**** Official Dallas Stars 2018-2019 season thread****

148,765 Views | 2608 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Danny Vermin
Kashchei
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Dobby stops two 3 on 1s and a 2 on 0 in a five minute span and our offense can't puncture a rook?
GrapevineAg
AG
I know Ben got the late goal, but he was almost invisible before that (except for his penalty). Wish he'd step up like Seguin has.
Out in Left Field
AG
Stars blow. Cowboys blow.
HockeyAg07
AG
You know it's a tough sports day when the Aggie basketball team is the bright spot.
Ag 11
AG
Hard to win when you only score one goal. Two games in a row. Gotta get the offense going again
Danny Vermin
I feel a trade coming just to shake things up. Have no idea who but I think it will happen shortly after the all star break.
turfman80
AG
Montgomery sounding very frustrated during his post game press conference last night with the players lack of effort, execution and attitude in that turd of a game.
rather be fishing
AG
Cogliano for Shore.

No complaints from me.
FWAppraiser
AG
I really like Shore, on and off the ice. The kid plays hard, and I had the chance for my son to meet him and he actually stopped and talked to him for a few minutes (as opposed to sign, pose, and move on).

As far as Cogliano, he's a fast skater and a veteran presence. But he's quite a bit older than Shore, has a similar PPG production over his career (this year he's actually behind shore), and he has a higher cap hit.

I'll withhold judgement, but this just seems like a meh kind of trade.

Rumor is that Nill has been shopping Ritchie for at least a couple of weeks. I guess there wasn't interest (why would there be?). This Shore trade almost seems like doing something for the sake of doing something. But what do I know? I've become overly cynical when it comes to Jim Nill. Hopefully Cogliano pumps some life and leadership into the locker room.
GrapevineAg
AG
Yeah, I can't get excited about this move either. I hope I'm wrong.
Danny Vermin
Well, happened sooner than I thought but not surprised at all. I think there might be a couple more honestly.
Danny Vermin
Just read an entire 6 page thread on one of the Ducks boards about this trade, seems like they mostly hate it so that's a good thing.
FWAppraiser
AG
He was a fan favorite in Anaheim. I like him too, just not sure the trade makes sense, unless they're planning some other pretty drastic moves in the forward department.
FWAppraiser
AG
For those that don't subscribe to the Athletic (Sean Shapiro''s Stars coverage alone is worth the cost), there was a pretty damning quote about Benn from the organization:

"Last month a team source told me that in hindsight, Benn winning the Art Ross could have been the worst thing to ever happen to this franchise. It was an award that helped Benn demand his massive contract and set unfair expectations for a player about to exit his prime. In hindsight, that was the moment this source said the Stars should have traded Benn for the king's ransom that he would have been worth at the time."

More incompetence from the front office to allow that to come out. It can't lead to anything good.
Wehner High
AG
They're clearly mad with his lack of production both on and off the ice.

They're largest financial asset isn't giving them returns and has them pretty much handicapped for the next six seasons in terms of cap space

Not condoning the Lites comments, but everything else is pretty fair.
GrapevineAg
AG
My son picked up a pair of student tix cheap so we'll get to see this chit show in person. Hope Cogliano is a positive addition.
Kashchei
AG
I've never been to a game where the Stars have been shut out. I hope that streak continues tonight...
GrapevineAg
AG
I hate to say it, but Benn didn't look like his heart was in it tonight. I saw a lot of effort from Rads, Seguin, Faksa, and even Cogliano. Benn killed a potential 5-on-3 and another PP opp.

I liked a lot of what I saw tonight against the league's best team. Wish they could've netted at least one. Oh well.
Kashchei
AG
Never thought I'd say this, but this team is even more boring to watch than last year's...
ryanhnc10
AG
Even more disappointing is that we finally have pretty solid goaltending and are squandering it. We had 5 or 6 power plays tonight and couldn't muster much
Wehner High
AG
It's time to have Benn be a healthy scratch. Something needs to get through his head that what he's doing isn't good enough
reddirtgigem
I'm done. Blow it up. Get rid of Benn, Klingberg, Spezza, Radulov, and anyone else who doesn't play with heart. I am tired of seeing it. The owner's comments were like a nuke going off in the locker room where you have guys who don't want to be here...especially the so called Captain.

