Have you gotten any surprises from your DNA test?

32,673 Views | 170 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by AGBU94
permabull
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
EastSideAg2002
PigInABlanket said:

I only give me DNA to cute brunettes with nice tatas. Haven't been let down yet.

Scottish or Irish? Or a pirate fetish?
aggieforester05
AG
I've been told my whole life that my great grandmother was half cherokee indian. My DNA tests showed I was 69% Irish/Scottish, and 31% English/Northern European. So pretty much as honky as you can get. I'm not sure I believe it, because I recall being shown a picture of my great grandmother when I was young and she definitely looked native American from what I remember. It did correctly identify one of my second cousins as my second cousin, but that was the only family member I recognized.

My wife was 81% native american, 6% African, and the rest was a mixture of Irish/Scottish, Italian, and Spanish.
george_92
shafter said:

One of the executives at my company did it and found out he had a 30 year old son he never knew about.

A damn good reason why I will never take one.
basic8
More unintended consequences and hurt feelings than good seems to come out of family past that was intended to stay past.
jagvocate
AG
I learned that I have small amount of Mongolian DNA and that I'm much more English than expected.

There's also a retired art teacher from San Marcos showing up as a relative who was, upon checking out her Facebook profile, adopted, so my grandfather's family (poor Smith family sharecroppers) has a little intrigue in its past.

C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
The Fife
jagvocate said:

I learned that I have small amount of Mongolian DNA and that I'm much more English than expected.

There's also a retired art teacher from San Marcos showing up as a relative who was, upon checking out her Facebook profile, adopted, so my grandfather's family (poor Smith family sharecroppers) has a little intrigue in its past.
Which school? I probably knew her.
Jack Cheese
AG
aggieforester05 said:

I've been told my whole life that my great grandmother was half cherokee indian. My DNA tests showed I was 69% Irish/Scottish, and 31% English/Northern European. So pretty much as honky as you can get. I'm not sure I believe it, because I recall being shown a picture of my great grandmother when I was young and she definitely looked native American from what I remember. It did correctly identify one of my second cousins as my second cousin, but that was the only family member I recognized.

My wife was 81% native american, 6% African, and the rest was a mixture of Irish/Scottish, Italian, and Spanish.

Elizabeth? Is that you?
TPS_Report
AG
Jack Cheese said:

aggieforester05 said:

Elizabeth? Is that you?
My mom had always said we had Native American blood. I looked at our family and said, "Ummm... we're the whitest people alive. No way we are part Native American."

My mom got a DNA test and sure enough, not a drop of Native American blood. It's always been interesting to me that so many people try to claim Native American descent. On the bright side though, my mom's DNA is out there to be used by governments, private corporations, etc.
Dad
AG
aggieforester05 said:

My wife was 81% native american, 6% African, and the rest
was a mixture of Irish/Scottish, Italian, and Spanish.

Is your wife Mexican? I'm just wondering if that is the DNA profile of someone that claims to be Mexican or some other latin country or native american.

I know someone that had the same story where the great grandma was full blooded cherokee and came back 0% Native and all European. This guy is a really dark white guy so I wonder if someone assumed it and passed it along as the truth or if the test is just wrong.
HarleySpoon
AG
Deleted. Chickens don't wear nylons. STAFF
aggieforester05
AG
aggie-master said:

aggieforester05 said:

Is your wife Mexican? I'm just wondering if that is the DNA profile of someone that claims to be Mexican or some other latin country or native american.

I know someone that had the same story where the great grandma was full blooded cherokee and came back 0% Native and all European. This guy is a really dark white guy so I wonder if someone assumed it and passed it along as the truth or if the test is just wrong.
Yeah, she grew up in Veracruz, Mexico, so that mixture makes a lot of sense based on the history of the area.

That's what I'm wondering as well, because it's been talked about in my family since I was a child. The picture I saw looked like an elderly native American woman. I need to try to see if one of my cousins still has the pic.
Old RV Ag
AG
aggie-master said:

aggieforester05 said:

This is what is always so full of it. I've heard so many people claim to have Native American blood and they ALWAYS say they're part Cherokee. Never part Cheyenne, never part Mohawk, never part Navajo, etc. I know the history of the Cherokee so there may have been slight more inclination for mixing with whites, but seriously? Only Cherokee? I think everyone just likes saying Cherokee.
Duncan Idaho
The Cherokee were pretty liberal with getting people on the rolls for a while. I was brought up being told I was part Cherokee, so you can imagine my disgust when I found out that the "Cherokee " great grandfather was just some filthy Scottish dude that was "adopted" by a Cherokee after his parents were killed.

I mean i went from being something kick ass like Cherokee to not even being a real white person but Scottish. Oh well, inguess it is better than finding out I was irish.
histag10
AG
aggie-master said:

aggieforester05 said:

Believe it or not, a lot of Europeans have dark skin (hence the term black dutch).
jbryan10
AG
Very surprised at how little Irish and French (3% each), but I'll still claim the 77% UK overlaps Ireland and France so those parts got lumped in there. Neat to find out about the Swedish though!

