Greeks At It Again

3,098 Views | 77 Replies | Last: 22 yr ago by
Jay Omega
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Oh I thought we were talking about Geeks.
RAT90
AG
http://texags.com/main/forum.reply.asp?topic_id=136877&forum_id=12
oneaggie
Can someone provide a complete list of activities that can not be conflicted with in order to maintains one's Aggieness?
Keegan99
AG
Mrs. Goose - if their 'hands were tied' as you imply, then why did the council even have a vote?

Furthermore, if the nationals had a requried event that fell on April 21st, what would the sororities choose?
Christi '97
Though I chose not to rush, as that's not really my thing, I can vouch that Mrs. Goose's sorority was good about attending things. (She's my old roommate).

Mrs. Goose - I knew you'd get sucked into texags at some point.
Rollergirl
I could personally give a flying **** about this kind of topic. If someone wants to join a sorority or fraternity then that is their business. They are doing what they do every year and if their schedule conflicts with that of some other aggie events then so be it. Nothing will ever be perfect. Some people just need to get over this kind of sh*t. There are certain events such as muster and taps that display the aggie spirit and embody what being an aggie is about. I agree that it is wrong to schedule other events on these days but it is not a required event to attend. If someone does not want to attend yell practice, taps or muster I'm not going to hold it against them. And it's also an individuals choice to join a greek organization, if you would rather attend some other event then don't join that organization or get over it.
RAT90
AG
spoken like somebody who has always been picked last to play kickball.

poor rollergirl. poor, poor rollergirl.
Rollergirl
Thank you for the sarcasm rat.

I'm just saying that not everyone comes here to go to every single aggie event that occurs. Get over it and move on. That's all.
SigEast02
Man, you are way too pissed about a few hundred girls missing first yell. First of all, I know from a source within the student affairs office that the sororities had no choice on the matter. The decision was handed down by their nationals. Granted, they could have possibly moved rush, except that it is always the week before school starts. It was A&M's decision to schedule the game before school even started. It's not that big of a deal, but sometimes things just don't work out the way "you" want them.
4stringAg
AG
I need booze and lots of it. Is wet rush still happening?
Fleen97
Get back to work Rollergirl! People need their rooms for some hibbidy dibbidy.
DamnGood'88
Though I think all fraternities and sororities belong in the putrid drippy boil section of deepest darkest hell, I would like to point out that my old roommate, DG's yellowpot in 1986, missed probably half a dozen football games the years he was crew chief and yellowpot - just to work on stack or at site. I thought he was stupid, but we got to use his ticket.

[This message has been edited by DamnGood'88 (edited 8/20/2002 9:26p).]
RAT90
AG
i do not have a problem with somebody missing football games to work on Bonfire.

i do not have a problem with SBs missing Yell for rush . . . is anybody gonna miss them anyways? do we miss them at other events?

Split Wide Tackle 2
AG
Christi '97
The only thing that kind of sucks is that the incoming students who rush won't get to attend their first yell practice as students. I know that my first semester I was SO excited about going to my first one, and wouldn't have missed it.
nextmil
I have a question. When does the last fish camp get back? Back when I went, it seemed like the last one came back very close to the start of school. Are they going to be back in time to even get tickets for the game? That would seriously be a shame if the fish missed their first game because they were stuck at something as traditionally AGGIE as fish camp.

"They took the bar, the whole ****ing bar"
Tanya 93
Goodness!

If everyone being Aggie First is that dang important, then maybe some people need to stop criticizing every damn thing people who are also fellow Aggies do.

It doesn't make you anymore redass or Aggieish to constantly harp and criticize every Ag who doesn't follow your narrow definition of what is good, righteous, and proper for an Ag to do.

I am no fan of the Greek system, but build a bridge and get over it. You are just as bad as those you complain about with the constant whining about fellow Ags.

Keegan 99 = BeBopAG?
Christi '97
http://fishcamp.tamu.edu/
12th Man Ag
AG
Good question nextmil. I called the ticket office and they said a plan is currently being developed to either get the Session F campers tickets as they load the bus to leave for Lakeview or as they return. All folks in Session F will be able to get tickets for the ULaLa game.

I sure hope we get 80,000+ for the opener. Is the excuse about school not starting yet a valid one? How many on this board would not be on campus on Saturday with school starting Monday even if there wasn't a game? I think 99% of the students would have been on campus even if there wasn't a game.
Burdizzo
AG
If the greeks want to schedule events that conflict with football, that seems perfectly fine. However, I think they should give up block seating.

cake.eat-it-too.not
12th Man Ag
AG
They didn't plan an event that conflicts with football. They planned an event that conflicts with Yell Practice.

Get over it.
nextmil
Currently being developed? They'd better hurry up and develop the plan, they've got a week before fish pull day.

