Have you gotten any surprises from your DNA test?

32,637 Views | 170 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by AGBU94
Burdizzo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have read several articles the last few months about people that do the 23&Me thing only to find out they have a half-sibling living nearby. New York Times also had an article recently about someone who was fathered by a sperm donor and has tracked down about two dozen half-siblings. Some times people find out stuff they don't want to know. What are your stories?
BeastmodeAg
AG
I don't trust people with my DNA.
boboguitar
AG
No because I'm not dumb enough to give a private corp my DNA.
TxSquarebody
My wife is a dog lover. After getting her results, and seeing she was .3% Siberian, she called me to proclaim she was part Husky. I said, "Honey, your dad is Ecuadorian. The Siberian is likely from human migration over the land bridge between the Asian continent and North American." Even the smartest woman I know had a dumb moment.
Texas_Aggie_12
AG
TxSquarebody said:

My wife is a dog lover. After getting her results, and seeing she was .3% Siberian, she called me to proclaim she was part Husky. I said, "Honey, your dad is Ecuadorian. The Siberian is likely from human migration over the land bridge between the Asian continent and North American." Even the smartest woman I know had a dumb moment.

The smartest woman you know thought she was part dog? Surely I'm reading this wrong? I hope...
PigInABlanket
AG
I only give me DNA to cute brunettes with nice tatas. Haven't been let down yet.
TxSquarebody
Absolute brilliant mind...says dumb things from time to time.
Old Tom Morris
Not dumb enough to ship off my DNA, but do have a friend that found out her father (deceased) was not her father. She finds she's related to all these random people and is like "mom, what's the deal?" Yikes.

Real dad is dead too (this friend is late 40s) so she's not really looking to reunite or anything. But just asking about the situation at all turned her mom and older sister on her. Ugly situation.
toucan82
I'm a Vulcan
Liquid Wrench
I found out my real father is Ed Gein. I've been meaning to ask my mom about that, but we always end up talking about something else and I forget.
Shakes the Clown
toucan82 said:

I'm a Vulcan

Toucan, you Vulcan bastage!
B-1 83
AG
The Bt and Roundup Ready traits were a surprise.
The Fife
Actual answer - I found out that my biological father was some guy I'd never heard of, and that my parents planned on covering the entire thing up forever. It would've been nice if they'd said something at some point because there's all kinds of bad medical stuff on my dad's side that's now completely irrelevant.
PoohAh97
AG
My tests indicate it shows up in black light.
AggieLumberjack
AG
My dad's mother left after he was born and just disappeared. It was a big family secret that no one ever talked about. Sixty years later and my dad does the DNA test and it comes back 25% Asian. We figured it was a mistake. Three years later (this January) he gets a hit from someone that could be a 1st cousin. Through that connection I found out my dad's mom was half Chinese and still alive in Phoenix. I showed up at her door back in April and she denied it even though it was confirmed by her brother. I send her cards about once a month and am determined to break her down eventually.
shafter
AG
One of the executives at my company did it and found out he had a 30 year old son he never knew about.
Burdizzo
AG
B-1 83 said:

I hope you didn't spread those genetics without the proper licensing from the IP owner.
Drawkcab
Why do you give a crap about her?

I never understood this. Don't know my biological father. Don't care to. I don't try to get to know random people I see on the street. How's he any different? Medical info would be the only thing worth knowing.
Tatem
They can match adoptee with adoptive parents
They keep their database forever

I hope one day my baby Tatem doesn't want to do it. She has like 7 siblings that I know of
B-1 83
AG
Burdizzo said:

B-1 83 said:

I hope you didn't spread those genetics without the proper licensing from the IP owner.
Worse yet, I kept my kids, and they've reproduced. Bayer is going to sue my ass off!
Drawkcab
Wrong thread
goodAg80
AG
I'm 1/4 related to this guy.

Duncan Idaho
AggieLumberjack said:

My dad's mother left after he was born and just disappeared. It was a big family secret that no one ever talked about. Sixty years later and my dad does the DNA test and it comes back 25% Asian. We figured it was a mistake. Three years later (this January) he gets a hit from someone that could be a 1st cousin. Through that connection I found out my dad's mom was half Chinese and still alive in Phoenix. I showed up at her door back in April and she denied it even though it was confirmed by her brother. I send her cards about once a month and am determined to break her down eventually.

This is just messed up. Let the old bat be.
Old RV Ag
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

AggieLumberjack said:

Wow, I agree with Duncan. Let the lady be - sending her cards is one thing but to have the attitude of "to break her down...." is creepy.
Old RV Ag
AG
shafter said:

One of the executives at my company did it and found out he had a 30 year old son he never knew about.
Well, his estate planning just got more complicated.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
boboguitar said:

Are you afraid they're going to clone you and open a theme park of you's?
tmaggies
AG
goodAg80 said:

I'm 1/4 related to this guy.

Ohh your related to that Houston Congressman?
Old Tom Morris
AggieLumberjack said:

Just be thankful that you are probably better at math (although worse at driving) than you otherwise would have been and leave the old lady alone. She's a genetic material contributor, not your grandma.
Burdizzo
AG
Wrong Asians.
Old RV Ag
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

boboguitar said:

Are you afraid they're going to clone you and open a theme park of you's?
You do know that law enforcement can access it without a warrant as you gave it freely. Mistakes are made by law enforcement all the time - do you want to help them increase their chances of making a mistake. They've also used these results in cold cases as they can find out someone wanted is a relative and then catch them.
Stupe
S
Texas_Aggie_12 said:

TxSquarebody said:

The smartest woman you know thought she was part dog? Surely I'm reading this wrong? I hope...
Plan B
Old RV Ag said:

Duncan Idaho said:

AggieLumberjack said:

Wow, I agree with Duncan. Let the lady be - sending her cards is one thing but to have the attitude of "to break her down...." is creepy.
Totally disagree.

Kick your grandma in the nuts as often as possible, but make sure to send her normal grandma stuff also to even it out.
NoahAg
AggieLumberjack said:

ROR!
Beer Baron
AG
No fun secret relatives, but I had a lot less Irish than I thought I would given the main family name on my mom's side.
aglaohfour
AG
I want to do it because I'm curious, but I have qualms about giving access to my DNA.

I'm also hesitant because I have a friend who did it and discovered that her biological mother was a distant cousin. Her parents planned to never tell her that she was adopted and it caused her a lot more pain than if they'd told her from the beginning. I don't think there are any secrets like that in my family, but why kick the hornet's nest?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.