Greeks At It Again

3,099 Views | 77 Replies | Last: 22 yr ago by
Keegan99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just when I start to think my opinions of Greeks are unfounded, they pull something like this to affirm my beliefs.

Apparently they feel their activities are more important than the first Yell Practice. "Aggies First", indeed.

Sorority "Bid Day Celebration" Still Set For Aug. 30

(*)After much discussion, the 11 sororities included in the 2002 Panhellenic Council at Texas A&M have voted unanimously to keep the Friday (Aug. 30) "Bid Day Celebration" as originally scheduled. The group had considered moving "Bid Day," a 24-hour period starting with the time when invitations are extended to join campus sororities, because it is scheduled to begin at 3:30 p.m., and participants would not be able to take part in Midnight Yell Practice later that evening. "Some parents, students and former students expressed concern about the tight scheduling of activities. The entire week already has been compressed from seven days of events into five because of other university activities and moving Bid Day would shorten it further into only four," said Keli Bottles, president of the Panhellenic Council. Bottles added that council members reminded her during the discussion that this is a yell practice but not "First Yell," which will be the weekend of Sept. 20. "First Yell" is usually held at the first home football game but this year it is being moved to the second home game because the first game, on Aug. 31, takes place before fall classes actually begin.

-

dkeegan@aggies.com
Kyle Field - Where the 12th Man is a standing tradition, home field advantage is defined, and opponents get Marooned

[This message has been edited by Keegan99 (edited 8/20/2002 4:30p).]
Jay Omega
Bid Day?!?!

OMG!

I hope they pick me!!!

elbow
AG
So?

Who gives a flying flip?
McJulie-O
AG
Keegan ! Congrats on the new job... I hope you enjoy it as much as Tim does.

You know he walks to work, don't you?
Keegan99
AG
McJulie-O: Thanks! I'm really excited about it. My interview experience there was great. I didn't know Tim walks to work - that must be nice. I don't think I'll be able to do that, though, as I'm about 7 miles away, and I'd have to cross 35 and MoPac
SigEast02
whatever...

Is it really that big of a deal? They have four more years here.

[This message has been edited by SigEast02 (edited 8/20/2002 4:41p).]
GreekAg
Keegan... Congrats on the new job, BeBopAg will be proud of his new replacement.
-EAD-
For the record, the sororities aren't supposed to have interaction with guys during rush...as part of the rush rules. They had the option to go to midnight yell and sit as an entire "greek life" block on the third deck... but they all would have had to stay together the whole way which means they would have to rent busses to get there and back. It really isn't worth the cost to do that.

They did however switch their rush schedules around to make sure they would be able to go to the football games.

If you want to get on someones case about midnight yell, how about all the people that don't even bother with midnight yell and aren't even involved in any types of organizations.
nextmil
First off, I really could care less. Half the students won't even be in town for the game, I'm glad this game is not televised, it would be embarrasing to see the stands for this game. Second, who is the genius that scheduled a game before the start of school? Many students work during the summer up until the start of the semester and can't get up to B/CS to get tickets. I'm one of them. Plus, can you imagine the traffic, not only is it a home-game weekend, but it is also move-in time. I, for the first time ever, feel sorry for PTTS.

"They took the bar, the whole ****ing bar"

[This message has been edited by nextmil (edited 8/20/2002 4:46p).]
Keegan99
AG
SigEast02 - it doesn't matter. If they are 'Aggie First', then they wouldn't be requiring members to miss Yell.

If you're going to have a slogan like that, then make sure your actions don't directly contradict it by placing your activities ahead of University-wide traditions.

[This message has been edited by Keegan99 (edited 8/20/2002 4:48p).]
AggieSarah01
AG
Didn't they have a function last year during Silver Taps? That is what makes me mad.
elbow
AG
I think this should go under the "Who gives a crap" file.

Its not that big of a deal. They'll just be more room and more Kyle field nachos for me to enjoy!
SigEast02
Everybody's"Äggie First" But if some other organization were to miss ahome football game which I feel is much more important than first yell, you probably would care less.

On and on with the I hate greeks rant. I've heard it a million times.
Keegan99
AG
SigEast02 - quit tryting to rationalize. If the Greeks want to use a slogan like 'Aggies First', then they need to back it up, even when it's inconvenient to their social calendar. Otherwise, drop the slogan from the glossy brochures.

I never was involved in any organization - RHA, Student Government, etc. - that would not have rescheduled or cancelled an event that was MANDATORY for members if there was a conflict with a University-wide tradition.

[This message has been edited by Keegan99 (edited 8/20/2002 5:12p).]
819 Ag
Keegan,

I didn't know you lived in Austin. It is also good to hear that you got a job in this city with the market the way it is now.

I am thankful everyday that I am employed. If you don't mind me asking, where are you going to work? I am determined to meet all of the people who post here.
GreekAg
Do you have anything better to worry about in life. Honestly, I would have hoped that this past year might have taught some people that.
RAT90
AG
what happened?

all i know is we still do not like greeks.
Mrs. Goose
AG
For those of you who disagree with the RUSH schedule, what would you suggest instead?

