Turnpike Troubadours

43,571 Views | 177 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by SchnauzerMom
austinrb10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sarcasm; sorry that was missed
one MEEN Ag
AG
Wolfpac 08 said:

They headlined the Big Tent in Steamboat back in 15 or 16 and he was worse than this. Had to stop singing half way through every song bc he was too effed up to remember the words. Luckily 2500 people knew every word and carried them to the end.

I thought his bass player was going to rip his head off that night.

Pretty sure they cancelled like 4 shows after that to try to get Evan some help. Obviously didn't work.
I remember that concert. Felker walked off stage 45 minutes in after someone threw a potato at him. Mr. Dickson himself was apparently in the VIP section, told them you are playing for an hour and they went back on. Turnpike was not back the next year.

atmtws
AG
I was going to buy tickets to their show tonight at White Oak since its within walking distance. Decided against it after seeing this thread.

White Oak just posted on their FB that the show is cancelled. Perhaps there was an intervention?
Aero95
AG
Quote:

This weekends shows are unfortunately not going to happen for Turnpike Troubadours. On behalf of the band we apologize for all the cancellations previously and this weekend. We are saddened by the situation and want you all to know we tried our best to stay positive during this stressful time. However, we have been standing at the crossroads, optimistically in hopes of healing, but it was not to be. We ask for your prayers and support as it is our hope that our brother receives the encouragement and help he needs.

Thank you all for the sold out shows, the memories and support.

Refunds for the show tonight will be made at point of purchase.

Please keep us in your prayers.
mike_ags_fan12
Such a damn shame. Hoping he receives the help he needs
Aero95
AG
mike_ags_fan12 said:

Such a damn shame. Hoping he receives the help he needs

Me too. Wife and I both love them and hope he gets straight soon for his own sake and life, and to give us many more years of great music.
BenFiasco14
AG
one MEEN Ag said:

Wolfpac 08 said:

They headlined the Big Tent in Steamboat back in 15 or 16 and he was worse than this. Had to stop singing half way through every song bc he was too effed up to remember the words. Luckily 2500 people knew every word and carried them to the end.

I thought his bass player was going to rip his head off that night.

Pretty sure they cancelled like 4 shows after that to try to get Evan some help. Obviously didn't work.
I remember that concert. Felker walked off stage 45 minutes in after someone threw a potato at him. Mr. Dickson himself was apparently in the VIP section, told them you are playing for an hour and they went back on. Turnpike was not back the next year.

They were banned from Steamboat after that I think. And told they couldn't come back till Evan sobers up
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
Truman2001
AG
Posted last night
This weekends shows are unfortunately not going to happen for Turnpike Troubadours. On behalf of the band we apologize for all the cancellations previously and this weekend. Thank you all for the sold out shows, the memories and support. Please keep us in your prayers
emando2000
AG
Randy & Wade are playing in his spot for Sunday night at Lonestar Jam
zephyr88
AG
Ultimately, Felker is responsible for his own actions. However, a sick person can't make good decisions. The dude must be surrounded by leeching enablers. Where is his family? Where is his "brothers" in the band?
BrazosDog02
AG
zephyr88 said:

Ultimately, Felker is responsible for his own actions. However, a sick person can't make good decisions. The dude must be surrounded by leeching enablers. Where is his family? Where is his "brothers" in the band?

Edit: wrong icon.

The same place they were for one of my parents who was an alcoholic. They are there. Surrounded. Offering help. Trying to help. But they will not do it forever. There is only one person that can actually do the work and fix the problem. In my case, that person pushed everyone away to the point that they are now consumed with alcoholism, depression, debt, and have no one left to help.

I hope for everyone's sake Felker will welcome the help. If not, we all know how this ends.
aTm2004
AG
Yep. My uncle died at 47 of cirrhosis of the liver from years of alcoholism.
toolshed
AG
A class mate of my brother just passed from it at 40 or 41.
n_touch
Almost sounds like they are breaking up
CKeith21
AG
Real sad situation. Was supposed to see them in July with Robert Earl Keen. I remember seeing them at the Washington County Fair in Brenham 6 or 7 years ago and Felker was clearly on something then. Plus they cracked a fresh bottle of Jim Beam to start the show and it was gone by the end. They still put on a hell of a show then.
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
Finally watched the clip from their performance. The last song long hot summer days was horrific. I'm surprised the band even got on stage with him. Hope he gets the help he needs. What a shame
Scoopen Skwert
AG
I'm sure he had ptsd from his job.
OregonAggie
AG
BrazosDog02 said:

zephyr88 said:

Edit: wrong icon.