Oh, and there's the surprise half-brother, he's a good guy. (and even more surprised he was from mom...)
HarleySpoon
AG
Old RV Ag said:

aggie-master said:

aggieforester05 said:

This is what is always so full of it. I've heard so many people claim to have Native American blood and they ALWAYS say they're part Cherokee. Never part Cheyenne, never part Mohawk, never part Navajo, etc. I know the history of the Cherokee so there may have been slight more inclination for mixing with whites, but seriously? Only Cherokee? I think everyone just likes saying Cherokee.

A huge number of Cherokee disappeared on the trail of tears and blended into the woods. My grandmother looked 100% Native American and was likely 50%...born in 1883 with no birth certificate or record of who her mother was. Lot of Cherokees settled in wooded areas that reminded them of "home."
Satellite of Love
I am 100% pure bred European!! I have a higher percent of Neanderthal dna compared to the most.
bad_teammate said on 2/10/21:
Just imagine how 1/6 would've played out if DC hadn't had such strict gun laws.

Two people starred his post as of the time of this signature. Those 3 people are allowed to vote in the US.
lexofer
AG
I found out my mother was adopted when I was 18. My mom was super serious and about to cry when she told me thinking I'd be mad. She asked if I had any questions. Only thing I asked was if my bio grandparents were rich. She said no and I haven't really thought about them since. They aren't my grandparents to me.
chimpanzee
Old RV Ag said:

aggie-master said:

aggieforester05 said:

I tend to agree, though there may be something to it regionally. My dad and his dad claimed a 100% Cherokee female direct ancestor many times, but no one ever produced any documentation. It might have been the socially acceptable shorthand in certain circles at some point in history.

Imagine having a literal Comanche mother-in-law in the 1800's rather than the metaphorical type one might deal with today.

Old RV Ag
AG
chimpanzee said:

Old RV Ag said:

aggie-master said:

aggieforester05 said:

I tend to agree, though there may be something to it regionally. My dad and his dad claimed a 100% Cherokee female direct ancestor many times, but no one ever produced any documentation. It might have been the socially acceptable shorthand in certain circles at some point in history.

Imagine having a literal Comanche mother-in-law in the 1800's rather than the metaphorical type one might deal with today.

Can you imagine the temper of a cross between a Comanche and an Irish?
Burdizzo
AG
Old RV Ag said:

chimpanzee said:

Old RV Ag said:

aggie-master said:

aggieforester05 said:

Can you imagine the temper of a cross between a Comanche and an Irish?

He'd be too drunk to fight.
Rusty GCS
AG
I found out I'm just really white. I was something like 35% French, 31% English, 34% Irish. Not a trace of anything else
JD Shellnut
AG
Rusty GCS said:

I found out I'm just really white. I was something like 35% French, 31% English, 34% Irish. Not a trace of anything else

Beer Baron
AG
My great-grandfather swore up and down that his grandmother was "full-blooded Cherokee." Somehow that DNA disappeared without a trace within four generations. Crazy how that happened. I was 91% British and "Northwest European," whatever that is. Not sure what they lump into that category. Then 7% Irish and apparently at some point a Finn got some action for the last 2.
Rusty GCS
AG
Oddly enough I'm pretty tan with naturally curly hair. Was really looking forward to using my "expanded vocabulary" while singing rap music.

Nope.
LupinusTexensis
My grandpa received a blood transfusion from a black man after being injured in WWII. He always joked that he was part African American.

My uncle took the test and it showed that we are very high in neanderthal.
Duncan Idaho
LupinusTexensis said:

My grandpa received a blood transfusion from a black man after being injured in WWII. He always joked that he was part African American.

Fake news...no way a WWII vet would call someone an African American.

ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
No, but I knew this one girl who was particularly talented at giving mouth hugs who got a big DNA surprise from me.
LupinusTexensis
Duncan Idaho said:

LupinusTexensis said:

Fake news...no way a WWII vet would call someone an African American.

I'm happy to say my grandpa got less racist as he got older instead of the most usually route of more racist.
Shakes the Clown
blindey said:

No, but I knew this one girl who was particularly talented at giving mouth hugs who got a big DNA surprise from me.

Nice!
Dad
AG
aggieforester05 said:

aggie-master said:

aggieforester05 said:

Yeah, she grew up in Veracruz, Mexico, so that mixture makes a lot of sense based on the history of the area.

That's what I'm wondering as well, because it's been talked about in my family since I was a child. The picture I saw looked like an elderly native American woman. I need to try to see if one of my cousins still has the pic.

It's crazy how Mexican DNA is all over the place. My dad did it and came back with the same places as your wife but the percentages were a lot different and he was 75% Euro and the rest native and a tiny bit African.

I wonder if the African in Mexicans comes from escaped slaves or if the people that left southern Spain already had it in them.
Drawkcab
Old RV Ag said:

aggie-master said:

aggieforester05 said:

I'm half Cherokee and Choctaw. My baby, she's a Chippewa. She's one of a kind.
immortal_kumquat
AggieLumberjack said:

You gotta love Texags. I think it started as wanting to know why she would just abandon my dad and uncle after 7+ years with my granddad. I ended up finding out all I needed from her brother. She was basically a ho. I'll probably let it go now but was trying to give her a chance to reconcile before she kicked the bucket.

Sorry your (biological) grandma is a ho.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.