***Official 2022 - 2023 Dallas Mavericks Season Thread***

140,775 Views | 1911 Replies | Last: 11 mo ago by M.C. Swag
Trucker 96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
LOL. Well, this roster isn't winning a title, so I guess you take a wild shot and then have his salary coming off in a year (if you don't extend him). Don't like it, but at this point, I guess you put on your Risky Business sunglasses and say "Sometimes you just gotta say what the ****. Make your move"
J.P. 03
AG
NoahAg said:

Crazy. Is there anyone Durant gets along with?

I'd be willing to part with a few future first-round picks to see if he'd get along with Luka
Ol Jock 99
AG
Brunson meeting off per The Ticket
HawthornAggie
AG
ESPN just reported Jalen Brunson to the Knicks was official on This Just In
hph6203
AG
"Gas is too high to be flying to New York for a song and a dance."
hph6203
AG
DannyDuberstein
AG
"You're the smartest guy I ever met, but you're too stupid to see, he made up his mind 12 months ago"

J.P. 03
AG
Not that it would have changed the outcome if this had all been completely above-board, but how exactly have the Knicks already agreed on contract terms with Jalen Brunson before the start of free agency and it's NOT considering tampering? Isn't this the exact scenario the rule was supposed to prevent?
Carlo4
AG
NoahAg said:

So you're telling me there's a chance!

Mavs and Brunson meeting in NY!
Brunson cancelled the meeting and will sign with the knicks. Tampering 101. Like him as a player, but his dad was a huge controlling POS.
Ol Jock 99
AG
So what does tampering get you? A sternly worded letter?
Trucker 96
In theory, up to a $10 million fine (doubled 2-3 years ago) and loss of draft picks. But this is the pet franchise that the NBA desperately wants to be good even though it can't get out of its own way, so at most a strongly worded letter in this case.

The whole incestuous father son connections with the team, coach, player, and agent also gives them all sorts of bogus cover
HawthornAggie
AG
Dang Bradley Beal to the Wizards for 5 years, $251 million
Carlo4
AG
LOL pathetic
hph6203
AG
Cheap at half the price!
NoahAg
Javale McGee, baby!
Let's go, Brandon!
HawthornAggie
AG
NoahAg said:

Javale McGee, baby!

3 years, $20.1 million to the Mavs
Guitarsoup
AG
Dwight Powell, Tim Hardaway Jr. and Davis Bertans could be on the move soon for the Mavericks.

Guitarsoup
AG
Mavs offered 5y/106mm, Knicks going to have to beat that.
MW03
AG
NoahAg said:

Javale McGee, baby!

Guy 1: Wish we had him 6 years ago...
Guy 2: We did...
Guy 1: 10 years ago then
Guitarsoup
AG
HawthornAggie said:

NoahAg said:

Javale McGee, baby!

3 years, $20.1 million to the Mavs
With this contract, JaVale has surpassed Larry Bird's career earnings over 3x.
Texas Ag 15
AG
To who and for what?
Guitarsoup
AG
The Mavs can't pay the reported amount of JaVale McGee's deal and also use a piece of their MLE to sign rookie Jaden Hardy to a multiyear deal (as has also been reported) right now.

They can, however, do so if they move one of the contracts (Powell, Hardaway, Bertans) to get below the luxury tax apron.
Guitarsoup
AG
Texas Ag 15 said:

To who and for what?
No clue. Post by Tim Cato from The Athletic.
Iowaggie
AG
Spaceship
AG
Javale McGee doesn't move the needle at all.
Spaceship
AG
We need to find some dumb sucker to take Bertans' salary.
NoahAg
Spaceship said:

Strictly a role player but certainly an upgrade from Boban. Can take more minutes and offer some rum protection. He'll be a better option than Powell in many situations.
Let's go, Brandon!
Trucker 96
McGee fills a need for sure. Doesn't make them a ton better, but it does address a weakness a number teams have been able to exploit.
ElephantRider
AG
Spaceship said:

We need to find some dumb sucker to take Bertans' salary.

What were the Wizards thinking when they gave him that deal?
Spaceship
AG
NoahAg said:

Spaceship said:

Strictly a role player but certainly an upgrade from Boban. Can take more minutes and offer some rum protection. He'll be a better option than Powell in many situations.

Yes he's better than Boban, a guy who never got off the bench in meaningful games.

But he's on his 10th team now, basically an 8pts/5rebs guy, bad shooter and gets lost on the court at times. He's tall…so I guess in that sense he fills a need but that's about it.
zgolfz85
AG
McGee is more serviceable than y'all are giving him credit for. He just came off a banner year for his career averaging 9 pts, 7 rebs and 1 block per game and most importantly, he's motivated to try and get the starting center role on this team.

McGee told ESPN he expects to be the Mavs' starting center. "I saw some opportunities out there where I was like, 'Oh yeah, if they had a rolling big, they could dominate in a different aspect,'" McGee said of choosing Dallas and playing with Doncic.
Guitarsoup
AG
The exact amount reported on Jalen Brunson's deal with New York $104 million is notable. This is the exact amount that would allow the Knicks to create a three-way sign-and-trade deal out of the recent agreement to send Nerlens Noel and Alec Burks to the Pistons.

Dallas would have to play ball, obviously, but the Mavs are incentivized by the possibility of creating a $12.5 million trade exception.

By setting the deal up this way, the Knicks can technically operate as an "over the cap" team, retain a $9.2 million trade exception from the Kemba Walker trade, and have access to their full non-taxpayer midlevel exception and biannual exception.

The former appears headed to paying free agent center Isaiah Hartenstein (who agreed to a two-year, $16 million deal) and inking a minimum deal for second-round pick Trevor Keels, while the latter could be used to sign another player for up to $4.1 million.

So, while the Knicks don't need to set this up as a sign-and-trade, it helps them at the margins. The $104 million amount indicates they're likely interested in this; they just need Dallas and Detroit to agree.

Carlo4
AG
We could have gotten Drummond for $3 a year?!?

That dude is a walking double double.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/34176019/andre-drummond-agrees-2-year-66-million-deal-chicago-bulls-nba-free-agency-sources-say
HawthornAggie
AG
Zach Lavine, 5 years $215 million to the Bulls
Seven Costanza
AG
It would be interesting to see what some of these very good, but not star-level guys would be making without a soft salary cap or max salary system. The current system creates situations in which the teams have to massively overpay (I guess that's the purpose of it) to keep second-tier players once you are over the cap. Of course I could easily see it being crazier with a completely open market.

Also, I suppose that it's not hurting the popularity of the league, but it's hard not to hate seeing guys sign max contracts and then almost immediately demanding trades to a team of their choosing.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.