I agree it is an unfortunate conflict, but Fall RUSH is always the week preceding the start of Fall classes. The first home game typically does not occur before classes start. The requirement that the Bid Classes stick together with their new sororities is actually new as of a few years ago ('97 maybe...somewhere around there), and it is for the girls' protection.

I agree the conflict stinks, but things don't always get tied up in pretty packages, unfortunately.
elbow
AG
I agree with Goose. Its pretty weird that we are even starting classes in September..
RAT90
AG
well, FOW is the week before classes . . . and i guarantee you the Corps will be going to Yell.
Christi '97
Mrs. Goose - off topic, but are you who I think you are (are your initials L.G.)? Shoot me an email at christi97@excite.com.
Christi '97
Question:

quote:
The requirement that the Bid Classes stick together with their new sororities is actually new as of a few years ago ('97 maybe...somewhere around there), and it is for the girls' protection.

Why is it for their protection? Or, what are they needing protection from?
3rd Platoon
AG
RAT90:

Exactly.
Flip Pallot
When I was at A&M, midnight yell, even the first midnight yell of the year, was optional.
Since when can no one plan anything that creates a conflict?
Grow up - this greek versus non-greek, corps versus non-reg stuff is really juvenile.

[This message has been edited by Flip Pallot (edited 8/20/2002 5:36p).]
elbow
AG
Missing a yell is not that big of a deal. Its not as if many of these girls actually attend yell in any other circumstance.
Mrs. Goose
AG
C97,

I am exactly who you think I am!! : )

Original handle or what!!

As for protection...Bid Day started getting out of hand as far as boys and booze was concerned. These girls are away from home for the first time, and are only 17 & 18 yrs old. We've all heard the stories, and with Greek Life already fighting an uphill battle at A&M, it was in everyone's best interest to keep that day a celebration within each chapter only.

RAT90 & 3P,
Greek Life and Corps Life are totally different. You can't compare apples and oranges. Besides, on Bid Day, the girls won't even see the other chapters. The Corps will be seeing other people. It's just different. I'm not saying one is better than the other, they are just different.
Keegan99
AG
quote:
For those of you who disagree with the RUSH schedule, what would you suggest instead?

I suggest you find a way to allow your members to attend Yell, otherwise your 'Aggies First' talk is nothing more than hypocritical rhetoric. There are Aggie Traditions. They are more important than your organization's activities. Work around them.

I'm just curious... where do the Greeks draw their little 'Aggies First' line?

Would they have a mandatory event that conflicts with Muster? Taps? Football Game? Elephant Walk? All-U Night? Ring Dance? Midnight Yell?

Is there some Aggie tradition and greek activity priority system?

[This message has been edited by Keegan99 (edited 8/20/2002 5:49p).]
HuskerAggie
Regular on Flour, rice, cheese, refried beans, white chicked, BBQ sauce, pico, tomatoes, both onions, cilantro and lettuce.
Mrs. Goose
AG
Elbow,

When I was at A&M (and it wasn't that long ago) EVERYONE I knew that was in a sorority (mine and others) went to EVERY Yell. Greek parties were planned around it. Every Yell you would see people dressed up for whatever kind of function it was (costume, formal, athletic, whatever). I never missed a Yell...I looked forward to them, as did almost everyone I knew.
RAT90
AG
my point about posting about FOW was not to do a greek/corps debate, rather to show that another organization has activities the week before school and they change their schedule to go to Yell.

but as mentioned before, who cares if greeks go Yell? it just emphasizes our point about them when they do not go.
Jay Omega
What fine looking young men!

3rd Platoon
AG
Apples and Oranges? No.

Greeks, Corps and GDIs....ALL AGGIES.

Yell Practice may not seem like a big deal to some, but it's still a highly spirited event. Non-involvement or an uninterested attitude towards seemingly non-important events are what give Greeks and 2%ers a bad wrap.

To me, I'm more loyal to the fact that I'm an AGGIE than I am in the fact that I was in the Corps. An uninterested attitude says something different when it comes to others.

---------------------------------------
aka Commander 99

TEXAS AGGIES
RAT90
AG
apples and oranges indeed - one shows Aggie Spirit and the other wears maroon bows in their heads.
Mrs. Goose
AG
K99,

I can't speak for all sororities, but ours planned around all those type of Aggie functions. Bid Day is different. AND, it isn't a decision that is SOLELY within the control of the collegians. (Not that they don't have a vote at all...they just don't make 100% of those type decisions) National gets involved in this as well. I can't begin to tell you how many rules & regs govern Greek Life for all NPC sororities worlwide. The most stringent being around RUSH. Unfortunatly, this is not solely an Aggie decision.

Please don't get me wrong...I'm about as red ass as they come. I think this whole thing is really a shame, but I understand the Greek side as well. Please don't think that none of these girls (escpeccially the actives) are not disappointed in missing out.
GreekAg
We wear whit visors with maroon letters... Please get it right.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.