.

Non-DNA related: My mom was 43 in 1970 when she got a background check for a govt job and discovered her birth certificate didn't match her maiden name. Turns out she was born in a Salvation Army shelter under an assumed name while her dad was on the run from the federal authorities.

British AND German? What a crazy, outlandish, international mixed mutt you are!
HarleySpoon
AG
Sorry if it wasn't clear. I thought I was mostly British. German was the largest but South American was greater than British and included material contributions from Asia and Jewish as well with no component greater than the 29% German.
Beer Baron
AG
No surprises in my DNA makeup really. All NW Europe and British Isles, with a notable lack of a drop of any native american blood despite my great grandfather's claims that his grandmother was basically Sacajawea.

My test did, however, confirm a deathbed confession by my grandmother that she'd had another child before she married my grandfather and gave her up for adoption, which my family has chosen to chalk up to senility rather than fact. It definitely happened, and I've got a new half-first cousin match to prove it.
Win At Life
AG
Beer Baron is a white guy? Why have I always had it in my mind you were a black dude?

And I use the word "dude" loosely (not that there's anything wrong with that).
Beer Baron
AG

Quote:

And I use the word "dude" loosely
That's an odd thing to say, ma'am.
Tatem
histag10 said:

Drawkcab said:

Why do you give a crap about her?

I never understood this. Don't know my biological father. Don't care to. I don't try to get to know random people I see on the street. How's he any different? Medical info would be the only thing worth knowing.

This! i'm adopted, and medical info is really the only thing I want to know.
I feel medical is a crap shot. No cancer in my family and my younger sister got breast cancer this year
Buck Turgidson
Seemingly evey white American family seems to have some BS rumor about an "Indian princess" back in the woodpile. I think they usually just make that **** up to explain why that one cousin has olive toned skin.
Buck Turgidson
BTW, I agree with the other posters who said you'd have to be pretty naive to send your DNA away along with your identity to some unaccountable entity. And even putting Big Brother concerns aside, I would think there's a LOT more downside potential than upside to any surprises about your identity.
The Fife
Summer update, no half siblings yet. From what I'm told there are probably a bunch so if your parents lived in the SA area in the late '70s go spit in a cup and send it off already.
Danny Vermin
You are truly an awful human being .
Drawkcab
No stories of celebrity relatives? You'd think these would be more common. I haven't taken a DNA test but George Strait is my fourth cousin once removed. Do these tests dig that deep?
chimpanzee
Buck Turgidson said:

BTW, I agree with the other posters who said you'd have to be pretty naive to send your DNA away along with your identity to some unaccountable entity. And even putting Big Brother concerns aside, I would think there's a LOT more downside potential than upside to any surprises about your identity.

Tend to agree, though it may be too late. The way I hear it, enough of our dumbass cousins have already done it such that they can triangulate back to you if need be. If you haven't seen your dumbass cousin F it up for everybody, you must be an orphan.
bakersholiday
AG
Just found out yesterday my Grandmother (in her 80's) received an email for a man stating she showed up as half-sister. She went online and sure enough it showed him as a close relative. They did some digging and come to find out they were neighbors when they were kids. Seems my Great-Grandfather was a little too neighborly. Not much drama since most everyone involve has already passed away and most of my grandmothers sibling have died as well. Crazy to find out something like this so late in life. I feel bad for the guy though, we went his whole life thinking one thing only to be shocked. Come to find out he is an Aggie as well and if I had to add someone to the DNA tree I'd choose an Aggie all day. Downside: guess I'm not the first Aggie in my family after all.
Ags4DaWin
The Fife said:

Gyrene said:

It is a very long story so I will just go with the Cliff's Notes:

Took DNA test
Got 3 new half siblings and a new father
Yay me!
Me too, there are a lot more people who find this sort of thing out than I would've expected!

Two half siblings and likely more out there, different biological father, and my (deceased) brother I grew up with is also a half sibling.

it has been a long standing theory that as much as 20% of kids historically are born to a different father than the man who married their mother. so not surprised at all
infinity ag
Texas_Aggie_12 said:

TxSquarebody said:

My wife is a dog lover. After getting her results, and seeing she was .3% Siberian, she called me to proclaim she was part Husky. I said, "Honey, your dad is Ecuadorian. The Siberian is likely from human migration over the land bridge between the Asian continent and North American." Even the smartest woman I know had a dumb moment.

The smartest woman you know thought she was part dog? Surely I'm reading this wrong? I hope...

