Greeks At It Again

3,097 Views | 77 Replies | Last: 22 yr ago by
Face
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
what's first yell?
GreekAg
Funny... You know, I have only gone to a handful of Yell Practices during my day, we couldn't go as players and by the time I stopped playing it just never came up. I also never dunked my ring. I thought it was a stupid tradition and it wasn't something I ever had a desire to do. I also still wear it with the numbers facing in. I had such a great time after I got it and started wearing it that I didn't want to change anything about it. Like a good luck thing.

I guess by your estimation, I am a pretty bad Aggie.
elbow
AG
Well, I went to Yell once last year, because I always had something better to do, and I couldn't stand smart asses making fun of Boo Boo under their breath all the time (no one would talk **** to his face, though!).
I might not get an Aggie ring, it all depends on my finances when I order it next Spring. And IF I do decide to get one, I'll probably get a white gold one because I think yellow gold is gaudy. And IF I do get a ring, I won't dunk it because I think its the stupidest "tradition" at A&M (I would never condone my younger bro binge drinking, why should I do it myself?).
So I guess I am a bad Aggie, too, but I don't really care, because I am comfortable with my Aggieness. When people criticize it, I don't feel any less of an Aggie.
mhayden_original
Greek or non-greek, mhayden has to wonder where -- all of these people that bash other for not being red-ass, and claim they are so red-ass -- are at when Reed Arena is half empty during basketball games? You know, this school has sports other than football -- (hell the basketball team at least makes IMPROVEMENTS every year). Something about a black pot and a kettle come to mind.
Keegan99
AG
The issue here is not that the individual is choosing not to attend an event. Plenty of Ags elect not to go to Yell, basketball games, victory yells, etc., and that's an individual choice.

The problem is that a major campus organization is effectively PROHIBITING its members from participating in an Aggie tradition. It's even worse when you consider that it affects many freshmen who have just returned from fish camp, learned the yells, and are hopefully motivated about being an Aggie.

There is a HUGE difference between CHOOSING not to attend and not being PERMITTED to attend.

-

dkeegan@aggies.com
Kyle Field - Where the 12th Man is a standing tradition, home field advantage is defined, and opponents get Marooned
agracer
AG
quote:
I can't begin to tell you how many rules & regs govern Greek Life for all NPC sororities worlwide

wow, what was I thinking being a non-reg at A&M....I should have spent all that free time and money I didn't have on greek life..oh wait, they wouldn't have taken someone with no money like me.
Aggie01here
once again proving that Frats = Feces
mhayden_original
Keegan:

Terribly flawed arguement... Are you saying that these girls didn't have a CHOICE whether they wanted to Rush or not?

I think the fault lies in the fact that there is a game before school is even in session. By scheduling this game, A&M has actually NOT PERMITTED many students to go to the game because they are unable to attend due to having to move in that weekend (I believe that is the big move-in weekend at the dorms). A&M did not offer them and their families a CHOICE.

A&M football plays Baylor on the 12th of October. That same day the volleyball AND soccer teams play here. A&M is NOT PERMITTING the football players to attend the volleyball and soccer games to show SCHOOL SPIRIT.

There are countless other examples.

Bottom line, the thread was started because you don't like Greeks. I'm pretty sure the Greeks will survive without your support, so don't worry too much about it. You point out a specific event that due to conflicting schedules, some greeks won't be able to attend -- but you don't post about the COUNTLESS other conflict schedules that will happen throughout the year that will keep one student organization from supporting the school or another student organization. That's the way life is.

I'm sick of people like yourself bashing other organizations because they aren't "Aggie enough". Who are you to say what is "Aggie enough" ? I don't see you at the all of the basketball home games -- is football games and yell practice the only things required to be a "true aggie" ? Or maybe "Aggie enough" is just the stuff that you actually have the time to do, anything else is just extra? Seems pretty convienent to me.

On the same note, I'm sick of people bashing other groups on campus just because they don't like them... Do you kids not have lives? Greeks suck, corps sucks, < enter organization here that I'm not a part of > sucks... Seems like some of you need a boost of self-confidence.
nextmil
Aggie01, this has nothing to do with the fraternities. These are the sororities/womens fraternities that are in this unfortunate situation.

"They took the bar! The whole ****ing bar!

"What? Over? Did you say 'over'? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?"

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.