Pick up as many draft picks or quality young players. Make Dickinson, Hintz, and Gurionov and players acquired in trades their core... look for hard working heart players above all. Get the roster going and add a veteran d-man and forward in the off-season for locker room culture. They started that with our trade earlier this week.
Wehner High
AG
I think the only one from my perspective who doesn't play well on your list is Benn (and that's been going on the whole season, not just from the comments)

The bigger problem with the Stars is that Benn is locked in at $9.5M/yr for 6 more years with a no move clause. So they can't even put him up in the expansion draft next year. Makes trading and free agency tricky.

Rads, Klingberg, Seguin, and Miro are now the foundation of this team. Find 2 forwards who can add 50-60 points a season and you've got a contender

It's frustrating that we now have defense and a goalie and no scoring...
reddirtgigem
Case and point... watch some of the fantastic play going on against the Kings right now. Embarrassing
HockeyAg07
AG
Just 8 goals in our last 6 games. And counting. Good grief we have issues.
Kashchei
AG
Because of course we lose to Jack Campbell at home and get outscored by the only team with a worse offense than ours.
Wehner High
AG
They're in their own heads. The Lites comments sparked a fire for a little bit, but as adversity has grown the past few games with lack of production, they are overthinking the game.

You can tell by the amount of shots that either miss the net or hit the goalie square in the chest. Trying to get too perfect with it leads to a bad shot overall.

I'm honestly surprised they didn't have someone go out and fight in the third period to spark a fire
reddirtgigem
Was hoping to wake up and hear news of Nill or some players being let go... sadly we are complacent of our own mediocrity.
gomerschlep
AG
Last night was the first game I've gone to this year, though I've watched a ton on TV.

Man, they looked lazy. Couldn't pass, couldn't keep the puck in the zone. They looked like a college basketball team trying to play an NBBA team. Just awful. They were booed by their own fans multiple times. The arena was half empty by the third period.

I don't know what the deal is, but I almost feel like they need to totally tear this thing down a rebuild it. They have talent but just don't function as a team. I couldn't really point to one specific player, it was just flat out embarrassing.
Kashchei
AG
I'm all in for a total rebuild. We've been mediocre for a decade. I would rather flat out suck and build toward a bright future than fool ourselves into thinking we're a contender. The only untouchable piece for me is Heiskanen and maybe Klingberg. Sell everything else.
rather be fishing
AG
Kashchei said:

I'm all in for a total rebuild. We've been mediocre for a decade. I would rather flat out suck and build toward a bright future than fool ourselves into thinking we're a contender. The only untouchable piece for me is Heiskanen and maybe Klingberg. Sell everything else.
Dump Benn and get the ball rolling.
Wehner High
AG
Add Seguin, Rads, Lindell, Bishop, Faksa, Polak, Pitlick, and a couple of the young guys to that list

Trade Benn, Val, Honka, Ritchie, Janmark, Comeau, and Carrick

Realistically speaking, it's going to be extremely difficult to move Benn because of his huge contract

Also, MAYBE keep Spezza if he takes a massive contract cut when he becomes a free agent after the season
FWAppraiser
AG
Benn has a no trade. He's not going anywhere. A decent second line would have solved this team's problems a long time ago. Everyone seemed to realize that but the GM. Now, I'm afraid, Benn peeked earlier in his career than anyone was anticipating. And management sat on theor butts thinking Benn and Seguin is all they'd ever need. They've essentially wasted the primes of their top two forwards. Bishop and Rads are only getting older now too. If they don't make a drastic move by the trade deadline or this offseason, they're going to have to start over, and we'll be looking at another decade of mediocrity.

Lost in all of this is Montgomery not figuring out the NHL game. This team is worse at offense than with Hitchcock, which I didn't think would be possible. Chalk that one up to another bone-headed decision by Jim Nill. Seriously, how long does his overstated contributions to Detroit's 90's success carry him? Because, his track record as GM is awful.

Don't like that Benn is captain? Nill decision. Bringing Val back and signing Comeau as the "answer" to depth scoring? Nill decision. 3 coaches in 3 seasons? Nill. Going out and getting injury prone players in the hopes that they can turn things around, only to have it inevitably not work out? Nill. Horrible drafting? Buck stops with Nill.

If he doesn't go out and aggressively pursue at least 2 scoring forwards before the dealine, he should be fired the day after. And he can take Jim Lites with him.

There, now I feel better. I'll be there tonight because I'm a sucker and just can't quit this team. It's not in me to be a fairweather fan, but I'll trash management til I'm blue in the face.
Out in Left Field
AG
Pretty neat warm up jerseys

Danny Vermin
Not gonna lie, I would buy one of those.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.