No, it means she likes doggie.
combat wombat™
AG
Burdizzo said:

I have read several articles the last few months about people that do the 23&Me thing only to find out they have a half-sibling living nearby. New York Times also had an article recently about someone who was fathered by a sperm donor and has tracked down about two dozen half-siblings. Some times people find out stuff they don't want to know. What are your stories?

Welp, it literally just happened to me. But not nearby. Evidently, Dad sowed some wild oats in Barbados while he was a Marine.
Anchorhold
Rule 1 on the sister
combat wombat™
AG
I think that only applies to dudes. I'm not a dude.
BBRex
AG
BBRex said:

I got to be the surprise in someone else's family tree. I always knew I was adopted, and I sort of knew the back story my adopted parents told me (dad banged wife's sister, and oops ...). I was told I was of Irish and Cherokee ancestry by my adopted parents, but just wanted to be sure. The test showed I was more English than Irish, so that was wrong. I'm about 18% Native American, but they can't really tell you anything more specific.

So I had a couple of close relatives show up maybe a year after I took the test. On a whim, I decided to reach out to a cousin after trying to do some digging on my own. The person I talked to put me in touch with an aunt, who I guess it the matriarch of the family. They definitely didn't know about me. We were able to piece together who my father probably was (he's deceased). He did have a Native American wife (also deceased), who had four sisters, so there's that. They are Cherokee. And I have found links to her family in other folks I'm matched with family trees. I never really planned to track all that down, but it was sort of interesting.

I got to meet a cousin and an aunt over the Christmas holiday. The aunt was able to confirm the story I heard about my biological parents. Her and my biological mom were close, and she was the only one besides my mom who new she was pregnant and had a baby she put up for adoption. Crazy stuff.

Oh, I'm definitely part Cherokee. Before her death, my biological mom even worked in the tribal offices.
3rd Platoon
AG
My DNA result was a little surprising considering how "guerito" I am. I confirmed that I come from a very, very long line of former Spanish colonists and their descendants that settled in present-day Zapata County, Texas, around 1750 on my father's side. There was some mixing with local indigenous peoples, and most Latin Americans have at least some mestizo in them. I thought that I had very little Amerindian; I am Hispanic on both sides of my family, but I look like every other white dude out there.

My results came back 77% Iberian (Spanish/Portuguese) with a northern Spanish predominance. That makes complete sense. I also came back 13% Amerindian. I am the epitome of New World Spanish Criollo. The remainder was a mix of Irish, French, Scottish, and West Saharan African (like 1%).

My mother's side is very European-centric, but her grandparents left Spain and settled in Jalisco, Mexico. Both of my grandparents were raised in that state, and their respective families emigrated to the USA in the 1920s. My maternal grandfather was a mariachi who played the guitar and accordion. You'd never know that any of that side of my family is Mexican otherwise. That said, my mom didn't speak a word of English until she was in 1st grade down in the RGV of South Texas.

I'm a former Valley Rat. I'm guero, but a valley rat nonetheless. I left the Valley for A&M in 1995 and haven't looked back. I'm now a DFW dork.
Lex
I already knew a parent was adopted. And so I wanted to know what I am. No story here, yet.
Big Cat `93
AG
No Native American genes, which is strange because I have Choctaw ancestors on both sides of my family.

Also, I'm really Scottish, and we all know that if it's not Scottish, it's crap.
Talon2DSO
AG
I'm 33% Native American. That was a shocker to me.

Ol_Ag_02
AG
Talon2DSO said:

I'm 33% Native American. That was a shocker to me.

Explains all the drinking.
wbt5845
AG
Sounds the thing these DNA tests are best at is showing your grandmaws were sloots.
AGBU94
AG
We did the 23 and me test for my wife a few years ago. She did not know her father, and had no desire to know him. We had a name, but the name was a basic name. There were several people by the same name in Northern Indiana alone.

We get the results back, and the results show up several first and second cousins that were unknown at the time. I cross referenced those with Facebook and over a few hours, I was able to find and confirm her father. He had been looking for my wife for years, but he did not have the first name right. They have met several times, and have a pretty close relationship now (considering the fact that she wasn't going to ever meet him. She has two half brothers, and my sons have a grandfather that they never knew.

Over the last two years, we have discovered that her mother had a half brother that we did not know about, and a cousin has reached out as a result of an Uncle's affair while stationed in Germany. This is all on my wife's side of the family.

I refuse to take the test, because I do not want anyone contacting me on Facebook and calling me dad.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.