The same place they were for one of my parents who was an alcoholic. They are there. Surrounded. Offering help. Trying to help. But they will not do it forever. There is only one person that can actually do the work and fix the problem. In my case, that person pushed everyone away to the point that they are now consumed with alcoholism, depression, debt, and have no one left to help.

I hope for everyone's sake Felker will welcome the help. If not, we all know how this ends.

I fully agree with your post. We have a couple alcoholics in our family and I've come to the same conclusion: they have to commit to helping themselves or it just isn't going to fix itself. At some point you have to just stop helping and hope that they hit rock bottom and wake up. Many do but many also don't.

I pray he finally decides to fix himself. I guess we'll see.
fta09
AG
Yes, the addict/alcoholic has to make the choice for himself. But if those others guys are truly his "brothers" and care about the future of the band, they will join him in sobriety and help him with this transition. As I posted before, this is not the first time they have put something like this out on social media and their next performance you see lots of people with a drink in their hand. Not the best environment for someone in early sobriety.
jh0400
AG
This is what surprised me the most about their HLSR show. They had just come off of a string of cancellations due to Evan's issues, and the rest of the band was on stage drinking beers like everything was great.
LSB_2002
AG
mike_ags_fan12 said:

swimmerbabe11 said:

emando2000 said:

Ornlu said:

We're Jason Boland, Stony LaRue, or Mike McClure ever this bad? They've all gotten sober, but I don't remember any stories or videos that made me seriously concerned for their well-being.

Not gonna name which one but one of the guys you listed had a bad cocaine problem.

I'm 90% sure Mike McClure has talked about having had a cocaine problem when he was in the Great Divide. He's been sober forever now though. Pretty sure Stoney was doing coke too.

I opened up for Mike McClure bout 5 years ago at a private party. He was just chilling. Don't remember him drinking but there were some devil lettuce getting passed
Have Mike McClure Band playing this Friday at a big party we're hosting! Should be lots of fun. Last time he was out, Miller Light was his drink of choice and it smelled awfully skunky around his van! Still puts on an awesome show!
MAS444
AG
They all smoke weed and do coke. HTH
one MEEN Ag
AG
fta09 said:

Yes, the addict/alcoholic has to make the choice for himself. But if those others guys are truly his "brothers" and care about the future of the band, they will join him in sobriety and help him with this transition. As I posted before, this is not the first time they have put something like this out on social media and their next performance you see lots of people with a drink in their hand. Not the best environment for someone in early sobriety.

Yeah how do you even manage sobriety in a situation like this? Your job affords you odd hours of down time so its easy to turn to drinking/smoking to pass the time. Also, your buddies are there too and more than happy to drink and smoke with you. Your job is to perform in front of a crowd that is also boozing up, and its easier to join along as well.

So if you've got a problem, and the other band mates don't - what do you do during the day? Or before/after shows? You can't easily escape this group of enablers, and the entertainer's schedule doesn't make it easy to find a support group either.

This usually doesn't end well.
Scoopen Skwert
AG
MAS444 said:

They all smoke weed and do coke. HTH

Even St. George was a fan of the "dust."
Wolfpac 08
AG
one MEEN Ag said:

fta09 said:

Yeah how do you even manage sobriety in a situation like this? Your job affords you odd hours of down time so its easy to turn to drinking/smoking to pass the time. Also, your buddies are there too and more than happy to drink and smoke with you. Your job is to perform in front of a crowd that is also boozing up, and its easier to join along as well.

So if you've got a problem, and the other band mates don't - what do you do during the day? Or before/after shows? You can't easily escape this group of enablers, and the entertainer's schedule doesn't make it easy to find a support group either.

This usually doesn't end well.

A friend of mine is married to John Jeffers of Whiskey Myers. They were opening for Jason Isbell a few years back and after they played, we saw them in the crowd. I asked why they weren't back stage watching the show and she said that Jason doesn't allow anyone to drink backstage at any of his shows. Said it was a hard rule and there are no exceptions.