I don't think its the fact that the game is being played the Saturday before school starts, but if I want to go to the game, then I would have to leave work a week early this summer to pull my tickets. Some students need that extra 40+ hours of work during the summer to make ends meet during the school year. Add that with the fact that we are playing ULaLa, and the stands will be half-full. I hope they aren't, but I think they will be.

"They took the bar, the whole ****ing bar"
12th Man Ag
AG
next,

Yeah, that plan needs to be developed pretty quick. I don't know if the lady on the phone had the complete answer, but that is what she told me.

I have a hard time with the extra week of work argument. If the extra week of pay is really going to make that much difference, then you can always pull your tickets on Thursday or Friday. Granted, you won't get as good of seats, but to say people won't be at the game because they need to work that week and can't pull tickets doesn't hold much water with me. I hope our students are not so indifferent about Aggie football nowadays that they will make up excuses to miss games.

[This message has been edited by 12th Man Ag (edited 8/21/2002 9:34a).]
Christi '97
quote:
I hope our students are so indifferent about Aggie football nowadays that they will make up excuses to miss games.

??
-EAD-
Here is another thing to contemplate... "Aggies First" is an organization not a slogan. They put forth an effort to make sure the Greeks don't put their differences in chapters over the fact that their all "Aggies First." So maybe you'll find it a little less hypocritical...

They did try to work it out to go also... but hell I wouldn't spend 20 bucks to go to midnight yell... yea its fun, its a tradition, but come on...

There are 44,000 students at A&M, and the average yell practice has maybe... maybe 12,000 to 15,000 people there after the first few that the fish camps go to. Where the hell are the rest of them???

At least the Greeks are doing rush... They do it the same time every year, its not like they chose to have some random event on the same day.

Now I have a question for you... How many times have you been to Victory yell after we win at Kyle?
Christi '97
quote:
They did try to work it out to go also... but hell I wouldn't spend 20 bucks to go to midnight yell... yea its fun, its a tradition, but come on...

Perhaps I'm missing something here. Why would they have to spend $20 to go to yell?

quote:
Now I have a question for you... How many times have you been to Victory yell after we win at Kyle?

Lots of times, actually. I do think it's a shame that more people don't show up for yell. I always loved going to them.
-EAD-
The 20 bucks is referring to paying for the busses to take them as a group to and from the yell practice... the logistics would be just horrible to begin with.

What happened is they discussed everyone going but Panhellinic has already blown their budget for this year (they got a new guy in charge of it, and he has really botched it up... the recruiting packets that go to all of the rushees every year aren't even going out because he doesn't have the money), the soroities don't really have the money because they haven't recieved dues yet, and there wasn't a "rush" budget to include it. So what happend is they said the girls could foot the bill for the transportation. Riiiight... So it was a plan that got shot down and was the only one the head offered. Yes the one who they had to make changes with is an Administrator at A&M... so why not send your complaints to him?

[This message has been edited by -EAD- (edited 8/21/2002 9:41a).]
12th Man Ag
AG
Oops. Sorry about that Christi. I meant to say
quote:
I hope our students are not so indifferent about Aggie football nowadays that they will make up excuses to miss games.
Cubby '96
It used to be right outside my window in Puryear Ramp 3. I would lean out the window after the game and join in.

After I got everything set up right, I had my stereo speakers in the window and the Aggie Band CD cued up to the whoop after the "Recall...Step off...on...Hullabaloo."

It sounded like there were dozens of people in my room whooping.
Christi '97
quote:
So it was a plan that got shot down and was the only one the head offered. Yes the one who they had to make changes with is an Administrator at A&M... so why not send your complaints to him?

I'm not complaining; just didn't know what you meant about the $20 part. I'm not getting into the whole Greek vs Non-Greek debate again. Although I am no fan of the Greek system, 2 good friends of mine were very involved in their sororities (one of whom has posted on this thread). It's not worth pissing off a friend over something that really doesn't matter much anyway.
Christi '97
12th Man Ag - I know; I was just messing with you.
Jeff99
I'll repeat the sentiment mentioned earlier: The sorrority girls wouldn't be going to Yell Practice, anyway.

And by the way, I do love the Greek block. That way, I don't have to constantly move out of the way when the Greeks leave games a minute before halftime. Definitely improves my game watching experience.

This really is much ado about nothing. I just wish the Greeks would be honest about their lack of interest in Aggie traditions. I don't expect all Aggies to be red ass. Just come out and say, "We'd rather do Bid Day than Yell Practice and that's the decision we made." That admission would end the rancor and debate once and for all.
-EAD-
Christi I know you were just wondering... I'm just putting it out there so everyone can read it.

By the by my G-F didn't know your roommate...but there are a few years between them. She's going to check out the composite picture at the house today just to see if she recognizes her face.
Christi '97
Oh, ok. I thought maybe your gf would have been a freshman when she was a senior. The 2 of you still need to come over to the house for dinner and to play pool one night...

[This message has been edited by Christi '97 (edited 8/21/2002 9:48a).]
elbow
AG
Wait, were are Keegan's comments now?

Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.