2019 Men's Tennis

22,920 Views | 181 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by mullokmotx
Pac12Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Looks like Hady Habib is rejoining the team after playing professionally for the past 18 months. He left the program after the Spring 2017. I have mixed emotions about this. After Kypson's 1 and done last year, and now Habib, I am really confused about some of these NCAA rules.

Pac12Aggie
UGA coach Manny Diaz tweeted this, pretty sure it's related to this situation:

Pac12Aggie
bigfoot10s
AG
He could have been taking online courses similar to JFF. Needed this to compete this year. Losing Kypson was a big, albeit expected, blow.
ag50
AG
The men's team has made a joke out of the word"student athlete", we rented Kypson last year and paid for him to play pro for 6 months while
He never attended a class on campus, now gonna rent Habib for the spring. They recruit kids to go to class and make grades and a different set of players to play matches.
SlickRick
Complete abuse of what it means to be a student athlete, but what else would one expect when it's a longhorn who is the leader of the program.
SA68AG
AG
SlickRick said:

Complete abuse of what it means to be a student athlete, but what else would one expect when it's a longhorn who is the leader of the program.
Tennis season is officially here ! Slick Rick has taken a shot at Denton.
bigfoot10s
AG
SlickRick said:

You act like we are the only place that does this.
SlickRick
Just because other programs do this, doesn't mean Texas A&M should. I would say that there are very few programs that have done the Kypson deal and very few that have done the Habib deal in back to back seasons or forever for that matter. Doing whatever it takes to win is a poor message to send to young men.
bigfoot10s
AG
SlickRick said:

Just because other programs do this, doesn't mean Texas A&M should. I would say that there are very few programs that have done the Kypson deal and very few that have done the Habib deal in back to back seasons or forever for that matter. Doing whatever it takes to win is a poor message to send to young men.

That may have been your first post ever not mentioning Denton. Well done, you're making a positive change!
SlickRick
Hey littlefoot! Denton is the head coach so it is of course about him and who is doing this.
Gap
AG
Do you follow college basketball? Why is Kypson any different than a one and done there?
Pac12Aggie
agwarrior
AG
I think Diaz is onto something. We should try to snag McEnroe for the spring season. Maybe he and Hadi can be doubles partners.
Harry Dunne
The Power, Promise and Pitfalls of Adderall Are Well Known at One Fabled Tennis Program

Quote:

On July 10 the local DA's office issued an arrest warrant for (UGA Assistant Coach) Hodge, charging him with a felony for purchasing a controlled substance and a misdemeanor for theft. Hodge was booked into Athens--Clarke County jail at 10:50 a.m. on July 11 and was released that afternoon after posting bail.

That same day, the DA's office charged a UGA tennis player, a redshirt freshman, with a felony count of selling a controlled substance. It was Alex Diaz, the coach's 19-year-old son.

Maybe Diaz should worry more about keeping his own house in order.
tk for tu juan
If the NCAA deems the players eligible, then what is everyone's problem?
SlickRick
Just because it's legal doesn't mean it's ethical. Another reason why the ncaa is a joke.
bucsfan2
Anyone at the matches today or have scores?
bigfoot10s
AG
And then there's this...

ag50
AG
You've made our point ^^^^^^^if that's the direction of our program, I'd rather not have men's tennis, my money will go to sports that promote student athletes
Gap
AG
First duel match of the year underway against Abilene Christian from Burbank, California. Abilene Christian is 2-0 in California on the weekend with wins over Pepperdine and Azusa Pacific. They look to have a decent top of the lineup but I'm guessing we are a lot stronger at the bottom of it.

Gap
AG
Singles lineup:
tk for tu juan
ConsolParent said:

You've made our point ^^^^^^^if that's the direction of our program, I'd rather not have men's tennis, my money will go to sports that promote student athletes

So I guess you will not be donating to football then
Gap
AG
Raven
S
I see where the Aggies are picked fourth in the SEC coaches poll. Will be interesting to see how that looks at the end of the season.
bucsfan2
Ags win 4-0 against UTRGV!
Gap
AG
Aggies win a tough match against Western Michigan 4-1 in the ITA Kickoff Event and face Virginia on Sunday for a spot in the ITA National Men's Team Indoor Championship in February in Chicago.
Raven
S
Aggies take on Virginia At 2. Shapes up as a tough match. Number 1 player for Virginia is special. Joined them in January and playing 1. If you are in the area stop by because we will need all the help we can get.
Gap
AG
Habib hasn't played yet for us. Anyone know when we might see him?
Raven
S
Norte Dame I am told.
Gap
AG
Virginia takes the doubles point and leads 1-0.
Raven
S
Aggies fall to UVA 4-3
SlickRick
Denton better get his pro in the lineup ASAP
bigfoot10s
AG
You literally never stop. I don't get it. I don't understand what you get out of being so negative.
bucsfan2
Close match. Really thought we got hosed on some calls from the UVA players in doubles.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.