After everything he went through with Driveby Truckers, it's amazing that he's been able to stay sober.
jh0400
AG
Not that I doubt you heard that, but Amanda Shires had a glass of wine onstage with her when they played ACL Live a couple of years ago. Maybe he softened his stance a bit with her.
Wolfpac 08
AG
In the sake of transparency, it was 5 or 6 years ago and I was quite drunk.

She could have been full of it, but I can't imagine why the entire band was in the crowd instead of backstage. I suppose they could have exaggerated the strictness of the rule.
Nagler
AG
It's probably easier to ignore a glass of wine while you're playing than beer/ whiskey while you're sitting around hanging out. At least it would be for me.
mike_ags_fan12
From their Facebook page:

Quote:

To Our Fans,

We want to again apologize for the abrupt cancellations of our shows this past weekend. We can assure you that the situation was not in our control.

We want nothing more than the opportunity for to heal, and to not put all of you through this ever again. To have a chance for any of this, we need to cancel all of our remaining tour dates. Turnpike Troubadours will go on an indefinite hiatus until a time we feel that everyone is of strong mind, body and spirit and can deliver what our fans deserve.

Refunds for all scheduled shows can be made at point of purchase.
To all of you who have given us so much, we thank you from the bottom of our hearts. You believed in us, you raised us up, you stuck by us and you gave us more unconditional love than any band could ask for. We are humbled.

We ask that you please keep us in your thoughts and prayers as we work to support and encourage.
Thank you all for everything. We love you!
one MEEN Ag
AG
mike_ags_fan12 said:

Quote:

To Our Fans,

We want to again apologize for the abrupt cancellations of our shows this past weekend. We can assure you that the situation was not in our control.

We want nothing more than the opportunity for to heal, and to not put all of you through this ever again. To have a chance for any of this, we need to cancel all of our remaining tour dates. Turnpike Troubadours will go on an indefinite hiatus until a time we feel that everyone is of strong mind, body and spirit and can deliver what our fans deserve.

To all of you who have given us so much, we thank you from the bottom of our hearts. You believed in us, you raised us up, you stuck by us and you gave us more unconditional love than any band could ask for. We are humbled.

We ask that you please keep us in your thoughts and prayers as we work to support and encourage.

I'm going to out on a limb and say they're done. Felker can't stay sober and he is the centerpiece of the band. The rest of the band has to do something to make money. I don't think they will tour again.

The Lost
one MEEN Ag said:

mike_ags_fan12 said:

Quote:

To Our Fans,

I'm going to out on a limb and say they're done. Felker can't stay sober and he is the centerpiece of the band. The rest of the band has to do something to make money. I don't think they will tour again.

Wouldn't shock me at all too sadly. Sucks its not a "random guitarist" instead. It being evan pretty much kills the band since he's probably the one thats most irreplaceable.

Glad i saw them last year at red rocks and didn't have tickets to this years show, even though it was going to have solid support from pat green, parker mccolum and american aquarium. Going to Cody Jinks instead.
Schall 02
AG
The Lost said:

one MEEN Ag said:

mike_ags_fan12 said:

Quote:

To Our Fans,

Wouldn't shock me at all too sadly. Sucks its not a "random guitarist" instead. It being evan pretty much kills the band since he's probably the one thats most irreplaceable.

Glad i saw them last year at red rocks and didn't have tickets to this years show, even though it was going to have solid support from pat green, parker mccolum and american aquarium. Going to Cody Jinks instead.

Agreed, but I thought they disappointed a little at Red Rocks. Randy Rogers Band was better.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
Well, just got the email. They're officially out for the Whitewater Amphitheatre shows in July.
CKeith21
AG
Yep bummer. Had a group of about 8 going to that. We've rented a house and everything already. Gonna wait and see who they replace them with and decide if we want to go or not.
TXAG 05
AG
CKeith21 said:

Yep bummer. Had a group of about 8 going to that. We've rented a house and everything already. Gonna wait and see who they replace them with and decide if we want to go or not.

Shouldn't be surprised they cancelled. Why wouldn't you still go, no matter who they get? REK is Worth the trip alone.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.