2019 Men's Tennis

22,955 Views | 181 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by mullokmotx
MidTnAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Big jump.
bucsfan2
Great win against UGA. Carlos looked fantastic on 1 and demolished the 20th ranked singles player. Guido was tough as nails to win in the third set and took us to a 4-3 victory. Next week we get to face Ohio State.. time to see if we've grown since ITA kickoff.
Raven
S
We also have Tennessee and Incarnate Word on Saturday. Tennessee should be another close match.
rugger74
AG
Knocked off UT to go 3-0 in SEC.
Raven
S
While the scoreboard reads 6-1 Aggies, it was a real battle. Doubles hotly contested and carlis lost in straight sets at 1 and Barney won in straight sets at 4, the other four singles matches went to three sets. Solid win for the Aggies.
Raven
S
Carlos
Raven
S
Aggies to Incarnate Word 7-0.
CUtiger_butA&Mtennis
Taking on #1 Ohio State tonight. OSU #1 JJ Wolf (and #1 singles player in the nation) won't be playing because he's in Canada playing a pro tournament. Great chance for the Aggies
Chapa96
AG
CUtiger_butA&Mtennis said:

Taking on #1 Ohio State tonight. OSU #1 JJ Wolf (and #1 singles player in the nation) won't be playing because he's in Canada playing a pro tournament. Great chance for the Aggies
Ags lose doubles point but win 1st sets on courts 1,2,4,5,6. Keep it going!
Chapa96
AG
Ags win on courts 2 & 5. Now up 2-1. Ag court three is up 5-0 in the third set!
Chapa96
AG
Ags up 3-1!!
Gap
AG
Barnaby up 5-3 with a chance to close it out on court 4.
Gap
AG
Guido up 5-3 with a chance to close it out on court 6.
agwarrior
AG
BOOM! Big win!!
Gap
AG
Barnaby gets the win. Ags lead/win 4-1 and they will play out the other 2 matches.

We actually have a chance to win all 6 singles matches. We led 3-2 on court 1 in the 3rd set and Guido leads 5-4 in the 2nd set trying to close it out.
Raven
S
I am in New Orleans, but following the match. What a great win for this young Aggie team. See everyone in Baton Rouge Saturday!!
HiddenAg2
Great win for the team. If we can start winning the doubles point against elite competition, we can do some damage in the NCAAs.
Gap
AG
Ohio St. comes back to win the last 2 matches but the Aggies win the match 4-3!
bucsfan2
Ags win 4-2 against LSU and the last match is in a tiebreak, 6-6.
rugger74
AG
Ags beat LSU 4-1, sorry 4-2
bucsfan2
Noah picks up the 5th point! 6-3, 4-6, 7-6(7).
Raven
S
Noah with a real gutsy win. I think Barney just wore his man down. Next up UNO at 4.30
Chapa96
AG
Latest ITA rankings has them now at #9! Odd they still have OSU at #1.
Gap
AG
The #9 Aggies are hosting #20 Oklahoma tonight.

Ags lead 1-0 after winning the doubles point.
agwarrior
AG
Not a great start in singles.
Raven
S
2-2; real battle
Raven
S
Ags win 4-2
agwarrior
AG
Another great win!
bucsfan2
OU players in the stands called the ref on court 1 a slur for mentally disabled folks. Hope we don't schedule them again.
Raven
S
4-3 final
Truvada_for_prep
bucsfan2 said:

OU players in the stands called the ref on court 1 a slur for mentally disabled folks. Hope we don't schedule them again.

Omg no way are you ok ?
mullokmotx
AG
I heard yesterday that the format for the NCAA tournament has changed this year in that only 8 teams make the final. I looked on NCAA sports.com but couldn't find anything. Does anyone know what the tournament format is and is the women's tournament the same format as the men?
whitehart
Super regional format added to DI tennis
Modification to begin for 2019 championships
January 19, 2017 9:10pm Greg Johnson

A super regional format is coming to the Division I Men's and Women's Tennis Championships in 2019.
That year, the 16 teams advancing from first and second rounds of the tournament will participate in two-team super regionals on the campuses of the higher-seeded teams. The eight super regional winners for each gender will then advance to the finals site. The Division I Competition Oversight Committee supported the change Tuesday during its meeting at the NCAA Convention in Nashville, Tennessee.

Currently, teams advancing out of the second round move directly to the finals site. Part of the rationale for the change is to provide teams with another opportunity to generate local support and highlight their programs in a championship-caliber competition.

The Division I Men's and Women's Tennis Committee also believes the super regional round will address existing scheduling challenges presented by the current Division I Men's and Women's Tennis Championships format.

The number of teams advancing to the finals site will be reduced from 16 to eight per gender. That will in turn reduce the days of competition from six to four and eliminate the strain of completing eight matches on each of the first two days of competition. The format will also provide scheduling flexibility in the event of inclement weather.
Chapa96
AG
whitehart said:

Super regional format added to DI tennis
Modification to begin for 2019 championships
January 19, 2017 9:10pm Greg Johnson

A super regional format is coming to the Division I Men's and Women's Tennis Championships in 2019.
That year, the 16 teams advancing from first and second rounds of the tournament will participate in two-team super regionals on the campuses of the higher-seeded teams. The eight super regional winners for each gender will then advance to the finals site. The Division I Competition Oversight Committee supported the change Tuesday during its meeting at the NCAA Convention in Nashville, Tennessee.

Currently, teams advancing out of the second round move directly to the finals site. Part of the rationale for the change is to provide teams with another opportunity to generate local support and highlight their programs in a championship-caliber competition.

The Division I Men's and Women's Tennis Committee also believes the super regional round will address existing scheduling challenges presented by the current Division I Men's and Women's Tennis Championships format.

The number of teams advancing to the finals site will be reduced from 16 to eight per gender. That will in turn reduce the days of competition from six to four and eliminate the strain of completing eight matches on each of the first two days of competition. The format will also provide scheduling flexibility in the event of inclement weather.

And this years tournament will be on the USTA site in Orlando. I'll be attending hoping to see both teams there.
Raven
S
I am impressed by the progress this team has made since the beginning of the year. Number 1 doubles has been dominant recently. I was afraid we would not ever get it figured out, but winning the last two matches in doubles gives reason to hope. The six line has been a roller coaster all year, but Austin played well last night, and maybe he is ready to step up and claim the spot. Three road matches coming up will be tough, but I think we have a punchers chance in all of them.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.